Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#699880 - 10/20/02 01:08 PM Newbie needs advice please - Yamaha P80 or RS9?
seanmcgpa Offline

I want to purchase a Christmas gift for a Music Teacher, and need some advice please. We're both absolute newbies, and though he can play piano well, he has no experience in electric pianos / synths, etc.

Our needs are simple - a full sized keyboard with realistic keys that duplicates a piano exceptionally well. It should be "portable" (i.e. not a full digital piano, something we can move easily back and forth). Our only other interest is MIDI - we want to use Finale 2003 and connect the keyboard via midi so we can have Finale record on the fly.

Two of the top contenders are the Yamaha P80 and the Roland Rs-9.

Can anyone comments on the pros / cons of each? If you own one of these babies can you comment?

We do NOT need a lot of bells and whistles, just great sounding piano, please.

Thanks for all your comments!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#699881 - 10/20/02 02:14 PM Re: Newbie needs advice please - Yamaha P80 or RS9?
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
A couple of comments, not so much about the piano as the Finale program.

First, about the Finale financing. You probably know this already, but I'll mention it anyway, General public price is around $500. Finale has academic pricing of closer to $300 for those in Church musical programs, teachers in music educational programs, and students in University Music programs. If someone involved here fits one of those categories, check this possibility out.

Secondly, recording "on the fly" with Finale IS possible, but if a good clean piece of sheet music is what your hoping to have as a result, it won't be without some additional work after the recording session. Finale has 3 methods of entering notes on the sheet music: "Simply Entry" (a click&drag operation done entirely on the monitor), "SpeedyEntry" (MidiKeyboard Pitch entry, QwertyKeyboard Rhythm input), and "HyperScribe" (You play on MidiKeyboard, Finale records everything on the sheet music for you)

HyperScribe sounds like a great idea, (and IS, in fact) but unless you have VERY disciplined rhythm and a VERY steady beat, you will absolutely have to go back and correct a lot of rhythm mistakes to make it readable. It CAN be done, its just not automatically correct. Once you're in there trying to clean up the transcription, you'll need to be familiar with the program's editing and rebar commands, so there will definitely be some learning to be done. Hopefully, there is a person close by with some experience with the program because trying to learn it from scratch with just the tutorials, the videos, and the manual is a bit more than a weekend project and can be pretty frustrating. Call them Finale Technical Assistance guys. They're pretty good and may save you some of that forehead slapping.

As far as the MidiKeyboards, I don't have much information for you. I have a 1999 Technics that I like, and it feeds nicely into the Finale program, which I also like.

Good luck
Bob

#699882 - 10/20/02 07:00 PM Re: Newbie needs advice please - Yamaha P80 or RS9?
seanmcgpa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RKVS1:

HyperScribe sounds like a great idea, (and IS, in fact) but unless you have VERY disciplined rhythm and a VERY steady beat, you will absolutely have to go back and correct a lot of rhythm mistakes to make it readable. It CAN be done, its just not automatically correct. Once you're in there trying to clean up the transcription, you'll need to be familiar with the program's editing and rebar commands, so there will definitely be some learning to be done. Hopefully, there is a person close by with some experience with the program because trying to learn it from scratch with just the tutorials, the videos, and the manual is a bit more than a weekend project and can be pretty frustrating. Call them Finale Technical Assistance guys. They're pretty good and may save you some of that forehead slapping.

\[/b]
Thanks for the heads up. We figured it would involve a learning curve, as the rest of Finale has proven to be pretty tough to get a handle on. We have figured out the basics though and compositions are coming along. I wish there was an up to date instruction guide for mastering Finale 2003.

#699883 - 10/20/02 11:19 PM Re: Newbie needs advice please - Yamaha P80 or RS9?
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Heres an earlier thread from this forum with links to websites related to Finale. Most books in print about Finale are NOT updated each year as it would be too much work. However, the BASICS that you need to get in and get around inside Finale haven't changed that much over the last 5 years. (I'm told) So the books published 2000 or so would still be useful.

Previous PianoWorld Thread with Finale Link info

Hang in there,
Bob

#699884 - 10/21/02 02:13 AM Re: Newbie needs advice please - Yamaha P80 or RS9?
keyplyr Offline

Loc: Southern California
I use the less expensive Finale Allegro (approx $150) but both versions have a "sensitivity" control (sorry, forgot the correct name) where you may set the hyperscribe notation to round-off to a sixteenth, eight, quarter note etc thus avoiding the problem RKVS1 aptly describes.

I have little experience with the Roland Rs-9 outside of briefly playing in music store settings. Seemed like a quality instrument.

I have used the (very portable) Yamaha P-80 in my studio for 2 years and find it a terrific keyboard that met all my needs for a close simulation of piano feel/response. I have commented about this in other threads in this forum.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (Atrys, Anticlock, Austin D, Art_Vandelay, AndrewJCW, 27 invisible), 1299 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294236 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
07/27/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission