Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#704777 - 09/24/01 04:51 PM What is Terrorism?
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
How do we determine what action is considered terroristic. I think most of us agree that the people that crashed the planes into the WTC and the Pentagon were terrorist. Are the people that drove them to the airport terrorist? The people that knowingly harbored and trained them? The people that hamper or block the investigation? Are these people terrorist?

At what point down the chain though is an action not terroristic, but the freedom of expression?

If these men had commandeered these planes and crashed them with no one aboard, in the night with no loss of life but with the same property damage, would they still be terrorist?

If instead of crashing the planes, they used them to drop some vile chemicals on NYC that did no property damage, but disrupted the business of the city for an extended period, would they be terrorist?

If we are going to stamp out terrorism we have to identify exactly what it is, and pass stringent laws against it. We should draft new penalties for people convicted of terrorism.

I think that any act of terrorism that takes a life should automatically without exception get the death penalty. All other acts of terrorism should receive treble the normal penalty for a criminal act.

What is considered terrorism?

IMO a terroristic act is when someone for philosophical reasons engages in, participates in, supports, or has intimate knowledge of, any act that damages, disrupts or harms, any individual, business, legal process or enterprise.

For example, If a man goes to an abortion clinic and shoots a doctor because his 17-year-old daughter had an abortion there without his permission, he is a criminal.
If a man goes to an abortion clinic and shoots a doctor because he doesn't believe in abortions, he is a terrorist.

This is my opinion; I would be interested in hearing others.

#704778 - 09/25/01 12:09 PM Re: What is Terrorism?
Samejame Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NL, Canada
 Quote:
It's not the bullet with my name on it that worries me. It's the one that says "To whom it may concern."
Anonymous Belfast resident

Terorism, by definition, is coersion (sp?), usually at the threat of or during the commision of a violent act, to promote some idyillc (usually political) cause. In the past, such acts had some "rules", such as the perpertrator usually had a name attached, for which the committing party were only too happy to give. What makes this episode so sickeningly different is that no one has anted up to staging this little foray. Which leaves America in the unenviable position of searching for or even creating an ememy to respond to, rather than retaliating to a claimant.

Where you draw the line between terrorism and freedom of expression, as you put it, is whether both parties are involved in adiscussion or action, and respect each other's views.

These people didn't knock on the White House door and say listen George, at 9:00 am tomorrow morning I'm going to throw a couple of jumbo jets at some of your culture's most treasured icons. Any problems with that?

That didn't happen, there was no input, no response, no consultation...not even a warning. No this was not even terrorism, for terrorists associate themselves with a cause, and broadcast it during the commitment of their acts as part of their demands.

What we have in this case is barbaristic cowardice, in possibly the cruelest form humanity has yet seen. And it is done so with purpose, I think...with the purpose of counting on America's abundant pride and reactionary outrage to stage a war against assumed parties, while the real purportrators may sit back and watch, possibly laughing all the way to the bank. America's real trouble right now is just how do you fight this sickness?

Terry Waite, the British cleric who spent a number of years in captivity in Lebanon, once stated that "The terrible thing about terrorism is that ultimately it destroys those who practise it. Slowly but surely, as they try to extinguish life in others, the light within them dies."

The problem for America is, how long can it afford to wait, how many more hits can it take, while waiting for those consumed with hatred to consume themselves?

Jamie

#704779 - 09/28/01 12:35 AM Re: What is Terrorism?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
In my book, Terrorists are the Master Minds, the people who pulled it off, and the people who protect the people the Master Minds and the people who pull it off. Anyone else won't really be a terrorist because these people would be the only ones to really know about it.

#704780 - 10/01/01 02:14 PM Re: What is Terrorism?
Samejame Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NL, Canada
[URL=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/GIS.Servlets.HTMLTemplate?tf=tgam/columnists/FullColumn.html&cf=tgam/columnists/FullColumn.cfg&configFileLoc=tgam/config&date=&dateOffse t=&hub=rexMurphy&title=Rex_Murphy&cache_key=rexMurphy¤t_row=2&start_row=2&num_rows=1]Terrorism[/URL]

Says it better than I ever could.

Jamie

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (ajames, aesop, Alex-SapRenovation, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1731 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75583 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
07/30/14 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
07/30/14 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission