2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Update: Yamaha tech says that DP's with sympathetic resonance will not get this mechanism right. But earlier DP's without sympathetic resonance will get it right. (Not that they shouldn't be able to get it right with sympathetic resonance. Or one would think.
Sympathetic Resonance is another term for String Resonance.

To test sympathetic resonance, press down a chord slowly enough not to produce any sound. While still holding it, play any other note staccato. The notes you're holding down will generate a faint sound if your DP has sympathetic resonance. If all you hear is the staccato note, then your DP doesn't have sympathetic resonance
You can listen to this: HERE.

So in the CLP-2xx series only the 270 and 280 have this feature and in the new CLP-3xx series only the 380.
The CP-300 has it too.

For the Roland HP-2xx: 203, 204 and 207 have String Resonance. So has the FP-7.

For Kawai CA series: CA-51, 71, 91 all have String Resonance.

I read here that the Kawai CA-51, Roland HP-203, Yamaha CLP-280 all failed the test, which follows the quote of the Yamaha technicians.

But in this case Eronaile's CLP-330 should have passed since it has no String resonance?

Beside this, it's very strange that all the high end digitals with String resonance fail this "reality test"!
I mean, just like Jscomposer suggests, i think it can't be that difficult to make the software let just cut the String Resonance samples/sounds so that the note you pressed again still sustains, but minus the String Resonance samples/sounds of the other notes (those you do not press anymore) because they are now dampened.

The extra Stereo Sustain Samples (a feature of the Yamaha CLP-340,370,380 and 240,270,280 when you press the Sustain pedal, also called Damper pedal) are nicely cut off when you release the right pedal again, so it must be possible to let the software cut off the extra String Resonance samples at the moment they are no longer needed.

( 'Stereo Sustain Samples' is a Yamaha term, Roland calls it 'Damper Samples' in it's HP-201 to 207 series. )

Any clever technicians there to explain what's the problem to get this right?

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by jscomposer:
Thanks for the replies, keep 'em comin'!

Yeah, I've never played a Roland or Kawai that got this right. But a number of Yamahas get it. A few Casios get it too. LOL It's kinda strange which Yamahas get it and which ones don't. Like the P80, P120, P140 get it, but the P250 didn't get it (at least the ones I've tried).

I'm a little surprised the GEM RP800 got it! I tried one of their Promegas and it failed this test. I also tried one of their cabinet pianos, it was either an RP700 or RP800, I wish I could remember which. But it didn't get this right. So that's interesting that yours does. I'll have to find a dealer and test them out again. I really like their sounds.

Anyone here have a GEM pRP700 or pRP800 they could try this on? Those are the models I'm most interested in, and I hear that they have a different action than their cabinet counterparts. So there may be hope!

Although, I wonder if it has anything to do with settings. Hey curious14, what are the settings on your RP800?
Just tested it on my RP700. It did not pass this test, though it does have sympathetic resonance, and a sostenuto.

When I get back to the shop on Monday, I'll check out the pRP 800 we have. I wonder if it makes a difference if one has the optional 3-pedals, vs the standard footswitch sustain pedal that they come standard with.

I have noticed the actions on the pRP 700 and 800's feel much better than the 'console' RP700. The action on the console RP800 though is good though.

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
E
E
Fascinating thread. I never noticed this flaw on my HP-207, but there's no excuse for Roland not getting it right. We'll see if they do in their next model line..

D
D
My CLP-380 passed the test.

J
J
Casio AP-45 does not have string resonance, using the test described, but does pass the sostenuto test. Sounds like the theory is a good one.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I went to the store and checked a few. The CLP 240 works, CLP380 works. Actually I tried 4 or 5 of the Clarinovas and they all worked. I just can't remember the model number for them.

F
F
My "old" CLP-115 passed the sostenuto test...

I went to the store and checked a few. The CLP 240 works, CLP380 works. Actually I tried 4 or 5 of the Clarinovas and they all worked. I just can't remember the model number for them.
The CLP-380 has String Resonance AND passed the 'sostenuto test' three times in this thread!

It looks like Yamaha found a way to get it right in the CLP-380 to.

So there's no reason why it schouldn't work with the CLP-320, 330, 340 and 370.

Eronaile can you do the test again, because your CLP-330 should have passed following the theory, since it has no String Resonance?

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
E
E
Well, I'm 100 % certain that it doesn't pass, if I had a cam I could record it wink

Just to be certain: I press the pedal, strike a key, let the key go, strike it again real slow so the note doesn't sound a second time, then depress the pedal while holding the key. Result, the sound stops when I let go of the pedal, while the key is still pressed.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Just tried it on my ancient Yamaha, the long discontinued P500.

Passed with no problem.

gotta go practice
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i actually tried the test on my PF500, which does have string resonance, but it's not always working unless i hit the key a little harder (with slight sound) when sustain pedal is still down. actually, the sostenuto pedal on mine works as on a grand anyway.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hey, all! I mainly play my S&S B, but I have a CLP230 as well, and it passes the sostenuto test. wink

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
So here's a stupid question:

If one were to get a Kawai CA51 that does not do this properly, but hook up the piano to Garritan or Ivory or Pianoteq, etc. would you then have it through the software or is it a signalling & reproduction issue?

R
R
Casio px 120 also fails.

theJourney,

at least the combination Roland HP-203 + Galaxy II Steinway does not work.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by theJourney:
So here's a stupid question:

If one were to get a Kawai CA51 that does not do this properly, but hook up the piano to Garritan or Ivory or Pianoteq, etc. would you then have it through the software or is it a signalling & reproduction issue?
If would be a function of the software.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My Casio PX 320 failed the test

that's decided it, its got to go smile

Lee

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by CTPianotech:
When I get back to the shop on Monday, I'll check out the pRP 800 we have. I wonder if it makes a difference if one has the optional 3-pedals, vs the standard footswitch sustain pedal that they come standard with.

I have noticed the actions on the pRP 700 and 800's feel much better than the 'console' RP700. The action on the console RP800 though is good though.
Just got off the phone with Rich from Shawn's Piano, and the pRP800 failed this test.

G
G
O.K., but after all of this, how practical is this in a real solo performance situation? Do we have the time to do the "second depression" thing in a real situation?

Derrkins
M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by GTBannah:
O.K., but after all of this, how practical is this in a real solo performance situation? Do we have the time to do the "second depression" thing in a real situation?
I use it in Rachmaninoff's Prelude in B minor, in Grieg's Concerto in A minor depending on what mood I'm in, and I use it in some of my own music. The main reason I developed it was because my DP doesn't support sostenuto. But you're right, so far I've only used it in slower passages.

Come to think of it though, this technique could be used (and perhaps with greater ease than sostenuto) in a situation where you play a fast run and then want to sustain only certain notes from that run in the next phrase.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission