2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#702177 07/08/03 06:08 PM
M
mhr Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and have been lurking awhile before the first post.

I have been looking for a digital piano for some time and have played most of the Yamaha, Roland, and Kawai product. The only exception is the P250.

I have focused in on the new Kawai ES5 as the most likely candidate and wonder if any on the board have opinions one way or another. My choice basically boiled down to price, size, transportability, decent sound and action. I am prior piano student and will be using the piano as a returning adult student.

The ES5 can be found at the Kawai web page under the new section.

www.kawaius.com

All feedback appreciated.

#702178 07/09/03 02:52 AM
After checking Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, and Technics models in the under $2500 bracket (this was about five years ago), I ended up buying a Technics SX-PC8, a basic model that I believe is no longer manufactured. It has 88 weighed keys, excellent sound, a MIDI out port, two pedals and that's it. It's a straight piano, and I'm very happy with it, except for one little thing, which is I've often wanted to play harpsichord pieces.

So just the other day I was checking out some newer models, and I found little change from a few years ago, at least in the low end.

I always try digital pianos with and without headphones (this is especially important for portables), and Technics definitely sounds more realistic to me than anything, either way. They don't seem to degrade sound as much with price, just features and cabinetry. Pay special attention to the lower three octaves, I believe their sampling is just plain superior.

The key action is very good, although I think Roland is a little better. Kawai sounds similar to Yamaha for me. I really didn't pay attention to the models, so I don't know if I checked out your model or not.

The point is that I still prefer Technics sound, as I did before, and I recommend you take a look at it if you haven't. Whatever you do, I suggest you:

1. Just sit there and play with each model and go back and forth beteeen different models.
2. Take your time and look at everything you can.
3. Eliminate variables. Take your own set of headphones to the store.
4. Sales people will also leave you alone if you play with headphones. It's boring for them, and you kind of shut them out. Any luck and they'll nearly forget you are there. This is even more important if you are a little rusty or a beginner.
5. Only after you found the sound and feel you like, deal with things like features and all that jazz.

#702179 07/09/03 05:30 PM
After checking Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, and Technics models in the under $2500 bracket (this was about five years ago), I ended up buying a Technics SX-PC8, a basic model that I believe is no longer manufactured. It has 88 weighed keys, excellent sound, a MIDI out port, two pedals and that's it. It's a straight piano, and I'm very happy with it, except for one little thing, which is I've often wanted to play harpsichord pieces.

So just the other day I was checking out some newer models, and I found little change from a few years ago, at least in the low end.

I always try digital pianos with and without headphones (this is especially important for portables), and Technics definitely sounds more realistic to me than anything, either way. They don't seem to degrade sound as much with price, just features and cabinetry. Pay special attention to the lower three octaves, I believe their sampling is just plain superior.

The key action is very good, although I think Roland is a little better. Kawai sounds similar to Yamaha for me. I really didn't pay attention to the models, so I don't know if I checked out your model or not.

The point is that I still prefer Technics sound, as I did before, and I recommend you take a look at it if you haven't. Whatever you do, I suggest you:

1. Just sit there and play with each model and go back and forth beteeen different models.
2. Take your time and look at everything you can.
3. Eliminate variables. Take your own set of headphones to the store.
4. Sales people will also leave you alone if you play with headphones. It's boring for them, and you kind of shut them out. Any luck and they'll nearly forget you are there. This is even more important if you are a little rusty or a beginner.
5. Only after you found the sound and feel you like, deal with things like features and all that jazz.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission