Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
142 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alegretto, anamnesis, ajames, 47 invisible), 1676 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#804613 - 03/22/02 04:20 AM Re: Pianos and cars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Derick:

If you worked for my company in the US, you'd start out with 10 vacation days. But in Germany, my company starts everyone out with 20 vacation days.
[/b]

Derick, that can't be right. The minimun in German is 24 vacation days ;\)

I have 30 vacation days (not counting holidays in) like most people over here.

Ah, yes and I own a Citroen...

Piano & Music Accessories
#804614 - 03/23/02 03:02 AM Re: Pianos and cars
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: central oregon
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth:

It always makes me wonder why people drive big SUVs or BMW's that swallow huge amounts of gas. [/b]

Do you have many big SUVs on the roads in Europe? Around here it makes sense with the bad weather, bad roads, and bad drivers in sports cars trying to negotiate winding mountain passes in snowstorms.

#804615 - 03/26/02 02:55 AM Re: Pianos and cars
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
OK, I'm in a snipey mood, having just read a few flame wars...

One would get the impression from these posts that all us westerners live in horrible areas with terrible roads, unspeakable weather and lack of pavement. While some of this may be true for a few of us, by no means is it anywhere near the norm. I'm pretty sure the population in the west is far more concentrated in a few large cities than scattered around as it is in the midwest and east.

So, instead of spending $35K on an SUV that gets less than 10 mpg, why don't we just stay home when the weather is bad and the road is impassable? Or rent a 4WD for a few days?

I will wager that a HUGE percentage of 4WD/SUV owners: 1) don't need 4WD; 2) can't remember how to get into 4WD without reading their owner's manual; 3) have put their car into 4WD once, in a vacant lot, on the way home from the car dealers after just purchasing it.

See you
Nina

#804616 - 03/26/02 10:44 AM Re: Pianos and cars
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I've been out west, Montana in fact (hi pique!). My mother-in-law lives in Hamilton, Montana. She NEEDS an SUV. The road she lives off of is fine. In fact, the speed limit is 75 mph and it is *relatively* safe to travel at that speed. However, she lives high on a hill with a winding, very bumpy, dirt driveway. Her views are incredible though.

However, *most* people do not need SUV's. I frequently see single people driving Lincoln Navigators so clean you could eat off the engine block. The Cadillac Escalade is the 'in' vehicle among major sport stars as well as some Hollywood stars. These people, as well as the "commoners", do not need an SUV. They are simply fashion statements.

Don't be fooled into thinking you are safer in an SUV than you are in a car, you are not. You may have a better chance if you hit another car, but most fatal accidents are single vehicle accidents. In such an accident, you are at much more risk for serious injury in an SUV than a car. Rollover rates in SUV's are significantly higher than in automobiles and account for more deaths in an SUV than any other type of accident.

One more thing, I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee for about a month last year thru both rain and a snowstorm. While it seemed the Jeep would climb a snow covered mountain, it was totally unmanagable when attempting to stop it or go around a corner.
I wound up leaving the Jeep behind and taking my car because I could control it (once I got it moving!)

Derick

#804617 - 03/26/02 10:56 AM Re: Pianos and cars
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

derick, i live just an hour up the road from your mother-in-law!

gee, any chance we can persuade piano worlders to take a vacation in mt this year and have a piano party?

our solution is we have the ageing toyota 4x4 station wagon for nice weather, short runs, and pavement, and the jeep cherokee for more demanding conditions. but even just to get around town here you must have 4x4. we've had winters where i put the toyota into 4x4 in november and don't switch it back until some time in april. you need it just to get out of the garage. and when you are off pavement you have to have a high clearance vehicle or risk high-centering.

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

#804618 - 03/26/02 12:05 PM Re: Pianos and cars
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pique,

Really, you live that close to my mom-in-law! Kewl. Next time we get out there I'll have to look you up. It would be great to have a PianoWorld get together in Montana.

Montana is so beautiful. My mom-in-law's house has a perfect view of snow-capped mountains and hummingbirds feed off the wild flowers (I really love those creatures). And at the bottom of the "hill" from where she lives, there is a babbling brook. So peaceful and quiet... At times, I felt like I was 12 years old again (you know 10 years ago, haha).

But, as nice as it was to visit, I don't think I could live there. Costco was 45 minutes away!

Derick

#804619 - 03/26/02 01:52 PM Re: Pianos and cars
T2 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
One would get the impression from these posts that all us westerners live in horrible areas with terrible roads, unspeakable weather and lack of pavement. [/b]

I played a joke on some friends while in Cambridge, U.K. about 10 years ago. I told them I was in Portland the day that Mt. St. Helens blew up, which was true, and that thousands of square miles of land was flattened by a pyroclastic cloud, which was also true. Then I started pulling their legs. I told them that THOUSANDS of people died in the initial explosion and that THOUSANDS more died from the mud slides. (You have to gesture in a grandiose manner to get the full effect.) Not realizing that the population density of the central washington national forests is very low, the brits bought it hook, line and sinker. I was so amused I kept elaborating. By the third day this leg pulling exercise had grown to include the collapse of two Seattle bridges (the earthquake that followed you know), the loss of the entire city of Olympia due to mud slides, the confinement of all people indoors due to volcanic dust and an Indian uprising. I think it was the Indians attacking the "Iron horse" that finally sunk me.

#804620 - 03/26/02 02:07 PM Re: Pianos and cars
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

derick, i you think costco is only 45 minutes from your mom, you must not have yet heard that we DO have a speed limit in montana. ;\)

t2, we'll have to make you an honorary westerner, for carrying on the tradition of tall tales.

now in paperback:

#804621 - 03/26/02 02:50 PM Re: Pianos and cars
T2 Offline

Hmmm...'honorary' aint needed. I've been here all my life.

#804622 - 03/26/02 03:28 PM Re: Pianos and cars
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pique,

If you call 75 mph a speed limit! I call it heaven.

Derick

#804623 - 03/26/02 03:32 PM Re: Pianos and cars
Eldon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
BTW,
Wasn't it a while back that there was not a speed limit in Montana? I really wanted to visit Montana, then. \:D

#804624 - 03/26/02 05:48 PM Re: Pianos and cars
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: central oregon
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
OK, I'm in a snipey mood, having just read a few flame wars...

One would get the impression from these posts that all us westerners live in horrible areas with terrible roads, unspeakable weather and lack of pavement. While some of this may be true for a few of us, by no means is it anywhere near the norm. I'm pretty sure the population in the west is far more concentrated in a few large cities than scattered around as it is in the midwest and east.
Nina [/b]

Nina, you are right, alot of people have SUV's that do not need them to get around their community. When I said that we need SUV's around here, I meant AROUND HERE... central Oregon. We wouldn't make it out of our driveway some days without 4WD.

We just got back from a 5 hour trip which included following a dozen vehicles behind a passenger car going 5 mph over the pass in a snowstorm. I guess they didn't believe the sign that said "chains or traction tires required". Made me kind of snipey, too.

By the way, Nina, last time I was in Phoenix it was 100 degrees outside. Sounds pretty good to me right now.

#804625 - 03/26/02 06:29 PM Re: Pianos and cars
Chris W1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston
Derrick, I wasn't sure, but thought you were right about that. I remember hearing the Lincoln is no longer to be made. Perhaps that's changed.

We have a Buick 3.8 and a Carrera 3.2. I work on them both, right down to the piston rings on the Porsche. Both have a combined mileage of almost 400k. As far as problems go, I'd rate both very highly. I think people lose out using CU as an exclusive guide. What they fail to realize in that the ultimate pursuit of the most reliable car is increasingly lost in the reality that all manufacturers have improved so much in the past 25-30 years. These days you are better off going with what you like, IMO.

That a car has only got a good 80-100k miles of life is the biggest myth of all.

Chris W
PCA member since '93

#804626 - 03/26/02 09:59 PM Re: Pianos and cars
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

derick,
i think that that section of highway 93 has a 65 mph speed limit. i just drove to stevi and back last week, and i'm pretty sure that is what was posted.

eldon,
montana had a law that said you have to drive at a "reasonable and prudent" speed in the eyes of the ticketing officer to avoid our $5 (daylight only) speeding ticket. but drive unreasonably and imprudently, especially at night, and you could be socked with a whopper of a fine.

the law was changed a year or two ago to a max. of 75 on the interstate and 65 on other highways. much too fast, imho. especially when you consider the high percentage of drunk drivers and black ice in this state.

now in paperback:

#804627 - 03/26/02 10:30 PM Re: Pianos and cars
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chris,

I enjoy working on cars too. I'd love to get a Porsche, a Carrera is at the top of my list. The new one is to die for.

I agree that car manufacturers have come a long way in the past 25 years in many areas including reliability. Unfortunately, however, the American car companies seem to lag behind; at least as far as the statistics in CR indicate. While not perfect, CR does offer a relative guide of reliability.

Nevertheless, ALL automobile manufacturers have a very, long, way to go to match the progress of the computer industry in the past 25 years. I forget the exact figures, but what I'm about to say is not far off... If cars had advanced as much as computers have in the past 15 years, they would get 2000 mpg, would need their oil changed every 500,000 miles and suffer one breakdown in 1,000,000 miles!

Derick

#804628 - 03/26/02 10:37 PM Re: Pianos and cars
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pique,

You are probably right about Highway 93 - the last time I was out in Montana was 2 years ago. But Scalkaho Highway (in case you happen to know it) had a speed limit of 75. That I am sure of since I took a picture of it.

Derick

#804629 - 03/27/02 01:43 AM Re: Pianos and cars
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

derick,
yikes!
i sincerely hope you have the skalkaho highway confused with some other road. skalkaho highway is a series of hairpin turns through deep forest that goes over a pass that is closed in the winter. over much of that road you are lucky if you can travel 25 mph, let alone 75! maybe over on the phillipsburg side, where it is paved and straight, the speed limit is 75... but not over in the bitterroot where your mil is.

i wonder what road you must be thinking of?

be careful over there in granite county (phillipsburg side of the sapphires). i got arrested for speeding on a dirt road there once, and escaped the leg irons in their historic jail by the hair of my lawyer's chin. jailing speeders is a cottage industry over there, and the town's primary source of revenue.

now in paperback:

#804630 - 03/27/02 02:01 AM Re: Pianos and cars
Derick Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pique,

The speed limit was (at least 2 years ago) 75 mph on the paved side (which was ridiculous IMHO). I know the hairpin turns you are talking about on Skalkaco highway and yes, 25 mph is about as fast as I would take them as well.

There were a few places in Wyoming where the only living thing I'd run across was an insect and wouldn't see a car for hours. Visibility was good for miles. I did take advantage of that situation and imagined I was back in S. Germany on the autobahn. (SWMBO was not with me). Of course, if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have even gone 75 - I was in a rented Explorer with Wilderness AT tires.

Derick

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
scales are a struggle
by LarryShone
19 minutes 32 seconds ago
forum extremely slow?
by wouter79
58 minutes 20 seconds ago
Why do we play?
by Jytte
Today at 04:14 PM
Need Help About Accidentals
by Batuhan
Today at 03:29 PM
REPOST: Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano
by kaustin
Today at 03:10 PM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159993 Topics
2349546 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission