Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#773254 - 08/13/02 04:35 PM Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Soon, it will be time to finish off our basement room. I noticed when we were looking at houses that most of the walls in the newer places are textured. Our old (50's) house had smooth walls. My neighbor said its because they spray on the mud after they put up the sheetrock (or whatever it is called)instead of using one of those metal thingies. It that because its cheaper, and hides flaws better? I like the smooth look a little better, is it difficult to do? Jodi

Piano & Music Accessories
#773255 - 08/13/02 05:03 PM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
It's not a particularly difficult thing to do, but it takes practice and patience. (Sounds like piano playing \:\) )

Around these parts, any kind of drywall installation that didn't have smooth taped joints wouldn't fly, whether new construction or old.

#773256 - 08/13/02 08:26 PM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
Cheap quality builders will often spray the spackling (drywall mud) onto the wall so that they don't have to fill the screw holes or tape the joints. It saves them from having to sand it all and get it smooth. Sprayed walls scream "cheap" just like some of this fake wood flooring that gives under your feet screams cheap.

#773257 - 08/13/02 09:26 PM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
Dwain Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
The sprayed wall surfaces that I've seen and specified come in a variety of textures, ranging from a slight "orange peel" look to a more stucco-looking "knock-down" texture. But even when textured like this, the joints still had to be taped and bedded and sanded before application of the spray. Then, the spray texture is painted over. It helps to make the wall a slight bit more durable, but it's big selling feature is to hide irregularities in the underlying drywall installation. Frankly, I don't like it at all on walls, and only infrequently on ceilings in the orange-peel option. It may be a regional preference thing, but I would never have it on my walls at home. And while I'm not very good at it myself, standard-finished drywall finishing isn't rocket science. I wouldn't be afraid to require it of any contractor. Tell them you want a "Level 4" drywall finish, or, if the walls are subject to harsh lighting coming at a sharp angle from adjacent doors or windows, thell them you want a Level 5" finish on those walls. Level 5 is what's typically called "skimcoating," where the whole wall surface is covered with joint compound, to smooth out the bumps from the joints as much as possible - otherwise, the lighting angle will make every little bump stand out. These "Levels" are defined by the Gypsum Association of America. If you need, I'll be happy to fax a copy of their brochure defining the "levels." If you use this terminology and your contractor looks at you like you're from Mars, get another contractor. Happy mudding! \:\)

#773258 - 08/13/02 10:47 PM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dwain Lee:

But even when textured like this, the joints still had to be taped and bedded and sanded before application of the spray.[/b]
And of course you are correct. What I meant to say was spraying saved them the work of getting the joints and screw holes perfect.

Forgive me.....I was having a Cohen moment.......

#773259 - 08/14/02 12:06 AM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I know, I hate it too, it looks so tacky - our new house unfortunately has orange peel. (at least the new house doesn't have the textured glitter ceilings that several of the 70's era houses we looked at had...) According to my neighbor, the guy at the end of the street is a drywall expert, she had him re-mud her walls (to cover up the fact that she ripped wallpaper off, and wasn't able to get it all) and I went over and looked at it. It has this interesting effect, at least I HOPE it was an effect - it looks like an adobe wall - with all these areas where the mud kind of folded over on itself. (If it wasn't done on purpose, then I'd say I could do a better job first time out blindfolded) Dwain, I'd be interested in that information, but I have no fax number here, I'll have to find the number for Steve's office. Thanks for the help, guys. Jodi

#773260 - 08/15/02 05:36 AM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
My neighbor just did an adobe type effect in his living room. (Did it himself) I was impressed with the final look, although I don't think I would do this in my house.

BTW, up until about a year ago, my walls were all white or off white and I was perfectly happy that way. My wife is now going through the house and making changes in the room colors. At first, i was dragged kicking and screaming, but I now like the change. (Except for the bright red bathroom)

Good Luck with the walls Jodi!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#773261 - 08/15/02 08:18 AM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
(Except for the bright red bathroom)[/b]
AARRRRGH! Bathrooms should be a place of serenity where one can soak in soothing waters and colors.

Then again, red may be the color for reading the Inquirer. \:D

#773262 - 08/15/02 04:56 PM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Well, I've got a gallon bucket of bright red paint just waiting to go on the wall around the fireplace in the living room. Actually, it's a very deep cranberry, somewhere in between the mahogany red of the piano, the cherry red of my great great grandfathers hand made chest, and the reds in the oriental rugs. It's awesome. Like you, Rich, I've had off white walls with white ceilings my whole life. I've decided its time to get wild with those paintbrushes. (no rude comments, LARRY) \:\) Jodi

#773263 - 08/15/02 11:25 PM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
Steve Miller Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Yorba Linda, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Well, I've got a gallon bucket of bright red paint just waiting to go on the wall around the fireplace in the living room. Actually, it's a very deep cranberry, somewhere in between the mahogany red of the piano, the cherry red of my great great grandfathers hand made chest, and the reds in the oriental rugs. It's awesome. Like you, Rich, I've had off white walls with white ceilings my whole life. I've decided its time to get wild with those paintbrushes. (no rude comments, LARRY) \:\) Jodi[/b]
One of the most beautiful rooms I have ever been in is the living room at SWMBO's boss's house. It is a newer tract house of the 30' living room ceiling with open staircase variety. Most of these living rooms remain builder's white and have all of the charm of a blimp hangar.

This one is painted red - cranberry red - all 30' tall of it and all four walls. The ceiling is sky blue with clouds painted on it. The drapes run 30' from floor to ceiling and are in a pattern that everyone would tell you was far too large and colorful to use. The furniture is an eclectic mix, mostly mahogany, vaguely oriental in feel.

This room just knocks my socks off. Bet you like yours too, and if you don't, just paint it again!

#773264 - 08/15/02 11:36 PM Re: Dry-wall and Mud(d?) questions
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

"All the charm of a blimp hanger."

How funny! \:D \:D \:D Jodi

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
09/14/14 10:09 PM
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
09/14/14 09:36 PM
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
09/14/14 08:56 PM
Reger's Piano Variations
by argerichfan
09/14/14 08:36 PM
What is the Typical Piano Consignment Split?
by Paul678
09/14/14 06:58 PM
Who's Online
112 registered (aesop, anotherscott, Anne'sson, accordeur, 33 invisible), 1254 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157521 Topics
2313822 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission