2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
.rvaga* Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Have any of you in your respective States heard of CIM (Certificate of Initial Mastery) or CAM (Certificate of Advanced Mastery)? It may be called something different in your State, but something analogous to the CIM is becoming a requirement for graduation in a majority of the States.

This is a very hot topic here in Oregon, as people slowly become aware of how this affects curriculum and instruction, as well as the cost to implement. Interesting how top-tier administrators suggest the cost is inconsequential, and of course there is the obligatory, "The State mandates this, we have no choice" defensive posture.
However awhile back, I read a biased article that stated the cost for total implementation of "Outcome Based Education" in Oregon would be approximately 10 billion in addition to current K-12 expenditures, over the course of the 10+ years it would take to fully implement the program.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Michigan adopted an alternative to a high-school diploma. If you don't meet the requirements to graduate (which includes mandatory classes and a competency test) you get what amounts to a certificate of attendance and you are done with school.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Gryphon,

No offense, but that is a cop out for both the state and the kid that cops out. It's nothing more than an excuse for failure of both the child and the system (if the child is "normal").

IF, that is an "out" or face saving measure for those who could never succeed within the system, like "people who are mentally challenged" or "mentally handicapped", that's a whole different ballgame. They should be able to receive whatever designation the "system" can give them to reward their effort, whatever that might be. I can tell you from first hand experience that it DOES make a tremendous difference in these people's lives.

So? Different strokes for different folks? Isn't that what this whole education debate is about?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jolly:

When you figure out how to make private companies pay for public projects, such as building schools, let me know.

I want to sell tickets.
They're doing it here and it even works, kind of.

Part of the building permit for any new residential construction in this county is a "school fee". It's pretty hefty, too - about $2.50 per square foot. That adds $1250 to the cost of a 500 square foot room addition and about $5000 to the cost of a new 2000 square foot house. This is in addition to the property taxes that these houses generate, calculated in California at 1% (more or less) of the last sale price of the property.

Builders scream blue murder about this fee, but they pay it, and then pass it on to the buyer. Homes are selling at a brisk pace around here, so the fee must not be as onerous as they say it is.

Remodels are another matter. The school fee is only one of a number of fees one must pay to get a building permit, and the 500 square foot family room addition may now require as much as $10K in fees. This has generated a boom in bootleg room additions, which probably wasn't what they had in mind.

Local cities arm twist developers for set-aside land earmarked for schools when a tract map is approved. While this has eliminated the small tract builder from the marketplace (bad), it has resulted in some very nice plots of land with schools on them (good). Unfortunately, the exchange for the land generally includes an increase in allowable density which results in overcrowded schools from the day they open.

My town does the same thing with park land. Unlike some towns where the developers are allowed to set aside a certain amount of "open space" (generally vertical - unbuildable) to meet density requirements, this town requires parks delivered fully formed. Density is still mighty high, but at least the parks are functional.

As an aside, fully 5% of the population of Yorba Linda plays soccer; man, woman and child (mostly child). They are able to do so in part due to the number of parks that the city has arm-twisted from developers. Developers pass the cost through to buyers, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

The slickest deal of all was the tract builder who was required to build a school as part of his permit requirements. The district kicked in some $, the developer supplied the land and the tract builder built the school at the same time as the tracts were being built. VERY effective - school was done in record time, on time, and cost about half what a school like it would normally be. The only downside is that the school looks an awful lot like a cluster of tract houses. They build what they know.....

laugh

Defender of the Landfill Piano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rvaga:

[b]Steve Miller
stated, "The special finishes and fixtures they use in these monuments are a huge waste of money and virtually guarantee obsolescence in 30 years' time. Something as dynamic as a school building is no place to mess around with things like custom concrete block interior walls."

Interesting. We just had an auditorium (separate building) completed last year at a high school, and the interior is exactly what Steve finds questionable: custom concrete block interior walls! Steve, what's wrong with this type of construction?

[/b]
There is simply no more expensive way to build an interior partition than a custom block wall. Not just the initial cost either; the life cycle cost on one of these bad-boys can be several times the initial cost.

First, the "custom" block. As if they could find no stock block that would work, the architects go out and find (or design) a one-off special, manufactured by only one company, who is then free to charge whatever they want for it. It's in the specs.....

You can't move them, you can't modify them and if you put utilities in them you can neither add to them nor maintain them. I can build ten stud/drywall walls for the cost of a block wall, and because the stud wall is hollow, I can add/remove utilities over and over at low cost.

If a drywall partition wall settles and cracks, I can fix it in an afternoon. If a block wall settles and cracks, it will stay that way until you tear it down.

About the only people who really like block walls are architects (they are nice looking - at least at first) and unions (very labor-intensive). Other than that, they have little to recommend them.

The best way to build a school is to mimic whatever the local spec-builders are using to build office parks. These guys are interested in initial cost, flexibility and life cycle cost - just the criteria they should be using to design schools buildings. In our area, this would be a one story tilt-up with a clear span roof, T-bar ceilings and drywall interior partitions. Developers build these by the hundreds, they should last 300 years+, they ride out earthquakes with aplomb, and yet schools are still built like they were 100 years ago.

Don't get me started on City Halls....

If you are interested in this sort of thing, I recommend a book called "How Buildings Learn". The author does a good job of pointing out the folly of using very permanant building methods for buildings that will need to change over time.

Defender of the Landfill Piano
Originally posted by bcarey:
No offense, but that is a cop out for both the state and the kid that cops out.
You won't get an argument from me, I agree 100%. You should have heard my friend rant about his daughter's graduation. She's sitting in the front row, honors student, does calc, Greek, Latin...meanwhile as they're calling the names these guys are laughing and 'shucking and jiving' across the stage to get their 'paper,' playing to the audience. My friend was really ****ed, says it cheapened his daughter's graduation experience.

Anyway, Michigan students' abilities were on the decline, so MI instituted a comprehensive test to ensure that students actually knew something when they graduated. Now it doesn't matter if a student is given straight A's and is still illiterate, they won't get a diploma. Now they had a problem, what to do with the students who never came to school but their parents would sue the school system for actually not graduating their precious little gangsters. Attendence certificate, you're done, get the heck out of here.

Wheels
By the way, if you think similar things don't happen at the university level, you would be mistaken. I know a couple of professors personally, and can tell you a few stories about administration pressure, grade changing... It's a Big Ten University, too.

Wheels
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Rate Member posted April 26, 2003 03:52 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
50% of teachers do not sign their fourth contract. Most leave the profession by choice. It has been this way since I can remember(40 years). There is a very high attrition rate among teachers. I do not know why they leave, but if it is such a great job with good pay and lots of time off, then more of them would remain.
I do believe that in the past thirty years the quality of our teaching force has diminished. Thirty years ago and before, we had a relatively large pool of exceptional scholars from which to choose. Those being women and minorities. Most of them for the most part were denied employment in industrial and other management positions. Most women who graduated from college became teachers or nurses. Most minority men went into education.
Nowadays both minorities and women can pursue the career they desire and become employed. If we want the quality of teachers we once had we will have to attract the better students with salaries comparable to industry, law, medicine, etc.
Also Universities will have to stop shoveling all the students who cannot make it in other fields into education. Now it is a dumping ground for problem students. Why do universities admit students with poor academic skills? Again it is all about money. Keep them there and get the cash.
Last, teachers simply burn out. They cannot keep the pace that is expected of them. 180 days of 12 hour days, not counting the weekends and nights that you have Ballgame duty, the class play, or other extra curricular duties, wears on one after 20 years or so. Frequently one must attend college in summers to hopefully upgrade skills.
Kids also bring a lot of baggage to school. Many do not get enough sleep. Some work as much as an 8 hour a day and attempt to go to school. Frequently they skip breakfast and of course, many use alcoholo and drugs. A few are disruptive, but all it takes is one to completely ruin a class.
Frequently parents must both hold jobs and are not home to see that thier kids do their homework.
I find piano tuning much less stressful. I simply have run out of the energy to attempt to work magic on these students under the conditions in which I find them.
With all its problems the public shool must be doing something right. Many go to college and graduate. Most are productive citizens. Look at our all voluntary Military. None better in the world. Probably our sports program has much to do with the teaching of patriotism and hard work to achieve a goal. I believe Winston Churchill once said, World War II was won on the playing fields of Eaton.
I still feel a certain sadness. There were many nice students and teachers I miss. I miss the excitement at the beginning of the year, and the sigh of relief at the end of the year when I had the entire summer before me. My wife, son and I traveled all over the world together during summers. I miss the excitement of the sports contest, and the the festivity and excitement of marching bands, and cheerleaders.
I really was pretty good at it, but like I said earlier, I just ran out of steam.
I never get tired of tuning pianos and I really enjoy it. No one gives me a hard time but my son when he is home from college.
I think I heard on TV that before the first Gulf war, Iraqu had excellent sschool for boys and girls. Is this correct?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 411 | From: Roswell, NM | Registered: Jun 2001 | IP: Logged

pianoseed
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't have time right now, but tonight I'm going to supplement some of Steve's excellent comments, relate some of Ohio's efforts along his initial suggestions, and hopefully clear up the mostly incorrect (but based on observation of most school buildings, understandable) perception that architects like concrete block walls in schools! wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For several years now, Ohio has set aside the requirement for building schools under so-called Prevailing Wage (i.e., union scale) rates. Overall, this has been a positive development: more school construction was achieved with less money, and the work is generally of the same level of quality as it would have been had union contractors, or merit shops paying "prevailing wage" done all of the work. The whole concept of non-market based, artificially high wage rates being required by the government really grates on me and I could go on and on about how stupid and counterproductive it is, but that's another argument for another day. (Plus, I've recently been in an ongoing mood where I just don't care to argue with anyone about anything, so don't harp on this point expecting me to respond.)

Anyway, due to the "emergency" nature of the state of schools, the state set up the "Ohio School Facilities Commission" (headquarters offices designed by yours truly, thank you) to oversee all school construction projects - separate from the State Architect's Office, which oversees most other state-related building projects.

While OSFC doesn't say that a local school district can't pay prevailing wage (as a school district in a heavily union-populated area may want), it does have the authority to not permit use of state money to pay for the difference between a responsive and responsible merit shop bid, and one based on union scale.

Of course, the trade unions are seething over this scenario, and have been trying to get the prevailing wage exemption repealed any way they can.

The OSFC actually handed them a great bit of ammunition in their efforts (and I'm not convinced it was entirely accidental). Under its operating charter, the commission has to vote on every single contract, regardless of how large or small. Somewhere along the way, the commission (all heads of other state departments) voted to allow the commission's executive director - a former State Architect - to approve or reject contracts below a certain threshold size, without a full commission vote. One of the contracts that the executive director took action on without an actual vote of the commission, was the exact scenario I described above. A school project in a union-oriented part of the state received a bid from a local union contractor, and a merit shop contractor. Both bids were apparently within the budget. The local district wanted to use the higher union contractor. The OSFC director refused to authorize state funds for this contract, or at least funds in excess of the merit shop bid. (I think I'm getting all this pretty accurately, but it's been a while so I may not have this exact).

The union contractor sued the OSFC. During the trial, the judge decided that while the commission had voted to authorize him to make these decisions, the commision's vote was not valid as it contradicted their charter requirement to vote on every contract. The judge publicly skewered the director for his illegal actions, and accused him of abusing the public trust. Oddly, the commissioners themselves received no similar punishment or similar public humiliation. The director resigned in disgrace. I personally believe he was used as a sacificial lamb - possibly set up long in advance, in anticipation of an inevitable challenge from the union lobby - by commission members who needed cover from, or who personally wanted to repeal, the prevailing wage exemption. The exemption is still in place, but for how long, no one knows. The process got a really black eye during the whole debacle.

The OSFC sets design and construction standards for state school projects. Contrary to what many may think, many of the decisions regarding materials and construction techniques are not left to the private sector architect's discretion. Also, I know that at least Ohio and Pennsylvania have so-called "Taj Mahal" legislation that limits or prohibits state funding of building features that are considered "luxuries," including custom design components or materials (custom concrete block would not pass muster around here!).

So the architects - at least the ones around here - start out with a handbook of acceptable design standards issued by the state. They then have to design a facility that will be approved by the local school board, who will bring a whole range of opinions, informed and otherwise (usually otherwise)to the process.

Which gets us to the concrete block wall. Steve's right. Interior concrete block walls are, roughly speaking, three times as expensive as the average non-loadbearing metal stud and drywall partition, and at least twice as expensive as a more durable version of the drywall solution. Drywall construction is easier to move as the building's needs evolve. And contrary to common belief, they offer better acoustical separation than a simple concrete block wall. Every architect who has three brain cells to rub together is aware of this, and would generally prefer to use them wherever practical for a number of reasons. At least around here, they are used in different applications in school construction.

But in areas that are going to take high abuse, they will face more damage than concrete block walls. And while the fix is relatively cheap, those school board members often have a tough time thinking about longterm life-cycle costs when they're just trying to hold the more immediate annual budget: "My God, we just built this school two years ago, and the walls are beat to heck! Now we've got to spend all this money to fix them, the money's not in our budget, and the state doesn't give us money for routine maintenance. What was that idiot architect thinking?! Why didn't he design sturdy concrete block walls, like they had when I was in school? I'm telling you, that moron has cost us so much trouble, he'll never work for this school district again!!!"

Even in areas that aren't "abused," but are simply high traffic, drywall partitions may not be the best choice. High-traffic doors set in drywall partitions will need more maintenance and upkeep for proper function than those set in a more sturdy masonry partition.

So I generally agree with most of Steve's ideas. I can attest to the wisdom of rolling back prevailing wage rates for (at least) school construction. I agree that there should be severe limits on any custom design and construction elements in school buildings. I agree that school buildings can be built more effectively for both their current program and future flexibilty. I don't entirely agree that the developer's spec office building model (with which I am much more familiar with than with schools)is always necessarily the model for schools. Contrary to Steve's comment, I've almost never seen a developer concerned about longterm life-cycle cost over lower initial cost. Most of these buildings are built to be as cheap as possible upfront, to be filled and sold as quickly as possible. Schools could learn a whole lot from the developer's demands for "off the shelf" components and technology and extreme flexibility for changing tenant/users' needs. But they're not designed to be flipped in a year or two, their occupants are (generally) less mature and (somewhat)more likely to abuse the buildings, their design is inextricably affected by the political realities of the state and local bureaucracies that will approve both design and dictate maintenance budgets.

We can't design the little red brick school house anymore. We shouldn't be poor stewards of taxpayer money by designing facilities that are expensive to build, and more expensive to maintain. The school for the 21st century should be very different from the high school that I attended (built in 1960). But neither can it be a 14' clear steel and stucco office/warehouse "flex" building split up with 25 gauge steel studs and drywall, with a bus lane in front. Close, maybe, but not quite. wink

.rvaga* Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Dwain,

Interesting read. I will find out whether there is a loophole of some kind that allows for non-union labor in this state. I would doubt it, but it would be of interest to know.

A couple of comments re block wall construction, simply from the visual perspective. It looks great! Can't imagine that the front of the building will start to look like a ghetto in 30 years, as the imposing front looks massive and strong. And, the block is protected by a large foyer encased in glass. I guess from my perspective, I've always thought that. . . if they're going to build something that will be around for 50-100 years or more, make it architecturally pleasing instead of just functional.

But, I do realize that it's expensive to alter. The interior walls for the band room were completed, and the band director insisted he needed a large glass window between his office and the band room, so he could see what's going on even while sitting in his office. The change in the wall, as I recall, cost around $3,000. Point is, and as you suggested, it's expensive to ever change anything in such a building.

A
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A
Very interesting to hear from the rest of the country and all you impressively involved parents.

A few (subjective) words from Central PA, though nothing like as practical as Steve Miller and others with such useful, specialized expertise...

To start with a gripe, though it is OT, since it has been already been brought up...to wit, the amount of time spent on standardised testing instead of teaching.

It certainly has gotten worse with the NCLB mandates. Like all the rules and regs supposedly put in place to ensure quality and compliance in every area (medical care is even worse), it just requires the teachers and school personnel to spend time book-keeping and yes - "teaching to the test" - valuable time which could have been spent on inspired instruction.

I have been tempted to request my son be exempted from the tests, many of which go on for weeks, so he could spend his time doing something more useful (even if the teachers are having coffee breaks and catching up on paper-work). I have held back because he has a special educational program (IEP), which I spend so much time wrangling about, I don't want to stand out as a "problem Mom" anymore than I already have.

Note as an example, that the most recent snag was the administration's failure to arrange courses for him - ones we had agreed on - to the extent that I had to spend a week on the phone in late August patching his schedule together (they had forgotten to organize our IEP conference!). I had to postpone an operation on that account, which greatly disrupted my life.

Anyhow, I did sit down one day and figure the time cost of all the testing. I calculated that, incredibly, when the special assemblies for the various "issues" and interests were subtracted from the school day, assessments took up almost one hour for every four hours of instructional time! Not even counting the in-class preparation or the degree to which teaching is geared to the test style and material.

By special assemblies, by the way, I mean diversity, remembrance days, and anti-Drug programs, etc. All good ideas, but too many of them - and in the case of the anti-drug program, poorly implemented to the point of tragi-comedy in our District - the kids win candy for signing a public pledge not to take drugs for the year! What I call the "Fake a Stand" (a.k.a. "Take a Stand") program.

Oh yes, we also have regular "Inservice Days" - two this month - the kids stay home while the teachers supposedly engage in learning and discussions (not what I've heard takes place). And imagine, our District is having trouble coming up with the state-mandated number of instructional hours! They even cancelled Recess on that account, in favor of - what did they call it? - "structured physical interaction" or something. The rule now is that the kids are not allowed to talk to each other at what used to be Recess, and have to be in motion at all times...

The students' weeks and days are interrupted so much by all these special events, that classroom time is getting to be the real special event!

Imagine how much more they could learn if they just had more time in class! Teachers could incorporate these themes into their teaching plans, and - oh, well...I'm just a voice in the wilderness, and I do not want to cause a backlash against my son, which I know can happen.

About cutbacks and how to make ends meet.

Our District has a number of academic teams, for which they recruit the bright kids much like sports. I have refused to allow my son to participate in more than one (and what with that and piano and his advanced courses, he has often had to stay up until the early hours of the morning as it is!).

But that team, a computer group, has in recent years, won the school a completely equipped computer classroom, with all cutting-edge equipment and software! Not to mention special prizes for themselves. It's a great team. And the school loves them and the other teams too, because publicizing their recognition, makes the school look good - so they can keep raising taxes!

Almost all the academic competitions, award the schools something as nice or almost as nice as the student winners get. If it weren't for those prizes the school would be in much sorrier shape - and so would the kids, because our area treats sports, football especially, as a religion and the high academic achievers would be completely left out.

And of course, it is important, if it isn't done already to double up on school bus usage, with two shifts of "pick-up" and "delivery" morning and afternoon, to minimize the number of buses in the Fleet and their maintenance. In fact, our District now contracts most transporation out to an independent firm, which has been very cost-effective.

The big scandal around here in terms of construction disasters, by the way, was the shiny new middle school they spent a million dollars designing and breaking ground on, only to discover that the site was located over an immense sink-hole. One that kept expanding as they persevered...They seem to have somehow filled the breach, literally, but at unspeakable cost over-runs!

If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee.
~Abraham Lincoln~
A
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A
RVAGA,

Just saw this in today's NYTimes Opinions page, and was very struck as it's your state they are talking about, and the situation you've been describing!
(I would have posted a link instead of the article but don't know how, sorry)

TIMES NEWS TRACKER

Topics Alerts
Oregon

Education and Schools
Economic Conditions and Trends

Teaching Kids a Lesson
By BOB HERBERT

HILLSBORO, Ore.

It's still chilly in northwestern Oregon, and there's a real bite to the wind in the evenings. But for the 19,000 students in the sprawling Hillsboro public school district, summer vacation is coming real soon.

Starved for money, Hillsboro lopped 17 days off the school year. It is not alone. Throughout this budget-stricken state, school districts are dismantling programs, firing employees and tearing pages off the school calendar.

There's a twist on an old adage at work here — if it ain't broke, break it. The Oregon public school system was terrific, one of the best in the nation. Now, suddenly, it's speeding along the road to ruin, the victim of a bad economy and, more than anything else, the radical antitax fever that has gripped so many Americans.

The idea that American kids in 2003 — first and second graders, juniors and seniors in high school — could be forced out of their classrooms because the public will not come up with the money to pay for them is astonishing.

"During the Great Depression we didn't close schools," said Dr. Walter Hellman, a physics teacher at Hillsboro High School. "We didn't close schools during World War II. Are we the most civically irresponsible generation in Oregon in 100 years? That's a problem."

Oregon is experiencing a budget meltdown. Home to Intel and other high-tech highfliers, it suffered disproportionately from the bursting of the technology bubble. Its jobless rate is the highest in the U.S. And it is being squeezed, like many other states, by a dismal national economy.

The result has been a hemorrhaging of state revenues so severe that such fundamental services as schools, basic health care and law enforcement have been undermined. A ballot proposal to raise the state income tax temporarily and thus ward off at least some of the cuts to schools and to services desperately needed by the sick and the disabled was rejected by voters in January.

Something ugly is happening in Oregon, and it is not unrelated to the sense of economic insecurity and the erosion of support for traditional public services that have spread across the U.S. There is a faint but unmistakable whiff of the Depression in the air. The states, collectively, are mired in their worst budget situation in half a century. Long-term unemployment across the country is way up. The lines at food banks are lengthening. And hard-core child poverty, only recently on the run, is threatening a comeback.

For years the residents of Hillsboro, a scenic suburb of Portland, felt insulated from such problems. More than 80 percent of the parents send their children to the public schools, which by all accounts have been thriving. But school funding in Oregon is a state responsibility, and neither the Legislature nor the voters have been willing to raise the additional money needed to keep the system going.

Now, in Hillsboro and other districts, there's not even enough money to keep the schools open a full year.

"The kids are being told their schools are not important and we can close them, and that's how you balance the state budget," said Ike Maness, president of the Hillsboro Education Association. "People are starting to refer to Oregon as the Mississippi of the West."

One of the more mature approaches to the crisis is coming from Ian Atkins, an 18-year-old senior at Glencoe High School who could fit the stereotype of the all-American kid. He played football and baseball, ran track and participated in poetry jams. A music program in elementary school enabled him to go on to the Portland Symphonic Boy Choir. In September he will begin classes at the University of Oregon.

Mr. Atkins is dismayed by the trashing of a school system that treated him so well. He noted that even deeper cuts are planned for next year.

"I've had so many opportunities, including sports and all the electives," he said. "It's not fair that the same classes and the same opportunities won't be around for the kids who are coming up through the schools now."

He and another student have organized a campaign to save the system. They are not casting blame, and they don't want to hear excuses. They are simply demanding that state legislators and other responsible officials find a solution — and soon — to a problem that is as absurd as it is destructive.

Columnist Page: Bob Herbert
Forum: Discuss This Column

E-mail: bobherb@nytimes.com

~Abraham Lincoln~
.rvaga* Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ariel,

Thank you for posting the article. Yes, I saw this as well.

I'm feeling quite awful.

I began my efforts, active in this school district several years ago. My kids were in school (one still is), I was an Asst. Prof and felt obliged to volunteer as much as possible, to "give back" in my own way to our public school district.

Now, I find myself one of seven, on a committee that will determine the fate of teachers, programs, and traditional extra-curricular activities. Some on this committee are rather cut-throat, dry and matter-of-fact. They don't seem to feel the empathy that is tearing at me, or perhaps they just don't let on.

It was no fun last night, having a Media Specialist approach, tears in her eyes, asking for time to explain the importance of her job. . . And this scenario is happening repeatedly.

Sorry for venting in the above.

Yes, these are tough times in Oregon.

I know these are tough times most everywhere.

We just happen to be the State where the severity of the economic condition is making the news, even the NY Times.

frown

A
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A
rvaga,

As you describe it now, the situation sounds absolutely heart-breaking. I guess some people like that sort of thing - playing God - but I sure don't envy you.

Is it the kind of deal, where the seven of you vote and majority rules?

It has obviously passed the bake-sale stage, to say the least. Isn't there some kind of mandate about the minimum no. of hours of "instructional time" (by level) the kids have to get? There sure is in Pennsylvania - too many student absences for a given school even and that school gets State aid cut! Hence, the loss of recess as described above in my lengthy post before the article...

Thinking in terms of damage control, human damage to the employees, a few thoughts.

Do you think it might be possible to combine your committee's decision-making process with a bit of support provided for those losing their jobs (or part of it?) - some combination of counseling (grief counseling really) and advising? By advising, I was thinking of grant-proposal style advising, help finding a different location, (probably different state or even a private school setting), where their skills might be in demand?

Even - if their position is being cut in half, say - how they might supplement their income while waiting for better times? Assistance finding low-cost insurance, for those losing medical benefits because of becoming part-time, and so forth...?

That way you wouldn't lose all your good people, and down the road (thinking optimistically), not be able to re-hire the same quality.

And it would give everybody a greater sense of control.

Here's an area where parent volunteers, psychologists and fact-finders of various sorts could really help! And it might also make the kids feel better, as well as I think, being the right thing to do.

Note - it would make you feel better too!

I think you personally deserve a lot of credit for pitching in all these years, and especially now with this excruciating task. Ask yourself - what would happen, if there weren't someone on that committee with the values you are bringing to the process?

Good luck,

Ariel

~Abraham Lincoln~
One thing that I have not seen mentioned too much are magnet schools. For some skills that are rather specialized but are worthy of administration by a school, I've found that magnets work well and probably cut costs too.

In South Carolina, where I grew up, there are two state-sponsored residential magnet schools that teach the last two years of high school. One is for the Arts and the other is for Science and Mathematics. I attended the Science and Mathematics institution and the education I got was first rate. I took classes in Calculus, Vertebrate Biology, Organic Chemistry, AP-level US History, and Computer Science combined with a senior research thesis in HIGH SCHOOL.

People applied to get in and the state paid for tuition, room, and board. All we had to pay for was anything else (basically, I'm bored with the cafeteria and want to eat out money)

Certainly it's less expensive to operate one school with the program rather than 20. Now, I agree that educational programs up to a certain level are necessary everywhere, but concentrating advanced programs in fewer locations can save money while keeping the programs available to citizens who desire to use them.

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, `I drank what?'"

Ringer
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/michellemalkin/mm20030502.shtml
Peter Jennings and the New York Times couldn't get enough of the looting stories out of Iraq. But they couldn't care less about a massive, systematic looting scheme here at home that is robbing America's schoolchildren and rank-and-file teachers blind.

These homegrown plunderers have been accused or convicted of siphoning precious educational resources to pay for homes, hotel bills, mink coats, crystal, fine art, furniture, vacations, car repairs, football tickets, limousine service, their children's private school tuition, and Democrat party lobbying.

These sticky-fingered fiends are based in Washington, D.C., Miami-Dade, Fla., and in gilded office buildings across the country.

These are the looters liberals ignore: the greedy leaders of America's public teachers' unions.

While Democrats fumed over a handful of pilfered artifacts in Baghdad last month, the son-in-law of a top Washington, D.C., teachers' union official pleaded guilty in federal court to money laundering charges involving nearly half a million dollars' of union funds. Michael Wayne Martin created a bogus company and funneled more than $480,000 in checks from the Washington Teachers Union into a bank account for the fake firm.

Martin kept some of the money for himself to cover personal expenses including his home mortgage, credit card bills, car notes, vehicle maintenance, home improvement projects, his kids' school bills, Washington Redskins tickets, and limo service. The rest of the booty was repaid to former union president Barbara Bullock; her aide, Gwendolyn Hemphill (Martin's mother-in-law); and former union treasurer James Baxter.

All three are subjects of a federal grand jury investigation; they are suspected of embezzling a grand total of at least $5 million in funds over seven years. Earlier this year, FBI agents seized luxury items from their homes or businesses, including African art, designer clothes, handbags, wigs, a 50-inch flat-screen, plasma television, furs, a crystal ice bucket and a 288-piece set of Tiffany sterling silverware.

In a separate court hearing this week involving the Washington union's parent body, the American Federation of Teachers, U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan lambasted national union officials for failing to audit the Washington leadership. "It's a sad commentary," Sullivan noted. "It seems everyone in a responsible position fell asleep at the switch. The only ones who were vigilant were the thieves, who took everything that wasn't nailed down."

An even bigger scandal is brewing in Miami-Dade County, Fla., which is home to the nation's fourth largest, ailing, failing, overcrowded school district. Federal and local investigators this week raided the mighty United Teachers of Dade headquarters, hauling off boxes of financial records belonging to union head Pat Tornillo. Tornillo, a Democrat heavy who commands a $4 million annual payroll (including his own $243,000 yearly salary), is suspected of diverting union funds to pay for homes, hotel bills and other perks, according to the Miami Herald.

So much for the poor students still crammed in portable classrooms failing their tests.

Tornillo oversaw a disastrous spending binge on real estate and used the union's political and economic clout to secure lucrative construction and insurance contracts for cronies, set the school year calendar, stack the school board, dominate Florida Democrat Party circles, and maintain the highest average teacher salaries in Florida.

"The mismanagement and lavish lifestyle and all of the perks at the members' expense have been pretty obvious,'' local union critic Damaris Daugherty told the Herald. So obvious, and yet so thoroughly ignored by big government elites who refuse to acknowledge what a bureaucratic parasite the teachers' union apparatus has become.

As muck-raking journalist Peter Brimelow argues in his devastating new expose, The Worm in the Apple: How the Teacher Unions Are Destroying American Education, teachers' union monopolies have put a chokehold on our education system, much like the "trusts" that stifled American businesses a century ago. Through their collective bargaining power, forced dues schemes, and "self-perpetuating staff oligarchy," the "Teacher Trust" has succeeded in providing ever more money and benefits not for students -- but for themselves. This power grab would not have been possible without a socialized government school system immune from private competition and sustained by a bottomless well of taxpayer funds.

But hey, when it's done in the name of public schoolchildren, it isn't "looting." It's "professional development."

Wheels
.rvaga* Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ariel:
Do you think it might be possible to combine your committee's decision-making process with a bit of support provided for those losing their jobs (or part of it?) - some combination of counseling (grief counseling really) and advising? By advising, I was thinking of grant-proposal style advising, help finding a different location, (probably different state or even a private school setting), where their skills might be in demand?
Even - if their position is being cut in half, say - how they might supplement their income while waiting for better times? Assistance finding low-cost insurance, for those losing medical benefits because of becoming part-time, and so forth...?
Ariel, thank you for the absolutely wonderful idea!!!

Yes, I will look into this. There must be as much done as possible, to help people that will lose their jobs. The district undoubtedly has a structure in place that could be called to action. So much better than a pink slip, and a "see ya" attitude.

We are in the final stages of public input. Last night (and again tonight) people get 3 minutes at the mic, to address their concerns/issues to the School Board and Budget Committee. Good comments, some thought out suggestions, and some whackos. . .

smile

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Kreisler:
My vote for cuts is in the area of technology. We need to SLASH technology budgets from schools bigtime.

The idea of a computer and internet in every classroom is a waste. Computers are unnecessary for many basic educational needs - language, mathematics, social sciences, geography, etc...

Many schools use computers when they don't need to, and many computers in school classrooms go unused.

! smile
Have to disagree with this one.

Computers are required in most colleges today.
Students need to become proficient using the computer (not just playing games).

I work for an educational publisher. We now publish a major percentage of our content on CD roms and on the web.
Why? Because it can be designed to be interactive. Students (and teachers) can get instant feedback, lessons can be automatically tailored to the areas identified as needing further study.
No, this isn't any substitute for a good teacher, only a supplemental aid to help our often overworked educators.

We actually provide complete copies of some of our textbooks online along with online classrooms.
Advantages?...
  • Student doesn't have to lug the textbook home or worry about forgetting their book
  • Interactive ancillary materials can be connected to the book.
  • New material can be added.
  • Parents can view their students progress online
  • Homework assignments can be posted online (no more excuses "I forgot my homework assignement"
  • Parents (and students) can communicate online with the teacher (in addition to classroom visits)
  • Interesting multi-media can be used (animations, sound, etc.)
  • Online access is cheaper than purchasing the hard copy, saving schools from the expense of purchasing additional copies.

And...
Some states will soon require publishers to provide online content as well as online purchasing (yes, we have online stores too).
- Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

.rvaga* Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Frank,

I would be very interested to learn more. Do you have some links you could provide, perhaps some reviews by district curriculum committees, examples of how a school district implemented a full system (i.e., parent review of homework, password access, assignments, server requirements, etc.)?

Our district is forced to cut $300K - $500K in textbook purchases (ballpark figures at this point). I'm not sure our curriculum folks are aware of a possible hi-tech partial alternative. They tend to (so I've heard) follow the lead of larger districts across the country which of course can result in acquiring a very watered-down politically correct textbook.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission