Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#726975 - 01/06/04 12:54 PM "I Denounce It!!!"
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
In light of recent claims that the liberals NEVER condemn anything done or said by their ilk, or that conservatives NEVER condemn anything said or done by their ilk (isn't that a fun word to use?), I offer this thread as an opportunity for anyone to show how both sides can disagree with specific positions made by their own political brethren, whether members of this forum or national spokespeople or public figures, official or otherwise; or with the tactics used by them in particular instances.

But first, a few rules. Most importantly, any such denunciation must be complete and unqualified. For example, there shouldn't be any "Well of course the 9/11 hijackers were terrorists and did something wrong, BUT they had a valid point about..." (using an extreme example). There should be no qualifiers or justifications to your bellying up to the bar and speaking out against something said or done by a "compatriot," or similarly, in support of an adversary - either would qualify for inclusion in this thread. Second, if a denunciation of some act references to a member of our group, keep it to the point and as narrowscope as possible, without getting into an actual personal attack. Simply say, for example, "I think So-and-So was mistaken when s/he said blah, blah, blah...". Simple. Factual. To the point. Similarly, responses or rationalizations from any person who is mentioned in any disagreement will not be tolerated. If someone wants to argue aobut it privately, fine, but that's not the intent of this thread at all.

Since I believe that words have meaning, and they can't be "unspoken" after the fact, I don't want to have to delete this thread. But if it goes in the wrong direction and turns ugly, I reserve the right to pull the plug. And that would be a real shame.

So, come clean, people. Show everyone that you can occasionally agree with your opponent, and disagree with your compatriot. I'll start:

1. I denounce all personal, non policy related attacks on Hillary Clinton - or any other political figure for that matter. I further denounce any lewd photoshopped or animated images of her as tasteless, uncalled for, and counterporductive.

2. I think that my good friend Larry sometimes goes in for the kill in a debate with a bit too much generalization.

3. It is a very sad thing that longtime die-hard liberal columnist Mary McGrory suffered a stroke and is unable to continue writing. She was a talented writer, and I wish her the best in the remainder of her days.

4. I think that our new member Jack Frost is a class act.

5. I denounce anyone who claims that all liberals are unpatriotic or un-American.

Now, it's your turn...

Piano & Music Accessories
#726976 - 01/06/04 01:05 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
1. Most of Bush's current fiscal policy - simply can't stand it. Tax cuts are great, reform is great, but giving away money for nothing, is not needed.

2. Lewd pictures of Hillary. I've already spoken out against those - twice.

3. A lot of Ann Coulter's stuff. If you notice, I don't think I've ever used any of it.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#726977 - 01/06/04 01:24 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
Yeah, but she's hot.....

speaking in general terms, of course....... ;\) :p

#726978 - 01/06/04 01:31 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Dwain: I don't believe the forumae and i still have the power to delete whole threads...I might be wrong. We still have the power to delete our own posts.

love and peace, Ă•un (apple in Estonian)

#726979 - 01/06/04 01:49 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

apple, if that's true, it is all the more reason for people to take responsibility for what they say. Still, if things take a death spiral, I will ask Frank to delete the thread and hope he would comply.

#726980 - 01/06/04 02:13 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
1. I denounce all accusations of treason or lack of patriotism when there is a legitimate disagreement on politics.

2. I denounce most of the name-calling and "last-word-itis" that occurs whenever we feed the trolls. For that matter, I denounce feeding the trolls.

3. I denounce the tactic where individuals on this forum who legitimately disagree are taunted, called names, or told they are just "too stupid to get it." This transcends left or right.

4. I denounce the BCS. ;\)

Nina

#726981 - 01/06/04 04:10 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
1. I denounce the entire House of Representatives and the Senate as a gutless bunch of politicians more committed to re-election, than doing what’s best for the country.

2. I especially denounce any member of congress who gives in to arm-twisting/threats and changes his/her vote in return for favors, or “earmarks”.

3. Agreeing with Jolly, I renounce most of Bush’s economic policy as fiscally irresponsible.

4. I denounce anyone who resorts to vicious personal attacks on any poster.

5. I agree with conservative’s support of Bush’s initial attack on Afghanistan.

6. I denounce any “distasteful” ads, cartoons, in reference to any President, any Democratic candidate, or any political figures, while recognizing everyone’s second amendment rights.

7. I denounce Dwain's decision not to treat us all to a streaking! ;\)

#726982 - 01/06/04 05:19 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
  • I denounce all past, present and future denouncing.
  • I denounce all attempts to get people to stop acting like themselves.
  • I denounce any statements denouncing my denouncing of denouncing.
  • I denounce any statement that takes its author far too seriously, as I view the contributions here as enlightening, but view the Coffee Room as hardly a pulpit from which to convert heathens or call for the repentence of heretics. Arguments here are of little consequence to anyone other than those arguing.
  • I denounce all of the above. :p

#726983 - 01/06/04 05:37 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
bcarey,

I think you've (we've) gone off the trail a bit - if I understand things right.

I believe that folks were asked to demonstrate their ability to disagree with an issue related to their affiliation -- i.e. a conservative who speaks in favor of abortion rights or a liberal supporting tax reductions. Your agreeing with Jolly would thus be crossing the line if I understand things correctly.

Shantnik supports none of this -- so he may be exempt from participation.

Ken

#726984 - 01/06/04 07:25 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
If Dwain (didn't you like the Knock Knock joke, or was it just too old? \:\( ) is correct in his premise - that the liberals on PF stick together and rarely if ever disagree on political issues publicly, while the righties do it with gusto (excuse the paraphrasing), here's my rather novice, (having existed for less than half a year), observation.

We on the left have a very weak voice relative to the right, Not because we're less informed, intelligent or moral, but because the handful of regular, rightie posters are utterly dedicated and tenacious (and often very nasty) in duking out their views, insisting on getting the last word, and attempting to demean and humiliate those contrary (I know, I've said this all befor and I feel like a broken record, AND some of you ARE getting better, but I'm stating things as I see them).

I noticed just the other day that it seemed more liberals were speaking up. There is DEFINITELY, safety in numbers, and this phenomenon seemed to be at work. Many people are very, very timid about posting on public forums. I've only been involve in one other - my high school's - but, from that experience, I KNOW that that is the case. And, with a little stroking and a few posts without being reamed, some people are tempted to post more.

So, assuming my premise is right, I think the attitude among the few regular lefties posting here is solidarity. We had BETTER bolster each other, because without mutual support, we will all be run out of town.

#726985 - 01/06/04 09:27 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
I don't like the word denounce, so pardon me while I use the word "question" instead.

Some of these might seem trivial, it's the principal involved that counts. I'm sure I've got more but they don't come to mind immediately.

I question those who want to abolish all forms of religious expression from the public scene. I do not question keeping religion and government strictly separated.

I question people, at all levels of society, who abuse "the government" for their personal benefit.

I question people who would use violence to achieve their goals.

I question people who are not able to accept compromise as necessary.

I question those who would sue McDonalds for their weight problems.

I question those who are unable to see nuance.

I question those who do not see that people, not guns, kill people. I do not question those who would like more gun control.

I question myself on a lot of issues.

#726986 - 01/06/04 10:32 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Jack Frost Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
I question myself on a lot of issues. [/b]
Now that is something I can agree with and respect. We need more of that around here and in the USA.

#726987 - 01/07/04 03:36 AM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
I question myself on a lot of issues. [/b]
I do the same.

\:D

Seriously, I agree with most of the things you've stated.

#726988 - 01/07/04 12:13 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I oppose people who kick puppies.
I'm dead-set against people who lie.
Same with people who cheat.
I like cotton candy and chocolate.

Sheesh...

I think people have either misunderstood my point, or are deliberately avoiding it. I'm looking for people to publicly voice opposition to some concept that is generally recognized to be typical to your political leanings, liberal or conservative; or actions made by those of your same leaning. To date, only a scant few have replied in this manner. We seem to be getting a lot of denunciations of things that are generic, not identifiable as a liberal vs. conservative issue; statements opposing or favoring things that are universally desireable (kind of like a Miss America contestant hoping for world peace); or rationalizations of why some people don't call their compatriots on their missteps.

So, is there a position that is generally viewed to be that of your own political leaning that you disagree with? Are there actions or tactics made by someone whose overall political viewpoint you share, that you would challenge?

#726989 - 01/07/04 08:56 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
John Andrew Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dwain Lee:

So, is there a position that is generally viewed to be that of your own political leaning that you disagree with? Are there actions or tactics made by someone whose overall political viewpoint you share, that you would challenge? [/b]
OK, I'll bite.

I am opposed (won't say denounce -- it's a bit harsh) to the actions taken to stop protestors around abortion clinics, particularly the use of the RICO laws.

It is one thing to make sure the protestors do not harm anyone or damage property, it is quite another to pass laws, regulations and civil suits to keep them from exercising their constitutional rights.

#726990 - 01/07/04 09:32 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
Ariel Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: NE
Dwain:
 Quote:
So, is there a position that is generally viewed to be that of your own political leaning that you disagree with? Are there actions or tactics made by someone whose overall political viewpoint you share, that you would challenge? [/b]
I think I've already done more than my share. In fact reading over my last post in the relevant thread, I am reminded again that I have no general position. As I said elsewhere, I am actually an anarchist with fascist leanings who is regarded to the naked eye as a Liberal on this Forum merely by psychological averaging. \:D

But I do want to put myself courageously on record as standing strongly in favor of the Good, and being firmly opposed to the Bad.

Ariel

P.S. Besides I still feel you owe me (and the Forum) a little fan-dance or something.

#726991 - 01/07/04 09:47 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I'm going to back you up Ariel with your own quote....

I already told you I was a closet fascist, Jolly. And you and I both scored fairly close on that Authoritarian continuum of the Political Compass, as I recall .

But don't go blaming my demagogic bent on the Liberals around here among whom I merely masquerade, in contrast to the other Ilk! Ariel

love and peace, Ă•un (apple in Estonian)

#726992 - 01/08/04 12:57 PM Re: "I Denounce It!!!"
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Did I miss something while I was eating my way through Scottsdale?

\:\) Jodi

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
181 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, Allard, 54 invisible), 1848 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157246 Topics
2309558 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
09/02/14 03:03 PM
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
09/02/14 02:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission