Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
110 registered (Anita Potter, angga888, ando, Adypiano, 36251, 29 invisible), 1366 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 23 of 91 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#83651 - 07/19/07 01:23 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
we should have a musician's thread just for singaporeans ...

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#83652 - 07/19/07 02:44 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Deloris Offline

Loc: Malaysia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Amelialw:
we should have a musician's thread just for singaporeans ... [/b]
Oh come on.............include malaysian too!!!!! we r so near! :p

#83653 - 07/19/07 02:59 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Deloris Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rzz:
Hi,
I have to aplogise for interupting. I need some advise. I have actually enrolled my daughter (6 yrs old) for Yamaha junior course and she's been there close to 2 yrs now. The problem is she's way behind her peers in sight reading.
She's basically memorising the songs by heart. Is that the correct way?

Morever, she refused to come out to play the piano when it's her turn and shred tears every lessons. She's ok at home though, practising the songs.

I am at a loss what to do since it's abt 2 mths more to her exams.

I dont have a piano at home, basically she practises using the keybroad and we are hesitating in buying a piano as it can be a huge investment and it can go to a waste if she doesnt want to continue.

Does anyone faces similiar problems when it comes to kids? [/b]
Hi Rzz,
i would like to share some of my thoughts on ur child case. I personally feel that, kids specially young kid....age 4-6 will prefer to memorizing songs instead of play while looking at the score. For eg: twinkle twinkle little star. They knew how does the song being sing or sound, so they will "assume" that is the song they hear and that is the way they should play, which is not correct.

Some kids also will ask their teacher to play or demo a particular song to them 1st, before they themselves try out on the piano. Well, don't be surprise a good player can only play by ears and not reading any notes from the song book.

As for me, i'm a lazy bum too because so many "taugeh" on the score...sometimes feel very frustrated and lasy to count!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha.... however, i found out that, if i read notes more often, when ever there is a new piece to put infront of me, i can play it just like i've practise the song b4. Most of us will be scare if there is a new song put infront of us, and say "pls play this song" . Well,the 1st thing in the mind will be "Die...nv play this song b4...how la...later play wrong notes....so pai seh...wah...so many sharp and flats......"

I prefer to learn from the book, then memorize. If i make some mistake....i can figure out which bar i was.

Those were my thoughts.............. :rolleyes:

#83654 - 07/19/07 03:07 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
singapore qualified technician Offline

Loc: singapore
Hi SQtech, understand that K50 is being replaced by the K5. Does that mean it is better to buy the K5 instead of the K50 as the latter would be discontinued in production just like the U2?

the new k5 i yet to try so cant commend how good or better then assisting or not i really dont know,maybe any kawai technician from japan pls comment .

but 1 typical example, of yamaha (A) U1 9 to 15 years old,compare to a (B) 1 to 5 years old,i kind of like the 9 to 15 years one by toner quality,
and 1 big different i check is the back post or the pillar of the piano ,piano A is made of solid wood where as piano B is all join by thin pieces of wood together,
lets request some comparision from some technician who are well versed with these 2 piano to comments,helps please any technician out there

#83655 - 07/19/07 05:09 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by singapore qualified technician:
Hi SQtech, understand that K50 is being replaced by the K5. Does that mean it is better to buy the K5 instead of the K50 as the latter would be discontinued in production just like the U2?

the new k5 i yet to try so cant commend how good or better then assisting or not i really dont know,maybe any kawai technician from japan pls comment .

but 1 typical example, of yamaha (A) U1 9 to 15 years old,compare to a (B) 1 to 5 years old,i kind of like the 9 to 15 years one by toner quality,
and 1 big different i check is the back post or the pillar of the piano ,piano A is made of solid wood where as piano B is all join by thin pieces of wood together,
lets request some comparision from some technician who are well versed with these 2 piano to comments,helps please any technician out there [/b]
Discontinued.... sound like the Honda Concerto model years ago... in hokkien, it sounds like KongSiToh, company bankrupt!! hahakaka

Why Kawai offer so many models? So many updates.
Super confusing man... is there a table of models, year and specf available?
Is like, yes we have a 1.6L engine model, what you want??? ABS?? EDB??? SRS Airbag??? 16"wheels or stock 15"?? you want spare steering wheel??? oh you want this, that'll be this model x code x options = model number.

Yamaha models are easier to select.
U1J = Altis
U1 = corolla - made in Jeepon
U3 = Picnic
U5 = ESTIMA
No question, all models have SRS, ABS,
bridgestone tyres, leather seat, nonolux solarfilm, 100000km warranty, free 3 servicing.

#83656 - 07/19/07 03:26 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

[/QUOTE] Hi,
I have to aplogise for interupting. I need some advise. I have actually enrolled my daughter (6 yrs old) for Yamaha junior course and she's been there close to 2 yrs now. The problem is she's way behind her peers in sight reading.
She's basically memorising the songs by heart. Is that the correct way?
Morever, she refused to come out to play the piano when it's her turn and shred tears every lessons. She's ok at home though, practising the songs.
I am at a loss what to do since it's abt 2 mths more to her exams.
I dont have a piano at home, basically she practises using the keybroad and we are hesitating in buying a piano as it can be a huge investment and it can go to a waste if she doesnt want to continue.
Does anyone faces similiar problems when it comes to kids? [QUOTE]

One thing about little kids, majority of them always memorize things really easily, you shoul'dnt let your little girl do that though, because it will become a habit. One thing that might help alot would be for you to buy a pack of notecards, make up a system for her to learn the notes properly. I have 2 6 year old students I used this for and they found it really fun or really motivating.

Yes I have come across many little kids like that, I myself used to be like that. The reason why i'm telling you that you should correct this problem is that no one corrected me till I was 16 when I came to canada. When I started under my present teacher, she noticed that I was playing everything by heart so I had to relearn many skills, technique etc...

Maybe your little girl feels shy having to play the keyboard in front or with so many peers. Maybe you should consider enrolling her with a private teacher.

#83657 - 07/21/07 09:33 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

I think every child has their own way. Just let them develope naturally, don't measure them using the normal progressing standard.
I have been with my private tutor for about 9 months now. She will spend 30-40 minutes in every lesson to teach me skills and technics such as how to use the correct force. I don't have to do those scales and arpegios. I can't remember any scores even during my low grade days, I think that's why my sight reading is pretty good.

#83658 - 07/23/07 02:20 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Glad to hear that all of you are enjoying playing piano - what a wonderful instrument for a wide range of skills from simple Bach minute in G to Piano concertos \:D

Lets stand up for 10sec and clap 10times to the invention of the pianoforte!! n sit down n get back to work !!!!

*music to the soul

#83659 - 07/24/07 08:54 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
rzz Offline

Hi,
thank you all for your valueable advise. My girl will end her 2 years course in Yamaha in Sept and after a chat with most of the parents in class, it seems no one will be continuing the group class afterwhich.

Most of them will be enrolling for a 1-1 lesson with a private teacher. Now I m considering that as well. I heard that 1-1 lesson only abt 0.5hr. Is that sufficent?

Anyone knows a school that conducts 1-1 and what are the costs like?

thanks

#83660 - 07/24/07 09:03 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

half- an hour is sufficent especially for a 6 yrs old kid. Kids are not able to concentrate for longer time spans like teens or adults.

Commonwealth Plaza has a music school with private music teachers. My sister's friend teaches there. i might be able to find out what the rates are like.

#83661 - 07/25/07 09:15 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
rzz Offline

Hi,

Anyone can tell me, what do you think of BS-1A, 13 years old kawai, selling for $3,500?

#83662 - 07/26/07 09:53 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

hehehe..... my dream have come true
The brand is "Steal Chicken" in chinese
To, steal.
Kai, chicken.
What a strange name. It's 170cm, and the cheapest japanese grand i can find. It is fully financed from the tunings i earned.. hehehe

tuning hammer shaping, aligment, regulating, voicing in progress

#83663 - 07/26/07 10:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Oh, a Tokai piano! Congralation!

#83664 - 07/26/07 08:42 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
rzz Offline

Wow! congratulations! It's very impressive.

I need some assistance here regarding purchasing a piano as I m clueless when it comes to buying a 2nd hand piano.

U3 1043320 (abt 30year old) - $2800.00
Kawai 13 years Bs- 1A - $3500.00

any one got any views on this? I need some recommendation on a 1-1 private tutor for my girl as well.. I'm staying in sengkang and currently I do not have a piano at home, just a keybroad. My girl is 6 and her gp lessons will end this sept.
It will make sense for me to send her to the tutor home very saturday for practise. Anyone can help me? Anyone knows any school that conducts 1-1. Looking for a patient and loving female teacher, my girl is extremely shy and cried in class often during her 2 years in yamaha.

I'm getting a headache looking for teacher.

#83665 - 07/26/07 09:24 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

rzz,

As always, we try our best to help.
Pianos, like cars, you need to test drive it, ECP, CTE, BKE, mount faber slop(QQ cannot make it), listen to road noise, engine noise, suspension comfort, power steering, steering feedback, braking power...

For pianos, at least press a few notes at the center portion, listen to the tone, if it's harsh or comfortable. Press the key to feel it response to different finger strength.... see the inside for any serious wear and tear... hammer wear.... and 30 other items to check!!! so many things to check before deciding which piano to buy.

I'm afraid nobody dare to suggest which model is better before looking, hearing and touching it.
But generally, both Yamaha and Kawai are reputable and reliable brands, just like toyota and honda.

Where did you see this 2 model?
Perhaps if i pass by, i can check it out and give you a mini review? the exterior is only 5% of the total score.

For tutoring 1-1... i might not help much.
I have a client's daugther studying grade 5. Teacher is australian, come to her place, 1 session $60, so 1 mth is about $240.
Maybe grade 1 no need so expensive. Average 1-1 student home teaching is ~$80-100. But from what i know, have to hunt around as teachers are always fully booked. Wonder why, too many student? not enough teachers? don't know...

Amelia, any news for rzz?

#83666 - 07/26/07 09:46 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi rzz, you've got Private Mail!!

i'll sent you 2 teachers contacts referal by my cousin to you. Do call them and check it out \:D

#83667 - 07/27/07 03:00 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
rzz Offline

Hi snoopycar,

Thank you for your recommendation. called up the 2 teachers, unfortunately they are much too far? Anyone you know in the east area?

thks.

#83668 - 07/27/07 11:36 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
WCH Offline

Loc: SINGAPORE

#83669 - 07/30/07 02:06 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

What's happening..... \:D

Wanton Noodle good recommendation!
Cantonese "Botak" at upper pierce reservoir kopi shop. The char siew and chilli is marvellous. Try the prawn dumpling too. After 5pm, free parking.

yawn......

#83670 - 07/30/07 11:39 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
WCH Offline

Does anyone know where to find Baldwin (new & old) upright piano in Singapore ?

#83671 - 07/31/07 05:00 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow, Baldwin Piano... hunt for you lor
Where's your U1?
Could kindly share with us how come you're looking for a special brand piano? Is it the tone is special? Looks? Nostalgic? Powderful?
Broadway sound?

thks

#83672 - 07/31/07 12:16 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
WCH Offline

I had the chance to play an upright Baldwin when I was in America. Was amazed by the clear and powerful tone.

Wonder why nobody mention this brand. Most of the discussion are mostly focused on Japanese or German made piano.

My U1 is still with me. Still trying to get used to the tone, which is rather volatile. Hates it when it sounds bright. Must be the humidity ...

#83673 - 08/03/07 06:54 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi NW

I found a old Baldwin for you, about 115 or 120cm not too sure. It's exterior need to be done up. But the inside Action looks ok. It's low price before "spring cleaning" If you're keen, i can pass you the contacts. You can speak to the shop owner and see how much he charge to the job \:D

cheers

#83674 - 08/03/07 11:17 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

HI snoopycar, so how do you feel about the Baldwin? Please share your comments. How is your grand doing? Is it a new one? How much u paid for u? More pic pls?

#83675 - 08/03/07 02:54 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi jarjar, the baldwin wasn't in good shape to determine, it need to go through army training first.. hehehe. Well it wasn't in tuned as it was left as it is, it need to be clean up, tune up, regulate before i can tell how good it is. But as i press some keys, it sounds.. at least the soundboard is working, haha.

Need to ask if NW is interested to invest first and find out what's his budget to get it up.

Oh my grand? it's second hand lah, action is a little noisy, little click clark here and there, "cheap" "cheap"... but it play ok. Keytouch is more meaty. Sound is different from upright as the sound comes from the front and it's loud - free piano music(noise) for the neighbours.

Wait, after i polish the strings, then i post more ok? it's just an ordinary piano design horizontally - like apollo chocolate. Kawai is like cadbury !!!

can we have your pic too, pose with the K.Kawai lah... ok go go

#83676 - 08/03/07 05:23 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
WCH Offline

Thanks snoopy for taking the trouble...

No lah, that Baldwin looks as if it needs an "extreme" makeover. :-p
By the way, where is that shop ? Are there any Baldwin authorized dealer in S'pore ?

Surprise to see a "Shroud" in your website. I used to have one too. Bought it from "Eagle Piano". It comes with 3 pedals. Tone is on the brighter side. Touch is rather stiff and heavy.

#83677 - 08/04/07 12:13 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

No problems; it's an export piano, meaning the condition is as-is. Probably not many baldwin buyer for a "extreme make over" hehehe, waiting for sponsors.. Not so extreme lah, too exagrated leow. I'm not sure of any baldwin authorize dealer here. I PM you lor.

Yah, there are still some Shroud around, getting rare each day, even the old kemble is getting arthrittis, hehehe

Stick to the U1(my favortie) Try to overcome the pp part. Do you want to put bean bags at the key rear to make your U1 touch heavier? \:D wah-haha

#83678 - 08/04/07 09:57 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Thanks for the update snoopycar. I just noticed that you have a website. The pictures are amazing and I saw there is a Bosendorfer? Thank you NW for highlighting. I think the white Nordiska is nice.

Now is a little update on my Kawai GM10. I just got my 1st tuning after it has been delivered about 6 weeks. Everything went fine until the tech adjusted the sustain pedal. While he was adjusting the pedal, I highlighted to him that the pedal is noisy. Then he put a little piece of cloth on it to try to damper the sound. Even it is small but I still can hear the sound. After he went off, I tried my piano. Oh my gosh, the pedal is disturing! I keep on hearing 'tuk tuk' and 'yik yik' sound from it. Maybe it could be like that on my previous Challen but definately not on the Kawai baby grand. I don't mind the pedal is a bit heavy but no point to adjust it if there is extra noise coming out from the pedal. Sounds should only come out from the soundboard and not the pedal.

I was so excited to wait till the piano get tuned but now i don't feel like i want to touch it because of the 'tuk tuk yik yik' sound.

Jess, it this the best tech you have?

#83679 - 08/04/07 10:09 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Snooycar,
I just read the 'About' in your website. You had a Steiner b4? My very 1st piano was a Steiner too! I bought it for RM2500 in 1990 from a 2nd hand piano dealer. It had been with me until last year which I sold it for RM1000 to my colleague and got the Challen. I dunno its country of origin and that time, the dealer said it was French made. . Anyway, I was just 15 back then.

Still nobody to take the picture of me with my Kawai yet \:\(

#83680 - 08/04/07 02:41 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi jarjar, during that time, i still didn't know about yamaha piano yet, i thought yamaha only makes motorcycle as i was riding a RD125Lc that time. But heard from my wify, in JB last time, they only knew yamaha makes piano!! So opposite from my knowledge.

Did tech try to adjust the damper pedal stopper?
Ask tech to check it out when he pass by. Leverage point works best pivioting, should rub against side. yik yik yak yak, aiyo so annoying.. play piece pedal-less for the time being.

Aiyo... nowadays even phone camera got self-timer mah... nevermind lah, i know u shy to be in the forum... not like me thick skin \:D (let you off)

Recommend you 1 nice song, Richard clayderman Souvenirs D' enfrance.

Page 23 of 91 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
17 minutes 37 seconds ago
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
Today at 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
Today at 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
Today at 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160033 Topics
2350120 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission