Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#711025 - 09/13/02 12:42 PM Triskaidekaphobia
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
To any of you who suffer from triskaidekaphobia, let me just say that I am here to help you if you need me, all the way to midnight tonight, when it will all be over........ ;\)

(now, let's see who can figure it out)

Piano & Music Accessories
#711026 - 09/13/02 12:54 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
That's actually a word in my limited vocabulary that I know the meaning of!

Fortunately, I do not have that problem.

Derick

#711027 - 09/13/02 12:55 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX

#711028 - 09/13/02 01:15 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
I am available to console anyone who suffers from trickydickaphobia (fear of Richard Nixon). :p

#711029 - 09/13/02 04:44 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
Fear of friday the 13th.

lb

#711030 - 09/14/02 12:48 AM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
It's an unnatural fear of the number 13.

But now the real[/b] thing you should fear......

SATURDAY THE 14TH!!!

\:D

#711031 - 09/14/02 01:01 AM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Its still the 13th where I live, for another 2 hours and 5 minutes!!! Not a damn bad thing has happened to my today thus far. Actually, it has been a very good day for me. Now, on the bus yesterday, a black cat ran out in front of us. We did not hit the cat, but the person sitting next to me on the bus said that a black cat crossing our paths would be bad luck, especially during the time right around Friday the 13th, with the exception of the Irish. She said that if you're irish, it will bring good luck to you. Well, there you have it! I am 25% irish! So, if anything, this F13 (friday the 13th) brought on good luck for me!!! Even though it was more or less a pretty normal day.
Maybe, I had 25% extra good luck (for being 25% irish) and then when luck for F13 was subtracted, it evened it out. \:D

#711032 - 09/14/02 06:08 AM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Svetlin Spasov Offline

Loc: Bulgaria
Friday the 13th.I don't know why people believe that this number and day will bring them bad luck. :rolleyes:

Now let's see.I want you to imagine these two things:

1) Imagine a man who believe in this nonsense.When Friday the 13th he'll look for any bad things that can happen to him.And even won't realize that,bad things happen to him almost every day.What's the diffrence?He looks and pays attention to those bad things on Friday the 13th and don't do the same when any other day and date. :rolleyes:

2) Now imagine a man who don't believe that Friday the 13th will bring him bad luck.Imagine even that this man believes that Friday the 13th will bring him good luck.Let's now see...When Friday the 13th,he'll look not for bad things that might happen to him,but for good ones.And again - he'll look and pay attention to the good things that happen to him and this will improve his belief in that Friday the 13th is exactly a lucky day!!! ;\)

That's it!I always thought that this date and day are lucky and so I don't care what could happen to me then.13 has always been my favourite number. \:\)

#711033 - 09/14/02 08:47 AM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry:
It's an unnatural fear of the number 13.

But now the real[/b] thing you should fear......

SATURDAY THE 14TH!!!

\:D [/b]
For many Chinese, it is the fear of the number 14. In many Chinese dialects, 14 sounds like the equivalent of "certain death"!

#711034 - 09/14/02 11:29 AM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by JBryan:
I am available to console anyone who suffers from trickydickaphobia (fear of Richard Nixon). :p [/b]
:D \:D \:D
(although I think this dates us!)

#711035 - 09/14/02 12:30 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Roxane, I heard that in some hospitals in China and Taiwan, they don't have a 4th floor because the number four (sze I think) sounds similar to death (she?). True?

#711036 - 09/14/02 01:11 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Brendan,

I have been in quite a few buildings in China including a number of hospitals and there are some of the older ones that do not have a fourth floor (si actually sounds sort of like an English butler saying sir) . The newer ones do.

#711037 - 09/14/02 04:33 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Brendan, I cannot comment on Taiwan (never visited nor wish to do so) but I was in a building in either Beijing or Xian that did not have the 4th storey.

In Singapore, I have yet to come across a building with a missing floor. However, I do know that some people consider houses with the number 4 or 14 in their address bad luck. On the other hand, the number 8 is regarded as lucky, since it sounds like "prosperity" in both Mandarin and Cantonese (but not some of the other Chinese dialects). It is a fact here in Singapore that houses with the number 8 are priced higher than other identical units in some housing developments! The same goes for 3, which sounds like "life" in Cantonese (but not in Mandarin).

In Cantonese, 4 sounds like "say". There is no equivalent English sound for 4 in Mandarin, but "sze" would be close. Both "death" and 4 have the same pronounciation in Mandarin, but the tone is different.

JBryan, one of the meanings of the sound "sir" in Mandarin is s**, with a bad connotation! \:D

#711038 - 09/14/02 05:18 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
JBryan, one of the meanings of the sound "sir" in Mandarin is s**, with a bad conotation![/b]
Roxane,
I knew this, actually \:\) . There are actually some jokes in Mandarin that make a play on the similarity between the two. I am quite certain of the Mandarin pronunciation four the number four and it sounds just about like I said. Something like sir without the r sound. "Size" does not even come close to the way I've heard it pronounced in China. My wife confirms that as well (born and raised in Shanghai).

When I was doing the RF Engineering for a paging company in China I encountered many instances of the superstition with regard to the number 4 and the number 8. The paging company I worked for would order blocks of 1,000 phone numbers for their customers and would have to order another one as soon as all phone numbers with an 8 were taken. There were some people that would just not accept any number unless there was at least one 8 in it and, of course, the multiple 8 combinations were highly prized. You could not pay some people to take numbers with a 4 in them.

In my job, I surveyed a lot of building roof tops for radio transmitters (well over 100) and was in a lot of Chinese buildings, old, new, and even under construction. A common thing to find in the stairwell of a building under construction was the Chinese character for the word s*** scrawled on the wall at the fourth floor landing (no doubt left by some construction worker). I spent a lot of time in stairwells as well because many of the buildings in China do not have working elevators. Especially the ones under construction. The first thing I usually asked whenever we arrived at a building for a survey was "you meiyou dian ti". All too often the response was "meiyou". One of my greatest treasures from China are the hundreds of photographs that I took from the rooftops of buildings all over the country as well as all of the other photographs I took.

#711039 - 09/14/02 05:40 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I am quite certain of the Mandarin pronunciation four the number four and it sounds just about like I said. Something like sir without the r sound. "Size" does not even come close to the way I've heard it pronounced in China. My wife confirms that as well (born and raised in Shanghai).[/b]
Aha... this explains it. The pronounciation of 4 with the rolling of the "r" at the end is typical of northern China, especially Beijing. It is akin to American English vs British English, with the rolling of the "r" in the former. The dictionary pronounciation of 4 is only "si", without the "r" at the end. You might say that the dictionary pronounciation is the Received Pronounciation that BBC broadcasters used until a decade ago. My mother is a Mandarin radio/TV news broadcaster, so I grew up with the "Received Pronounciation" of Mandarin!

Quote:
The first thing I usually asked whenever we arrived at a building for a survey was "you meiyou dian ti". All too often the response was "meiyou".[/b]
The most dreaded phrase in high-rise Singapore is "dian ti huai le"! \:D

#711040 - 09/14/02 07:23 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I could always spot someone from Beijing by their pronunciation. There was that pervasive rolling "r" twang to which you refered on the end of many words that seemed to be absent in all other parts of China. Of course in the South Catonese was heard most often although all the PLA people could all speak Mandarin. Then there were these regional dialects that would change in a very short distance. I have had interpreters who were hired to speak the local dialect who, when we moved 50 miles down the road, would look at me and say "I have no idea what he is saying". Great fun. \:D

#711041 - 09/14/02 10:07 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
toddler Offline

Loc: Vermont
13's a good number, but I'm partial to 18. Given my profession and my favorite number, pretty easy to guess my religion, no? Any takers.

Todd

#711042 - 09/14/02 11:57 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
So, Todd - is your other favorite number "FORE!" ?

\:\) Jodi

#711043 - 09/15/02 12:14 AM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by toddler:
13's a good number, but I'm partial to 18. Given my profession and my favorite number, pretty easy to guess my religion, no? Any takers.[/b]
Zoroastrian? :rolleyes:

#711044 - 09/15/02 08:50 AM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I don't know if it is a religion exactly but it is holey.

#711045 - 09/15/02 11:08 AM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by toddler:
13's a good number, but I'm partial to 18. Given my profession and my favorite number, pretty easy to guess my religion, no? Any takers.

Todd[/b]
Chai??

Happy New Year!

Nina

#711046 - 09/15/02 04:31 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
 Quote:
I don't know if it is a religion exactly but it is holey.[/b]
Good one! \:D Jodi

#711047 - 09/15/02 06:53 PM Re: Triskaidekaphobia
CW190 Offline

Toddler,

You have a good fast tomorrow, as I will. Happy New Year to you.

From an MOT in Texas. \:\)

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (ando, 36251, Anne'sson, Almaviva, 42 invisible), 1588 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153575 Topics
2250781 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
04/19/14 08:46 AM
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
04/19/14 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
04/19/14 07:44 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission