2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Out of the box this looks like a quality instrument. The plastic parts, including the pedals, pedal support bar, and music rack, all have quality and blend with the design, but lack the beauty of the rest of the piano which is wood with metal accents.

The keyboard action is slightly heavier than my Kawai grand, even heavier for the black keys, and heavier still for the backs of the keys, making playing certain chords quite tricky. It’s not bouncy at all, slowing down fast repetitions and making them difficult to keep up for very long. For the most part the action is smooth and capable, but on mine there are a dozen or so keys that clack when abruptly hit with force. When not banging away, it’s easy to play very softly, even at speed. Unfortunately it’s also easy to play at maximum volume, when pounding harder doesn’t make it any louder.

The pedals, being an inch shorter and 2” to 3” closer, conspire to cramp the pianist’s legs. If it weren’t for their smooth throw and full range of half-pedal sustain levels, I wouldn’t like them. They actually work quite well; for example, the sustain pedal can be lifted gradually to fade the final chord, or held partway to create a wetter sound. I don’t use sostenuto, but it works, and the keyboard itself is expressive enough so that using the soft pedal, which lowers the volume without affecting the timbre, is unnecessary.

The actual piano sound is better heard than described (but I would call it fairly convincing and rather bell-like, but far from top-notch like Pianoteq 2.0 or the Yamaha CLP280):
http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/privia/px800/sound/

The built-in speakers are better than the ones on my computer, but they’re too small to produce realistic bass for the lower notes, which I miss greatly.

Precise control of the dynamics is continually hampered by sample-switching, which causes some notes that are only slightly louder to have the brightness of a much harder-hit note. Less noticeable is the sample-switching that occurs with adjacent keys, sometimes causing one note of a chord to not blend in. Claims notwithstanding, there are no harmonic resonance effects--no sympathetic vibration of upper partial tones, and no difference between hitting (and holding) a note with, or without, the pedal. (The included “Acoustic Resonance” feature is so hard to detect that it practically makes no difference.)

The piano takes 10 seconds to turn on, which is about 9 or 10 seconds longer than I’d like, and then after that I have to spend several more seconds to up the touch response and brightness. The control pad buzzes! It’s easy to hear when all else is silent, but thankfully is either inaudible or goes unnoticed while playing. A music book is included containing the scores for 60 classical pieces which are also in memory, performed accurately but not artistically (any CD would be superior). The songs can be played back one hand at a time so that you can play along with the other. There’s a five-song, two-track recorder, and memory for 10 user songs. Songs can be transferred to an SD card and back. There are standard MIDI ports and a USB (type B) port. In addition to the 12 main voices (3 pianos), there’s a full General MIDI set to play back files directly from or saved over from your computer.

All in all, I’d say that you get what you pay for. This is no doubt a fantastic Casio. Whether it’s as good as a lesser Yamaha, for instance, I can’t say, even after having tried some of them. The clacking keys, buzzing controls, and bizarrely heavy touch make me think, “toy”. But the expressive softs, quality voices, decent speakers, and good-looking, all-in-one cabinet make me think that this is a keeper.

Anyone in the Denver area want to pick it up for $800?

Hmmmm. Several of us have new PX-800's and I've not seen nor heard the clacking or buzzing you refer to. Is the audio/pedal connector plugged in all the way? I have two PX-800's here and they do not clack. How hard are you striking the keys?

Yes, no doubt the key action is firm and it does take 10 seconds to start up. I don't know why the brilliance and touch settings aren't retained on power off, either, but it is quick to reset them.

I don't know the relevance of comparing DP speakers to speakers on your computer. There's quite a variety out there. Can you compare to other DP Models you've tried?

Is 'fantasic Casio' a good thing in your mind? It could be interpreted as sarcastic, but then I read the part about the "expressive softs, quality voices, decent speakers, and good-looking, all-in-one cabinet make me think that this is a keeper...". That sounds great, and sounds like what you would look for in a nice DP, but then you ask if someone will buy it off you.

Its hard to tell how others will interpret your review. You've provided a lot of good, accurate info which is nice, but some of it seems conflicting since there aren't direct comparisons to other DP models.

FWIW

I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
I've tried a PX200 which has the same core and action of PX800 and all I can say is WOW! actionwise.

The action is incredibly good, heavy, firm and responsive, it's the best to study technique, it has the same weight of my Seiler upright.

Finally a DP maker got it right, DPs usually have a too light keyweight, not suitable to study piano seriously cause heavy action is required to achieve the relaxation technique, fundamental for all seriuos pianists.

I am going to purchase this wonderful piano to study when I can't with my upright, for this purpose it's better than more expensive pianos.

A
Aaj Offline
A
Just to piggy back on what OnTheWeb said, there is no clacking or buzzing in my PX800 . I'll admit that the lack of settings being maintained when the power is off is a tad annoying, but again like OnTheWeb said, nothing more than a few key strokes to fix.

Aj

C
C
Does anyone know how the sounds compare to previous casio models (e.g. px-310 or px-700)?

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for chiming in, I'd glad to hear that not everyone is having the same trouble.

That's a good idea, OnTheWeb, to compare this to other models, and happily I just had the opportunity to do so at my local Kawai dealer.

Off the cuff, here's what I noticed:

Yamaha P140 - I like this better for its somewhat lighter action (which still has enough heft to play expressively) and for its somewhat more piano-like sound. The action on the PX-800 kind of feels like a solid, smooth, pneumatic "squish", whereas this has a more mechanical, less unusual feel. What I don't like better is the styling (of the silver model)--the Casio looks great in comparison. Yamaha's other home pianos are a better comparison, style-wise, and my impression is that I'd probably prefer them to the Casio too.

Kawai ES4 - This is a very appealing keyboard. The keys feel kind of silky smooth and flattish, and the action is a bit lighter than the P140 even, but still very enjoyable to play on its own merits. I like the design very much. I think it sounds better than the P140. This is my favorite so far.

Kawai with AWA Pro action - They didn't have any MP8's or the new CE200 home model (with the Pro II action?), but I did get to try the action out on another model. This action feels closer to a real grand piano's than it does to all other digitals. I'd describe it as identical to my acoustic grand's action, except that it's very slightly less bouncy (for fast repetitions) and it lacks the complexity of motion that the keys go through (due, in part or wholly, to the absence of the 'escapement mechanism'? -I'm not sure). It's heavier than most other actions, but I really think that If I was blindfolded and wearing earplugs, and I didn't know which I was playing on, my piano or this, I'd have to do a few deliberate tests to figure it out, because it's not immediately obvious. The sound is the best so far (the same as the ES4?), but incomparably worse than Pianoteq 2.0, and my impression is that it's noticeably worse than the superlative Yamaha CLP280. I eventually want something with this action in it.

Regarding the AWA Pro II action, the rep said that they're phasing them in to replace the original and that it's not a major new design, rather a more subtle change. Also, they said that the MP8II will be identical to its predecessor except for its having the new action.

Yamaha CLP280 - I tried this one out about a month ago, and this is a digital that I could live with forever. I'd rather have the AWA Pro action with Pianoteq and a pair of great speakers (QSC HPR122i's? Thanks Hugh!), but everything about this is the best I've experienced; the best combination of touch, piano sound, and speakers.

Casio PX-800 - After having come home and gone back to good ol' Casio, I'm not enthusiatic about returning it for a refund and then spending twice the price for the Kawai CE200 (which also has speakers and an integrated stand, unlike the MP8). Even with my defective unit with its buzzing, clacking, and squeaking (didn't I mention the squeaking?), I can still enjoy the heck out of it and then find another place for it in the home even if I do get another. I liked the touch of the Privia 555 when I first tried it, and this seems better. Although I've basically said that I like every other higher-priced alternative better, I still like this one! It's worlds better than my 15-year-old 61-key unweighted MIDI controller. I haven't made any final decision yet, but I hope that some of these comments will help anyone who's reading to make a more informed choice.

P.S. I've never gotten my hands on the Roland 700sx, but I kind of wish I had, just to round out my experience and see if it's a different animal that I'd also want to consider.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice review, thanks.

What squeaks?

Do you know how the 800 compares to the PX700? I own the 700 and was just wondering how many of the specs are the same (too lazy to study the website, I guess).

FWIW, I actually like the feel of the Casio action. I have a Yamaha p70 (not as nice as the P140), and it is a nice DP, but the action is too light imo. Also the Casio gets better volume out of the speakers, and arguably a bit more complex tone. But the Yamaha has a very nice sweet tone and is easier to play softly.

My biggest gripe about the Casio is the pedal. Mine squeaks (drives me NUTS!). Plus I just don't think the Casio pedal works as well as the Yamaha, or has the "natural" feel of the Yamaha.

Granted, all these keyboards are compromises at these prices. I will likely pick up a CLP280 at some point in the near future, but these do well for now.

J
OP Offline
J
Pedal is fine (although I agree that it doesn't feel like a real piano pedal), it's actually some of the keys that have a slight squeak, but it's not too bothersome.

I haven't played the PX700, but I think I read something about there being a new touch sensor in the 800 that takes into account the pressure applied to the keybed instead of the sound being determined solely by the velocity of the strike. Possibly the piano sound and the speakers are improved? I may be wrong.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by J. Mark:
Do you know how the 800 compares to the PX700? I own the 700 and was just wondering how many of the specs are the same (too lazy to study the website, I guess).
New Advanced AIF stereo sampled
Tri-element sound source
• 128 note polyphony – Notes reverberate
naturally without being cut off during high-speed
passages and performances that require intensive
damper pedal operations.

New Advanced Filter
• Notes change and decay naturally with the realism
of an acoustic piano.

New touch-response sensitive system
• The sound source responds to how much pressure is
applied to the keyboard, providing you with the means
to shape and color your performances with everything
from booming fortissimos to delicate pianissimos.

Powerful class audio system
• 2 way powerful 40W speaker system
(20W + 20W)

New features
• SD card slot
• Expanded song memory

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Eternal. Some of that sounds like marketing hype, but no doubt some of it amounts to real improvements. If I could just get rid of the squeak in the pedal I'd be pretty pleased with the 700.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I got PX700 as well, and am not complaining either.

M
M
Originally posted by Halleys5th:

I haven't played the PX700, but I think I read something about there being a new touch sensor in the 800 that takes into account the pressure applied to the keybed instead of the sound being determined solely by the velocity of the strike. Possibly the piano sound and the speakers are improved? I may be wrong.
If that's true and the electronics are processing how far the key is depressed after the inital strike then that's really advanced.

No DP has this. That's what Dave from General Music said.

Do you know if the PX-200 has this sensor?

If that's true and the electronics are processing how far the key is depressed after the inital strike then that's really advanced.

Hmmm. Pressure sensitive keyboards have been around for a while. Yamaha's 'aftertouch' has been around for a long time, since the DX7-II series, at least. When playing a guitar type sound, if you pressed the key harder you could 'bend' the notes, which was very cool.

The PX-200 and PX-800 specs state the keybed is pressure sensitive.

I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
E
E
Is the pressure sensor ignored for piano sounds? After all a real piano has no aftertouch

M
M
Originally posted by OnTheWeb:

Hmmm. Pressure sensitive keyboards have been around for a while. Yamaha's 'aftertouch' has been around for a long time, since the DX7-II series, at least. When playing a guitar type sound, if you pressed the key harder you could 'bend' the notes, which was very cool.

The PX-200 and PX-800 specs state the keybed is pressure sensitive.
OK my bad. I'm confusing pressure sensors with something that DPs don't have but ought to have because this is a natural characteristic of real pianos.

M
M
Originally posted by Evan Roberts:
Is the pressure sensor ignored for piano sounds? After all a real piano has no aftertouch
I would hope so.

Aftertouch from pressure sensors is artificial to the piano.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Halleys5th, re the lack of complexity of the AWA Pro action, I think that the complexity of an acoustic action and the range of motion of its shanks is impossible to reproduce in a small space.

When I got a digital baby grand with the complete action for an acoustic upright - with little weights instead of felt hammers - I could A/B it with my trusty Yamaha P80. With the acoustic action, there was a feeling of setting a mass into motion. With the P80, it was more like pressing on the end of a lever.

PS, enjoyed your thorough reviews of the new Casio. Looks like a value leader which still has a way to go, to rival the big guns.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Completely as a novice on the DP's I bought a ES4 a few months ago so that I could use it for practice mainly. I'm delighted with it and use only the piano sound and the sterio head phones. The sustain pedal works fine.

I cannot fault this instrument and find the touch ideal for composing and improvisation. I take it for what it is and I am totally pleased with it. It saves my fingers and thumb muscles from arthritus for when I play my acoustic.

I wonder if the action is so easy and indeed the playing too, that an acoustic piano would be a great shock to anyone for the first time.

Swingal (Alan)

P
P
I have been trying to find a local dealer with the PX200 to try out, but nobody seems to have it in stock. If you have played either the Privia 200 or 800, can you please let me know how the new 'Advanced AIF stereo' samples are?
Do the sound characteristics change with touch/velcity?

Also, any clues on how it compares with Yamaha's 3-level Dynamic sampling (CP33/300, N100, P140, PF500/1000 & Clavinovas)?

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I just bought a Casio PX800 and all I can say is I think it is the best digital piano I have played or owned and I have owned way too many smile

It has a sweet bell-like sound in the mid-registers and a clean crisp sound at top. The bass is wonderful. The action is fantastic in my opinion. I think Casio hit a home run with this new sound source (called AIF which is also found in the PX200 and AP500).

Finally, a digital I actually enjoy playing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission