Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
53 registered (AndrewJCW, anamnesis, A Flat Minor, 13 invisible), 824 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#72139 - 10/28/07 11:58 AM Newbie question
stavroski Offline

Loc: Liverpool, UK
Hey Guys,

I've been hanging around here reading threads for a good few weeks now, and finally decided that it was time to join in and post. I currently own a Hohner HP-128 upright, which after playing it for 12 or so years I feel it is now time to upgrade to a better piano, as I find the action somewhat uneven and the tone is horrifically bright, and impossible to contain. I've had it voiced and this was great for a month or so, but then went back to same old 'bright' tone again, which unless I get the hammers changed (considering that it's only a budget instrument anyway) is the very nature of this piano.

I have been thinking of getting a grand of around 180 - 190 for some time, I did go and try out a Boston GP-178 at Hawker and Howarth in Bolton a while back, and was impressed with the action and the tone of this piano - although compared to my meagre upright anything will sound infinitely better. From reading through the various other posts, I know that people seem to recommend the Estonia grands, which if I can convince the wife to let me spend more, may well be in the frame however I am yet to play on one.

Firstly does anybody in the UK know of anywhere that stocks Estonia pianos in the North West - I know that Besbrode in Leeds has one in (it's been there a while as far as I can tell)..... and secondly, I am after some advice becuase I struggle with justifying this amount of money on the purchase of a piano, when I class my playing as intermediate. This is becuase neither my wife or I are high earners, and although she supports me in my musical endeavours (I do a bit of composing on the side and am studying a diploma in media composition through Music for the Media) I would struggle with the guilt trip probably when I know we should have gotten double glazing instead \:\) , plus we will have to sacrifice the dining table to get it into the house which means no more dinner parties unless guests are happy to eat from off of their knees...

It's frustrating being a musician as it is such an expensive hobby, and I have issues with other people in my / her family thinking that I'm selfish for even considering this. Trouble is, none of them play and it's impossible to explain to people how a better piano would bring more pleasure and enjoyment to the hobby that I obssess over. However, they will think nothing of going out and spending a lot of money on a new TV system or similar so that they can sit and mindlessly watch instead of trying to contribute something creative to the world.... does anyone else have experience of this?

Looking forward to your replies

Stav.
Yamaha EX5
Roland XV3080
Muse Receptor Rev.C
East West Bosendorfer 290 amongst others....

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#72140 - 10/28/07 01:06 PM Re: Newbie question
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Hello stavroski

The Estonia is a very fine piano indeed.
I doubt you will find many more dealers, if any, other than Besbrode selling Esstonia new in the UK: there are not that many Estonia dealers in Europe afterall.

I would suggest you and your wife first go to Besbrode to play an Estonia and judge if it is indeed the grand you like most.

If so, only you and you wife can decide how much you want to spend on a grand. Do not let your family decide what you should buy or not buy, especially if they are not muscians.

I can however imagine they will not appreciate having to eat "from off their knees" on the first occasion. Perhaps you could find a way still finding a more suitable space for a grand or buy some kind of a foldable table?

schwammerl.

#72141 - 10/28/07 02:17 PM Re: Newbie question
stavroski Offline

Thanks shwammerl

I think that we may well have a trip over to Besbrode to try it out, and to also compare it to other 'high end' pianos that they have on sale there. I am prepared to take my time over making this decision, we both know that choosing a piano is a decision that we will have to live with for years to come, so it's important to get the right one.

As for the family, I am sure that they will come around to the idea eventually.....at least if any of my music ever becomes successful:)
Yamaha EX5
Roland XV3080
Muse Receptor Rev.C

#72142 - 10/28/07 02:30 PM Re: Newbie question
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
When talking to folks who have a difficult time appreciating the various aspects of piano ownership, the car is often a useful analogy, because we are all familiar with it.
Compare:
-purchase price
-depreciation
-maintenance
-insuracnce/tax
and anyone will see that a car is a money sink hole.
Sure, cars help us get around to do the things we need to do and so on. But for recreational value for dollar, I think a piano is very worth while. Push for your dreams.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#72143 - 10/28/07 04:16 PM Re: Newbie question
Big Bird Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
To hell with the family and the opinions of others.

The only thing is...I wouldn't sacrifice my dining table for a piano.

Is there not a high quality upright that you would find suitable?

www.myspace.com/harryg73

#72144 - 10/28/07 05:34 PM Re: Newbie question
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Come on Bird, with the right height of bar stools, you can seat eight people around a grand for a classy candle light dinner....

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#72145 - 10/28/07 06:37 PM Re: Newbie question
stavroski Offline

LOL Supply, I'm sure that it'll catch on and become the next big craze that sweeps the country 'trade your dining table for a piano and be entertained while you eat'. Sounds good to me, I can then justify getting an even bigger one to fit more 'guests' around....

I must admit that I've thought about an upright, e.g. Bosendorfer or Steinway K, and as nice as those may be, I will still yearn after a grand from both an aesthetic and playing perspective. If I'm going to spend this much money on something that I will be paying off for a long time, I may as well go the whole hog....

Incidentally, what are peoples opinions of high end uprights? I know they will vary from piano to piano, but in comparision with say a comparable grand how does the action fare and tone, given that it will be up against a wall...
Yamaha EX5
Roland XV3080
Muse Receptor Rev.C

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Console F Model
by DeadPoets
08/01/15 02:52 AM
A fresh Rachmaninov Paganini Rhapsody
by argerichfan
08/01/15 02:03 AM
Wedding Prelude Music
by Arghhh
08/01/15 01:59 AM
Autopiano Player Piano Questions
by mrj_442
08/01/15 12:51 AM
What is the Genre of this Piece?
by GenoSen
08/01/15 12:18 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,214 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,904 Topics
2,431,784 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission