Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
117 registered (AndyP, Anne H, Alux, ando, 36251, 26 invisible), 1495 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#740951 - 09/13/03 01:34 PM "Heaven Eyes"
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
My daughter is reading this book. I read it last night and this morning. - it was excellent. Do any of the rest of you read books your kids read? (do I remember that we talked about this already?)

\:\) Jodi

Piano & Music Accessories
#740952 - 09/14/03 05:36 PM Re: "Heaven Eyes"
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Any adult will enjoy any book - or at least any of the several that I've read while Eleven was reading them - written by award-winning author Margaret Peterson Haddix. Her books are extremely well written, and deal with very complex and thought-provoking issues. I just can't say enough about her books; they're fantastic!

Not that it matters to the quality of her books, but I will add that she's also a very nice person with a wonderful family. She attends our church, and is actually Eleven's Sunday school teacher this year.

#740953 - 09/17/03 08:18 AM Re: "Heaven Eyes"
Samejame Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NL, Canada
My wife could not read Robert Munsch's "Love You Forever" without bawling her eyes out.

I loved reading Dr. Seuss books to them when they were small, and I recall my oldest son's favourite was Janel Cannon's "Stellaluna".

Now that they are all much older, now, instead of reading to them, I enjoy re-reading classic novels that they are studying in Literature when they are finished with them.

Jamie

#740954 - 09/17/03 08:57 AM Re: "Heaven Eyes"
Nanna Offline

Loc: Virginia
I read many of the books my children were reading and continue now to exchange "good book" ideas with them. They got me to read JRR Tolkien. Can't remember a lot of titles now, but I liked most of their books (A Wrinkle In Time, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Little Women, Choose Your Own Adventure, James and the Giant Peach, Encyclopedia Brown, etc). Many were books I had read as a child and reread with them. I had a little problem with the "Sweet Valley High" series and my son went through an Anne Rice phase. That generated some good discussions about good and evil. Recently, we have all read the Harry Potter books. It's interesting to discuss these books with the children of friends, too. I miss having kids around the house \:\(

#740955 - 09/17/03 12:25 PM Re: "Heaven Eyes"
jkeene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Florida
Would that I had the time to keep with them! My wife gets to read more of their books than I do, but we somehow manage to keep up. Narnia was good to reread, and my wife enjoys the Harry Potter series. The Goosebumps series is getting a bit old, though. Having skimmed one, there didn't seem to be much different in the rest of them.

The David Almond and Margaret Peterson Haddix books sound like some good works to steer them towards next. Our son's ten, our daughter is eight. Any content issues in those author's books for that age range? We try to do some advance reading before handing over a book with significant content, and have sometimes deferred a book for a year or so.

Thanks,
Jeff

#740956 - 09/17/03 12:43 PM Re: "Heaven Eyes"
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
My daugther is 12, and read "Heaven Eyes". It may be a little much for the younger kids. I couldn't put it down, and neither could my daughter, but it might be depressing to the wrong child. (the main character's mother died when she was 10) It's a kids story, with the feel of a fantasy/adventure but I thought it had a lot of deeper meanings that maybe only an adult would understand, or think about. It's not violent, but it does have some scary mysterious parts - it's set sometime in England - my daughter seemed to think it was present day, but I felt like it was sometime in the future, perhaps after a war. It's about some children in an orphanage in England, with a well meaning but not without her own problems caretaker. Three of the kids "escape" down the river on a raft to a strange place filled with run down buildings, and canned food, and a couple of strange people - one of them an angel -like girl called heaven eyes. There are "treasures" buried in the mud flats (including a mummified body of someone from long ago) - it was bizarre and fascinating at the same time. It didn't take me long to get through it - a few hours maybe. I did come across some reviews on Amazon - several people liked it, one person (who had been a foster child when she was younger) hated it. I would be really interested in hearing what any other parent here thinks about this book.

\:\) Jodi

#740957 - 09/17/03 04:29 PM Re: "Heaven Eyes"
jkeene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jodi,

Thanks for the feedback. I do read the Amazon reviews, but without further context it's sometimes difficult to evaluate someone else's judgement. PianoWorld provides so many opportunities for that \:\)

I'll probably include it in my next book order, read it, and possibly hold it until age eleven comes by.

Jeff

#740958 - 09/17/03 05:40 PM Re: "Heaven Eyes"
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
jkeene, Margaret Haddix's books would be good for your older child. The ones I've read wouldn't seem to be a good match for an eight year old, but she has written quite a few books that I haven't read, either.

Instead of giving you a long book report on the books I've read, look at the Amazon synopses. They're all good; many deal with issues that are initially unsettling but deal with children's thoughts and emotions while dealing with difficult situations. The books are written in a very "adult" manner, not talking down to the kids at all. Some titles I've read include "Among the Hidden," "Among the Betrayed," and "Among the Barons," (an ongoing series), and "Running Out of Time." There are quite a few others, but start there and search under her name; you'll find a real treasure of preteen-teen reading that parents will be interested in reading too. In all honesty, Eleven started telling me about the first MPH book that she read, "well Dad, there's this society where the government will only allow two children per family, and the government takes additional children away and kills them, but there are many secret, hidden additional children who survive, and..." I thought to myself, "I think I'd better read this to see if this is what I really want my (then) ten year old to be reading." I started reading, and kept reading until the book was finished. It was fascinating, and I never miss a chance to recommend her books to kids of this age.

#740959 - 09/17/03 08:47 PM Re: "Heaven Eyes"
jkeene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwain Lee:
I thought to myself, "I think I'd better read this to see if this is what I really want my (then) ten year old to be reading." I started reading, and kept reading until the book was finished. It was fascinating, and I never miss a chance to recommend her books to kids of this age. [/b]
Dwain,

Thanks, I like your thought process there. I'll add one of hers to my order and read it too. I did check the Amazon summary, glad to know it's an accurate representation.

Jeff

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Getting better
by Kekewak
Today at 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
Today at 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
Today at 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Today at 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77390 Members
42 Forums
160046 Topics
2350301 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission