Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#737726 - 02/04/04 10:55 PM Zulu
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
I saw the last half of the coolest movie last night (Zulu - 1964, Stanley Baker, Michael Caine). It was amazing. (if not a bit depressing) My favorite part was the singing/percussion - that the Zulu warriers did as they were heading into battle (think Paul Simon/Graceland) At one point, one of the British soldiers starts singing like an Irish Tenor, and then the rest of the soldiers join in, and you've got the Zulu war song with all these percussion sounds superimposed on the men's choir singing. I with it came on a CD, it was beautiful. Have any of you seen this movie?

\:\) Jodi

Piano & Music Accessories
#737727 - 02/04/04 11:08 PM Re: Zulu
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
Yes, I saw this movie a couple of times over the holidays on AMC. The war chant with the rhythmic foot stomping and shield banging gives quite an impression. It is most effective, I suspect, when there are about three thousand of them. ;\)

Great movie.

#737728 - 02/04/04 11:28 PM Re: Zulu
Tom--K Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Snake eyes

#737729 - 02/04/04 11:32 PM Re: Zulu
Tom--K Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I love the mov1e.

I first saw it when I was a child and have alway loved the movie. Maybe it was the bare breasts of black women that the movie started out with that intrested me (where have I seen something like that lately?)

One of the best ever made.

#737730 - 02/04/04 11:39 PM Re: Zulu
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
The Zulus could have probably made even more of an impression with some crotch grabbing to go along with that war chant.

#737731 - 02/04/04 11:48 PM Re: Zulu
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Yes a great movie. You might have to go back and listen carefully to hear this, or perhaps its only on the Platinum-IV Extra Special Director's Cut Edition that I have.

As the 35,000 Zulu warriors are surging forward like a tidal wave toward the ragtag band of 150 embattled British soldiers awaiting their fate (hey its FUN to write drivel like this) you can hear a spin-chilling hope-dashing spirit-sapping loon-like cry rising above them like an ominous audible fog:

Ha-Ha Zu Lose

\:D

#737732 - 02/05/04 01:44 AM Re: Zulu
pianoseed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: here
A fine tribute to the British Empire and Manifest Destiny. Cherrio, pip pip, and all that rot!

#737733 - 02/05/04 03:56 AM Re: Zulu
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi Jodi,

We seem to enjoy crossing swords but not this time! Delighted to share your enjoyment of the film "Zulu".

You were knocked over by the cultural contrasts of bravado-singing of the opposing forces. Some 100 professional solders with guns and ammo against a horde of 4000 black warriors armed with assagais and shields.

The singing reminds me of the comfort a schoolboy finds in whistling while taking a shortcut through a graveyard. Those centuriors knew that they were going to die but miraculously beat the odds. Stoic bravery earned an unheard of 11 Victoria Crosses. But bear in mind that the Zulus
were equally aware that they were going to be slaughtered en masse by the shite mans' guns. The
warriors had the unenviable choice of obeying the Chief's battle plan as brave cannon-fodder in the front line of battle or face later tribal execution for the slightest show of cowardice.

But on the lighter side - the image that really sticks in my mind - is that of golden-haired Cockney newcomer - now Sir Michael Caine (what an actor!) - imperiously coming into the picture astride his horse - red-lined cape neatly draped over the rear of his mount - and spouting the posh upper-crust lingo of Queen Victoria's military top brass - " I say old chap and all that rot". So different from the East-end dropping of "h's" when playing the role of a jewel thief - "that you 'Arry?"

One confused submission has managed to add a fanciful extra 31,000 to the actual warrior count of 4,000 ( read off the video cover) to set up a playful but tastless banter. Like giggling over September 11 ... not on!

#737734 - 02/05/04 09:09 AM Re: Zulu
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
The latest movie to be released on video with Michael Caine in it is called "Secondhand Lions". It also has Robert Duvall in it, and that little funny looking kid who starred in the thriller (can't remember the title) where he said "I see dead people". I don't watch many movies, but when the movie came into inventory at the video store I took it home and watched it 3 times in a row. Excellent movie.

#737735 - 02/05/04 09:21 AM Re: Zulu
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
My husband has been raving about "Secondhand Lions" as well. I think it comes out in video (at least to our local Blockbuster) this week.

Haley Joel Osment is the kid. Why do I remember this but can't remember my computer passwords??

Maybe I should change my pw's to Haley Joel Osment. Hmmm...

Nina

#737736 - 02/05/04 09:40 AM Re: Zulu
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
I saw it in the theater on my first date ever. I was 13. It was a forced deal -- my mother and the guy's mother (I think he was 15) were good friends and kept trying to push us at each other. Didn't work. That date was a disaster. But the movie was great -- and still is.

#737737 - 02/05/04 09:51 AM Re: Zulu
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by btb:
But bear in mind that the Zulus were equally aware that they were going to be slaughtered en masse by the shite mans' guns.[/b]
Now there's a Freudian typo if ever there was one! :p

#737738 - 02/05/04 10:14 AM Re: Zulu
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Topeka Bob....(RKVS1).......

Just to let you know your constant stream of wry witticisms, word play, puns and jokes does not go unnoticed.. I guess by now I'm a bit jaded; my eyebrow rises as my eyes roll. Sometimes tho, I guffaw.... surprized by the Panama Canal in a dentistry thread, or the thought of warriors shouting "Ha Ha Zu Lose".

Where do you come from?

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#737739 - 02/05/04 10:18 AM Re: Zulu
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Zulu is one of my all time favourite movies. I saw it as a kid and still watch it from time to time. There was a follow up movie done in the 1980's starring Peter O'Toole called Zulu Dawn. Not quitew as good as its predecessor but nevertheless very well done and worth watching. It describes the events leading to the Zulu War and examines the Battle of Islandawana that occurred the day before Rorke's Drift. Islandawana was the British equivalent to Custer's Last Stand.

#737740 - 02/05/04 11:38 AM Re: Zulu
Tom--K Offline
5000 Post Club Member

"Oh, well... I suppose there are such things as gifted amateurs."

#737741 - 02/06/04 09:18 AM Re: Zulu
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Zulu is one of my alltime favorite movies, jodi!

#737742 - 02/07/04 12:14 AM Re: Zulu
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
One of the things I did during my time in the U.S. ArmyVietnam War was to serve as usher, then post theater projectionist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Zulu was the first movie I ever ushed. I thought it was good, but have run into two people since then who thought it was the greatest movie ever made. (One of those people, a cousin of mine now in her 80s, may have been under the influence of chemical stimulants when she was watching the film. The other would always say, whenever the film was mentioned, "Button your tunic, you slovenly soldjah!")

Brings back old times.

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (ando, bennevis, 36251, Beemer, beeboss, 20 invisible), 1109 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325583 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission