2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Dear kathy with a k,

Oops! My numerical keypad seems to be malfunctioning!

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Tom-*K:
Posted by jf: [b]I have the same book, got it in 1973 (or thereabouts, and still use it. It is covered with sauce stains. 1973....
NOW, whos's James Bond? [/b]
I may be vintage but I am not as old as Sean Connery...In fact I recall being at the drive in, age 16, just got my license, with my first girlfriend, not watching Thunderball.

"Make the pie higher." GWB
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Tonite we're having 'beef stroganoff soup'. I don't love it but everyone else does. I make a rich beef stock with a lot of red wine, add onion, mushrooms, noodles and more beef and stir in some sour cream before stirring. Homemade bread and salad.

Yesterday we had a baked chicken stuffed with a nut-bread cube celery dressing, rutabagas and potatoes mashed together, topped with sauteed mushrooms and some clear au-juicy liquid and of course salad. yum

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Tonight we're having mesquite barbeque chicken soup. I wet smoke a chicken the make a soup out of it. The soup carries the mesquite flavor of the chicken. I satue onions, garlic and celery then add pan drippings. Then I gradualy add a can of low salt chicken broth. The add chicken carrots and some water. I cook it for a couple of hours.

Ever since Christmas we're eating in the dining room--candles, cloth napkins, crystal, silver and a sip of wine for the ten year old. The girls still sing grace but now excuse themselves before ambling off to do the dishes. And since we're in the dining room the wife and I don't have to see the kids dirty looks as they are slaving away!

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Tom and Apple, sounds great. You guys eat really well. My wife and I are both working so our better meals are limited to Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. During the week it's more like burgers or spaghetti.

How do you "wet smoke" chicken? Sounds pretty good.

jf

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by plays88keys:
I, too, am one of those former vegetarians. I still have my 1973 copy of The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas and will occasionally whip up something from it.

Tonight's fare? Chicken breasts, brushed with olive oil and seasoned with a poultry rub, then grilled; wild rice; Caesar salad.
I have that book as well (somewhere). It has some of the best bread recipes I ever saw.

Better to light one small candle than to curse the %&#$@#! darkness. :t:
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by JBryan:
I have that book as well (somewhere). It has some of the best bread recipes I ever saw.
There is a molasses bread recipe that I used to make often. It is almost like cake and, if I recall, does not require yeast.

jf

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You all make me sick! Or should I say hungry! laugh

'm preparing dinner for two with leftovers. Biscuits, sausage, eggs, and whatever I throw along with it.

Last night, son's birthday, we had southern soul food. Fried chicken, homemade biscuits (some left over and frozen), gravy, corn, butter beans, green beans, spiced peaches, and banana pudding. I made it all with the exception of the pudding (son's request for b'day), served cold, (yuck). I like it a bit warm or at room temperature.

We did have a good white wine, the name escapes me, but it was good! And good strong coffee with the desert. ( Was that supposed to be double "s", gryphon?)

Honestly, I can do better! cool

Just remember - don't desert the ss's in dessert.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Help!

Both kids got great report cards, so we are taking them out for a restaurant dinner tonight. (Big deal in our house.) Their choice was the local burger joint where everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is fried.

If they could figure out a way to deep fry a salad, I'm sure they'd serve it.

Is a turkey burger really better for you than a hamburger? That's my only hope. help

Nina

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought I was satisfied with my bag of popcorn but after reading all these delicious menu's I might take out a piece of fish from the freezer. The only thing is I like it (steelhead) cooked on the grill (marinate in olive oil, soy sauce and rosemary) but since it's about -2 degrees guess I won't be cooking on the back porch tonight.
Probably will be a salad with some left over chicken.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have a looovely pork roast in the oven (think Julia child voice, with slivers of garlic pricked in the sides, stuffed with pruunes, apricots and dates, rubbed with pepper and slurry of butter, sprinkled with thyme and with a sauce of red wine, orange juice and molasses poured over the top and looooovely wild and brown rice mix with chicken stock, apples and almond slivers aboil, and fresh, green, waiting-to-be-steamed broc. Mmmmmmmm!

But, ya know, Terrytunes, my fave is when there's no one home but me, and I can pop corn (none of the bag stuff anymore - too many chemicals and tooooo fattening), with real butter and the BEST beer. What a meal! Now that's a suppah (as they say here in Maine).

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kathyk:
I have a looovely pork roast in the oven (think Julia child voice, with slivers of garlic pricked in the sides, stuffed with pruunes, apricots and dates, rubbed with pepper and slurry of butter, sprinkled with thyme and with a sauce of red wine, orange juice and molasses poured over the top and looooovely wild and brown rice mix with chicken stock, apples and almond slivers aboil, and fresh, green, waiting-to-be-steamed broc. Mmmmmmmm!
That sounds delicious and kinda like what we had. I am just leaving work now, hoping that my wife has figured dinner out and has something good going, but she works hard too and chances are I will be the one who is home first looking at the recipes.....

jf

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Sure enough....I'm the cook. Think quick. Bag of frozen shrimp out, cut up some carrots, broc, and beans. Sir Fry. Serve over brown rice with spicy sauce.

jf

V
V
This thread, combined with the extremely cold weather, prompted me to make some homemade chicken/vegetable/noodle soup. Made the stock last night, finished the soup tonight. Served it with english muffins, toasted with butter and parmesean. Nothing could be better on a cold night - so good...

Thanks to apple for the inspiration!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I loooove homemade chicken soup and so does my family - a number one meal. I always throw those gizzards, hearts, livers and necks in the freezer, along with the carcasses of the chicks and turks I've cooked. When there's an accumulation, I throw them all in a huge pot and let them cook a couple hours. Picking the meat off the bone is kind of long and tedious, but the end result if so wonderful. I'm probably the only person outside of third world countries who still does that. My mother left her mark of old-world frugality on me, I guess.

V
V
Also -

For a quick, delicious dinner - Costco sells something called Margaritaville jerk shrimp (or something like that...) It is so good - just open the package, heat it up, and serve over spaghetti. Easy as pie with a homemade taste. It's a good thing to keep in the freezer.

[Linked Image]

With the previous talk about Ruth's Chris I just had to. It was delicious. laugh

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
seems like we have chicken noodle soup every week excepting summer.

Excellent variation: To a cooked chicken add 1 tbsp or more fresh ginger, a clove or two of garlic then noodles. When the noodles are almost cooked add a small head of bok choy, at least 1/2 lb of mushrooms, 6 green onions, 1/2 cup or more of chopped cilantro and sesame oil- up to 2 tbsp. I serve it ala-Thai with hot peppers, and lime wedges.

tonite we had lamb kabobs, hummus, tabouli, tsatsiki sauce with pita bread and rice and raw rutabaga ( very thinly sliced into squares and triangles so the kids could play with their food) which went over quite well to my surprise. By the time I finished cooking I was in a horrible mood because I didn't get all my practicing in... but-oh well.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission