Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
148 registered (Achilleas, accordeur, anamnesis, 29 invisible), 1840 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#768620 - 12/02/04 12:30 AM Calling all you Catholics
Friday Offline

Loc: South Bay, CA
My daughter goes to a Catholic school. Monday they learned about Advent. Tuesday a note came home saying it would be "nice" if we applied what they learned at school at home.

Only problem is we played hooky on Monday and took her to Disneyland for her birthday. Also we (The Housebound and I) are bad Catholics. (Although to be fair, we were brought up to be just so-so Catholics). So, we don't know what Advent is. I tried looking it up, but what comes up is complicated; the grey matter can't take it in at 12 midnight. Only thing I gleaned was that it starts on the 2nd.

Please, is there anyone out there who can give a simple explanation on Advent and how we are supposed to celebrate it? I don't want my kid thinking that her parents are dorks.

Alright, I know, she probably thinks that already...

F.

Piano & Music Accessories
#768621 - 12/02/04 04:17 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
bachophile Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
According to present [1907] usage, Advent is a period beginning with the Sunday nearest to the feast of St. Andrew the Apostle (30 November) and embracing four Sundays. The first Sunday may be as early as 27 November, and then Advent has twenty-eight days, or as late as 3 December, giving the season only twenty-one days.

With Advent the ecclesiastical year begins in the Western churches. During this time the faithful are admonished

to prepare themselves worthily to celebrate the anniversary of the Lord's coming into the world as the incarnate God of love,
thus to make their souls fitting abodes for the Redeemer coming in Holy Communion and through grace, and
thereby to make themselves ready for His final coming as judge, at death and at the end of the world.
thats all from the catholic encyclopedia...

i love it, a jew from israel teaching about advent, what a riot...as the succesful advertising campaigbn of the NBA goes...i love this game!

#768622 - 12/02/04 07:29 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Aren't you supposed to get one of those calendar thingies that has pockets you fill with candy for each night?

Sorry, Friday, it looks like my advent knowledge is pretty skimpy.

bachophile... LOL! \:\)

#768623 - 12/02/04 07:35 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
Check out info about the Advent Wreath.. Many families do this at home with their children.. You'll need a wreath, 1 pink, and 3 purple candles. We do that on Sunday nites.

http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/adx/adwreath.html

http://www.domestic-church.com/CONTENT.DCC/19981101/SCRMNTL/advntwrth.htm

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#768624 - 12/02/04 07:37 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
I thought most Christian churches celebrated Advent.

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

#768625 - 12/02/04 07:37 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Here's a link that might be of help:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/FAMILY/ADVCUST.TXT

#768626 - 12/02/04 10:53 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
Oleander Offline

Loc: Chicagoland, IL, USA
I always though of Advent as the preparation for the birth of Jesus and Christmas. We would have an Advent Wreath with the three white candles and one purple/rose colored candle, which would be lit at evenig and burn through dinner. Each week another candle would be lit, so that at the last week, all four would burn. We had a little booklet from which prayers were read. I think the purple candle is for the third week, but I forget now.

The best was the Advent Calendar, which my aunt from Germany would send every year. The little numbered doors would have lovely German chocolates hidden behind them. We would get to open the door corresponding to the date each morning and enjoy that chocolate. \:\) Reminds me, I have to get my advent calendar out and fill it. My husband loves that chocolate.

#768627 - 12/02/04 11:09 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
TomFL Offline

Loc: SW Florida
from justme:
 Quote:
I thought most Christian churches celebrated Advent.
I read in this moring's paper that the correct PC term is now "recognize", not "celebrate"... sheesh... how bad is this getting... :rolleyes:

#768628 - 12/02/04 11:14 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
That's sad.

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

#768629 - 12/02/04 11:42 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by justme:
I thought most Christian churches celebrated Advent. [/b]
The Episcopal Church certainly does. I'd expect the Lutherans do as well.

#768630 - 12/02/04 10:08 PM Re: Calling all you Catholics
Friday Offline

Loc: South Bay, CA
Thanks for all the help everyone! Now I have to find purple candles...

F.

#768631 - 12/02/04 10:31 PM Re: Calling all you Catholics
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
OK, from one not very good Catholic to the rest of you, Advent is basically the four Sunday’s before Christmas and yes there is a wreath or candlestick with five places for candles and you light one for each Sunday that passes until on Christmas eve, you get to light them all. The Advent Calendar is a really nice thing, some are hand made, you fill them with chocolates (hard centers are best) and you should give one to each child who has decided to try and be a good little Catholic. We had a nephew who wasn’t really into getting anything out of the daily readings and meditations that go with it, all he wanted were the candies, so he broke open all the doors and ate everything in a matter of minutes (piggy!). Advent Calendars (and everything else nice) work far better with little girls. (I’m so glad I got to raise girls not boys ).

As for all the ceremony, etc. in Christendom, there are “high” churches and I guess you’d call them “low” churches. The former are distinguished by a set pattern of the service called a liturgy (this is a Greek word for a ceremonial series of dramatic actions usually performed to invoke a particular pagan deity and usually paid for by some rich patron). Hence one has “liturgical churches;” Catholic, Orthodox, Episcopal, Lutheran, some Methodists, some Presbyterians, and those who just have some hymn singing, an offering the sermon and out you go, oh and sometimes after everything there’s a bit of faith healing too, amazingly wonderful stuff.

I love Christianity’s variety. When I need a break from the everywhere always the sameness of Catholicism, oh it’s wonderful to be able to go anywhere at all and be able to follow the service, it’s nice to occasionally pop into a faith healer church, or a church that is so plain that it hardly counts as a church, plain belief is often times better than embroidered belief (as among the best Catholics). I genuinely suppose that were any of these sects to be absent, somehow the universal body of Christ would suffer for it.

Enjoy your Christmas holidays my fellow Christians, and I shall try not to make my many Jewish friends feel uncomfortable by taking part in many of their time honored customs at this time of year.

Many good tidings to all of you and may your hearts be merry as your minds are mild.

#768632 - 12/03/04 04:00 AM Re: Calling all you Catholics
JoeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern California
Warning: Wreaths and candles are a particularly dangerous mix. Be very aware of fire safety if you mix them. If a candle falls over or is allowed to burn too long it can quickly ignite the wreath with predictable consequences. Also, children may decide to light the candles themselves.

#768633 - 12/04/04 07:20 PM Re: Calling all you Catholics
HannahT Offline

Loc: UK
Advent - preparing a way for the Lord, awaiting the Lord with hope. A time for reflection.

#768634 - 12/04/04 07:41 PM Re: Calling all you Catholics
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Presbyterians also celebrate Advent. Tomorrow begins the Second Week.

What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
collard & collard
by Bob Newbie
11/25/14 03:39 PM
What's your definition of music?
by juliantoha624
11/25/14 03:21 PM
Korg SP250 internal speakers
by Kai C
11/25/14 03:12 PM
Removing scratches from black piano
by pinkfloydhomer
11/25/14 02:12 PM
Pain at the shinbone/tibia
by Johan B
11/25/14 02:04 PM
Forum Stats
77041 Members
42 Forums
159346 Topics
2340714 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission