2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,326 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
flya750 Offline OP
OP Offline
Other than the price.... are there any differences in the Yamaha C3 between the years of 1999 and the current models?

i.e. I know the newer C3's have an ivory like key surface. Did they have that in 1999?

Also, I got a price for a new Yamaha C3 Disklavier Mark III for $27,000. I think that price is a bit high....am I wrong on that?

Thanks...
flya750

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
flya750,

Your price of $27,000 for a new DC3A (Mark III) is incredibly low. The list of that piano is $49,995. And, although it has been replaced by the Mark IV, the Mark III is easier to operate in many respects and well-worth your serious consideration.

I also believe that the 1999 C3 also had "Ivorite" key tops as do current C3's.

The last DC3A sold by this company was well over $30,000! But it at $27,000!!!!!

Retired Industry Professional
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry...."BUY" it at $27,000!

flya750 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your prompt response and info on the DC3A.. The $27000 DC3A is a good price as you say, but it is more than I wanted to spend. Altough I do understand that for this purchase I should get exactly what I want to assure happiness for along time to come. I would hate to have buyers remorse!

I would like the Disklavier but I'm not sure about the cost of it. That is why I'm leaning towards a used C3...

Has anyone purchased the Disklavier and felt they didn't need it? Didn't use it?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In our experience, the Disklavier purchasers are usually those who want a good musical instrument, but there is no one in the home proficient in playing the piano well! They might entertain a lot. But other than the CD's and Discs playing their piano, it would sit idle!

The DC3 is a very popular Disklavier model because it is a "Conservatory-level" grand piano (also suitable for use in small concert venues) that can withstand the hard playing done by the various artists who are "playing your piano" (via software).

The mistake many people make is buying a poor quality grand piano (such as an entry-level Chinese grand) with a player system built in. The hard playing by various artists can virtually wear out an inexpensive piano and cut the life of the piano drastically.

So, if you care little about the player system, the straight C3 might be a better option for you. By the way, a new Yamaha C3 has a suggested retail of $39,000....and that's without the Disklavier option! This further proves how attractive the $27,000 asking price is!

Hope this helps.

Paul

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
With all respect to Paul, I don'y know how useful it is in this day and age, to delegate all entry-level Chinese grands to *poor quality*.

Entry-level is *entry-level*: the Japanese pianos aren't exactly a shimmering star in this category either - the Germans and other Europeans don't even bother to build any.

The price tag on some pianas today is what really motivates consumers to look around and seek alternatives - they certainly have an increasing number of options available to them.

There is a whole group of 5'8 -6' Korean and Chinese pianos today - to which Piano-Disk systems can easily be attached - which would certainly compare quite favourably to what the Japanese have been pumping out as of late.

Most people buy such pianos for their personal fun and enjoyment and are less concerned how such instrument would stand up under extended professional use by some international maestro.

In this market and certainly the one coming at us these days, fierce competition is not something can be talked away by calling others simply 'inferior' or 'poor quality'

If this were *true* - they'd do those who label them a huge favour.

No product that would fit any such descriptions will have the slightest hope of survival in the future.

Thanks God.

Norbert

flya750,

The C3 is a nice piano. You should be able to find a lovely used one for ca. $11-12K. Then add a PianoDisc system for another ca. 6-7K depending on options. It'll save you lots of $$ and you'll be just as happy. Good luck!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I made the post about the lesser-quality pianos not withstanding the "abuse" of hard playing, I kind of knew there would be a rebuttal of some sort! However, I didn't intend to delegate ALL Chinese pianos into entry-level. There are some really strong and very acceptable model available. But I have seen a few very inexpensive and lesser-quality pianos with player systems that were experiencing many problems, including broken hammers, buzzing bass strings and actions thrown way out of sorts. These were obviously from less-expensive, lower quality built instruments that were not intended to stand up to the likes of serious piano-playing.

I also accept the fact that this is also possible in entry-level Korean or Japanese pianos as well! The Yamaha GB1 is a perfect example. This is a model that was not developed for "commercial" venues!

Finally, most 5'8" and larger pianos WILL be able to withstand the player system installation, no matter where they were built. It's just the small, inexpensive grand pianos (5' and under) that were mostly developed to be "price-competitive". The only way they can do that is use less-expensive materials and have them built in places like Indonesia (Yamaha GB1) and/or China. I merely used "entry-level Chinese" pianos as an example. I do realize that there are "entry-level" Chinese pianos and much better quality Chinese pianos (usually larger models).

My intention was to project to "flya750" the difference between a conservatory-level piano with a player system and an inexpensive, entry-level piano with a player system and how they might stand up over the life of each.

I agree with musewoman, buy a used C3 and put a player system ($5-6K) on it. You'll get the great piano with the great player system, for a fraction of the cost! My $0.02

I wake up every morning wanting to both change the world, and have one heck of a good time. This makes planning the day a little difficult.
-E.B. White
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Although recent product coming from China and Korea has proven to sound and feel good at that prices they are offering, I still have to argue their "performance" really has not been tested as of yet. How will this piano hold up to professional playing, for hours each day? For years and years to come.

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's what I was trying to project Chris!

Worthingtone, I do agree that finding a good used C3 is a good solution. But after-market player systems have always made me nervous! I guess I'm so used to the reliability and performance of the Disklavier player system (which is the only system installed at the time the piano is built). Most technicians (including Larry Fine and his gathering of piano techs) feel Yamaha "has no competition" in this arean, particularly the reliability and operation of the pedaling system, the lyre and trap-work, etc.

But, for sure, you would save money going that route.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
In regards to your original question, flya...

My C3 was purchased new in 1997 and has the Ivorite Keytops.

I. Bruton
Acoustic Pianos at home: Yamaha C3, Yamaha P22
Digitals at home: Yamaha P125, Roland RD-800, Kawai Novus N5S
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Go with a new piano with the integrated system, rather than adding on a player to an already used piano.

My technician claims that it is a hard sell to get a customer to add a player to a low-priced piano because the player costs as much as the piano.

Is a good player with a recording system available for 5-7K installed on a pre-existent piano? I was guessing higher.

Paul:

Point well taken! smile

One thing we must all accept is that we cannot just give any advice here to anyone with the hope to eliminate the difficulty of making one's own decision for oneself in the end.

There's always pros and contras to all aspects in the buying process - for some the *best* advice migt even be not to perhaps buy at all..... frown

It would also be very interesting to read what Larry Fine will have to say when his new book comes out and takes into account the huge changes that have obviously taken place in the industry in the last few years alone.

I'm certainly glad *not* to have his job [might get banned here after... wink ] and I don't envy the man for having to rifle through an Afghan type [piano] mountain side in search of the elusive singular piano to be marked as existing "without competition" today.

norbert smile

flya750 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all for your input..

I think I'm leaning toward a C3 Disklavier... I'm not sure I want an after market player device. (Although I haven't ruled it out completely)

One thing that is buggin' me....when I play the Yamaha's at the dealership I'm hearing a certain noise. What is sounds like is ever so slight string strumming. Could it be when you press the dampening peddle and the damping hammers come down and then go back up, there is a certain strumming of the strings? This noise is loud and I can hear it loud and clear. There is an undertone of a rattling sound if you will. (Maybe not a rattle but a string noise of some kind) I may be hearing two sounds here. The peddle dampener and something else? There didn't seem to be any loose screws anywhere?

I wonder if I'm not hearing the Disklavier equipment mounted underneath rattling? I definitely hear something. It's funny how one salesman, not involved with the purchase, and I hear it...but the salesman involved in the purchase, who I believe has a better ear, doesn't hear anything at all???

I also hear the solenoid of the peddle on the Disklavier... When you JUST press the damping peddle you hear the solenoid loud and clear. It almost sounds like a hissing sound...like a solenoid would sound when opening. I don't really hear that on other pianos. Although I did hear it on a Kawai that was in the show room. I hear a slight hissing sound when you press the dampening peddle. I didn't really hear it on the Ritzmuller baby grand(sp?) or the Samick.

I admit I am a complete neophtye when it comes to pianos, but I am learning and I'm certainly not stupid. This is a big purchase and I have every right to question certain things. And I question the Yamaha pianos I've seen and heard. These may just be viable, nature of the beast piano sounds. But I'm not sure, so that is why I ask the PW forum.

Thanks,
flya

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission