2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hi, all, i need your professional advice.

I am a beginner of piano living in HK and I would like to buy my first piano. Due to room size and budget limit, I can only think of Upright pianos. Right now, I have 2 choices, both are pretty new 2nd hand (actually, they are displayed items). One is Yamaha U3 and one is Kawai US50.

The price for Yamaha U3 is around US$2810 and Kawai is around US$3575. I have tried both, I found that the sound of Kawai is louder and sharper. The salesman said the style of Kawai US50 looks like a grand piano and the materials used are far more better than Yamaha U3. However, as he is too "hard sell" on Kawai and personally, i like the brand name of Yamaha more, so I really don't know which one is better.

Does anyone have tried these two before?? Could anyone tell me more about Yamaha or Kawai?

Thanks a lot !!
smile

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
His claim about the materials being much better in the Kawai is nonsense. The pianos are of comparable quality. If they are both of similar age and condition I would go with the Yamaha because of the price differential and the fact that the U3 is 52" high while I beleive the Kawai is only 49" high.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

M
M
I personally own the Kawai K50E which is their newest model of the K50 in the US. Though I love it, the price difference would stear me to the Yamaha.

Be careful of the dealer. Get the serial no.'s from each piano, and find out the date of manufacture. The U1 has been made forever, and just because the case looks new, it may very well be an older piano. Be careful, is the watchword when dealing with some of the dealers.

Either manufacturer makes fine pianos that are the equal in quality of one another(IMO). In your case it will probably come down to which piano has the lower price.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with Micheal & Steve here. Given the relative equality of both manufacturer's products, then size alone would steer me to the U3. Given the same price and quality, bigger would be the way to go.

However, in North America (at least in Canada, that price for the U3 might be a bit low, so be careful, and have a tech check it out for you. Good luck.

jamie

"A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission