Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#701800 - 04/26/04 01:06 AM Kawai
Confused Mom Offline

Loc: Northern Indiana
Let me begin by stating I am not a piano player. I have a musical background but not in piano playing. I am impressed by the depth of knowledge of some of the posts, the jargon is way above me. Cutting to the chase: I have 1 young daughter in piano lessons, also have 1 Yamaha keyboard purchased at local music chain--this does not meet her needs—no pedals, no ability to play forte, etc.

Digital appears to be a viable alternative for us (not knowing like any parent, if the child will blossom or wilt--not wanting a major investment at this time). I have read the posts on polyphony and they have been most valuable. What are the important musts to get in a digital piano? What is reverb, effects, and the other specs they list???

The only shop in our area that sells digital pianos sell exclusively Kawai. Any advice on the different models would be greatly appreciated.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#701801 - 04/26/04 01:51 AM Re: Kawai
Orlando Gibbons Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I own a Kawai MP-9500 digital, and I'm very happy with it. The touch is excellent - it comes reasonably close to the touch of an acoustic. As far as the pedals go, this is the area in which all digitals seem to fall flat. It will sustain in a ultilitarian sense, but artistic pedaling, as far as I can tell, out of the question.

Aside from that, I think its a fine investment.

#701802 - 04/26/04 01:53 AM Re: Kawai
Zymtil Offline

Loc: CS, Texas
Some of the more popular models tend to be the Yamaha P and CLP series, and the Roland RD, HP, and KR series

The most important aspects would likely be: progressivly (or some other similar term such as graded, etc) weighted keys, the sample (sound) quality, and expressibility (which tends to go hand in hand with weighted keys).

As far as the effects go (reverb included), they tend to be just that. They manipulate the sound that the piano produces (for example: distortion could be thought of as an effect, though not all effects are harsh like distortion).

One of the things that can tend to narrow the field is wether you want a digi that looks more like furniture or one that is more utility based.

As far as Kawai is concerned (and I'm definately not the best to ask about this particular brand), I don't know alot about them. It seems that their MP9500 is a pretty nice instrument. I've played some of their lower grade instruments (for example the EX1 I think) and was not that impressed (although, this is just my opinion), for one it lacked in the polyphony department, and I really didn't care for the samples.

#701803 - 04/26/04 09:50 AM Re: Kawai
Confused Mom Offline

We have been suggested by two different dealers a few different models in the CN and CP lines, specifically CN 290 and 390, and CP 95 and 155. Know anything about these?

This is for a young girl so all the "special effects" are going to be beyond her for a few years. I am more concernd about practicality, realizing a few years down the road the selection made at this time may not meet her needs. As with any electronic, it seems to date itself quickly with advances in technology coming quickly.

#701804 - 04/29/04 11:00 AM Re: Kawai
iyi bir piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
The CN-290 it is a nice and affordable digital piano, the action is right and has good tonal quality. Better than any acoustic Upright in the $2000 range price.
Kawai also makes the CA series which they come with wooden keys, nicer cabinetry and better sound system. Check them out too.

#701805 - 04/29/04 03:12 PM Re: Kawai
Confused Mom Offline

Thanks for everyones input. We purchased the CP95. It is very comparable to the CN390 but with more a few more bells and whistles, will post back later with our thoughts on it once it is delivered and has been used a couple of weeks.

#701806 - 04/30/04 02:26 AM Re: Kawai
iyi bir piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Congrats!

#701807 - 05/20/04 09:16 PM Re: Kawai
kyle Offline

Loc: durham,maine
hey. I own a kawai es1. It feels, plays, and sounds great. My only problem is that the sound selecion is limited, but its a piano and thats the sound im looking for. i believe its priced atleast under 1200 online. I got a good deal on min used for 750. hope that helps.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Who's Online
85 registered (Benvolio, 36251, Al LaPorte, barbaram, 27 invisible), 1203 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325961 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission