Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#81442 - 02/13/08 12:02 AM Re: Hailun pianos
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I had no idea that Hailun was the bottom of the barrel. I had always thought that since [Hailun is] a brother brand of Steigerman, that it was rated higher. [edited]

It would seem that although the Hailun may sound OK, obviously Larry Fine has determined that there are some serious issues that make it a low quality instrument.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#81443 - 02/13/08 12:17 AM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
 Quote:
Here's my spin. I'm 51 year old, will spend up to $10K on a new vertical (no room for a grand) on ANY model or make that appeals to MY eyes, MY ears and My fingertips.
You don't have to go that high.

There's really excellent uprights in the 6-8 k range out there.

We sell them all the time.

So do others....

Norbert \:o

#81444 - 02/13/08 12:26 AM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Wiz,

You need to read the Fine text as well as the ratings. The Hailun family of pianos has no connection to DongBei. They are made by Chen Hailun. You're right in associating them with the Steigerman Premiums. Those Steigermans are built by Hailun on a contract basis.

Probably the easiest explanation of Fine's rating is that information was sketchy. Hailun has only begun to put together a dealer network in the past year or so. Until then their pianos were only seen in the US under the Steigerman name and for a very brief time as Wendl&Lung in the Chicago area.

If your travels take you near a Hailun dealer, you really ought to try one, or two, or three. You may like them, maybe not. But at least you will have your own opinion. http://www.hailunusa.com/main.shtml

#81445 - 02/13/08 12:38 AM Re: Hailun pianos
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Dave,

Have you visited the Fandrichs?

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#81446 - 02/13/08 10:47 AM Re: Hailun pianos
sweetkeys Offline

Loc: Kentucky
No pictures yet. My camera is in another state (oops!) But the more I play it, the more I love it! This is a piano that you truly should reserve placing any judgement upon until you play it. It is a great piano for the buck!

#81447 - 02/13/08 02:10 PM Re: Hailun pianos
M&B Offline

Loc: California
No pictures yet? :rolleyes:

Just run to one of your customer's home (if you had sold one yet) ask them to let you take a picture. \:D

#81448 - 02/14/08 12:13 AM Re: Hailun pianos
Dave_E Offline

Loc: Stanwood, WA
No Ron, but I talked to the Mrs. last week. She put me on to a good mover to get the giant Shaff Bro from the garage to the upstairs. I spect I'll be talking to them about this piano when I get a new one later in the year.

#81449 - 02/14/08 06:44 AM Re: Hailun pianos
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
 Quote:
Originally posted by M&B:
No pictures yet? :rolleyes:

Just run to one of your customer's home (if you had sold one yet) ask them to let you take a picture. \:D [/b]
Hmm.. I am starting to lean M&B's way.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#81450 - 02/14/08 08:00 AM Re: Hailun pianos
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Call me gullible if you will, but I think Sweetkeys is legit. Not having a digital picture of his/her new piano readily available does not incriminate Sweetkeys.

Best regards,

Rickster

#81451 - 02/14/08 09:47 AM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
M&B:
No pictures yet? Just run to one of your customer's home (if you had sold one yet) ask them to let you take a picture.
mikhailoh:
Hmm.. I am starting to lean M&B's way.
The thing is that the opinion of the brand shouldn't change whatever you think the motives of the person asking the opinion might be. Personally, I don't think that's the case with M&B. I think his dislike of pianos from China is authentic. \:D

Mik,

Do you remember the poster who said she went out and bought a Brodmann grand based on your helpful advice. That was the thread where Michael B went ballistic on the Brodmann promotional lit. FTP and I were offering a sideshow of mildly sarcastic remarks. Well, that buyer never supplied pix, and worse yet she claimed your advice sealed her deal. Now I don't know about that one! \:D

Personally, I think PW should have a member panel to investigate new piano placements in members' homes. The Wiz would obviously be on the panel to check for counterfeits. The panel might even swing by that infamous warehouse to see what the Wiz actually has stashed there.

#81452 - 02/14/08 01:55 PM Re: Hailun pianos
sweetkeys Offline

[img] [IMG]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/jessgrahamus/IMG_0353.jpg [/img][/IMG] My piano!

#81453 - 02/14/08 01:59 PM Re: Hailun pianos
sweetkeys Offline

Okay, I'm having problems getting my picture on here. Any ideas?

#81454 - 02/14/08 02:23 PM Re: Hailun pianos
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by sweetkeys:
My piano! [/b]
Congrats on your new piano!!!
I like that deep glossy finish.

#81455 - 02/14/08 03:29 PM Re: Hailun pianos
sweetkeys Offline

Thanks LisztAddict! How did you do that?

#81456 - 02/14/08 03:47 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Kenny Blankenship Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast
RE: PIANO BOOK
Please see other recent posts on PW as to why we musnt keep referring to this book as an unbiased and trusted source of piano information.

#81457 - 02/14/08 04:12 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline

Quote:
Do you remember the poster who said she went out and bought a Brodmann grand based on your helpful advice. That was the thread where Michael B went ballistic on the Brodmann promotional lit.
That's interesting.

We're selling these pianos as fast as they come - with and without *lit*

Bu always with *lid*.

Norbert \:D

#81458 - 02/14/08 04:29 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Kenny,

I just noticed that you have added Hailun to your brand line-up. Doesn’t that contradict everything you’ve ever said about Chinese made pianos?

Regards,

Rickster

#81459 - 02/14/08 04:32 PM Re: Hailun pianos
PSS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Great pianos at a great value. Some people saw this years ago, and some are just now finding out.

#81460 - 02/14/08 04:37 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline

Quote:
Great pianos at a great value
But that's not what people want.

Most are adoring *good* pianos of inceasingly *poor value*.....

Norbert

#81461 - 02/15/08 08:04 AM Re: Hailun pianos
dreamtime Offline

The reviews of the Hailun pianos at the NAMM show were good. I would go on that basis if you haven't actually played one. The great Larry Fine book may not be that up to date in regards to the latest offerings from Hailun.

#81462 - 02/15/08 02:10 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Dino_dup1 Offline

Loc: So. Cal.
I will chime-in here even though the topic is about Hailun Pianos, they are the factory which manufactures the Steigerman Premium line. Here are excerpts from a letter Larry Fine wrote to me regarding this matter:

Quote:
Dear Dino:

As we discussed by phone, I did not have enough information to properly rate several piano brands that I placed in Group 4C, and I erred by rating them at all. I should have left them unrated until such time as I had enough feedback to rate them confidently. The brands in question are Hailun and the Steigerman Premium line, the latter made for Steigerman by Hailun. Both exhibit signs of being better than average quality for a Chinese piano, especially the Steigerman Premium, which has a number of impressive upgraded technical features. Although I am not willing to commit to a rating at this time, it’s possible that these brands would command a rating in the vicinity of 4A or 4B when sufficient information becomes available.

Yours truly,

Larry Fine,
Author, The Piano Book
Larry originally printed a rating in The Piano Book regarding the Steigerman pianos as he thought he was doing me a favor since the Premium line was recently introduced and that having the line mentioned in his book would give it some credence. At the time he was not aware of how a rating which is less than we would desire and less than our line deserves (in our opinion) might be used by competitors to beat-up on our brand.

I print this letter not only to defend the quality and “rating” of the Hailun and Steigerman Premium pianos but also because I think it speaks volumes about Larry’s character and integrity.

#81463 - 02/15/08 02:44 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline

Dino:

Well said!

Some of our friendly competition will now have to backpeddle in a great hurry as this was something they constantly used against us.

Interestingly enough, our own appreciating customers for this piano always had shared a very different opionion themselves.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/15611.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/18399.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=017648;p=0&r=actu

#81464 - 02/15/08 07:47 PM Re: Hailun pianos
M&B Offline

Loc: California
Norbert,

Any person who had purchased something recently they need to reassure they made the right choice. In occasions they will reinforce their decision sometimes by writing about how satisfied they are. This is human nature. I'm sure all dealers here have similar posts or letters from their customers.
It will be more interesting to know about those who didn't like your product or yourself. Those who bought from the competition. Then we all learn something.
I enjoyed reading your posts but recently you are not contributing. You are only looking for chances to plug your brands or business. Come ‘on ! You know better than that get back in track. ;\)

#81465 - 02/15/08 09:38 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline

Quote:
I enjoyed reading your posts but recently you are not contributing. You are only looking for chances to plug your brands or business.
Not in the context of Dino's above post.

Read again and you will see the very point I'm making, it's got nothing to do with 'plugging' - Steigerman Premium as well as all our other makes, can stand nicely on their own!

P.S. Any of your own customers by chance ever writing here?

#81466 - 02/15/08 11:43 PM Re: Hailun pianos
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana, USA
If, as it appears, that the Hailun is rated as 4A by Larry Fine, then I will have to change my opinion. This would make Hailun one of the better Chinese, but still not quite up to the standard grade Japanese (Yahama, Kawai). It seems that Perzina (also a Chinese) is rated higher.

With that said, it seems that for the low price that Hailun is being offered, that it would be a best of breed. Certainly, Hailun seems to be better than the standard low quality Chinese brand.

#81467 - 02/16/08 09:29 AM Re: Hailun pianos
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
The truth is in each our hands and ears. Go play one and see for yourself. The fact that it is better than the average Chinese piano is not necessarily a ringing endorsement.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#81468 - 02/16/08 10:18 AM Re: Hailun pianos
malcolm1 Offline

Loc: australia
Has anyone seen one of Hailuns brochures? I visited The factory last October, and I was more than impressed with the technology and machinery that is being used (Japanese and German). They are now using Hailun in one of the top Vianise concert halls, The first time ever for a chinese piano. Bearing in mind they have only been producing for 6 or 7 years. They have several top technicians and designers from Germany America and Japan pointing them in the right direction.
I work for a company in Australia that imports them with the Bernstein brand name, And have been for about 3 years. every container load is better than the one before.
Just a bit of food for thought, I hope this sheds a bit of light.

regards Dave
( Tuner tech 35 years)

#81469 - 02/16/08 11:23 AM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hi Dave,

I've never seen a brochure, although I've played several of the pianos, and liked them a lot. I don't even know if they had brochures at the shop where I played them. The sales presentation there was very low-key.

I'm interested in your personal connection to the Bernstein fallboard name. Does Bernstein distribute to independent Australian retailers or does it have its own retail locations? I'm curious because in the South Asia market there seems to be a big overlap in the availablility of Hailun pianos. For example, I've read in this forum that Hailun, W&L, Bernstein, and Wagner can all be found in Singapore. In the US we had availability almost exclusively through the upgraded Steigerman Premiums that Dino described. That was basically on the East and West Coast. Now we have HailunUSA filling out a dealer network in all regions and competing pretty aggressively on price. Very recently, I saw a retailer website where the only new piano line represented was Wagner, but I have no idea if that's the Hailun-built Wagner that is sold in Asia. (Dino, please correct me if I've got it wrong here.)

Dave, are Hailun pianos under different brands competing against each other in Australia?

Mikhailoh,

I agree with you that endorsing a piano becauase it may be 4a is as silly as berating it because it's been labelled 4c. But I'm afraid your sensible approach of playing the pianos before commenting on them may fall on deaf ears when you address them to a member who insists on painting by the numbers.

#81470 - 02/16/08 01:10 PM Re: Hailun pianos
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
From malcoml1

Quote:
Has anyone seen one of Hailuns brochures? I visited The factory last October, and I was more than impressed with the technology and machinery that is being used (Japanese and German).
Yes there is one - a very nice one - that says a lot about their technology. Unfortunately the only link I can provide is in French[/b] and was published by a Wendl & Lung[/b] dealer network in France/Switserland:

http://www.lesmaitresdupiano.net/w&l.pdf

The brand name connections (Hailun, Wendl & Lung, Steigerman Premium, Bernstein) is ever more becoming a mystery to me as apparently is also for turandot, especially in those markets (e.g. U.S.) where two brands (Steigerman Premium/Hailun) are competing on price, Steigerman charging a price premium of +/- 20% based on some cabinet differences and Renner hammers only?

schwammerl.

#81471 - 02/16/08 05:00 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Frank Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
schwammerl,

I was at a dealer around Anaheim recently that carries Steigerman Premium and saw 2 same model uprights and one had Renner with red under felt and the other did not.
When I asked the dealer he said Steigerman has dropped Renner hammers (at least from uprights?) due to cost.They need to lower their cost.

Do they give dealers an option on parts reflective of cost?
I don't know.
Does that mean a consumer must now go into every detail to "see" what they are paying for?
Maybe.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (ASLevelMusicTheory, Atrys, accordeur, AZ_Astro, a_dee, 17 invisible), 1120 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251531 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission