2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
brenbw Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all. I'm sort of computer illiterate, so I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with this...
When I first log on to my computer, I always get an "Error" window stating that it had a problem loading a program or something, then a separate window comes up stating that "Program is already installed!" How can I get rid of this error message (and the "program already installed" message)from coming up every time I log on the computer? It's not really a problem...it's just annoying. If anyone can give me help, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
You could uninstall in the Registry if you're careful about it. Go from Start to the Run dialog box, type in "regedit"(without the quotes), click OK. It might be wise to create a backup of the Registry first(but if you don't you can restore anyway through another procedure if you botch things up in there). Then go from Hkey local machine to Software to Microsoft to Windows to Current Version to Uninstall, look for the program name, right click it, then delete, then restart.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
If you don't know what the registry is, don't go in there. One mistake and you can cause some huge problems.

Go to Start menu -> Run -> and type "msconfig"

When Msconfig comes up, go to the startup tab. See if the program that gives you the error is listed in that window. If it is: uncheck it.

If it isn't - then try the registry. Just be careful.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
When this happened to me, it was some sort of Spyware causing the problem. I ran Spybot and AdAware and the problem went away.

Both programs are free (trial) downloads on the 'net. Might be worth a shot.

Defender of the Landfill Piano
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
If you haven't tried the Registry remedy(which admittedly is a pretty risky venture until you're familiar enough with it), you could reboot in Safe mode, see if you can find the program in the Start up programs and delete. Also in Safe mode, go into the Control Panel's Add/remove program and delete it there. Lastly, type the name of the program in the "Find files and folders", click OK, right click and delete any references to it.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Steve's right. Go get some free Spyware killer. WinPatrol is another one that is free that will run constantly in the background and tell you when anything tries to load. For an extra 20 dollars it has some nice features that tell you all about the program in question. In any case, monkeying around with the registry should be a last resort. Especially if you are not familiar with it.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yeah, as a non-techie I certainly wouldn't recommend tampering with your registry.

If you do, BACK IT UP FIRST. Tampering with the registry is a good way to end up with a computer that won't boot.

I too would recommend Lavasoft's Adaware software. It's free, and does a pretty comprehensive job of finding spyware.

Other than that, we might need some more specific messages as to the error messages you're getting, and the programs they refer to.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
When this happened to me, it was some sort of Spyware causing the problem. I ran Spybot and AdAware and the problem went away.

Both programs are free (trial) downloads on the 'net. Might be worth a shot.
Steve's right. Run both programs. After done loading run their respective updates to get the latest reference files. I'd then boot-up in "safe mode" and run the programs from there. There are some forms of scumware that even when these scrubbers pick 'em up they come back -- they can recreate at next boot or logon. For what it's worth I'd also run "HiJack This" or "Toolbar Cop". There are some registry scrubs, but I'd not advise that rout unless, as already suggested you know what you're doing. And, finally, I'd dith IE as a browser and get mozilla or Maxtor.

Good luck!

N.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission