Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#700183 - 06/12/03 03:02 AM Yamaha S08
Zymtil Offline

Loc: CS, Texas
First and foremost, (in my hunt for an amplifier)I would like to thank everyone for thier fabulous replies in the past, and for this great forum. I have learned more here than anywhere else.
Second, I would like to state that my search for the best digital piano (for me and my budget, anyway) is still on the prowl. It has taken longer than I had previously expected, but my finances are finally in the clear and I'm ready to make the sacrifises in which I must.
The following question may complicate matters for my situation but, I must ask.
Has anyone had any experiance (owned/play-tested)with the Yamaha S08. I personally have not even seen one in any of the shops I have visited. If anyone has an opinion on this keyboard as to its feel (light, heavy, similarity to the Yamaha p80), or sound as compared to an acoustic, it would be very much appreciated.
Just to let you know, the current models I have my eye on are:
Roland RD-150
Roland FP3
Yamaha P80
Yamaha P120

My primary interest is the sound and feel when compared to an acoustic piano (although, I would like some opinions on the features on the S08, primarily the horde of different sounds (aka: quality of sound), as I will be hooking whatever I buy, up to my computer). Thanks, much.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#700184 - 06/12/03 01:19 PM Re: Yamaha S08
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
I have not tried the S08, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. It has a lot of sounds. I believe Yamaha is coming out with a P90 in July, which is supposed add more sounds and features to the P80 as well as improve the basic piano sound.

Ryan

#700185 - 06/12/03 07:41 PM Re: Yamaha S08
JDWooWoo Offline

Loc: cyberspace
Hi Zymtil,

I tried the S08 for about three seconds and walked away. The action is simply too light. Per Yamaha, it is specifically designed for quickness, such as when playing the drum sounds. I was also disappointed with the RD-150, which has a similarly light action (it is NOT the same as the FP-3 action).

If you have some good speakers already, you probably won't need the FP5 (my baby) or P120, which have built-in speakers. I'd say go for the P80 or FP3. Between the two, it is a matter of taste and financial considerations, as the Roland is generally $300 more.

I chose the Roland because I liked the lighter touch, warmer piano sound and extra voices - well worth the additional cash. Some prefer a firmer touch, a crisper piano sound and couldn't care less about extra voices, in which case the P80 is the clear choice and the $300 can go toward, say, ice cream. :p Good luck!

#700186 - 06/16/03 12:25 PM Re: Yamaha S08
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't mind the action of the S08 (which is the same as the S90, which I took home yesterday). I did have a chance to play an S08 this weekend, and it isn't a bad keyboard.

The only difference between the actions of the S08 and P series digital pianos (at least that I know of) is that in the P series the hammers are heavier in the bass than the treble - the weight gradually descreases as you move up the keyboard. In the S series synths the weight is the same for all keys.

Just a thought, if I were looking in the price range of an S08, I would probably try to find a used or NOS S80 instead. I think the S80 has better sounds overall and is expandable - it can take two of the Yamaha plg boards. For a person who isn't so much interested in synthesis and mostly wants good pianos and MIDI tone generation, the piano and general midi boards look pretty interesting.

Ryan

#700187 - 06/21/03 11:58 AM Re: Yamaha S08
LorenzoGonzalez Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by ryan:
I don't mind the action of the S08 (which is the same as the S90, which I took home yesterday
Ryan[/b]
You really thought they were the same? No way. You definitely bought the right keyboard. And worse yet, the grand piano patch in the S08 is absolutely horrid, horrid, painfully awful. The S90s piano is quite comparable to the P120, which I like just fine.

In fact, the sounds in the S08 are altogether unsatisfactory, and the action is pathetic. Save up for S90 or RD-700! (Ryan, I covet your S90!)

-Lorenzo

#700188 - 06/21/03 02:29 PM Re: Yamaha S08
BC Offline

Loc: illinois
I have tried the S08 and the S90. They are both ok. Feel kind of light and springy. Not real solid. If you really want a good feeling try the Kawai ES1 or the Kawai MP9500. The 9500 is amazing! Good luck.
bc

#700189 - 06/22/03 10:41 AM Re: Yamaha S08
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

According to the specs they are the same action.

Ryan

#700190 - 06/22/03 02:48 PM Re: Yamaha S08
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lorenzo, I like my S90 a LOT. I've had it for a week now and am having a lot of fun putting it through its paces. The UI is not as powerful or user friendly as the Korg Tritons, but I think the waveROMs are the best sounding and most useful of any synth that I've played in this price range. I will be adding in the AN and DX expansion boards next week and am looking forward to having a HUGE palette of sounds.

BC,

Neither the S90 or S08 is designed to mimic the feel of a piano action exactly. They are still synths, after all. They strike a balance between having a weighted and responsive feel but still being light enough to use fast synth and organ techniques.

Ryan

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (36251, ajames, anotherscott, 48 invisible), 1803 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156226 Topics
2294392 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What do you think made you passionate about music/pianos?
by Spuds
49 minutes 59 seconds ago
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
Today at 08:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission