2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
Hi!

After first receiving one that was damaged during shipping, I got my PX-200 last night. I don't have extensive experience with pianos (I've only really played 2 different uprights), and never played with a digital.

I'd say the PX-200 pretty much delivers what you'd expect at the price, better than the competition at the same price level, but that I say only from online spec comparison.

The piano sounds sound very nice on the builtin speakers, even the bass notes. I was surprised considering how small the speakers are.

Through the headphones it sounds weird though, with a funny beating sound on mid-bass notes that are held and the initial attack sounding quite bright. The manual claims extra effects are applied to headphone output to make it sound "better", but apparently it sounds worse.

The action seems reasonably piano-like from my limited experience. The keys have a nice weight and you feel the right amount of inertia. OTOH I was surprised that keys have to be released completely before they'd sound again, even higher than on the upright I sometimes practice; I'd expected a digital piano to have a more grand like action allowing repeated notes without lifting the key all the way. Also the key seems to bounce up a little once they hit the keybed in a way the accoustics I've played don't. It doesn't seem to cause the note to be accidentally cut off though, so I guess that's OK.

All in all I'm satisfied; once I get going I can practice for hours and have fun. Even on the earphones, big bonus for my neighbors at night wink

I still enjoy the experience of playing an accoustic more, but due to several practical constraints, mainly money and space, there is no chance of me having my own accoustic in the near future and my PX-200 is a useful substitute.

E
E
I would post my experiences on the PX-800 that arrived here yesterday, but it doesn't seem to want to power on frown grr

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think the hydrolic design action of the PX-800 is not good, it's inertia and motion is nothing like a real piano. It's resistant all the way to the bottom of the stroke! and it's return is not fast enough. Piano 1 sound sounds artificial, in my opinion.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
H
H
Originally posted by pianobrick:
... I was surprised that keys have to be released completely before they'd sound again, even higher than on the upright I sometimes practice; I'd expected a digital piano to have a more grand like action allowing repeated notes without lifting the key all the way. ...
You have to realeased the keys completely before you get another sound? This is odd and should strike somebody else too! Can someone please verify this behaviour and compare it to other DPs?

Originally posted by pianobrick:
... Also the key seems to bounce up a little once they hit the keybed in a way the accoustics I've played don't. ...
In another PX-800 Thread Aaj said the opposit:
Originally posted by Aaj
Having played on a PX700, i can say that the action is indeed very different. Its alot smoother. The the 700's Ive tried the keys always seemed to be pushing back at me, this is not the case with the 800.
I really would like to buy a DP with a reasonable keyboard, but I´m now unsure about the quality confused

P
P
Originally posted by Harald:
I really would like to buy a DP with a reasonable keyboard, but I´m now unsure about the quality confused
Well to be honest, I'm quite happy with my PX-200 so far inspite of the caveats I mentioned. After 3 day's the action feels completely natural to me. Purchaser reviews mostly seem to be very positive on the Casio action, so it can't be all that bad. In fact, besides being heavier, it responds very similarly to my teacher's C. Bechstein upright.

Not having ever played a grand I can't say for sure weather the action is in practice slower than a grand or not. I'm just a beginner pianist, and the fact that I have a "piano" available 24/7 has already made a larger difference to my playing that any other external factor might have had.

Anyway, the only answer for you is to go out and play a couple of different makes. I didn't really have that luxury since merely finding a store that actually stocks digital pianos is a lot to ask in my area ;P

H
H
pianobrick:@ thx for your quick response. It is good to hear, that you are satisfied with the piano, it is still my favorite. We have got a few stores with DPs, but the new Casios didn´t arrived yet. As soon they are there I will go out and test them.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear, if others do experienced the same behaviour of keys bouncing back. That it is only possible to play another tone when the key is completely released shouldn´t be normal, maybe someone can verify this and compare this behaviour to other DPs?

R
R
quote:
-------------------------------
Originally posted by J. Mark:
Do you know how the 800 compares to the PX700? I own the 700 and was just wondering how many of the specs are the same (too lazy to study the website, I guess).
---------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested in the side by side comparison of the PX700 and PX800, I have posted a jpg with the specs here:
http://rregister.net/Documents/CasioPriviaPianoCompare700vs800.JPG
This info comes directly from the Casio web site (as of 8/08)
The red circles highlight the differences. In addition to what has already been mentioned:
USB port
Line-In/Line-Out
Song Memory is 2 tracks x 5 songs
Song Expansion: SD Memory card slot
SMF player (plays standard midi files)
20W + 20W speakers
72 Demo songs

I hope this is helpful smile

-rr
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission