Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#769832 - 06/30/02 02:24 AM Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, Washington, USA
Many are saying that the 4th of July will be the target date of the next attack on America, either on home land or at over seas interests. US intelligance is saying that the next attack on America could be as bad or worse (is worse even possible?!?!?) than the ones seen on September 11, 2001. Wheather or not it will happen on July 4th, they don't know, but are advising people to be on the most hightend alert they can possibly be on in the coming days before and especially on July 4th. I think that this may just be a big nothing, as it has been before when we are told such things. None the less, I'll be on the look out for strange activity when I'm out and about just as I have been everyday since 9/11. This is what the terrorists want, for us to be frightened like this, but as soon as we stop, they strike again and put it back into us. We need to put an end to this loop before they have a chance to strike again. So, what do you think?

Piano & Music Accessories
#769833 - 06/30/02 10:30 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jgoo:
Many are saying that the 4th of July will be the target date of the next attack on America, either on home land or at over seas interests. US intelligance is saying that the next attack on America could be as bad or worse (is worse even possible?!?!?) than the ones seem on September 11, 2001. Wheather or not it will happen on July 4th, they don't know, but are advising people to be on the most hightend alert they can possibly be on in the coming days before and especially on July 4th. I think that this may just be a big nothing, as it has been before when we are told such things. None the less, I'll be on the look out for strange activity when I'm out and about just as I have been everyday since 9/11. This is what the terrorists want, for us to be frightened like this, but as soon as we stop, they strike again and put it back into us. We need to put an end to this loop before they have a chance to strike again. So, what do you think?[/b]
Interesting that this all comes out as the President's popularity drops over 5% in 30 days.

#769834 - 06/30/02 10:40 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

i share george's perception on that, jgoo, but also you should know that "they" say that seattle is the most likely next target. what are YOUR plans for the fourth?

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#769835 - 06/30/02 11:10 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
Drops to 70%. Yeah, I see a definite need for some serious damage control.

#769836 - 06/30/02 11:13 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
george,

If you spin any harder, you're going to screw yourself into the ground! \:D

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#769837 - 06/30/02 11:18 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JBryan:
Drops to 70%. Yeah, I see a definite need for some serious damage control.[/b]
Consider that this is nearly a 20% drop in 4 months. And remember what happened to Bush1. His son does.

#769838 - 06/30/02 11:22 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Keep trying George. You may yet do just what Jolly said.

I have to leave this rather lame discussion to wash my car. I have been putting it off since I dislocated my finger.

#769839 - 06/30/02 11:29 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Keep trying George. You may yet do just what Jolly said.

I have to leave this rather lame discussion to wash my car. I have been putting it off since I dislocated my finger.[/b]
I need to remember that the President's poll numbers are 1) spin and 2) a lame discussion the next time someone on here tells me I am out of touch with the majority of Americans and cites Il Duce's poll numbers as proof of that. ;\)

#769840 - 06/30/02 11:48 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Jolly Offline

george,

You know that a 70% approval rating is unprecedented for a President in his second year in office. Period. No comparison.

Do you have a problem with facts? ;\)

Or just the ones you don't like? :p

#769841 - 06/30/02 11:57 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jolly:
george,

You know that a 70% approval rating is unprecedented for a President in his second year in office. Period. No comparison.

Do you have a problem with facts? ;\)

Or just the ones you don't like? :p [/b]
No question it is unprecedented. But I am just watching the facts of the monthly decline, Jolly. Just watching the facts.

#769842 - 06/30/02 12:51 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by George061875:
I need to remember that the President's poll numbers are 1) spin and 2) a lame discussion the next time someone on here tells me I am out of touch with the majority of Americans and cites Il Duce's poll numbers as proof of that. ;\) [/b]
I'm sorry, was this a discussion of poll numbers in general? I thought it was about your implication that the Bush Administration was issuing terrorist alerts in order to boost poll numbers. THAT I consider to be lame (as well as spin) but, once again, you twist what I say to mean just whatever you want.

#769843 - 06/30/02 01:29 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
 Quote:
george,

If you spin any harder, you're going to screw yourself into the ground! \:D [/b]
No Jolly, he'll never do that. Remember, George spins to the left: "lefty-loosie, righty-tightie." ;\)

#769844 - 06/30/02 01:48 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Then let's shift this, since you all think Il Duce never considers the politics of his actions...

If there is an increased threat on 7/4 as the Administration says, why has the alert level remained yellow? If there really are all of these possible attacks the Administratin knows about and if July 4th celebrations have been targeted as they are saying, should not the alert status be increased to at least the next level?

After all, the colors are meant to let us know how much risk we are facing. Based on the color we have now, they are saying the risk is no greater this coming week than it has been since the procedure was put in place months ago.

So, I will take Il Duce at his word. The color was yellow months ago. It is yellow now. The risk is the same.

So, why all the hype from the Administration?

#769845 - 06/30/02 02:03 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'm sorry George, I really don't understand the question.

#769846 - 06/30/02 02:20 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm sorry George, I really don't understand the question. [/b]
Actually, there was no real question. More a statement of understanding that the risk on July 4th is no greater than it ever has been because the way the Administration has chosen to alert us has not changed. It is a recognition that the Administration is just talking about it a lot more for some reason and just taking a lot of actions for some reason and just scaring people for soem reason -- undoubtedly for the good of the country.

Knowing these men are not politicians, but statesmen whose only motivation is what is best for this country, I feel very comfortable that there is no game playing here.

#769847 - 06/30/02 02:31 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

I'm glad you feel that way but perhaps the New York Times could offer you more reassurance.

[You may have to register on there server although I am sure you probably have already]

#769848 - 06/30/02 02:49 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm glad you feel that way but perhaps the New York Times could offer you more reassurance.

[You may have to register on there server although I am sure you probably have already][/b]
I am sorry, but as so many on here have pointed out, the liberal media never tells the truth. The NY Times is always pointed out as one of the bastions of the liberal media. So, whatever you have linked here is really of no relevance because it cannot have any truth in it.

I will just watch what the Administration does and realize they have only the country's best interests at heart, never concerned about their own. The warning levels have not intensified from the yellow we have had for months, but they tell us we are faced with a significant chance for a terrorist attack on July 4th. They have established no fly zones over the weekend for several monuemtns. Seattle has been identified as a major target for the weekend. But the yellow remains.

While it confuses me, I am sure not going to go to the liberal media to explain what the Administration need not explain because Il Duce's Administration would only do what is right and good. To think otherwise is to damage the unity of the country and offer support to the terrorists.

#769849 - 06/30/02 03:25 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pique:
i share george's perception on that, jgoo, but also you should know that "they" say that seattle is the most likely next target. what are YOUR plans for the fourth?[/b]
Yes. Infact, I just heard this on last nights news. It was said that Seattle would be an easy target. City officials here have brought things up an extra step to prevent any such thing but we can't be 100% certain of anything. Our Space Needle has been named a target for a long time now, since pictures of it had been discovered in al-quida caves. My plans for the 4th are still uncertain. If I stay in Seattle, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but if my dad can get the time off of work, we're going to the my grandmas cabin in Ocean Shores, Washington, where I go every year, but a doctors apointment on the 2nd is conflicting with my plans, and I won't have a ride as everyone goes earlier than that (this is on my moms side of the family) unless my dad can make it and give me a ride. Either way, I'll find something to do. But, back to terrorism, I think that people here in Seattle are on a high alert to catch something in time to stop it, if anything happens at all.

#769850 - 06/30/02 04:01 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Mr. Gould Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Come on over to the island Jgoo!
Unless they nuke Seattle, you will be safe here.

#769851 - 06/30/02 04:13 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

CP: The only problem with that is that I'd be celebrating my nations independance in another nation! I don't really think that anything will happen, but if it does, our city will (hopefully) be prepared enough to handle it. I think that we're on a high enough alert to avert anything but as I said before, we can't be 100% certain of anything.

#769852 - 06/30/02 04:23 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Mr. Gould Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah doing that would be kinda anti American.

Jgoo do you really think that they can make sure that no-one with a nuclear weapon enters the city?? Can they protect the skies?? I think its really easy to miss a couple terrorist's when there's millions of people out on the streets.
I just prey for the best, but if anything does happen I wont be shocked.

#769853 - 06/30/02 04:44 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Um, I don't think that they're going to attack us with nukes, that is, IF they even attack us at all. However, we cannot rule out the possibility of a nuclear attack against our nation. If Seattle is the target city for a nuclear attack against the United States, then there's really nothing that we can do to prepare for it. We'll just have to try to stop it before it happens. And, if a nuclear attack does occur, I think that it will be with a dirty bomb, which does far less damage (but can blow up an entire stadium) but still spreads deadly radiation everywhere. Some other targets could include Boeing and/or Microsoft if the Space Needle isn't hit. But there are also several other places within the Pacific Northwest (and not just Seattle) that terrorists would probably just love to target. Its scary to think of but we can't just be scared like this non stop, or the terrorists will win. Just go about daily things with a higher alertness of the people around you and thats good enough. You shouldn't need to be constantly scared or worried.

#769854 - 06/30/02 05:39 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Classical Player:

I just prey for the best.[/b]
are you pretty good at catching them? and then how do you prepare them?

;\) just teasing.. \:\)

now in paperback:

#769855 - 06/30/02 05:41 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

jgoo, i agree with you. just live your life the best you can. i'm sure the feds will do the best they can to avert any attacks, and sometimes you just have to accept that some things are beyond your control. after all, we're all going to go some way, some time.

happy fourth!

now in paperback:

#769856 - 06/30/02 05:44 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pique:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Classical Player:

I just prey for the best.[/b]
are you pretty good at catching them? and then how do you prepare them?

;\) just teasing.. \:\) [/b]
LOL, pique.

Quote:
Also Originally posted by pique:
happy fourth![/b]
Yes, you have a happy fourth too! Everyone have a happy fourth!

#769857 - 07/02/02 03:04 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Along these lines, wonder who came up with the brilliant idea to color code the alerts?

It seems pretty silly to me. Unlike air quality alerts which can be scientifically measured, the terrorist alerts can't. How can you possibly measure the probability of some mad terrorist getting bypassing security procedures and attacking. It's impossible.

I though it was better when they just said high alert, warning, and such. It made more sense.

Does anyone really pay much attention to them any more?

#769858 - 07/02/02 04:20 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Jolly Offline

The color-coded alerts are a recycled idea from the Cold War and the possibility of nuclear attack.

Since the code has been yellow for so long, I would pay attention if it suddenly changed. other than that, business as usual.

#769859 - 07/02/02 06:55 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Not A Ham Offline

Loc: Deer Park, TX
Maybe I am just a Texas Redneck with a serious attitude problem but:

Another terrorist attack on our soil will have dire consequences for those who choose to perpetuate attacks on the innocent. I am very sure of one thing. Whether you like George Bush or hate him, he has good ol' boy red American blood in him that doesn't take well to violence against our citizens. There are quite a few grave markers in Texas with murderers names etched in stone. (uh oh another can of worms) He won't fool around with these nuts. They may all be toasted nuts soon, although not the edible type.

I am afraid that another terrorist attack is coming. We all need to pray daily for our country and leaders. Oops...there's that God thing again. Better watch out for the ACLU (Association of Communist Liberal Underminers). For years we have been forewarned about these crazy idiots. Makes a pretty good argument for pre-emptive strikes.

#769860 - 07/02/02 07:39 PM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
jgoo Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcarey:
Along these lines, wonder who came up with the brilliant idea to color code the alerts?[/b]
We have a thread just for this topic in the 9/11 forum. You may have to do a little digging to find it though. That was a few months ago.

#769861 - 07/03/02 12:36 AM Re: Terrorist Attack on July 4th?
Steve Miller Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
 Quote:
The color-coded alerts are a recycled idea from the Cold War and the possibility of nuclear attack.

Since the code has been yellow for so long, I would pay attention if it suddenly changed. other than that, business as usual.[/b]
Which brings me to a question I have had for a long time.

We are supposed to be extra watchful on the fourth. We are supposed to be even more watchful if the color of the alert changes.

Just what, exactly, are we supposed to be watching for? And just what are we supposed to do if we find it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 41 invisible), 1286 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75968 Members
42 Forums
157099 Topics
2307191 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much to Move a piano from Tucson, AZ, to New York?
by Paul678
33 minutes 42 seconds ago
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission