Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#701788 - 12/16/07 02:17 PM Yamaha CVP, Roland, or Studiologic 990 plus Sound Box
FlatsSharpsChords Offline

Loc: Maryland
I currently use a Fatar Studio 90 midi controller and a sound module from Proformance. The keyboard is 88 key and weighted, but not graduated. This cost me about 1k ten years ago.

I am considering the Yamaha CVP 305. The CVP 303 has the Graded Hammer keys, but not GH3. The 305 also has larger speakers and video interface. The CVP 305 is retailing for about 4,700 which seems expensive. I noticed with the CVP 303 some of the electric guitar sounds became worthless with higher notes. The salesman was honest to point that out to me. I'll have to double check the CVP 305.

I could build another midi controller and module that fits with my stereo system. I am happy with my current configuration, but would like a better action and better sounds. It seems that if I got a Studiologic 990XP or 990PRO (this is a midi controller) and a sound module (contains the voices) I got get this done for about 1,300.

I'm also looking at Rolands and Kawai's but not a lot of dealers have them. I am going to try Jason's music center in Baltimore and Chuck Levins in DC.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I play classical, blues and want other voices. I don't record. I'm also looking for good sheet music to explore voices, sounds and effects.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#701789 - 12/16/07 04:22 PM Re: Yamaha CVP, Roland, or Studiologic 990 plus Sound Box
vladn Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I have 990XP in my office but it was a easy decision since I had a server that runs 24/7 and adding software synth to it was a no-brainer. Besides I managed to get new 990XP for USD299 including shipping last year. As far as I know 990Pro is not graded and has lighter hammer action than 990XP.
If you are not into PC software synthesis then look at other options, USD1300 that you've mentioned can get you a decent keyboard with a synth from Yamaha, Roland or Kawai. If you can stretch your budget closer to 2k you can have top notch action and synth - take a look at Kawai MP8II for example. Much better action than 990XP.

#701790 - 12/18/07 01:59 PM Re: Yamaha CVP, Roland, or Studiologic 990 plus Sound Box

Thanks. I think I can spend 3k or so.

I tried the Kawai CP 117 and 137. The wood action on the 137 was great I thought (I'm no expert). But the sounds/voices were not great. Some of the Yamaha voices were excellent: Japanese instruments, guitar. They advertize them as mega sounds, etc. The piano sound on the Kawai was excellent. Both had the feature of "panning" left to right source of sound for lower and higher notes.

So, best action with Kawai, but better voices with Yahama, even granting how the electric guitar whimped out.

They didn't have the Kawai CA91 or MP8II or Rolands. I may try Levin's in Wheaton (DC).

#701791 - 01/03/08 10:55 AM Re: Yamaha CVP, Roland, or Studiologic 990 plus Sound Box

Thanks to everyone in the forum.

From the forum there is universal acclaim for Kawai action. I tried them and liked them. The Kawai CE200 ($1,700) seems a great deal for a dp. The Kawai MP8II ($1,900) is more portable, has more sounds and 192 polyphony. (It may also have a slightly newer action than the CE200). Both of these have to be special ordered as they are not in showrooms around here.

I found the printouts from Sam Ash's site a good way to get info about keyboards.

I tried many of the Yamaha CLP and CVP (Clavinova) series. They range from 1,500-5,000. Many of the sounds/voices are great. They call them Mega voices. Some are poor. I think a lot of people see these in showrooms and buy and don't look at the following models:

Yamaha S90ES (2k) is portable and has the Motif Sound box sounds. The Yamaha CP300 (2,200) is a contender. I have a hard time figuring out the diff between these.

Roland Fantom X8 Workstation (2,999) has a lot of features for recording, drum pad, color LED. The 76 key version saves $500. The drum pad delivered a punchy sound. It has a nice band fill in feature. You play notes/chords the chip backs up your crazy progressions!

Similar to above is the Yamaha Motif XS7 at 2,800 and 76 keys. The Motif sounds get good reviews. It would be great to have the arpeggio functions to try some guitar.

I haven't tried the Kurzweil PC2X yet. (2,200).

I tried the Roland dps, but did not like the sound. I think connecting a dp or workstation to a stereo system is the way to go. Without the sound system the piano sounds anemic.

I have found lots of dps and wss under 3k. It all depends upon whether I need the esotic sounds or not.

Also, I will have to decide whether the Kawai action is more important than the Yamaha Motif sounds.

It seems there are fewer sound modules as the technology is going to PC software.

Yes a digital piano is not equally to a great grand. I played a 40k Yamaha -- great, but not as flexible an instrument.

My top choices are Kawai MP8II, Yamaha S90ES or CP300 or Motif XS7, Roland Fantom.

#701792 - 01/06/08 09:32 AM Re: Yamaha CVP, Roland, or Studiologic 990 plus Sound Box
SPOFF Offline

Loc: Derry NH
Actually you don't have to decide between Kawai action and Motif sounds. For your $3K budget, the MP8ii (256 voices) is $1,900 and a Yamaha MOTIF Rack ES sound module (another 1152 voices!) is $1,100. The MP8ii is a solid MIDI controller with pitch and modulation wheels that can be split into four zones, which all can programmed to play internal voices, external voices or both.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, ADWyatt, 36251, 43 invisible), 1715 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153543 Topics
2250234 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission