Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#777473 - 02/23/02 11:54 PM Three questions on books
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
Ok, here they are:

1) What is your favorite 19th century book and favorite 19th century author?

2) What is your favorite 20th century classic book and classic author?

3) What is your favorite contemporary book and contemporary author?

Dan

Piano & Music Accessories
#777474 - 02/24/02 01:32 PM Re: Three questions on books
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
Ok, here's my answers:

19th century book:
wow,there's so many to choose from. But I think I'll go with Elliot's, Silas Marner.

19th century author:
I love Jane Austin, but I think Dicken's gets the nod simply because he has so many excellent works.

20th century classic book:
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee

20th century classic author:
I've enjoyed reading works from many authors, but the only one that entices me to RE-READ anything is Steinbeck, so he gets my vote here. Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday are simply wonderful to read again and again.

20th century contemporary book:
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. Wow, what a recounting of the Gettysburg battle during the Civil War.

20th century contemporary author:
I don't know about this one, so I guess I'll leave it blank. I enjoy Clancy, Cussler, Koontz, Coonts, Auel (who is finally releasing a new novel!), L'Amour, and many others but no one really stands out as a favorite, so no vote from me on this group.

Dan

#777475 - 02/26/02 06:20 AM Re: Three questions on books
Anonymous
Unregistered

As someone who studied English literature I think I should answer. \:D

Favourite 19th century book:
"Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte and "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy.

Favourite 19th century author:
I too like Jane Austen a lot, so she's on top of my list. But Charles Dickens and Thomas Hardy run a close second.

My favourite 20th century classic books are "To the Lighthouse" by Virginia Woolf and "Howards End" by E.M.Forster.
As favourite author for that perios I would nominate E.M.Forster.

Among the 20th century comtemporaries books and authors I like are Roddy Doyle (all his books except "A Star called Henry"), "Angela's Ashes" and "'Tis" by Frank McCourt, Kazuo Ishiguru's "The Remains of the Day", Nabokov's "Lolita" and many more.

#777476 - 02/26/02 06:50 AM Re: Three questions on books
German Offline

Loc: Argentina
It's too difficult to answer this question! I'm going to tell you my favorites writers:
19th century: Bodelaire; Poe; Dotoievski;...
20th century: Henry Miller; Bukowsky;...
Contemporary: Sabato (from Argentina).
Now, in the last years, I'm reading philosophy (it's very interesting).
Regards.

#777477 - 02/27/02 10:43 AM Re: Three questions on books
lily_chauchoin Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
They seem like such easy questions on the surface. I'm a voracious reader though and generally have 3 or 4 books going at once. Fiction, non-fiction, classic, fluff...it doesn't matter.

1) Yet another vote for the Bronte's here. I did enjoy the heck out of "Wuthering Heights" and "Jane Eyre". As for authors on this side of the pond, I like Cooper's "Last of the Mohicans".

2) I could read "To Kill a Mockingbird" over and over and with the exception of "The Old Man and the Sea", I generally like Hemingway. I can tell you that I never got Faulkner and spent a semester banging my head against a wall over "The Sound and The Fury".

3) My favorite author is M.M.Kaye. While her short mysteries are inferior to Agatha Christie, I adore her long historical fiction; "The Far Pavilions", "Trade Winds" and "Shadow of the Moon". Two books I've read recently that I thought were better than average were "The Painted House" by Grisham and "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant.

Lily

#777478 - 02/27/02 11:53 AM Re: Three questions on books
DT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
19th Century: Mark Twain
20th Century: Isaac Asimov or Robert Heinlein
Contemporary: Phillip Gulley

#777479 - 02/27/02 05:53 PM Re: Three questions on books
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
19th Century - Mark Twain, "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn " I also like Alexandre Dumas, Arthur C. Doyle, Dickens, Cooper.

20th Century - Robert Penn Warren, "All the King's Men" (a thinly veiled account of one of the most fascinating periods in American history), other authors -Robert Heinlein, L'Amour, Clarke, Tolkien, Chandler.

Current - I enjoy Grisham, Ambrose, Parker, Koontz.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#777480 - 02/27/02 09:20 PM Re: Three questions on books
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
19th century book:
A Sentimental Education - Flaubert

19th century author(s):
Flaubert, Dostoevsky, Dickens, Twain

The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner

James Joyce

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

So many good ones - I don't have a single favorite.

Some recent reads: Tom Perrotta's Bad Haircut;
David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day; John Dunning's The Bookman's Wake; Peter Kivy Philosophies of Arts: An Essay in Differences.

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: netizen ]

#777481 - 03/06/02 01:06 PM Re: Three questions on books
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Nici:

Too bad you're in Germany; I think we should check out each other's bookshelves! My list would probably be fairly close to yours, although it would be hard to nail down a favorite 20th C author and book.

(I was an English 'minor' in college, and focused on 20thC).

My fave 20thC authors would also include: Primo Levi, Nadine Gordimer, John Barth, F Scott Fitzgerald, John Irving, Faulkner,... it's just too hard to pick one!

Nina

#777482 - 03/07/02 06:41 AM Re: Three questions on books
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nina, all

yes, too bad that I live in Germany not only book-wise \:\) Living in Germany also means that I can't participate in all those piano get-togethers...sigh.

What I find amazing about this thread is that almost everybody seems to like Charles Dickens. Cool.
The other good thing about this thread is that it provided me with a list of books to be handed out when my birthday comes around again \:\)

#777483 - 03/12/02 10:44 PM Re: Three questions on books
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
If you like Charles Dickens youíll probably like Anthony Trollope as well. His The Way We Live Now is a great novel. Trollope was as popular as Dickens in his day, but after he died his Autobiography was published. In it Trollope pretty much described his writing as a way to earn a living. Certain literary snobs castigated him as merely commercial. I thought that was one of the goals of becoming a published author; to sell as many books as possible. Certainly Dickens was of the same mind but wisely kept silent.

Favorite 19th century book:
Les Miserables Ė Victor Hugo
(I wish I could read it in French)

19th century author(s):
Hugo, Dostoevsky (especially the one variously called The Possessed or Devils), Trollope, Thomas Hardy

Absolam Absolam or As I Lay Dying Ė Faulkner
I read just about everything Faulkner wrote, consider him superior to most American novelists. Light In August is also pretty good but I think the other two are genuine masterpieces.

The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway also impressed me and Iíd probably read any of these again. I like Hemingway, have some sense of why he is considered a great writer, but nothing of his quite struck me as much as this one.

I read some Thomas Wolfe. Is it possible to admire someoneís passion more than their art? Thatís about how I feel about him.

James Joyce. There was a time when I was a Joyce fanatic and Ulysses would have topped my lists, but time makes some tastes change. Still admire him.

E. M. Forster (A Passage to India) based on this book alone is certainly a great writer.

Probably Catís Cradle by Vonnegut, another author I have read widely. He seemed to have his finger on the pulse of American society for many years, but Catís Cradle is his stand out masterpiece.

Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury is also pretty impressive.

Here are a few; Graham Greene, Evelyn Waugh, C. S. Lewis, Alain Robbe-Grillet (Jealousy) and Jean Paul Sartre (The Age of Reason is a masterpiece)

Once upon a time I was invited (along with my late wife) to a literary soiree in New York, a place where the likes of Vladimir Nabokov, Thomas Pynchon and John Updike (oooh I loathe him!) were being lionized. They asked me who I liked and I decided to make the equivalent of a great fart by saying that I preferred Jacqueline Suzanne (Plarski) as providing far better social criticism than any of the others. Then they KNEW I was not one of them.

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (barbaram, aesop, barmassimo, Atrys, accordeur, 21 invisible), 1158 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295905 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission