2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#728777 02/28/02 12:56 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pique -

If you want a very easy dessert, try this one. You can get the ingredients from the grocery store. It's a very sweet fruit salad.

8 oz cream cheese
1 can condensened milk

Combine these in a blender, blend until you get a lovely syrup.

2 big cans of fruit "coquetail" (ruddy Word Police!)
1 can tropical fruit salad
1 or 2 apples, peeled, cored, diced
flaked coconut (optional)
chopped nuts (optional)

Drain all the fruit salads well, then place in a bowl. Place the apples in the bowl as well as the coconut and the nuts. Pour syrup over the fruits and nuts. Fold gently and well. Refrigerate for a couple of hours. Eat and enjoy.

You may also add fresh grapes and bananas to this, if you wish. This is my "Americanized" version of a Filipino favourite. Hope you like it.

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: ChemicalGrl ]

Regards,
Lyn F.
#728778 02/28/02 02:04 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Pique,
you have morels and a Grotrian???? Hmm, I may have to convince my husband it is finally time to see Montana!

penny

#728779 02/28/02 03:46 PM
F
Fritz Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Pique, are you in Montana?

I am considering coming there to backpack with some friends this summer. Drooling over the possibility, in fact! (Though it will probably not happen. frown )

That would be SW MT, around Red Lodge, that's the only town I remember.

#728780 02/28/02 04:09 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
We hiked in an absolutely marvelous place in Montana two summers ago. Its called Jewel Basin, it's just up above Flathead lake. Alpine lakes, fabulous wild flowers, incredible views, Lots-o-grizzlies (so you have to be careful) but many wonderful hikes. Also, the area around West Glacier is lovely. It's not the entrance that most people use to the park, so its slightly less crowded. There is a little town on the way called Polebridge - just a couple of buildings, really - but they have super baked goods. Jodi

#728781 02/28/02 04:34 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
ha-ha! any chance this turn in the thread could inspire a northern rockies piano party?

a grotrian, morels, and world-class hiking readily at hand. five rivers and wilderness areas right out the door.

jodi, do you want to do it before you move to the PNW, or after you get homesick for the rockies and want to come back? <g>

fritz, i'm a five-hour drive west of red lodge. and jewel basin is another two or three hours further north. polebridge is five hours north of here. if you get to red lodge, make sure you go hiking in the absaroka-beartooths. don't miss the lamar valley in yellowstone to see the wolves.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
#728782 02/28/02 04:58 PM
F
Fritz Offline OP
OP Offline
F
pique, this is the itinerary as it has been laid out. (I would love to take a few extra days for other exploration but probably can't.)
----------

Day 1 (Sunday?)-
Meet in Red Lodge, MT. Shuttle vehicles to East Rosebud, and head 60 miles over to Cooke City via the Beartooth Scenic Highway with two 11,000 feet summits. View alpine glacial geology and wild flowers. Look for mountain goats, marmots, picas and moose. This drive over the top is really worth it. There are several switch-backs on the way up and the scenery is awesome.There are places where you can look straight down nearly 3,000 feet!

Cooke City- Historic mining town and gateway to Yellowstone National Park. Good restaurants, bars and a few tourista shops. Must stops: Cooke City Bike and Espresso Shack and the Range Rider Bar in Silver Gate. Barbeque and spend the night at the Aero Cabin, 7,600 feet above sea level. Cabin sleeps 8 or so, but has unlimited camping and deck space.

Day 2- Meet at the Chief Joseph Trailhead. (5 miles from cabin) Head up the trail about 6-7 miles to Ouzel or Bald Knob Lakes near timberline. Good goat-viewing area and a couple good fly fishing lakes. The best places to camp are usually at or above the timber line where you get into the bare rock or tundra; better vistas, fewer bugs, no bears!

Day 3- Ouzel Lake to Fossil Lake (drainage divide on top of the Beartooths) or Dewey Lake. Fossil is open, 10,000 feet, tundra. Dewey is back down in the trees. Pass several scenic waterfalls on the way down. Fish, sleep, pop blisters, etc. About another 6-7 mile day.

Day 4- Press on to Rainbow Lake or Lake at Falls. Rainbow Lake can become a little crowded, but not bad. Lake at Falls is scenic, but has fewer camp sites. Whatever! Another 6-7 mile day.

Day 5- Cruise out, downhill, about 8 miles to the East Rosebud Lake Campground at Alpine. Regroup in Red Lodge ( home of the Crazy Creek Chair). Lot's of places to stay, from the Super 8 to the historic Pollard Hotel (my fav) downtown. Must see attractions: Snow Creek Saloon, the Snag Bar, Bogarts Pizza, Bull Moose Bistro, Sylvan Peak (gear shop).

#728783 02/28/02 08:12 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Fritz,
i take it from the detail with which your itinerary has been laid out that you have been to these places before (?) if so, i guess you already know that if you arrive on day one from pennsylvania you will not have enough time to do everything you scheduled for day one. it will take you an entire day (at least) just to get from home to red lodge.

i also wonder about the advisability of heading straight up to high elevations without giving your body a little bit of time to acclimate. you may not have the energy to do all you've planned for the first few days, and you could risk altitude sickness. i'd take it a little easier--a day to get to red lodge, a full day to hang out at higher elevation at cooke city, or doing a drive around the western end of yellowstone, and *then* think about tackling your killer hike.

i haven't been to the specific places you're going to hike to in the absorakas, but it sounds great.

Originally posted by Fritz:
fewer bugs, no bears!

ahem! there is no place in this part of the state, anywhere, where there are no bears and fewer bugs. in fact, depending on the time of year, there can be more mosquitoes at high elevations than at low ones. bring bug dope and a big cannister of bear spray (i'm sure you can buy it in cooke city--it won't get through airport security). and no, you do not use bear repellant by spraying it on yourself! better yet, get a good forest service or national park handout on how to conduct yourself safely in bear country.

you should definitely also give yourself a spare day in the backcountry, one where you have no plans to move camp, but just hang out. you may need that extra day if things don't go as planned (like torrential rain, lightning storms, or getting lost).

i love the pollard, too! had a great thanksgiving dinner and weekend there once. what month do you think you'll be headed there?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

#728784 02/28/02 08:41 PM
F
Fritz Offline OP
OP Offline
F
That itinerary was put together by a friend who lives in MT and has been to those places. I'd arrive the day before his "Day 1."

There is an assumption that all participants are in pretty good physical condition, no beginning backpackers. Right now there are about 12 of us, coming from FL, TN, PA, CA, all over the place.

This is planned for July 14-20 approx. (I don't have a calendar in front of me.)

Thanks for the feedback! Wanna join us? smile

#728785 02/28/02 11:37 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This is the Bean pot I mentioned a few days ago. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients. It's very easy. I didn't like the potato topping so whenever I make it now, I leave the potatoes out. This is a great pot-luck dish and is also versatile. If you prefer one type of bean over another, it's easy to substitute.

Sweet and Sour Mixed Bean Hot Pot
(From "The Best-Ever Vegetarian Cook Book" by Nicola Graimes)

An appetizing mixture of beans and vegetables in a tasty sweet and sour sauce, topped with potato.

(It works just as well with adjustments indicated by my notes.)

INGREDIENTS
1 pound unpeeled potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons (3/8 stick) butter
1/3 cup whole wheat flour (I use white flour and it works)
1 1/4 cups passata or tomato sauce
2/3 cup unsweetened apply juice
1/4 cup each of:
light brown sugar
ketchup
dry sherry
cider vinegar
light soy sauce
14-ounce can lima beans
14-ounce can flageolet beans (I use red kidney beans)
14-ounce can chickpeas
6 ounces grean beans, chopped and blanched ( I use a small canned sliced grean beans )
8 ounces shallots, sliced and blanced (I've used green onion)
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon each of:
fresh thyme and marjoram (I've used dried and adjusted accordingly)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
springs of fresh herbs to garnish

Preheat the over to 400. Thinly slice the potatoes and part-boil them for 4 minutes. Drain the potatoes thoroughly, toss them in the oil so they are lightly coated all over and set aside.

Place the butter, flour, passata, apple juice, sugar, ketchup, sherry, vinegar and soy sauce in a saucepan. Heat gently, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Simmer gently for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep warm while you add the beans.

Rinse and drain the lima beans, flageolet beans and chickpeas and add to the sauce with all the remaining ingredients except the herb garnish. Mix well.

Spoon the bean mixture into a casserole dish.

Arrange the potato slices over the top of the dish, overlapping them slightly and completely covering the bean mixture.

Cover the casserole with foil and bake for about 1 hour, until the potatoes are cooked and tender. Remove the foil for the last 20 minutes of the cooking time, to lightly brown the potatoes. Serve garnished with fresh herb sprigs.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
#728786 03/02/02 03:17 PM
N
N
I'm taking notes!

"Sweet and Sour Mixed Bean Hot Pot" sound delicious!!

Igoo- I have a variation on your tasty “Butterscotch Candies”.

Butterscotch (or Peanut Butter) Fudge

Put 12 oz. butterscotch chips ( OR Peanut Butter chips) in a small bowl.
Add one can SWEETENED condensed milk.
Microwave till the chips are soft.
Mix and spread in a buttered pan. Cool.

Very good, easy, and fool proof!

I love sharing recipes! My sister and I recently completed our second family recipe book. (Gifts to our extended families) The books are compilations of recipes that span 6 generations. Some are not commonly seen much any more such as Dandelion Wine and lye soap.

Thanks for the new ideas!!
smile

#728787 03/02/02 03:34 PM
S
S
OK, I have a problem. how do I print out new recipes without having to print the entire thread? I tried cut and paste, but the words are all over the map. Any suggestions? Great recipes everyone!

#728788 03/02/02 10:22 PM
N
N
Two methods come to mind to copy the recipes. The first would be to cut and paste each recipe individually. You'll have to reformat the recipes, but it will go fast, and be worth the effort. Or, you could catch each recipe with Screen Snapz or similar program. Put them all in a folder and you'll have the start of a nice collection. I started this years ago. Its been wonderfully convenient. smile

#728789 03/04/02 09:31 PM
T
T2 Offline
T
If you're into authentic Thai food check out "Cooking Thai Food in American Kitchens: Vol I". I have a friend in Thailand whose wife recommends it (She is a Thai restaurant critic.) It was written by Mulauee Pinsuvana, the wife of a Thai ambassador, living abroad. It was written in Thai for Thai expatriots yearning for an authentic taste of their homeland. Subsequently, it was translated into English with one page written in English and the opposite page in Thai. It makes some substitutions for ingredients that are hard to find in the west. Other than that it is wonderfully authentic.

Here are some useful URLs for Thai cooking online:
http://thaisdc.com/BksMpsPgs/Thai_CookBooks.html#anchor1042870
http://store.yahoo.com/evergreenseeds/practhacook.html
http://www.nectec.or.th/users/joy/SCTrecipes/
http://importfood.com/recipes.html
http://asiarecipe.com/larry/thaicurry.html
http://users.nova1.net/~thai4two/

T2

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: T2 ]

#728790 03/04/02 10:10 PM
B
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
B
What would you guys suggest for a poor college student who doesn't know how to cook well?

#728791 03/04/02 10:30 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
a meal contract with a dorm or at a restaurant. you can contract with some restaurants to provide you with a dinner every day that you pick up at a certain time. it can be less expensive than you might think! and keeps you eating at least one wholesome nourishing meal a day when you are preoccupied by other things.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

#728792 03/05/02 03:27 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Chemicalgirl:

Thank you very much for the link!!

My wife is Philippina and I LOVE vegetarian!

Perfect combination!!

#728793 03/05/02 01:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Norbert -

You're welcome. As I said, I haven't given any updates to this page for, oh, around 4 years. Maybe once the paper monster reduces somewhat, I'll get experimenting again.

Originally posted by Norbert:

My wife is Philippina and I LOVE vegetarian!

Cool. It's a bit strange, thinking of Filipino vegetarian foods, especially with all the meat in the cuisine. Whereabouts in the Phils. is your wife from? Ask her if she has ever eaten "Laksa." It's a dish native to Bicol and can be made very hot and spicy if desired. That's a dish I want to experiment with next; it's generally made with pork, but I'm sure it can be made into a vegan dish, with a bit of imagination.

Regards,
Lyn F.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission