Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#723066 - 05/30/02 01:13 PM Nothing
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
A woman who almost gets it:

Diana Keough

Piano & Music Accessories
#723067 - 05/30/02 01:39 PM Re: Nothing
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
\:\) \:\) \:\) Jodi

#723068 - 05/30/02 03:57 PM Re: Nothing
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
True.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#723069 - 05/31/02 03:38 PM Re: Nothing
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: central oregon
The author is right, boys are a bit weird. I don't get it either.

The trouble is, I had girls first. Girls are great. Girls play Barbies for hours at a time. (To make sure they didn't play exclusively with "girl stuff", I bought them legos. They used them to build houses for their dolls \:\) ) My girls wore frilly dresses, even to the park. They kept their clothes clean and now my sister's girls are wearing these gently worn hand-me-downs. I thought the reason my girls were so quiet and well-behaved was because I was such a good mom.

Then I had boys. It has been a humbling experience. All of their toys are weapons. Anything that was not originally manufactured to be a gun, sword or club will be cleverly fashioned into one. :rolleyes: Their legos are made into guns...or vehicles that get crashed or blown up. Their clothes are never clean. This has actually cut down on my laundry. Since whatever they are wearing will be filthy within 10 minutes of getting dressed in the morning, they just wear the same clothes all week. (I do make them change their underwear every day.)

Along with lowering my standards of cleanliness, having boys forced to me rethink my ideas on acceptable behavior. Loud is OK, punching and hitting goes unnoticed unless there is blood, and whether or not to let them play with toy guns is a moot point.

I'm not sure why they are like this but, well, boys are great,too, even tho they are baffling. Now if I could just figure out how to get them to sit still long enough to learn to play the piano.

#723070 - 05/31/02 11:05 PM Re: Nothing
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Nancy,

To get your boys to play the piano, you simply need to choose the right teacher. There is no formula to do this, just ask around at schools, local stores, other teachers, and you will find one.

If you were in Philly I could recommend a dozen.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#723071 - 06/01/02 02:59 AM Re: Nothing
Steve Miller Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by nancyww:
I'm not sure why they are like this but, well, boys are great,too, even tho they are baffling. Now if I could just figure out how to get them to sit still long enough to learn to play the piano.[/b]
I am not sure what the best way to do this will be, but perhaps if you fashioned a piano course around "piano as weapon....."

#723072 - 06/01/02 08:19 AM Re: Nothing
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
To promote a mixture of crazed mayhem and piano, I have but three words of advice:

Jerry Lee Lewis.

Just tell 'em they can learn to play like ol' Jerry Lee, just as soon as they learn some of this classical stuff. They might even be a rock star. And besides, chicks dig piano players!

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#723073 - 06/01/02 09:18 PM Re: Nothing
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Nancy - ditto on all the boys stuff. My son (8) puts holes in the knees of a pair of new pants after about three days. I have resigned myself to buying cheapo sweat pants until he decides to walk erect like the rest of us. Every hike ends with some sort of stick that resembles a grenade launcher. (And they DO look like grenade launchers, it's quite amazing, really) I have "retired" countless squirt guns during our packing. At the dinner table, we either end up talking about what weapon outdoes what other weapon, or we are dissolving into laughter over the funny noises the ketchup bottle makes. *sigh* But he LOVES the piano. He has figured out the first bit of Malaguena by just listening to me play it, and he has figured out the Legomania theme song as well. He sits down a lot and just messes around. Unlike my daughter (11) who whines big time when it's time to practice. Girls are easier in some ways that boys, but in my experience, they can be quite difficult in other ways. The cliques that seem to form earlier than I remember can get pretty nasty - sometimes I wish they would just duke it out and get it over with instead of playing all these mind games with each other... ;\) Jodi

#723074 - 06/02/02 03:26 AM Re: Nothing
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: central oregon
My piano teacher takes a break from classical music in the summer and gives 4 week sessions with special themes: jazz, composition, broadway tunes.... maybe she'd be willing to try a "jerry lee lewis" or a "weapons" theme. \:D However, my boys would only attend if the class were over in 10 minutes of less (5 would be better) and if they could go in their favorite holey jeans.

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (ando, Atrys, AZ_Astro, AndrewJCW, Almaviva, 35 invisible), 1515 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156796 Topics
2303876 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
08/19/14 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
08/19/14 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
08/19/14 07:23 PM
I have been deceived
by WurliFan
08/19/14 06:25 PM
Tracking down a grand piano in Vancouver, BC
by King Bhumi
08/19/14 06:20 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission