Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#795517 - 08/11/02 09:34 PM Jeremy Narby's Cosmic Serpent
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
I have just finished The Cosmic Serpent by Jeremy Narby. Thank-you pique. This short and at present out of print book only bolstered some of my opinions and opened internal inquiry into some other areas.

One of my long held opinions is that everything, and I do mean everything, has an essentially political component attached to it. By political, I mean that which is used by whomever has temporal authority, to motivate or coerce people to certain behavior, by use of slogans, religions, thought forms, etc.

Right now on the world scene, we have what Samuel P. Huntington describes as a "clash of civilizations;" a showdown between the West (that's us) and Islam. This replaces the former clash between the West and the specifically Russian form of Communism (Leninism-Stalinism), which I maintain is merely a form of statism. Communism of this form, and its variants, derived from the work of Antonio Gramsci (friend and mentor of Benito Mussolini, which proves that Marxism and fascism are one and the same) is far from dead and will I suppose inevitably rear its ugly head.

This is all going on "at the surface" of current geopolitics. What's going on under the surface, in places like Western Amazonia is possibly more interesting and has more long term significance for our understanding of our world and our place in its biology, as well as the means for healing a vast number of diseases.

Narby is a Western academic who seems to have confronted the rational myopia of materialistic philosophy. He is very clear, as am I, about the historical reasons for the rise of this kind of thinking; the desire to dethrone the God of the Bible in the West. The result has been to replace one faith with another; Darwinism. My friend John Anthony West would certainly be interested in reading this book. It would certainly be grist for his mill. But Mr. West doesn't want to go farther into the mystery of our origins.

Narby cannot help doing what he needs to do, trying to establish an essentially materialistic (mechanistic) chain of possible causality that would explain how it is possible for indigenous people ingesting hallucinogenic substances to gain accurate knowledge of the medicinal properties of native Amazonian plants. The intrinsic and instrumental value of this knowledge is worth millions if not billions of dollars. The drug companies want to know which molecules do what so they can reproduce them from other substances. It didn't make headlines during the Rio earth summit that these indigenous people had gathered there to protest being cut out of the economic loop. Western scientists have the equivalent of a religious clout; since you don't believe the way we do, your knowledge is worthless. Carried further, since you are not of our society, you are worthless as people. Obviously their knowledge isn't worthless, so these outsiders only recourse is to steal it. This is another "ugly head" that has political associations.

This part of Narby's story made me very angry. I have for many years regarded drug companies and the whole business of the control of medicinal and consciousness-changing substances as highly political in the negative sense. Narby's account only strengthened my prejudices.

The solution for these indigenous people seemed to be something they want themselves; an educational system that they control (which is what most people in this country want too), paid for out of the proceeds of their pharmacological knowledge. I have no idea whether Narby or anyone else is working toward this in Peru, Bolivia, Columbia, Brazil, etc. Maybe someone could find out.

But the deeper significance of this book is that it raises the same old questions: who are we? Where did we come from? Who made us? Who or what is God? The political answer is as a Hong Kong Chinese girl said to me once, "whatever force is applied to you to make you believe something is true." This is really what is going on in academic communities. Peer review is nothing more than an inquisition. Narby veritably admits as much. The same political forces that control academe, control the press, or try to. The internet (and am talk radio) is helping to restore the competition.

Unpopular ideas may be true: plants (and animals), under the right circumstances can communicate to people. Can we communicate to them in return? What if we admit that Darwin was wrong? What if we admit that we don't know where we came from? What if we admit that there is something, DNA, which is at the root of life on this planet (and perhaps elsewhere)? What would happen to our Western (at present ostensibly Godless and spiritless) civilization?

These thoughts were going through my head as a sort of first take on this book. But it produced some powerful reverberations when I considered what I presently do with my time, what I hope for in my life in the years to come.

When I sit at a piano and play something that I know well, there is something like what Narby calls intuition going on. The piece plays through me. To the extent that the instrument has the potential to reproduce what the piece wants to say through me, the performance will be ... satisfying.

I am consciously planning a life ahead that includes a cluster of business activities, setting myself up to meet the next soul mate, and participating as far as possible in the natural development of my children. None of these things has a purely materialistic aspect to them. Of the business cluster, some element of surprise seems in order, although eventually there will be financial and real estate aspects to it. One sometimes has to build an edifice brick by brick. Of the second, when the protagonist is ready, the partner will appear, seems to be the best attitude. Of the third, this book will be passed along to my eldest daughter who is developing a career involving nursing and molecular biology. My youngest isn't in any kind of situation to care about things like this right now. The idea that what I'm seeing as I write this is merely a replica of external reality generated inside my brain seems incomplete without postulating something that isn't resident inside my body, that goes somewhere else when I'm dreaming, that goes somewhere else when I'm awake sitting on a riverfront veranda late on a summer's afternoon.

Piano & Music Accessories
#795518 - 08/13/02 12:08 PM Re: Jeremy Narby's Cosmic Serpent
the artist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tulsa, OK
The book looks really interesting!! Although it's probably one of those that really makes my head spin -- looks kinda' deep!

I noticed that Amazon.com currently has it in stock -- I'll probably order it. Even the online reviews are really positive!

_Brad

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
10/02/14 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
10/01/14 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
10/01/14 10:37 PM
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
10/01/14 09:42 PM
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
10/01/14 06:30 PM
Who's Online
89 registered (Anticlock, anotherscott, ando, 29 invisible), 1230 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157938 Topics
2319455 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission