Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#81562 - 05/06/08 04:14 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Glenn Treibitz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles/Burbank
I was in the Hailun factory in July of 2006 and saw complete "Petrof" products being made and the they looked very authentic down to the design of the plate. At that time we also saw large numbers of parts that were being shipped to Petrof. So this association between the two companies is nothing new.

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Grotrian, Mason&Hamlin, Estonia,Schulze Pollmann,Albert Weber,Baldwin,Brodmann,Ritmuller,Weber,Hardman,Roland,Kurzweil, Used Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#81563 - 05/06/08 04:21 PM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
from Glenn Treibitz
 Quote:
I was in the Hailun factory in July of 2006 and saw complete "Petrof" products being made and the they looked very authentic down to the design of the plate. At that time we also saw large numbers of parts that were being shipped to Petrof. So this association between the two companies is nothing new.
UH - OH! Where's that deposition form?

Ever had a feeling you'd like to go to Wheeling.....?
\:D

#81564 - 05/06/08 10:25 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I paid a visit to Pianoforte Chicago today. As many of you know, they are a (the?) Wendl & Lung dealer. The guy who runs the show is a very friendly gentleman named Thomas Zoells. I thoroughly enjoyed the 45 minutes he gave me, answering my questions, listening to my situation, and suggesting possible avenues to follow as I consider what I'm going to buy to replace our old upright. I am fairly well convinced that I might not get the best price from him, but I am equally, if not more convinced that the post-sales support would probably justify the added up-front expense.

We talked about the Hailun and W&L connection. He maintains that the pianos are not identical. The key difference is that the W&L pianos are voiced in such a way as to appeal to the European audience to whom they are targeted. And to Americans who share the European taste for a more mellow, less shrill tone, this is worth the couple hundred dollars' premium over the Hailun upright.

I don't think there is any real news here, but wanted to share my experience nevertheless. There actually is a Tech shop in a Chicago suburb who claims to stock W&L. I might try to pay them a visit this weekend.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#81565 - 05/06/08 11:18 PM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
We talked about the Hailun and W&L connection. He maintains that the pianos are not identical. The key difference is that the W&L pianos are voiced in such a way as to appeal to the European audience to whom they are targeted.
Alwayswanted,

If you see the dealer again, it would be interesting to ask him if his W&L's come by way of Vienna or straight from China. On the first Hailun thread ....
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/17210.html

.....it was pointed out that W&L sold Hailun-made pianos in Europe and the W&L pianos passed through a final checkpoint in Vienna before distribution to the dealer network. At that time Steigerman Premium was the Hailun-built piano in the US market since Hailun didn't have their own dealer network up and running at that time.

I don't want to plod through that thread, but I'm 99% certain that Pianoforte in Chicago was mentioned even then (more than one year ago) as having W&L pianos. The question is why they had (have) them, since Chicago is not part of the European market.

If the price difference is only $200, then the dealer's comment makes sense. Yamaha C2 and Kemble 173 is another instance where two pianos are identical except for voicing, but the price difference is more than a few hundred dollars.

Hailun is pricing pretty aggressively in the US. If I were you, I would visit a Hailun dealer too to find out if the price difference is really that small.

#81566 - 05/07/08 03:05 AM Re: Hailun pianos
keeferae Offline

Loc: Singapore
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We talked about the Hailun and W&L connection. He maintains that the pianos are not identical. The key difference is that the W&L pianos are voiced in such a way as to appeal to the European audience to whom they are targeted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alwayswanted,

It would be interesting if you could find out from the dealer whether there are any other differences beside voicing.

Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that W&L and Hailun pianos are identical. This is claimed by the dealer here as well but later he mentioned that the W&L 122 upright (which I eventually bought recently) has an aluminium plate right beneath the keyboard. Schwammer has kindly pointed out that this is for better regulation.

Also, the W&L pianos here are not shipped to Vienna and back to Asia for sales, according to the dealer here who sells W&L and Hailun side-by-side. Meanwhile, the W&L here is priced about 10% higher than a similar Hailun.

#81567 - 05/07/08 07:45 AM Re: Hailun pianos
PETROF, spol. s r. o. Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
PETROF, spol. s r. o. denies that “the Hailun company is building an Anton Petrof line for Petrof”, it is not true. In its brand portfolio, PETROF has only 3 other brands: Rösler, Scholze and Weinbach, as you can see on the website:
- http://www.petrof.com/upright-pianos-other-upright-pianos.html?lang=2
- http://www.petrof.com/files/ke_stazeni/petrof-brand-english.pdf

Thank you for your understanding.

PETROF, spol. s r. o.

#81568 - 05/07/08 09:01 AM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PETROF, spol. s r. o.:
PETROF, spol. s r. o. denies that “the Hailun company is building an Anton Petrof line for Petrof”, it is not true. In its brand portfolio, PETROF has only 3 other brands: Rösler, Scholze and Weinbach, as you can see on the website:
- http://www.petrof.com/upright-pianos-other-upright-pianos.html?lang=2
- http://www.petrof.com/files/ke_stazeni/petrof-brand-english.pdf

Thank you for your understanding.

PETROF, spol. s r. o. [/b]

#81569 - 05/07/08 12:16 PM Re: Hailun pianos
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by turandot:
Alwayswanted,

If you see the dealer again, it would be interesting to ask him if his W&L's come by way of Vienna or straight from China. [/b]
I did indeed ask this very question. He told me he has a tech who went to Vienna to be trained by the W&L people there. His W&L's come straight from China, and get the same treatment here that they would if they stopped in Vienna first.

Quote:
Originally posted by keeferae:

Alwayswanted,

It would be interesting if you could find out from the dealer whether there are any other differences beside voicing.

Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that W&L and Hailun pianos are identical. This is claimed by the dealer here as well but later he mentioned that the W&L 122 upright (which I eventually bought recently) has an aluminium plate right beneath the keyboard. Schwammer has kindly pointed out that this is for better regulation.

[/b]
Thank you for asking this, and for your additional information. Several times, while discussing the differences between Hailun and W&L, he mentioned that there were some "extra bells and whistles" the W&L pianos get. I ignored this the first time or two, but eventually I had to ask what those were. He said something vague like "hardware that has to do with regulation". I admit I am pretty much an idiot when it comes to all this stuff, and he probably (correctly) supposed it wouldn't be worth the time to go into detail. But my recollection of his explanation completely corresponds to what you wrote.

Casio Ap-200

#81570 - 05/07/08 01:12 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Hailun will be the company to watch.

Watch when they new 6'5 and 7' grands will hit the market....

Norbert \:o

#81571 - 05/07/08 01:39 PM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

from Norbert
 Quote:
Hailun will be the company to watch.

Watch when they new 6'5 and 7' grands will hit the market....
Jeez,

Based on what you have said previously, I've got one eye reserved for Brodmann. Now I have to allocate the other to Hailun. I've run out of eyes just listening to you alone. What's a person to do? \:D

It reminds me of the old Latin American expression...'tiene un ojo en el infinito, y el otro en la p*** ******'

#81572 - 05/07/08 01:46 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline

turandot:

I thought it's:

"Siempre mantenga usted los ojos en la bella mujer, además de usted"....

Norbert ;\)

#81573 - 05/08/08 03:17 AM Re: Hailun pianos
keeferae Offline

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several times, while discussing the differences between Hailun and W&L, he mentioned that there were some "extra bells and whistles" the W&L pianos get. I ignored this the first time or two, but eventually I had to ask what those were. He said something vague like "hardware that has to do with regulation".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alwayswanted,

Thanks for sharing the information. There have been much talk (or speculation) about the relationship between W&L and Hailun but answers have been lacking.

Recently in this thread, I asked Joe Bednar (who said he is affiliated to Hailun) whether he could shed some light on the relationship but got no response.

From the information you provide, it seems there are indeed some "differences" between the W&Ls and Hailuns (at least in the uprights). But, not sure whether the "differences" can be considered significant or not or whether it has any bearing on the sound produced. Not sure also about the grands as my knowledge of pianos is limited, I must admit. Perhaps someone could step forward to enlighten all of us. Thanks.

#81574 - 05/08/08 11:33 AM Re: Hailun pianos
500 Post Club Member

I plan on visiting ANRPiano tomorrow, a tech shop in the Chicago suburbs who also sells W&L uprights. (Strange, for a piano that has no North American distribution, that there are nevertheless two dealers representing it within 25 miles of each other...)

I'll ask some of these questions there, and report back.

Casio Ap-200

#81575 - 05/08/08 11:57 AM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Some differences between pianos can be easily seen. I remember in the original Hailun thread the Steigerman versions were described as having exclusive rights to the 'Bosendorfer' plate color \:\) . They also had the brass kickplate above the pedals on the vertical cabinet. I believe there was a difference in leg styles offered on the grands as well. These may be less significant than the voicing of the piano that you receive from the factory, the Viennese checkpoint, the retailer, or that you pay for directly yourself. Renner action options offered may be more extensive on W&L than on stock Hailun.

Member Schwammerl has a keen eye for these details. Maybe he'll stop by again.

#81576 - 05/08/08 10:01 PM Re: Hailun pianos
keeferae Offline

Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
........to say that all new grand pianos under $50,000 have paint chips around the plate screws that don’t have washers under them and rough castings just don’t make sense to me. In fact, I’ve seen new Chinese made grand pianos that had flawless looking, beautiful plates without paint chips around the plate screws.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

This is taken from another thread: "Questionable quality on my Kawai" and was posted by Rickster. Thought this may provide some interest in this thread where quality issues regarding China-made pianos have been raised. Perhaps, this shows that quality is uneven among the many piano maufacturers in China and we need to be careful and selective when purchasing China-made pianos. Hence, it may not be fair to generalise all China-made pianos as of questionable quality.

#81577 - 05/09/08 08:41 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline

We'll be getting our first batch of 6'5 Hailun grands here any time soon.

Will post an honest review after we've done normal prepping and setting them up.

We're also Brodmann dealers, so this will be very interesting - especially for us....

Norbert ;\)

#81578 - 05/09/08 09:55 PM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
We'll be getting our first batch of 6'5 Hailun grands here any time soon.
Norbert,

This brings back fond memories of your long-anticipated Brodmann grands from Vienna that were in the cargo hold of the S.S. Demeter when it pulled into the port of Vancouver a few months ago. \:D

Looking back on this thread, I noticed that it now has 165 posts. Lots of different stuff, lots of different directions. It began with a new member post looking for advice on Feb. 10. The new member was suspected of not being genuine. Her photo of hew new piano was questioned too. Along the way it's been kept alive by discussion of Hailun pianos in Europe, in the US, in Canada, in Singapore, and more. We've had visits from the Phantom of the Opera (M&B), TW, K-Blank, Dino, Mario, BradKY, yourself, and even a rep from Hailun itself.

Since Hailun has never gotten slammed (except for M&B's facetious comment that his Hailun fell apart and he had to drop it off at Craigen's house for a quick rebuild \:D ), and since most opinions have been favorable, maybe Hailun Chen really did know what he was doing when he set up a marketing scheme that would have people asking questions about the many different Hailun fallboard names for years to come.

#81579 - 05/09/08 10:07 PM Re: Hailun pianos
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Turandot

I was surprised when I read that thousands of Hailuns had been sold. Perhaps that is the reason for all the attention.

#81580 - 05/09/08 10:55 PM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

from fathertopianist
 Quote:
I was surprised when I read that thousands of Hailuns had been sold. Perhaps that is the reason for all the attention.
I'm surprised to hear that myself. I had no idea. Does that include sales inside China?

I know this. They look good, play good, sound good, and at least for the moment, they are cheap! (inexpensive \:D )

Father,

It's appropriate that you should sign the thread guest register. You were the originator of the S. S. Demeter line that I stole from you. That still cracks me up whenever I think of it. Not enough humor here lately.

#81581 - 05/10/08 12:18 AM Re: Hailun pianos
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
 Quote:
[QUOTE]

Since Hailun has never gotten slammed (except for M&B's facetious comment that his Hailun fell apart and he had to drop it off at Craigen's house for a quick rebuild \:D ), and since most opinions have been favorable [/b]
If someone came on here and said they saw a Hailun and were not impressed, they would get a strip ripped off them, so some may not want to share their thoughts even if they have them.
This forum is only nice if you are.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#81582 - 05/10/08 12:53 AM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I don't think I can buy that Rod. Some of the opinions come from people who don't sell them and don't own them. I don't own one or sell them, but I'm impressed. Craigen doesn't sell them. Jeff Bauer and Rich Galassini don't sell them, but do sell brands that compete with them. There was a thread on the tech forum where a tech asked for opinions of a good comtemporary Chinese line. The answers came from techs. The brand that got mentioned was Hailun, in more than one reply.

If you don't like Hailun, you should come out and say it. Might be good to say why. I don't see much sense in speculating about 'niceness' and a some kind of silent majority afraid to speak out.

#81583 - 05/10/08 03:12 AM Re: Hailun pianos
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
If you don't like Hailun, you should come out and say it. Might be good to say why. I don't see much sense in speculating about 'niceness' and a some kind of silent majority afraid to speak out. [/b]
I've only seen one Hailun that was uncrated and set up with no prep this piano was being exhibited at a conference. So I do not have enough experience to judge one way or another.

I don't agree with everything I read on this forum, some stuff I read is plain spin. I generally don't say anything if I disagree with a point of view about a certain product, why? I don't need the criticism of another opposing view and then get into a fight about it. So perhaps there are others that feel the same way, perhaps not, and I am the only one with thin skin.

It was just a thought. :rolleyes:

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#81584 - 05/10/08 09:51 AM Re: Hailun pianos
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hey Rod,

A piano from China set up as a conference exhibit with no prep doesn't sound like a great idea. I hope they had a 'Do not touch' sign on it.

I agree with you about the spin. It would be impossible for a thread this long not to have been coaxed along with a little spin. Maybe someone will come in and start taking a sledgehammer to Hailun. Of course that could be spin too.

Personally, I don't think you have thin skin. You always seem to keep your cool. Maybe you're a reptile. \:D

#81585 - 05/10/08 05:13 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Frank Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Hi Rod,
I think I read here somewhere you will at PTG Conference at Anaheim this summer.
Possible Hailun will be there, I know we wil be.
I know many will be. Pop around and have a look.
Prepped or not, it will give you a taste.

#81586 - 05/10/08 05:23 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline

When we make a decision to carry a brand, we look at a lot more factors than one single piano by the maker.

In fact, those who *do* are often the ones condemned to lag behind in this industry, similiarly to a tourist visitng a country and making a judgement on its people after meeting the first passport officer.

For us, it's at least as important to look at the people[/b] and especially the brains of the owner[/b]of a company.

Here's an excerpt by Yat-Lam Hong RPT, who wrote this in the latest Piano Technician's Journal, dated April 2008:

Quote:
If you know Mr. Chen [owner of Hailun] in any depth, you'll come away with one or two distinct impressions. If you like the guy, you'd call him a 'visionary'. If you don't, you'd call him a 'megalomaniac'. What you think of him makes no difference to him, one one thing is certain.If I were a pianomanufacturer,I'd start getting very nervous right now. Formidable competition is on its way. So,is Hailun the best Chinese piano today? I don't know. But if it isn't it has to rank among the very best China has to offer. If you ever have an opportunity to check out this piano, don't miss it.[/b]
Norbert

#81587 - 05/10/08 06:19 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
Hi Rod,
I think I read here somewhere you will at PTG Conference at Anaheim this summer.
Possible Hailun will be there, I know we wil be.
I know many will be. Pop around and have a look.
Prepped or not, it will give you a taste. [/b]
Yes I will be there.
The confirmed exhibiting manufactures as of now are:

Baldwin
Bluthner
Boston
Charles Walter
Essex
Feurich
Hailun
Heintzman
Kawai
Mason & Hamlin
Pearl River
Petrof
Ravenscroft
Samick
Sauter
Steingraeber & Sohne
Steinway & Sons
Yamaha
Young Chang

Did I miss any?

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#81588 - 10/10/08 12:02 AM Re: Hailun pianos
Ken Francis Offline

Loc: SW Pennsylvania
I am looking forward to the delivery of a Hailun H1E in December; instant gratification aside, I am moving in November and didn't want to have to move the piano in twice, so I purchased via a layaway plan so I wouldn't succumb to the temptation to have it delivered to the old house now. I am patiently waiting for December to roll around...
Anyone else make a recent Hailun purchase?
I'd like to hear some impressions from recent Hailun purchasers.
Thanks in Advance!

C. Ken Francis
A true newbie piano student

#81589 - 10/10/08 01:32 AM Re: Hailun pianos
Norbert Offline

Quote:
I'd like to hear some impressions from recent Hailun purchasers.
Me too.

Too bad that the last three of our last pianist customers this week alone aren't reading here.

Perhaps it wopuld help if this website would also appear in German, Vietnamese and Chinese.....

Norbert ;\)

#81590 - 10/20/08 04:53 PM Re: Hailun pianos
Ken Francis Offline

Loc: SW Pennsylvania

#1211085 - 06/03/09 02:04 PM Re: Hailun pianos [Re: turandot]
Vigelic Offline

Loc: singapore
Originally Posted By: turandot
Hi Dave,

I'm interested in your personal connection to the Bernstein fallboard name. Does Bernstein distribute to independent Australian retailers or does it have its own retail locations? I'm curious because in the South Asia market there seems to be a big overlap in the availablility of Hailun pianos. For example, I've read in this forum that Hailun, W&L, Bernstein, and Wagner can all be found in Singapore. In the US we had availability almost exclusively through the upgraded Steigerman Premiums that Dino described. That was basically on the East and West Coast. Now we have HailunUSA filling out a dealer network in all regions and competing pretty aggressively on price. Very recently, I saw a retailer website where the only new piano line represented was Wagner, but I have no idea if that's the Hailun-built Wagner that is sold in Asia. (Dino, please correct me if I've got it wrong here.)

I don't know about Bernstein and Wagner in Singapore, but yes W&L and Hailun are sold side by side in the same showroom from the same dealer - however, they've been careful to ensure that models of the same height do not overlap. They carry a 122cm W&L and a 125cm Hailun but do not sell the opposite (ie. they claimed they would not sell a 125cm W&L or a 122cm Hailun as it wouldn't make any sense)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (A Guy, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, accordeur, ando, 38 invisible), 1426 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153690 Topics
2252949 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
04/23/14 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
04/23/14 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
04/23/14 10:00 PM
Canadian pricing for Kawai MP11?
by GWILLY
04/23/14 09:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission