Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#74045 - 07/01/05 04:24 AM Need help quick!
jadefan Offline

Loc: minnesota
I made a kind of hasty decision to purchase a beautiful mahogany 150" upright and I had the purchase run through on my visa, so it's paid in full, but I am awaiting delivery next week. I purchased it on june 28th. I was exploring other brands and hadn't yet really decided if this was "the one" when I signed on the dotted line. You may wonder why I'd do that and I'll tell you: I'd done a lot of research (reading only, was just starting field research) and felt that although this piano costed exactly $1,600 more than I wanted to pay, I had lots of confidence in it based on the fine book. (It's a Tier 2 European brand). It sounded pretty good but did not give me "the chills" while listening to it played as the other contender had. The other contender (the chiils one) would be around $2100 cheaper in black ebony. I would be happy to own either piano. I preferred the tone, touch, and price of the black ebony and was never encouraged to buy before the end of the fiscal year in order to keep a certain price.

Contrarily, my salesperson really worked hard to try to keep convincing me that this piano was wonderful. I knew it was wonderful and knew I was receiving a fair deal on the price and extra tunings and installed damp chaser, and whenver I was in the presence of the salesperson and the piano, I felt good about the purchase and like everything was okay. But...whenver I got home and tried to fall asleep my stomach would start hurting and my brain would start going and I'd wonder what in the world I should do. Now I still can't sleep at night and feel sick about this. I feel like I still want to explore my options and want to start over. I feel bad because I feel like I've spent so much of the salesperson's time (I don't think I ever took them away from any other business, however.) I feel a lot of feelings that are not good right now and don't know what to do. If this piano ended up in my home I would say, it's over now and that's a relief. I'd say wow that's a beautiful piano! I'd think, hm, I wonder why I didn't wait till I was sure. And then I'd say, well, there's worse problems in the world so deal with it. I think that's how I'd feel.
You may wonder why I "pulled the trigger" if I had these misgivings. I ask myself the same thing. I was afraid of losing the "deal" on this piano because the salesperson told me that if I bought it "today" I would get such and such price. He really wanted to sell by the end of june which was the end of the fiscal year. I should have left right there and then, but I didn't, so have I cooked my own goose, or can I back out. If I do, I'll feel bad for the salesguy. If I don't, I fear I'll never sleep well again. Can I still back out? Would the dealer lose money since it was a paid in full transaction on my visa?

One more quick question this piano's serial number indicated it was manufacted in Europe sometime in 2001. The right pedal is made out of solid brass and is discolored (a dull darker tone)from the salt on people's shoes who've been in to see it. Is this something I need to adress before the sale?

All opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and help with this question.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#74046 - 07/01/05 04:56 AM Re: Need help quick!
JIMBOB Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
If you preferred the touch tone and price of the black ebony then call the dealer up and tell them you can not afford the higher price one changed your mind. Paying $1600 more than your budget is what is making you sick. You usually have a few days to cool off after a big purchase and cancel the deal but you need to check with your VISA issuer first about options. Don't worry about the salesperson. If you change your mind they get less money out of the deal but if you cancel the whole deal they (dealer and salesperson) get nothing. You should use the $1600 difference to get a dampp chaser installed by a tech after the sale. It should only cost you a few hundred (less than $400 is possible) depending on the market . Keep in mind that with a new piano you need to have several tunings in the first year.

Calm down and read through Piano Formu archives. You are not the first piano buyer to have buyers remorse. One more question - is the piano being sold as new ? If it was made in 1991 and the right pedal is discolored it sounds like it is/was a floor model. If it is really used and was a trade in and it is being sold as new that is a real problem and most likely good grounds to walk away
Dampp-Chaser System Installer
Certified Pianomation Installer

#74047 - 07/01/05 05:59 AM Re: Need help quick!
jadefan Offline

Just a clarification--the cheaper black ebony and the more expensive mahogany upright are at two differnt dealers. Also, I negotiated dampchasers installed as part of the price of each.

#74048 - 07/01/05 06:11 AM Re: Need help quick!
palley Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Binghamton, New York
Same answer. Back out and get the one you want that's in your budget. All this stuff about "end of year" is most likely standard sales technique. There's a new quota evey month.

Don't worry about the salesman's feelings. He's not so worried about yours. (Besides you get to make the other guy happy now!) ;\)

#74049 - 07/01/05 12:14 PM Re: Need help quick!
jadefan Offline

Just to keep everyone updated...I canceled delivery and cancelled the sale and think I might actually get a good night's sleep tonight. Big thanks to all who contribitued to or followed this thread. This forum is GREAT!
Jadefan

#74050 - 07/01/05 02:15 PM Re: Need help quick!
feelingroovy Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I'm glad you did. I would have canceled as well. A piano that you absolutely love, feels right, that will be cherished for many years is far more important than a salesman's disappointment. Even though it's unfortunate, I'm sure it's not foreign to them and I wouldn't feel badly. I'm glad you're now happy with your decision!! Get your good night's sleep!! Enjoy your beautiful piano!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, Almaviva, angga888, 36 invisible), 1439 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251499 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission