2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#705256 09/14/01 08:55 PM
Larry Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
As some of you may know, in addition to a piano store I also operate a freight company handling cargo nationwide. One of our contracts is with the military.

Now, I have been just as angry as everyone else over what happened in New York. I have wanted to do more to help, and my anger was mixed with the frustration of knowing there was probably little I could do.

All that changed today with a single phone call. And I do not even know where to start to communicate to you the feeling it left me with. The dispatcher called and said "We got a call from ________ just now asking if we could send 4 refrigerated tractor trailers to New York right away that could stay there for several weeks. They said the drivers would need to make several trips each, and loading and unloading would require the driver to sit for a few days at each end. The drivers will be gone for a long time, and our trucks will be too." My first response was "why do they need to use regrigerated trucks like that?" She said "Think....."

Tonight as I write this, I have four 53' refrigerated tractor trailers headed to New York. To transport bodies.

#705257 09/14/01 09:29 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You touched our souls, Larry.

God bless you and your company.

#705258 09/15/01 08:57 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That is, indeed, a chilling thought. Scary too, really, but hopefully comforting to know that your contribution will help in the search and recovery efforts.

God bless you and your company.

Regards,
Lyn F.
#705259 09/15/01 10:24 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
dear god... chilling thought...=[ i really hope they find a lot of people alive... and that there'll be not much need for those trucks... esp. 4 of them...=[

#705260 09/15/01 12:03 PM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Good God Larry, what a horrible picture this paints in my mind.
Bless you and your company for not hesitating to take part.

My wife works for a construction company here in Connecticut. They received a fax asking if they would be willing to particpate in the cleanup and rebuilding and what equipment/personnell they might be able to provide.
The owner faxed back a list of every piece of equipment he owns (they usually build bridges) and of every person that works in his company.
America must stick together through this, and we will!

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

#705261 09/15/01 03:57 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A chill ran up my spine as I read this. But of course, it stands to reason that this must be. Last night, I finally got in touch with one of my closest friends, someone I have known for twenty-five years. I was greatly relieved to find out that she and the rest of my friends were safe. She hadn't gone to work that day, had gone to vote instead when she saw the smoke. She lives at the other end of Manhattan, fourteen miles straight north in our old neighborhood, where we had lived for five years. She has since been within twenty blocks of "ground zero" and talked with everyone about the area and the likely casualty count. They explained that as many as 20 buildings may have to be raised. The WTC buildings melted and therefore the probable result is that the survivors walked away or became instant casualties. Those that jumped from the buildings became red dots on the surrounding buildings leaving so little recognizable trace that identification is said to be going on by DNA testing where it can be done. The word carnage has been used. Those that haven't been there have no idea. There is a smell of death from midtown Manhattan on down and many in Brooklyn know this smell now as much of it rolled that way. The mood in the city is quiet, unspeakably sad but firmly resolved. God bless New York! God bless America!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission