2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#773598 07/03/02 11:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From The Village Voice:

The Sons and Daughters of Liberty

In 1756, in Boston and other cities and towns, the coming of the American Revolution was speeded by mechanics, merchants, and artisans who organized against British tyranny. Calling themselves the Sons of Liberty, they set up committees of correspondence in the colonies to spread detailed news about British attacks on their liberties. They focused on the general search warrant, which allowed customs officers to invade and ransack their homes and offices at will.

In the spirit of the Sons of Liberty, on February 4 of this year, some 300 citizens of Northampton, Massachusetts, held a town meeting to organize ways to—as they put it—protect the residents of the town from the Bush-Ashcroft USA Patriot Act. On that night, the Northampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee began a new American Revolution. Similar committees are organizing around the country.

Speakers at that town meeting were defying John Ashcroft, who threatened dissenters in his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee last year. He denounced those "who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty. . . . Your tactics only aid terrorists, for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve. They give ammunition to America's enemies."

But speakers at the meeting emphasized that the USA Patriot Act and the the succession of unilateral Ashcroft-Bush orders that followed apply not only to noncitizens but also to Americans in that very hall. William Newman, director of the ACLU of Western Massachusetts, pointed out that law enforcement agencies are now permitted "the same access to your Internet use and to your e-mail use that they had to your telephone records"—and may overstep their authority. "The history of the FBI," Newman warned, "is that they will do exactly that."

Also speaking was University of Massachusetts professor Bill Strickland, whom I first met when he directed the Northern Student Movement during the civil rights campaigns of the 1950s and 1960s. Said Strickland, "The elements of the Patriot Act place all of us in danger."

One result of that meeting was a petition, signed by over 1000 Northamptonites, urging the town government to approve a "resolution to defend the Bill of Rights." Thanks to a persistent organizing drive, that resolution passed the Northampton city council by a unanimous vote on May 2. It targets not only the USA Patriot Act but also all subsequent actions by Ashcroft and others that "threaten key rights guaranteed to U.S. citizens and noncitizens by the Bill of Rights and the Massachusetts Constitution."

Among those key rights: "freedom of speech, assembly, and privacy; the right to counsel and due process in judicial proceedings; and protection from unreasonable searches and seizures."

The city of Northampton officially asks, from now on, that "federal and state law enforcement report to the local Human Rights Commission all local investigations undertaken under aegis of the [USA Patriot] Act and Orders; and that the community's congressional representatives actively monitor the implementation of the Act and Orders, and work to repeal those sections found unconstitutional."

This is a signal to the mostly passive members of Congress that actual voters are watching them.
In April, similar resolutions to defend the Bill of Rights from the Bush administration and from complicit members of Congress afraid to challenge Ashcroft were passed in the nearby towns of Amherst and Leverett. And Dr. Marty Nathan, of the ever industrious Northampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee, informs me that "the city councils of Ann Arbor and Berkeley passed civil liberties resolutions in January," as did the Denver city council in March and the city council in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on June 17. Other cities are also preparing resolutions.

You would think this grassroots movement to secure our liberties would be of interest to the national media, but I have seen little of it on television or in the print press.

To find out about these campaigns around the country, and about a range of organizing tools, you can visit the Northampton Bill of Rights Defense Committee's Web site, and its links: www.gjf.org/NBORDC.

At the town meeting in Leverett, Massachusetts, Don Ogden, who initiated the resolution, noted—and I hope the FBI transmits this to John Ashcroft—that "it is truly Orwellian doublespeak to call such unpatriotic efforts a 'patriot act.' "

Like Northampton, the town of Amherst also passed its resolution unanimously. Select Board Person Anne Awad did not at all see Ashcroft's "phantoms of lost liberty," but rather a clear and present danger to our constitutional rights.

"As members of the Select Board," she said, "we want to know that all residents and visitors to our town feel safe. We do not want to support profiling of particular types of people. If one group is viewed suspiciously today, another group will be added to the list tomorrow."

A further indication that many Americans are ahead of their representatives in Washington in wanting to be safe from Ashcroft is an April 24 Associated Press report: "Despite the fear of future terrorist attacks, a majority of Americans are unwilling to give up civil liberties in exchange for national security, according to a Michigan State University study. Nearly 55 percent of 1488 people surveyed nationwide said they don't want to give up constitutional rights in the government's fight against terrorism. . . .

"The telephone survey, sponsored by the National Science Foundation, was conducted from November 14 through January 15 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points." Sixty-six percent "opposed government monitoring of telephone and e-mail conversations."

The original Sons of Liberty were an instrumental cause of the American Revolution, and they spread the liberating news without an Internet. Think of how much more and swifter organizing can be done on the Web now. Let me know, at the Voice, what other towns and cities are doing to keep the Bill of Rights alive. Please do not use e-mail.

DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I keep forgetting. How many citizens have been arrested or held or even inconvenienced due to these freedoms being stripped by Mr. Ashcroft? Thousands? Hundreds? Scores?

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by DT:
I keep forgetting. How many citizens have been arrested or held or even inconvenienced due to these freedoms being stripped by Mr. Ashcroft? Thousands? Hundreds? Scores?
I don't think anyone has any idea. No wonder your memory is not serving you well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by DT:
There is no way for you, me or anyone else to know, DT.

They are arrested in secret, based on secret criteria. They are held in secret locations, with no benefit of legal counsel. They will be tried in secret, sentenced in secret.

All based on whatever parameters Attorney Generalissimo Ashcroft and Il Duce decide, on their own, to establish.

All this in "the land of the Free."

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think the number DT had in mind was "0".

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
*Yawn*

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by Jolly:
No doubt it was...but who's to know? How would anyone know?

It could be 0. It could be 1,000. It could be 10,000.

Do you know Jolly?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by JBryan:
*Yawn*
I see you remain ever vigilant, JBryan, as you assured us you would be. wink

DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by George061875:
[b]I think the number DT had in mind was "0".
No doubt it was...but who's to know? How would anyone know?

It could be 0. It could be 1,000. It could be 10,000.

Do you know Jolly?[/b]
I'm sure that should 10 people have disappeared mysteriouly after being visited by people driving plain cars, the media would be blasting us with the news.

Through clever and constant application of propaganda, people can be made to see paradise as heck...
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by DT:
I'm sure that should 10 people have disappeared mysteriouly after being visited by people driving plain cars, the media would be blasting us with the news.
Actually, they have been letting us know. Generalissimo Ashcroft though blasts the media as unpatriotic if they report it and refuses to give any information to them. De facto President Cheney publicly states in speeches that they had better be "very careful."

"Oh say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave, o'er the land of the Free and the home of the Brave?"

It is still waving -- it is just a question of what type of country it still waves over.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by George061875:
[b]*Yawn*
I see you remain ever vigilant, JBryan, as you assured us you would be. wink [/b]
Roger that Chicken Little.

DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Huh? The media have been letting us know but we have no idea how many have been taken away. I guess that isn't inconsistent. How many have the media reported on?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
No, you don't understand. We don't know that nobody has been taken away so we should be concerned. Just like we don't know that aliens from outer space aren't living amongst us so we should be looking.

Uh, about those aliens...

"We are your last, best, and only line of defense" - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB

The government's on the ball!

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, you don't understand. We don't know that nobody has been taken away so we should be concerned. Just like we don't know that aliens from outer space aren't living amongst us so we should be looking.
Not a parallel analogy, JBryan. No aliens have ever stated they have the right to live among us.

The Il Duce Regime, though, has made it very clear they have the right to set aside the legal rights of those they choose, using their own justification, to detain and then to handle all of these people secretly as they deem appropriate.

Now, perhaps they expressed such a controversial position without any intention of implementing their position. But somehow, I do not think they would have created a political controversy for nothing.

But then, this is the Fourth of July, so one should not be so unpatriotic as to criticize a politician about such a minor issue as civil liberties.

And, according to the Il Duce Regime and its many spokesmen, patriotism today is clearly support of the particular person holding the office, not support of the values of the country.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Uh, about those aliens...

"We are your last, best, and only line of defense" - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB

The government's on the ball!
I honestly forgot about those guys. laugh

How many of these aliens have been taken away? Oh, that's right. We have no way of knowing.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
No one was "inconvenienced"? You mean the government bureaucracy works that well?

Gee, I hope they raise my taxes to pay for more of it. laugh

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
No george, what you are saying is that the Bush Administration through the Attorney General could be picking up and detaining ordinary citizens who have no connection to terrorism or, at least, that no such connection could be demonstrated, but we don't know that any such person has not been detained so we should be worried. My analogy is quite appropriate.

Yes, we would expect them to use the extraordinary powers they have declared to protect us from this extraordinary threat but only you and others like you have assumed that these powers will be abused.

Also, no, I will not take your bait (offered on a number of occasions now) and accuse you of being unpatriotic because you are skeptical of an administration we all know you oppose. That is your right and I would be the last to imply that you were being unpatriotic for excercising that right.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I don't think the fact that a bunch of leftists in radical college towns known for their goofy logic got together to protest something is all that informative.

Here, as Paul Harvey would say, is

The Rest Of The Story............

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
What, Ann Arbor and Berkeley? Aren't they the bedrock of Middle America? wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission