2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jolly Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
It could easily describe the American voter:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jeffjacoby/jj20041025.shtml

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
nice link, Jolly, thanks for passing it along.

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Nothing new. I was amazed when traveling outside of the US at how well-versed others were in the political activities outside their own country.

I don't know why it is such a US characteristic, but it certainly is.

NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
At what age you your think someone should start to take an active interest in political affairs?

I'm 16 and I haven't been much into politics until just recently. I'd like to be a bit more informed than my idiot friends who base all their views on what they see on humor web-sites, trying to sound intelligent by talking about how much of a dumb*** Bush is because they saw a photoshopped picture of him holding a book upside down. Then they watch Fahrenheit 9/11 and think they're the world's authority on political issues because they say with an air of pseudo-sophistication, "Bush is a traitor and he shouldn't be President because he's an idiot lol".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
NAK... I don't know if there's a specific age, but my guess is that it's whenever an individual has the ability to dive deeper into an idea than what they get in a quick sound bite or news clip.

At some point, and you may be there (I'm using "you" generically), you need to become a skeptical, critical thinker. Do your own research. Understand that no one is "unbiased," so discover the biases of the people you are listening to or reading. You may or may not agree with their viewpoints, but you will be more informed.

To me, the key is when you are old enough to understand that being informed is more than reciting facts, but also taking into account bias, your own experience and a good dose of common sense, and ultimately making up your own mind.

Of course, knowing who the Speaker of the House is would help. wink

J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
NAK,
I don't think you're ever too young to become interested in political affairs/current events. My only suggestion would be to keep an open mind. Listen to all sides. And practice tolerance and respect. And remember that the both right and left fanatics are always spinning so beware. So far, from what I see of your posts on this forum, it seems you're doing all the right things. It's wonderful you're taking such an active interest in these things. Be a voice and listen to other voices.

16? I had the impression you were older. Maybe someday you can move to the US! That would be good IMHO we could use a young citizen such as you.

Originally posted by NAK:
Then they watch Fahrenheit 9/11 and think they're the world's authority on political issues because they say with an air of pseudo-sophistication, "Bush is a traitor and he shouldn't be President..."
It's not limited to 16 year-olds. Just today a couple of guys, in their late 40's or early 50's, were outside my office and one was telling the other about how bad Bush was because of the things in F 9/11. The thing is he said stuff that never even appeared in the film. Never mind that the film was filled with deceptions and outright lies. The film is a piece of propaganda that seems to leave many viewers with impressions of things that were never asserted. I was sorely tempted to have a "discussion" with this fellow, but I am management and he is union and that might be misconstrued. But I haven't closed the door on this opportunity yet.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Can you give me some sources that I can show my friends so they will stop trying to slam Bush for what they saw in F 9/11?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I haven't seen it yet, but there is a movie called "Fahrenhype 9/11" that breaks the movie down, detail by detail and also intervews several people (the Oregon state trooper, a soldier, a family member, I believe) who felt completely manipulated and said they had no business being part of that movie.

penny

NAK

The first thing I can refer you to are my reviews here, which I will reference below. They offer my initial impressions along with a few afterthoughts and limited research on some things I questioned. Subsequent to those being posted I have learned a lot more about Moore's lies, which I might get around to posting about soon. In the meantime:

Fahrenheit 9/11, my review - Part I
Fahrenheit 9/11, my review - Part II

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Gryph. Maybe now I can get my friends to shut up.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So much for my "do your own research, make up your own mind.." advice... :rolleyes:

NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nina, when it comes to facts and figures, you don't need to make up your own mind, you just agree with the truth. As for research, I'm sure I could have found the same information elsewhere, but why do that when I can get it faster by asking here.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gryphon:
I was sorely tempted to have a "discussion" with this fellow, but I am management and he is union and that might be misconstrued. But I haven't closed the door on this opportunity yet.
Gryphon,

very dangerous.

jf

"Make the pie higher." GWB
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by NAK:
Nina, when it comes to facts and figures, you don't need to make up your own mind, you just agree with the truth. As for research, I'm sure I could have found the same information elsewhere, but why do that when I can get it faster by asking here.
Sorry, you don't get it. Thanks for playing.

NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You're right, I don't get it. Now for the next contestant on "Get Patronized by Nina"! Woohoo! thumb

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission