Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#703692 - 08/15/04 04:14 PM learning
ericpianoboy Offline

Loc: Kalamazoo,MI
This is probably a REALLY stupid question... How hard is it to learn organ?

[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/umedia/20050103/cp.27f85aeb3592a6f9cc0f795ce5f48757[/img]

...a million pictures fill my head, i now surrender off to sleep

#703693 - 09/04/04 04:49 AM Re: learning
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
Well, it depends. I came to the organ a couple of years ago, and I had been playing the piano on and off for about 25 years at that point, so I'm a relative latecomer to the organ.

It's definitely a different touch and feel. Plus, there's having to get used to all those pedals. It took me a while to coordinate myself on the manuals and the pedals, but I'm managing now. Two years later, I'm learning a Bach fugue, stuff from Boellmann's "Suite Gothique" (the Toccata now at this point), the Finale from Mendelssohn's Sonata VI (Andante) and attempting to get the whole of Couperin's "Mass for the Convents" in the fingers. Not to mention having to prepare a new hymn every week, and I will admit - for me, hymnplaying has been my biggest challenge. I'm okay picking up on the literature, but for some reason, I am having a very difficult time with hymns. Hoping that will change soon, however.

Best of luck to you ...

#703694 - 09/16/04 06:24 PM Re: learning
DR LO Offline

Loc: Southwest Iowa
Organ is way different. And every organ is very different. When I play my organ at home I can go accross the keys as easy as on a piano, but for my recital which is at the catholic church the organ is about 150 years old. It is all mechanical, so you have to press very hard. I have to practive there for about a month and a half to build the muscel in my hands to play there. I bet the regular organists that play there have forearms the size of my neck, lol.

--DR LO

#703695 - 10/20/04 10:52 AM Re: learning
Requiem Aeternam Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Actually I was also going to post the same thing because I just discovered this organ forum. I play piano and eventually would like to play the organ too and I am really curious as to how long it would take for a decent pianist to learn to play things like the Bach g minor prelude and fugue and his c minor passacaglia and fugue on the organ? I mean I know the organ touch is different but it doesnt seem difficult to me at all, you just have to re-adapt to playing with a different type of legato style and the only challenge that I see are the foot pedals, am I wrong on this?

Also, how do most people learn to play the organ, is it not possible to buy some sort of electronic organ foot pedals, that hook up to a digital piano perhaps? Basically I want to know how can one practice with foot pedals at home and not have to go to a church or university to do so? Does one have to purchase a small organ for the house and how much do those cost? Thanks!

#703696 - 10/29/04 06:26 PM Re: learning
Xavier Offline

I began to learn organ at the beginning of this last year, and last Saturday I performed a song in front of thousands of people. I had known piano for ten years and became interested in organs last January. If you know piano, you almost certainly can learn organ.

At first, the pedals are really hard to learn, but if you practice correct technique consistently, it becomes easier.

Eventually, the pedals became less of a challenge for me, and the legato became a bigger problem as the songs I played got more complicated, but everyone goes at a different pace with those two. I haven't heard about hooking in foot pedals, but I practice at a church a walk away from my house, so I never had that problem.
An experienced organist/teacher and/or technique book can be helpful. I actually only had one lesson from an organist and have been learning by myself from books since then, but I think I would have progressed faster with some sort of tutor. Hope that helps! \:\)

#703697 - 10/31/04 08:59 AM Re: learning
Neus A. Offline

Loc: Spain
Xavier,

Are you a catalan?

Neus

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Vice grip needle nose threaded bolt dimensions
by Olek
10/01/14 05:10 PM
Paul Newman Baby Grand Bass Strings replacement
by Sam4
10/01/14 04:11 PM
Mystery Steinway Grand
by Kirk Corlett
10/01/14 03:58 PM
Magnesium Protects Against Hearing Loss
by DavidWB
10/01/14 03:34 PM
How Odd
by Minnesota Marty
10/01/14 01:41 PM
Who's Online
160 registered (alfredo capurso, accordeur, alexbergauer, anamnesis, 39 invisible), 1667 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157928 Topics
2319333 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission