Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#728310 - 03/05/02 11:58 PM Hobbies
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Aside from playing piano, we all have hobbies. Wheather its playing a sport, some kind of arts and crafts activity, or just as simple as playing a game (or possibly a combintaion of these or other categories). We all have things that we like to do when we are not playing the piano. (Oh yeah, also discludes posting here. We are worse than making a hobby of that. We are addicted. Admit it, you are). Anyways, here is a list of things that I like to do when I am away from the piano:

Bowling
Biking
Swimming
Walk in the park
Walk through downtown (and empty all pocket change to the homeless on the way, and if I'm out of change, I get out the dollars)
Camping
Fishing (catch and release. I don't keep the fish. I just get a picture if its a big one. 1. I hate sea food. and 2. I don't like killing things, which means that I absolutly hate hunting above just about everything).
Hiking
Go to the beach
Golf and mini golf
Go to a movie
And the list could just go on and on. I almost never do these things without a friend with me. Anyways, I just wanted to know what the rest of you like to do in your spare time.

Piano & Music Accessories
#728311 - 03/06/02 12:27 AM Re: Hobbies
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Ok, here are mine:
Horses
Horses
Horses
Horses
\:\)
Gardening

#728312 - 03/06/02 01:35 AM Re: Hobbies
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Gee, I wonder if Jodi likes horses? :p \:\)

#728313 - 03/06/02 02:33 AM Re: Hobbies
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Jgoo, what an outdoorsman!

Mine:
the stock market (because I don't do it professionally, though it sounds strange to call it a hobby)
reading
movies!!!! I'm even having an Oscars party
collecting panda christmas ornaments (OK, I guess this is one confession I'll never live down!)
shopping (deep discounts only, must go for the kill)

and cooking, cooking, cooking (but this is now a semi-profession for me).

penny

#728314 - 03/06/02 06:37 AM Re: Hobbies
German Offline

Loc: Argentina
I love literature!
I also like philosophy and sometimes I take some english lessons. \:\)
Nowadays I'm reading about The history of Philosophy.

#728315 - 03/06/02 09:14 AM Re: Hobbies
lily_chauchoin Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Reading. I generally have 3 or 4 books going at a time. Currently I'm reading "The Fellowship of the Ring", "Catholicism" and "Wild Blue" (non-fiction account of bomber pilots in WWII)

Cross-stitching although I haven't done anything since I had my baby in October.

Debating. I'm fairly active on an internet Current Debates board.

Movies. I particularly adore ones from the '30's and '40's. Give me a screwball comedy with Cary Grant any time over most of the garbage coming out of Hollywood these days. \:\)

Lily

#728316 - 03/06/02 09:45 AM Re: Hobbies
Fritz Offline

Loc: Hatfield, PA, USA
The hobby (aside from piano) I am pursuing most right now is backpacking. I am heading out to the Appalachian Trail this weekend for a 25-mile hike. Love to be outdoors!

(If anyone is particularly bored today, you can see pics of my most recent trip here. )

I also enjoy writing, have written some poetry and a short story. All for my own enjoyment. Or therapy. ;\)

Of course, I like listening to music, all kinds. Drives my kids nuts (which is, come to think of it, another hobby of mine!)

I love to read but don't read much. Listen to tapes (audio-books) in the car during my long commute.

I like to surf the net and participate in discussion groups like this one. (I usually have a little more to contribute!)

(BTW, lily, where is the Debate group you referred to?)

Mostly, though, I am a family man. I have five children in a variety of activities, and I just run around like a nut trying to keep up with them all, and keep them all healthy and happy.

#728317 - 03/06/02 11:00 AM Re: Hobbies
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
My hobbies are:

running (5 miles every day)
auto racing
auto modification
skiing
fishing
hunting (please don't beat me up over this)
computers

Derick

P.S. Some nice scenary pictures Fritz!

#728318 - 03/06/02 11:24 AM Re: Hobbies
T2 Offline

I used to have a long list of interesting hobbies. Then I had twins. Now, my hobbies are:

- Being goofy with my kids
- Trying to get enough sleep.

Here's my pre-kids list (most of which I don't have the time to live up to right now):

- Music: Piano, singing, arranging, composition
- Martial arts: Expert level in Thai Kick Boxing, Filipino stick fighting (1986 world heavyweight champ), Jun Fan Gung Fu, Jujutsu, Silat (warfare-based S.E. Asian marial art)
- Weight training (competition level power lifter)
- Running (my wife and my dog both kick my tail)
- Cooking Thai food
- International Internetworking standards (contributor)

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: T2 ]

#728319 - 03/06/02 11:36 AM Re: Hobbies
Fritz Offline

Loc: Hatfield, PA, USA
T2,

I have five children, including twin boys who are just about to turn nine.

I have accepted the fact that I will catch up on my sleep when I die, and probably not before.

#728320 - 03/06/02 11:54 AM Re: Hobbies
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Sports:
Golf (a am about an 8 handicap. I also make my own clubs),
Tennis (I was on my HS team, but I suck now)
Fitness (I get to the weightroom once a week, I don't like running much)
Skiing and Skindiving (less frequently as they require travel. As I get older I also find the warm beach and tropical waters is becoming more appealing than freezing on the chairlift!)
Cooking (but not baking)
Watercolor Painting
Stunt Kites
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#728321 - 03/06/02 01:48 PM Re: Hobbies
Samejame Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NL, Canada
Well, playing piano is I guess a hobby for me, but besides that, we have two Golden Retrievers who keep us busy, I play and coach soccer, and I'm a man with a broom - I curl!

I'm also getting back into photography after a hiatus of a few years. Our family also spends alot of time camping; We have a pop-up tent camper that we take to the road virtually every chance we can get in the summer.

Jamie

#728322 - 03/06/02 02:58 PM Re: Hobbies
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Fritz:

Amen!

I only have two but they're in enough activities for 5.

#728323 - 03/06/02 03:43 PM Re: Hobbies
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Jamie - you curl? Kewl!

And, Fritz - those are fantastic pictures of your hike. You are quite the photographer. Was this hike like one of our forum get togethers? You all met on some message board and went somewhere and hiked for three days? Wow - that must've been some adventure! Jodi

#728324 - 03/06/02 03:45 PM Re: Hobbies
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Hobbies - avid reader (100+ a year), hunter, archery, gardening - primarily vegetables, around an acre's worth, firearms (all aspects) - including some amateur gunsmithing, exterior ballistics,and wildcatting. No need to call the FBI, they know who I am and my prints are on file! \:D Some woodworking, although I never seem to have the right tool. ;\)

I would have added cooking to the list, but down here that is a form of religion! \:\)

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#728325 - 03/06/02 07:21 PM Re: Hobbies
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
What with full-time work and the piano there isn't time for much of anything else. But you could consider the following my other hobbies: gardening (flowers and small shrubs), my landlord lets me tend a small plot in the back yard; birds: I have 3 lovebirds and 5 parakeets. They are not caged and the parakeet's home-base is a corner of the kitchen next to the window where they have nest boxes up on the wall, a tree branch attached to the wall with a flag-pole holder, and various swings. The love bird's homebase is a corner of the dining room where they have a similar set-up. They all spend most of their time at home base. Only the love birds occasionally fly into the living room or bathroom. It is hard for me to imagine life without birds. I've had birds for about 12 years.

If I had more time, let me re-phrase that: if I were independently wealthy, (ha!), I'd have a house (not far from the city) that would have a big conservatory filled with gorgeous flowers and many beautiful birds and I'd have wonderful perennial gardens and arbors and roses and small animals ... and ... probably a Steinway (ha ha!)

#728326 - 03/07/02 12:09 AM Re: Hobbies
iainhp Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Diego
Hobbies are something that you do on a regular basis. I can't even get to the piano to practice on a regular basis. However, stuff that I like to do whenever the opportunity arises (even if only once a year): skiing, sailing, boogey boarding/body surfing, camping, travel.

I would love to have a house with a back yard for a vegetable and flower garden, and a retirement to leave me enough time to garden at will!

#728327 - 03/07/02 01:30 AM Re: Hobbies
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: central oregon
You all are amazing. What an interesting group of people here. I also used to have hobbies before I had kids. Now I have piano and, well, the kids can be pretty entertaining, too!

#728328 - 03/07/02 09:44 AM Re: Hobbies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, here's my list:

piano
biking
taking a walk
inline skating
reading
playing parlour games with friends
gardening

Horse riding was on top of my hobby list as long as I stayed with my parents. They have a house in a suburb and the neighbours had a couple of horses which I were allowed to ride. I haven't been on horseback since I married nearly 10 years ago because since then I live in the city center. Not an ideal place to keep a horse.

But with a full-time job, the thing I do most for a hobby is actually piano playing. Not enough time for all favourite activities \:\(

#728329 - 03/07/02 11:32 AM Re: Hobbies
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
Hmmmm. My hobbies seem to change with the phase of the moon.

But when I'm not in the lab (or playing the piano), here's what I like to do:

karate/kobudo/jiu-jitsu
singing in the choir
knitting
crocheting
cooking/baking/other kitchen activities
bowling
biking
hiking
photography (expensive hobby though)

.... and the list goes on.

#728330 - 03/07/02 06:53 PM Re: Hobbies
Barbara Offline

Loc: Watkinsville, GA
We're moving to our retirement home in a couple of months. 1.6 acres, after swearing that we will have no more large yards. The front yard's okay. Back yard has been inhabited by 2 beagles & is totally bare except for an ugly tool barn. After I'm finished using all the HGTV whimsy (hate that word now)I can muster, it'll be adorable. We have to kill the weeds & START ALL OVER. I'm excited about being able to create a garden from scratch. So that will be my biggest hobby. Will also see the USA & visit grandkids who are too far away.

For all you folks who said your twins are your hobby, I raised a set & they turned out to be our best creation so far.

#728331 - 03/07/02 08:54 PM Re: Hobbies
Brendan Online   content

Loc: McAllen, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nici:

But with a full-time job, the thing I do most for a hobby is actually piano playing. Not enough time for all favourite activities \:\([/b]

Ich verstehe. Aber, Sie mussen denken, dass Leben aber lang ist und wir haben ja viele Zeit viele Dinge zu tun. Auch denken Sie, dass Sie sich ueber Musik freuen. Es ist so schade, dass zuviele Leute kein Lust dafuer haben.

Wo in Deutschland wohnen Sie?

Bitte Entschuldigung Sie, dass mein deutsch so schlecht ist...ich habe diese Sprache nur seit zwei Jarhren gesprochen.

(For everyone:

I understand. But, you must think that life is long and we really have a lot of time to do many things. Also think about how music pleases you. It is so unfortunate that too many people have no interest in it.

Where do you live in Germany?

Please forgive my horrible German...I've only spoken this language for two years)

My hobbies:
Deutsch \:D
(Just started learning Japanese also to accomodate the missus...SO HARD)

Computers - hardware, assembly, some light programming

I just started a regular workout program back in September also (even though it has waned a little in the past month :D)

Traveling - going to spend about a month in Italy this summer and then maybe some time in Japan afterwards.

Reading - Kurt Vonnegut, Oscar Wilde, Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, and music-geek stuff such as composer bios and analytical works.

#728332 - 03/08/02 04:38 AM Re: Hobbies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brendan and all,

first let me say that your German is rather good especially if you've spoken the language for two years only! My English was still a complete mess after the first two years of learning the language \:D
Ah, and you can say DU zu mir ;\)

Yes sure, life is long and there is still a lot of time to do all the things one likes to do later. It's just that I could do with a bit more outdoor activities. Sitting in front of a computer day in day out is not that kind of thing that keeps you healthy and fit ;\)
But when I have to decide between piano playing and sports I always choose piano playing. Making music has, especially since I work full-time, become the most comforting and relaxing activity in my life.

I live on the edge of the Ruhrgebiet (That's the region along the river Ruhr. Cities in this area you may have heard of are Essen, Dortmund and Bochum). The city where I actually live is rather medium sized, it's called Wuppertal.
[If anyone finds this name funny he/she is herewith invited to a good laugh because everybody does laugh about it, though I can't figure out why \:D ]

Brendan, if you like to use your German more often, feel free to email me privately.

#728333 - 03/08/02 11:42 AM Re: Hobbies
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

what an interesting group of people! fritz, how do you get in those long hikes with five kids at home? i see that you are accustomed to the type of backpacking trip that you have planned for montana. good luck! conditions are a little different out here.... mostly due to elevation and extreme weather any time of year, not to mention some very rugged terrain. but hey, sometimes the most memorable trips are the most arduous ones. \:\)

what i spend my time doing when i'm not hanging out on piano world (and i'm definitely thinking i need to take some cold turkey time off):

walking, grooming, training my dog
looking for puppies
cuddling the cat
talking to the vet or the breeder
fixing up this old house from the '30s--i renovated the living room before the piano got here.
gardening--we have a huge yard filled with roses and tulips and native plants and a dozen mature lilac trees, and i got my master gardener certification a few years ago.
cross country skiing
backpacking (the mountains are my life)
listening to music
reading--currently reading "fearless creating" but also read good fiction and junky magazines. this is an antidote to the TONS of reading i have to do for work.
surfing the 'net
working out at the health club
long walks with friends
potluck suppers with friends
piano parties with my fellow piano students
road trips and movies and date nights with the hubster
vacations to warm places with nice coral reefs!
mentoring the young people in my life

whew. no wonder i am always behind on my work!

;\)

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#728334 - 03/08/02 04:30 PM Re: Hobbies
Eldon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi,
Horses, horses and more horses. However, I have down-sized considerably....to just 4 from a high of 16. Also, when there's time, I love reading, tennis, movies, swimming and boating. And won of my biggest hobbies (yes, I do it regularly) is to daydream of Arizona. I love visiting there; plus I have some of my relatives there. (I've got 54 first cousins!)
I do have a new litter of puppies in the barn. A stray came and had eight! Boy are they ever CUTE! BTW Jodi, when will she come in heat...like how much time do I have before spaying her? She's a neat dog; and I've decided to keep her. None of my neighbors knew anything about her. She must have been dumped. I'm keeping one puppy. I'm also going to breed my paint mare next month. I'm going to use cool shipped semen. Wish me luck. Bye....

#728335 - 03/08/02 04:36 PM Re: Hobbies
T2 Offline

Ich studierte Deutsch and die Universitaet, aber habe ich fast alles vergessen.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: T2 ]

#728336 - 03/08/02 08:30 PM Re: Hobbies
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Eldon, Eldon - I SLEPT through small animal medicine and surgery. I remember next to NOTHING about small animal reproduction. But I'll look it up for you. ;\) Good luck with your mare - are you breeding her to a Paint? There is a lovely warmblood stallion in North Idaho (he stands at Kruger Ranch in Rathdrum) that gets bred to lots of paints - He is huge - 17-2 hands, jet black with chrome. His babies are really nice. Jodi

#728337 - 03/08/02 09:25 PM Re: Hobbies
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

in general, bitches come into heat every six months, though individuals do vary in this.
dog gestation is 63 days, give or take, so you can extrapolate from her whelping date when she was last in heat.

ask your vet to be sure, but you can probably spay your new friend as soon as the pups have gone to their new homes (which should not be any sooner than when they are six weeks old, and seven or eight weeks old is even better).

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#728338 - 03/08/02 10:46 PM Re: Hobbies
Brendan Online   content

Loc: McAllen, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by T2:
Ich studierte Deutsch and die Universitaet, aber habe ich fast alles vergessen.

[/b]

Prima! Es gibt viele Leute heir, die deutsch sprechen!

Hast du deutsch studiert oder nur gelernt?

#728339 - 03/09/02 01:06 AM Re: Hobbies
Eldon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pique
Thanks the info. I knew the gestation period; and when you said every 6 months, it all came back to me. Yes, I will spay her as soon as the puppies are weaned. She's a neat dog and great mother. The puppies are now just 4 weeks old. I gave them some baked chicken tonight. They sounded like this rowdy bunch of tuffys. \:\) I just don't know how ANYONE can drop a dog off in the country. I think it happens more than anyone realizes. BTW, what breed is your LARGE dog?

Jodi,
I'm breeding to The Two Timing Kid, he's a quarter in Alabama.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (AZ_Astro, Abby Pianoman, ajames, ando, Allard, 42 invisible), 1512 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155783 Topics
2287400 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha G2, $6195. Is Appraisal for Real?
by Paul678
07/11/14 08:51 AM
OT - Going Hiking
by Sam S
07/11/14 06:45 AM
Used import
by Cheeky
07/11/14 04:24 AM
Emergency help!
by Parks
07/10/14 11:36 PM
Pain in my lower back, help!!
by rov
07/10/14 10:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission