2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
#761393 11/11/03 08:06 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Posted by Comrad shantinik: The Internationale [variant words in square brackets]

Arise ye workers [starvelings] from your slumbers
Arise ye prisoners of want
For reason in revolt now thunders
And at last ends the age of cant.
Away with all your superstitions
Servile masses arise, arise
We'll change henceforth [forthwith] the old tradition [conditions]
And spurn the dust to win the prize.

So comrades, come rally
And the last fight let us face
The Internationale unites the human race.
So comrades, come rally
And the last fight let us face
The Internationale unites the human race.

No more deluded by reaction
On tyrants only we'll make war
The soldiers too will take strike action
They'll break ranks and fight no more
And if those cannibals keep trying
To sacrifice us to their pride
They soon shall hear the bullets flying
We'll shoot the generals on our own side.

No saviour from on high delivers
No faith have we in prince or peer
Our own right hand the chains must shiver
Chains of hatred, greed and fear
E'er the thieves will out with their booty [give up their booty]
And give to all a happier lot.
Each [those] at the forge must do their duty
And we'll strike while the iron is hot.
From every "the" and "ye" to every phrase and line to every stanza: a lie.

#761394 11/11/03 08:09 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by shantinik:
These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense.
If I reasoned the way you just did, I'd come to the conclusion that women couldn't own guns.

#761395 11/11/03 08:09 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Shantinik: True. But Miller is pretty clear about the context for individual ownership. And that view has been well-established within the federal courts for more than 60 years:

"In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment or that its use could contribute to the common defense. Aymette v. State, 2 Humphreys (Tenn.) 154, 158.

The Constitution as originally adopted granted to the Congress power -- "To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions; To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress." With obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted and applied with that end in view.

The Militia which the States were expected to maintain and train is set in contrast with Troops which they were forbidden to keep without the consent of Congress. The sentiment of the time strongly disfavored standing armies; the common view was that adequate defense of country and laws could be secured through the Militia -- civilians primarily, soldiers on occasion.

The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. "A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline." And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time. [Citing further sources, e.g., the Virginia Act of October 1785 providing for a Militia of "all free male persons between the ages of eighteen and fifty years," with certain exceptions.]"
That's all very nice but there is nothing in this language that precludes an individual from using his constitutionally protected ownership of firearms for the purposes of self-defense. Nor is there any such language in the Costitution which, in any case, would be disinterested in the right to self-defense per se, it being pretty well understood that a person should have such a right free of interference from the government. That is the way it must be at least until the government decides to take on the responsibility for our personal security, which it has not and, until a police state is established, can not.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
#761396 11/11/03 08:16 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
You are correct that nothing in the Constitution precludes anyone from using surplus nuclear weapons against their neighbor's cat. Only that the Constitution doesn't protect this person against the government outlawing their use (for other than militia-related perhaps, or even their possession (for other than militia-related purposes), in the context of the Second Amendment. The NRA attempted to try this one in the Supreme Court in 1981, with both Burger and Rehnquist holding against them, and they haven't dared go near the Court since.

Burger's opinions on the issue are already well-known:

http://www.guncite.com/burger.html

As Burger notes, the federal government has no more need to grant the right to bear hunting rifles than it does to regulate the use of fishing tackle. But there is no federal Constitution reason why they couldn't take it away.

Some of those fishing lures, though, can be absolutely deadly in the wrong hands. cool

#761397 11/11/03 08:23 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
You are correct that nothing in the Constitution precludes anyone from using surplus nuclear weapons against their neighbor's cat.
Nor does it preclude me from using my hunting rifle to defend my home. If the government wants to try and make a law explicitly proscribing self-defense (the Constitution already will not allow them to proscribe gun ownership) they can just give it a try. wink

#761398 11/11/03 08:27 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
nothing in the Constitution precludes anyone from using surplus nuclear weapons against their neighbor's cat.
Well if any animal was more deserving...

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
#761399 11/11/03 08:52 PM
Originally posted by gryphon:
[b] nothing in the Constitution precludes anyone from using surplus nuclear weapons against their neighbor's cat.
Well if any animal was more deserving... [/b]
gryphon, on that one, I have to agree with you... laugh laugh laugh

Lock & Load! wink

#761400 11/11/03 08:58 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
nothing in the Constitution precludes anyone from using surplus nuclear weapons against their neighbor's cat.

I think the framers of the Constitution assumed that future generations would be able to apply common sense to their logic.

#761401 11/11/03 09:14 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Common sense??? If that was so plentiful, why would mass migration to the new world be so necessary - - let alone a new constitution?

#761402 11/11/03 10:14 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Who said it was plentiful?

It simply prevailed. wink

#761403 11/11/03 10:48 PM
Original intent.

You know, one can become so convuluted in their "intelligent" arguments, that cats suddenly begin to bark.

Face it, Shant, the Framers understood property rights, yes, but the right to self defense was considered God given, and not even within the provence of government. Self defense was a well accepted commodity long before the Magna Carta was even written.

In fact, the use of weapons was so prevalent during the 1700s, that firearms were routinely used to assuage breaches of honor. Not to mention sharp cold steel, if guns were eschewed by the challenged party.

Seems like we sometimes aren't near as civilized as we think we are. An armed society is most definitely a polite society.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#761404 11/12/03 12:00 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jolly:
...cats suddenly begin to bark.

Face it, Shant, the Framers understood property rights, yes, but the right to self defense was considered God given, and not even within the provence of government. Self defense was a well accepted commodity long before the Magna Carta was even written.

I once had a Maine Coon cat named Nelson who would fetch beer bottle caps as well as any Retiever.

C'mon Jolly you said it was all about private property and even I conceded the point. Why now switch to self defence- that's Larry's argument or excuse.

"The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music"~ Augustus McCrae
#761405 11/12/03 12:08 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I actually view gun ownership not merely as a Constitutional issue but as a basic human right. Property rights are, indeed, inextricably intertwined.

#761406 11/12/03 01:19 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I see, so property (i.e. guns and WMD) are in but universal health care for all is out because it is a commercial commodity that should be bought and sold.

Oops, don't tell me... health care is not on the agenda right now since we're talking guns and other weapons (let's be egalitarian about this; not every interest group or stakeholder uses guns as the preferred weapon of self defence- some may prefer knives or even WMD as Shantinik pointed out).

I realize it's a very serious issue so don't think I am poking fun. Good gracious, Larry wrote last evening how one municipal county (or whatever you call them) actually legislated that everyone had to have a handgun on the premises. I suggested a .454 Casull in that way not only the intruder would get taken out but so would my wall, my neighbours wall, my nosey neighbour and as Gryphon suggested, probably the neighbour's irksome cat.

But it's not about self defence it's all about private property. Next time I go to renew my house insurance I'll tell the bank "it's okay everything's covered, I have a policy and rider with Smith and Wesson."

#761407 11/12/03 01:24 AM
No, you have the right to provide for your own health care just as you have the right to provide for your own defense.

Tell me Renauda, if you are accosted, attacked, injured or even killed, can you or your surviving family (if there are any) sue the police for failure to protect you? Because you can't here in the colonies. It's already been in court. Someone called 911 when their home was being broken into, but they were dead by the time police arrived. The family sued but lost because the police are not obligated to protect you.

Wheels
#761408 11/12/03 01:28 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Renauda:
I see, so property (i.e. guns and WMD) are in but universal health care for all is out because it is a commercial commodity that should be bought and sold
I believe I could be forgiven for believing that you are poking fun but unless you are proposing universal government provision of firearms or even universal government provision of personal security (without the police state that would have to go along with it) then, yes, you would be correct.

#761409 11/12/03 01:48 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Gryphon:

No I cannot sue the police.

Nor do I feel that I need a gun to defend my home or my person when I am on the street alone. My wife also feels that way here in this country and "elsewhere" where perhaps packing a piece almost makes sense.

My home despite the surrounding "barbarianism" is quite safe.

I wish to keep it that way. There are enough, if not too many, weapons here that are solely designed to kill people. These are not for hunting game they are for hunting people.

I have many aboriginal friends who rely on hunting game to feed their families. Hunting in our country is their "right" 365 days per year on all crown land or private land with permission. I am not aboriginal and hunting is my privilege. The present gun laws threaten their right to hunt and I am therefore opposed to the present gun law. I could care less about my privilege.

#761410 11/12/03 01:54 AM
Well you're perfectly safe in Canada. Your homocide rate is only 4.1, but here it's 5.6! eek

Wheels
#761411 11/12/03 02:00 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Never felt safer. In fact, even the hockey stick has been retired to the garage.

#761412 11/12/03 08:01 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
At least part of the reason why we who live in areas without restrictive gun laws can feel safer is that criminals acually make reasoned judgments with regard to risk assessment. You may not even actually own a gun but they don't know that and that has an impact on their activity.

I realize that you have limited the weapons you would like to see banned to semi-automatics (you included automatics as well which I found puzzling given that they are already very difficult to own legally). These weapons are no more lethal than the ones you would allow so that puzzsles me as well. However, the best weapons for self-defense are precisely those that have been designed to kill people or, at least, are not intended for hunting. A 12 gauge pump or even a hand gun makes a far better home defense weapon than a bolt action hunting rifle. Also, concealed carry can have little impact on crime if one is restricted to hunting rifles. That is, of course, unless you are willing to allow revolvers which would seem somewhat inconsistent as well.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission