Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
42 registered (ando, 36251, AxlGnR, 16 invisible), 1049 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#703568 - 07/01/01 12:12 AM registration
Jason Offline

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to achieve a dark registration. Thanks a lot, Jason

#703569 - 07/18/02 10:20 PM Re: registration
Tony Offline

Loc: Houston
Jason, an interesting question which I may be able to help you with if you can give additional information (I have grad degree in organ performance) What is the nature of the music you want to play on this dark registration? Could you provide a stop list for the organ you're playing? Just have a broken left hand so my one hand typing is a bit of a pain. Will be happy to try to help if you like.
Warmest regards.
Tony

#703570 - 07/18/02 11:12 PM Re: registration
Elaine617 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi Jason,

It would depend on the organ you're working with. When I need a darker tone, I don't use 4' and 2' stops which reduces the brightness of my organ and the organ I work with at church. As Tony says, we can probably help you more if you could post a stop list from the organ you're using. I'm sure we would all be glad to help you further. Tony, I'm sorry to hear about your hand. Hope it feels better soon.

Lyn

#703571 - 07/20/02 01:45 AM Re: registration
Tony Offline

Loc: Houston
THANKS, LYN. DOC SAYS I'LL BE BACK TO THE KEYBOARD IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS SINCE IT TURNED OUT TO BE A FRACTURE TO THE ELBOW.

JASON, SINCE POSTING AN ENTIRE STOP LIST CAN BE A DAUNTING TASK FOR A LARGE INSTRUMENT, MAYBE IF YOU JUST TELL US MORE ABOUT THE ORGAN, IT WOULD HELP. PIPE ORGAN OR ELECTRONIC, NAME OF THE BUILDER, SIZE, AND AGE OF THE INSTRUMENT, FOR EXAMPLE.

IN THE MOST BASIC WAYS, WE COULD GUESS THAT IF YOU START WITH ONE 8' STOP AND ADD UPPERWORK IN INCREASINGLY HIGHER PITCHES (4', 2', AND MIXTURES FOR MANUAL REGISTRATION
)-- (OR IN THE PEDAL BEGIN WITH A 16' STOP AND ADD 8', 4', AND MIXTURES) THE TONE GETS BRIGHTER.

THERE ARE ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS CONCERNING REED AND FLUE PIPEWORK.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LISTEN TO THE INDIVIDUAL 8' STOPS ON THE GREAT AND SWELL DIVISIONS. GENERALLY THE STRING STOPS WILL BE BRIGHTER AND THE FLUTES WILL BE A BIT DARKER. PRINCIPALS AND REEDS WILL VARY ENORMOUSLY DEPENDING ON THE PARTICULAR STOP. FOR EXAMPLE A TUBA IS USUALLY DARKER THAN A TRUMPET, A BASOON OR FAGOTT WILL USUALLY BE DARKER THAN THE OBOE. A PRINCIPAL IS USUALLY BRIGHTER THAN A DIAPASON, AND A SPILL FLUTE OR CHIMNEY FLUTE WILL USUALLY BE BRIGHTER THAN A GEDECKT OR BOURDON.

MOST OF ALL, LISTEN CAREFULLY TO THE INDIVIDUAL STOPS BOTH IN SINGLE LINE MELODIES AS WELL AS IN CHORDS. QUICKLY YOUR EAR WILL TELL YOU. IT WILL BE MOST HELPFUL TO KNOW THE SOUND OF THE INDIVIDUAL STOPS REALLY WELL BEFORE YOU CAN COMBINE THEM AS SUCESSFULLY YOU WILL WANT.

REGISTRATION IS A SINGULARLY INTERESTING AND CREATIVE PART OF LEARNING THE ORGAN.

HAVE FUN AND TRY AS MANY COMBINATIONS OF STOPS AS YOU CAN IMAGINE. NOW TRY ALL POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS OF TWO 8' STOPS, THEN REPEAT WITH ALL POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS OF ONE 8' AND ONE 4' STOP, 8' & 2', AND SO ON. NEXT EXPERIMENT WITH COMBINATIONS OF THREE STOPS, UNTIL YOU'VE EXHAUSTED THE POSSIBILITIES.

LOVE TO HEAR OF YOUR DISCOVERIES!

BEST REGARDS,
TONY

What's Hot!!
Merry Christmas!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
yamaha U1 deal (expiring in 1 hour)
by clintmiller
Today at 12:06 AM
Le Tic Toc Choc
by dfm
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Can an old tuner start over in a modern world??
by Bellyman
Yesterday at 08:54 PM
agenda
by dolce sfogato
Yesterday at 07:28 PM
Nobel winning physicist proves touch CAN alter piano tone
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 06:39 PM
Forum Stats
77420 Members
42 Forums
160129 Topics
2351398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission