Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
126 registered (anamnesis, 36251, accordeur, AndyJoe, aceydawg, 40 invisible), 1385 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#782513 - 09/11/03 04:02 PM INS getting out of hand?
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY-Madrid-Newfoundland (rhymes...
I just spoke to a good friend of mine from Ireland. Told me that an Irish violinist who is our mutual acquaintance fell in love with an American from Chicago while studying at Juilliard and after several years dating they married last year planning to move to Chicago. They didn't count on the INS not allowing her to remain in the country and now he has had to move to Dublin so they can be together. Isn't this taking things to an extreme? I mean, really, how many terrorists have gotten into the country by marrying Americans?

Elena
http://www.concertpianist.com

Piano & Music Accessories
#782514 - 09/11/03 04:21 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The moral here, of course, is don't marry a foreigner. In this case it's unfortunate that your friend wasn't a Kennedy.

#782515 - 09/11/03 04:34 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I was offered 30 thousand to marry an Iranian in about 1982.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#782516 - 09/11/03 04:40 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Mr. Ashcroft sees his role as that of a screwdriver -- and everyone else gets screwed.

Ken

#782517 - 09/12/03 08:59 AM Re: INS getting out of hand?
bcarey Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
 Quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Mr. Ashcroft sees his role as that of a screwdriver -- and everyone else gets screwed.

Ken [/b]
:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

That deserves five smilies!

#782518 - 09/12/03 09:13 AM Re: INS getting out of hand?
John Andrew Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Ahhhh.....

It is so wonderful to live in a country that is so willing to let the government control every aspect of our personal life to keep us free from terrorism but can't seem to find a man hiding in a crate on an airplane.

Ya gotta love the priorities of this Administration and what policies it decides to focus on to make us more "secure."

#782519 - 09/12/03 11:27 AM Re: INS getting out of hand?
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by EHpianist:
Told me that an Irish violinist who is our mutual acquaintance fell in love with an American from Chicago while studying at Juilliard and after several years dating they married last year planning to move to Chicago. They didn't count on the INS not allowing her to remain in the country and now he has had to move to Dublin so they can be together.[/b]
I don't know how recent a development this sort of thing really is, because nearly the same thing happened to my cousin. My cousin was studying economics at the University of Heidelberg in Germany, met a lovely German girl, fell in love and got married. Once he had earned his doctorate, they planned to move to the U.S. Well, INS wouldn't grant his wife permanent residency, so they remained, and continue to remain in Germany, where my cousin was granted permanent residency (being married to a German citizen and all). That was over 12 years ago, well before the potential terrorist initiatives were even conceived.

#782520 - 09/12/03 01:15 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
Rick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
You may be right John about the priorities being skewed. Here it is two years after September 11th and our borders are still apparently quite porous. An intelligent immigration policy would have been the most foolproof and cheapest way to prevent the attacks. And yet, there is all this focus on the items people bring on to planes and whatnot! It just makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe our borders are much better defended now, but I don't think so. And now that weasel out in California has signed a bill that would give drivers licenses to illegal aliens!! What the heck is going on here? BTW, does that imply that they knowingly[/b] give a drivers license to an illegal? Or just that they won't bother to check people's status anymore. The end result would be the same (disastrous), but the message is much more powerful in the former.

#782521 - 09/12/03 01:25 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by apple:
I was offered 30 thousand to marry an Iranian in about 1982. [/b]
Was he cute? ;\)

Elena

#782522 - 09/12/03 01:29 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Rick, all you will need now is a Taxpayer ID number, not a SS number. You can get a Taxpayer ID number from the IRS over the internet. The IRS does not check whether or not you are an illegal or have a criminal background. It doesn't even check to see if you are who you say you are. So *anyone* will be able to get a CA driver's license, not just Mexicans. You know a CA driver's license will not get you checked over at the airport as closely as your Saudi passport. A driver's license will allow you to rent a car or Ryder truck. A driver's license will allow you to buy a firearm. A driver's license will allow you to vote. You can now very easily assume a new identity if you have multiple arrests or warrants or DUIs. Thank you Gray Davis.

#782523 - 09/12/03 01:37 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
I don't know how recent a development this sort of thing really is, because nearly the same thing happened to my cousin. My cousin was studying economics at the University of Heidelberg in Germany, met a lovely German girl, fell in love and got married. Once he had earned his doctorate, they planned to move to the U.S. Well, INS wouldn't grant his wife permanent residency, so they remained, and continue to remain in Germany, where my cousin was granted permanent residency (being married to a German citizen and all). That was over 12 years ago, well before the potential terrorist initiatives were even conceived. [/b]
I have heard more stories like this recently than at any other time in the past. One of my best girlfriends is an American pianist who met a German composer while they studied at NEC in Boston. They married 4 years ago and the INS allowed him to stay after a series of interviews (although they moved to Germany last year). I have several friends who married foreigners before 9-11 and they were all allowed to stay.

My Irish pianist friend who related the original story to me was on a Fulbright for two years in the US, training as a vocal coaching assistant at the Curtis Institute no less, and was kicked out last May as soon as the Fulbright expired (she was given 6 days), despite her most desperate attempts to find a legal means to stay. I told her she is better off anyway. She is moving to London now where I am sure her wonderful talents will be much more welcome and appreciated.

Elena

#782524 - 09/12/03 01:42 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
SR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
 Quote:
I just spoke to a good friend of mine from Ireland. Told me that an Irish violinist who is our mutual acquaintance fell in love with an American from Chicago while studying at Juilliard and after several years dating they married last year planning to move to Chicago. They didn't count on the INS not allowing her to remain in the country and now he has had to move to Dublin so they can be together. Isn't this taking things to an extreme? I mean, really, how many terrorists have gotten into the country by marrying Americans?

Elena
http://www.concertpianist.com [/b]
Are you sure there isn't some part of this story you left out ? My daughter married a Frenchman and he lives here. He called his old friend over from Paris who now also lives here despite being married to nobody.. The friend BTW came in after 9/11 and after the Patriot Act.

Regards

Steve

#782525 - 09/12/03 02:38 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
EHpianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SR:
[QUOTE]Are you sure there isn't some part of this story you left out ? [/b]
I promise I have not kept anything out. I have not been filled into the particulars of the Irish girl and the guy from Chicago, but I spoke directly to the one who received the Fulbright.

Elena

#782526 - 09/12/03 06:32 PM Re: INS getting out of hand?
SR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
 Quote:

[/qb]
I promise I have not kept anything out. I have not been filled into the particulars of the Irish girl and the guy from Chicago[/QB][/QUOTE]

As the old saying goes, regarding that couple, "the devil is in the details". Having watched my son in law, and friends, and his family plus an Iranian family that live across the street from me come and go I think the INS is too soft if anything.

Steve

What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Forum Stats
77063 Members
42 Forums
159383 Topics
2341252 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission