2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kenny Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K
Anyone know how to rent a car cheaply for a month or two in the Los Angeles area?

My friend got in a car accident, not his fault, and got a check from the insurance company for another car.
His woman-friend is buying a new car in a month or two and she has offered to sell her old car to my friend for a really killer price.

My friend needs a car now, but wants to wait to buy this particular car at a great price.
Public trasportation is not an option as he needs to drive around for his job.

Best car rental rate found so far is $660 a month unlimited mileage.
Yuck!

Any ideas?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
the last time i needed to rent a car for months at a time in los angeles was more than ten years ago, and of course prices were a lot less then than what you quoted.

i would try going online first, as i've found the best short-term rental rates are online.

if that doesn't yield satisfaction, try the local rent-a-wreck or similar deep discount renter and work out a deal with them. your friend should be able to talk himself into a volume discount for the long time period he will have the car.

if memory serves, they used to have monthly lease rates that were much more reasonable than the daily and weekly ones. also if he has a AAA membership, this could pay for the dues. AAA discounts are pretty standard for car rentals.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kenny,

National car rental caters to the local renters with many non-airport locations. They have arrangements with many dealers as well as body shops and repair facilities. I'd check with them. They may understand the need for a longer term rental and hence offer better deals. Or not?

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...or Enterprise.

And there's always those "ugly duckling" rentals which rent older, rougher cars than the big boys but at lower rates.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You know, I may have been thinking Enterprise when I said National. Now I'm not sure. Check them both I guess.

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kenny:

My friend got in a car accident, not his fault, and got a check from the insurance company for another car.
What you need is a $500 car. They are out there, and most of them (but not all) will make two months without a lot of trouble. You can junk it when you are through with it and get about $250 when you do.

I have had a bunch of them over the years, mostly either Big-O Detroit iron or super high mileage Japanese cars. A positive attitude, a can of STP and a used tire or two generally got me by.

They all had issues of course, but all were driveable. The '75 LTD wagon had no rear window -a fine car for the summer. The '62 Olds had a four speed automatic that was missing third gear. Took some finesse to drive it, but once I got used to it it was fine. The air even worked in that one. The ('78?) Toyota had three hundred and some thousand miles on it, but with thick enough oil in it, it even passed the smog test. My '63 Impala was a completely restored car - new engine and trans, new interior - a beautiful car until the dump truck hit it. No trunk space in that one, had to rig up some tail lights to get it home.

Make a deal involving the fact it must pass the smog check and run the plate through the DMV to make sure there are not 100 parking tickets on it.

Check vacant lots and in shopping centers on weekends. Recycler has a few of them every week as well.

It's not a car, it's an adventure!

smile

Defender of the Landfill Piano
K
kenny Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
K
Thanks all,
So far best is $499 at an Enterprise non-airport location.
BTW there are a million Enterprise locations all over LA, prices range from 400 to 750 for same thing. Never rent from an aiport location.

Will check rent a wreck and ugly duckling. . .
Thanks guys

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission