Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 91 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#83081 - 11/12/06 09:38 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
 Quote:
Originally posted by snoopycar:
Digitus, are you Artemov??
[/b]
Heh heh...no I'm not! Really really....

Quote:

Twice, little pretty girl stand beside me to watch... :0 "wow this old uncle can play or what"?? too young, no HP no... hehehe
[/b]
Shame on you for even thinking it!

Quote:

Digitus, i also started playing in around ~'85
Now, i still have get even grade 3 !!! and still learning scale - just can't get my Dbminor 3 ocatve right yet... more drills tonight. You made the right choice coming back, somemore with a new piano man.... Welcome back to piano world... did you suddenly became romantic? need to express you feelings -- ?? ;] [/b]
And I'm sure you are enjoying every minute of the struggle!

As for myself, some people say its part of the mid-life crisis. :p But it has more to do with the fact that I really[/b] needed to get a better work/life balance. I decided to consider buying a piano after a I nearly quit my job because of a particularly heavy period on the road. (I use Singapore Airlines like a very expensive bus service!)

So I fished out some old sheet music and my old copy of Hanon. The first week with just the first 5 exercises in Hanon was filled with frustration and aching forearms! When I saw how much progress I was making I decided to bite the financial bullet and get a piano. So here I am 1.5 weeks later with a K-8 on the way, spending 2.5 times more than my initial budget for a used piano. :p

Actually I struggle a lot on the keyboard, because I have grand ambitions with the repertoire, but I am disadvantaged by small hands (for a pianist) and slim fingers. So I stopped taking exams after Grade 5, but continued with lessons up to about Grade 8 level, playing purely for pleasure.

There, end of grandmother story! \:D

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#83082 - 11/12/06 09:43 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

snoopycar, just PM'd you.

#83083 - 11/12/06 10:00 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mendo:
now artemov is anxious
well, if you can wait, take your time.
[/b]
I think artemov is thinking of waiting until early next year when Pianoman brings in Brodmann pianos. I had considered waiting too, but the itch had grown too strong.

Quote:

you won't need a BB or Steinway D to play fur elise. i'm still practising my rach and chopin on my 30yr old kawai and have no problem.
[/b]
Spot on!

Quote:

just personnally a slightly, more improved actions compare to my existing one would be a bit more perfect and that's why i'm still in this piano forum.
[/b]
That's one reason that got me interested in Kawai, after I tried a 15 year-old BS-3A in Pianoman. Since this purchase is likely to last me a lifetime (unless I win the lottery!) I decided to stretch my budget for the best I could afford, with an action that is good and also able to better withstand the high humidity in Singapore. Yamaha also uses composites in their action, but I like the Kawai tone a lot more.

Quote:

since so many people are getting from one shop, may as well meet up to get a good bargain. [/b]
Spoken like a true Singaporean. Quick, before I pay up the balance! \:D

#83084 - 11/12/06 11:28 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ya, cheaper leh... budget tight... the other shop selling 1k less leh... my friend introduce one leh, cheaper leh - i cash & carry, no need warranty, i tune myself... don't count GST leh..
Got installment boh? Courts also have leh.

Later he will ask me go fly kite!! \:\)

Wow carbon reinforce action - hi tech, cutting edge technology(faster repetition).. drool

Why can't they deliver sooner? 20th Nov a lucky day? hmmm is it your birthday present? Every boy thinks of a good reason to buy toys..

"Great" 8, GREAT!! lucky no. i'm striving for that too. my target is by 75 years old.

That right, we're here to enjoy piano music, for pleasure, leisure, entertainment(nope neigbour don't complaint), no need to stress. no need teacher, DIY.

Happy shopping guys

#83085 - 11/13/06 12:50 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
mendo Offline

u mean besides robert piano, there someone else selling the k8?

#83086 - 11/13/06 01:10 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ya, cheaper leh... budget tight... the other shop selling 1k less leh... my friend introduce one leh, cheaper leh - i cash & carry, no need warranty, i tune myself... don't count GST leh..

Wow carbon reinforce action - hi tech, cutting edge technology(faster repetition).. drool

Why can't they deliver sooner? 20th Nov a lucky day? hmmm is it your birthday present? Every boy thinks of a good reason to buy toys..

"Great" 8, GREAT!! lucky no. i'm striving for that too. my target is by 75 years old.

That right, we're here to enjoy piano music, for pleasure, leisure, entertainment(nope neigbour don't complaint), no need to stress. no need teacher, DIY.

Happy shopping guys [/b]
They have a tie-in with Citibank's time payment scheme. There may be tie-ups with other credit card vendors as well.

20th November because I'm travelling on biz this week, test piano in showroom on 18th, deliver on 20th. 19th delivery not possible because of other personal commitments. \:\)

#83087 - 11/13/06 02:04 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
mendo Offline

is there any discounts for showroom pieces?

#83088 - 11/13/06 03:01 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
is there any discounts for showroom pieces? [/b]
For sure you'll get the discount off list price, but whether you'll get any more off for showroom units is something you'll have to ask Mr Chiu (if you are in the Millenia Walk showroom). All pricing decisions are referred back to him, as far as I can tell. \:\)

#83089 - 11/13/06 03:11 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
u mean besides robert piano, there someone else selling the k8? [/b]
Apparently so. Probably a parallel imports with no manufacturer warranty. But that usually isn't a major factor because Kawai's QC levels are very high. I recall seeing an advertisement in Section 72 (Musical Instruments) of the ST Classifieds about a shop in IMM importing Yamaha, Kawai, etc.

One reason I bought from RP is Mr Chiu himself. He's a master tech with more years than my age (which is approaching the magical half-century mark).

#83090 - 11/13/06 03:15 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Digitus:
 Quote:

Happy shopping guys [/b]
They have a tie-in with Citibank's time payment scheme. There may be tie-ups with other credit card vendors as well.

20th November because I'm travelling on biz this week, test piano in showroom on 18th, deliver on 20th. 19th delivery not possible because of other personal commitments. \:\) [/b]
Oh sorry, I was referring to RP about the instalment plan thing. I didn't see Mendo's question about the 'other' shop until now. :p

#83091 - 11/13/06 03:44 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Hi Digitus, may I know the price of the Kawai K8 too? Thanks.

#83092 - 11/13/06 03:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Mendo,

I have no reference point for prices because I didn't have any until a week or two ago. So I can't comment on prices before and after availability of the new K series.

Yes, I was quoted a lower price for the K80E than the K-8. My assumption (which may be wrong) is that the K-8 has replaced the K80E at the price point that competes against the Yamaha U5 (and now YUS5).

#83093 - 11/13/06 04:12 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jarjar:
Hi Digitus, may I know the price of the Kawai K8 too? Thanks. [/b]
jarjar, I have PM'd you.

#83094 - 11/13/06 04:42 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Digitus for the PM.

Hope you all won't find my sense of humour irritating, \:\) .... Piano is seriously fun.
Just trying to inject some comedy and make the reading filled with laugther, that's if i got the frequency right with everyone...

EYE-M-M , huh? I can hear unison beating when i hear one. Will someone help to go down to press a few keys and verify, as a second opinion? I can't comment much. But please, someone go down and check it out and see if it's the same experience response i get. I wanted to say alot, but can't. I can't say good or bad. But it can be a very interesting one.

Me?? Thinking about what?? (innocent)
I have only 1 piano idol, she's in Juliet now.
Wonder how she's doing..... no update at the website... She inspired in to return to piano... oops my secret have been revealed..

#83095 - 11/13/06 04:52 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Hi Digitus,
Thank you very much for your PM. It is a lot cheaper than in Malaysia!

#83096 - 11/13/06 06:16 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jarjar,

You are welcome! I can't believe that the K-8 is so costly in Malaysia! If you want something in the same class (but with differnet tone) as the K-8 then look at the Yanaha YUS5. If the YUS5 is similarly priced then you are out of luck.

#83097 - 11/13/06 07:35 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
mendo Offline

Quote:

If you want something in the same class (but with differnet tone) as the K-8 then look at the Yanaha YUS5. [/b]
ha, not even close to the k80 class.

#83098 - 11/13/06 07:37 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
mendo Offline

hi snoopycar,

what's with imm?

#83099 - 11/13/06 07:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:

If you want something in the same class (but with differnet tone) as the K-8 then look at the Yanaha YUS5. [/b]
ha, not even close to the k80 class. [/b]
Oooh.... But that's what the K-8 is positioned against in Singapore. I wonder if Kawai Malaysia mis-quoted jarjar on the K-8 price.

#83100 - 11/13/06 08:04 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
mendo Offline

yeah, i was telling someone from RP that their kawais are already overpriced during the last GSS where yamaha prices are dropping like mad and continue until today.

10-30years ago, there around 10-20% premium on yamaha over kawai, and very soon you'll see the reverse.

personally i believe kawai not only have overtaken yamahas in action, sound texture and dynamics on their uprights, but also the concert grands.

but the fact that they spend so little on adverts means they should still keep price down as before and this is what irks me.

the nonchalant attitude at the shops didn't help either to some beginner buyers, like artemov.

#83101 - 11/13/06 09:23 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

For the past couple of years Norbert has been predicting a disruption in the market as the Chinese OEMs get better and better at making high-quality instruments. We've seen the Japanese and Taiwanese do it in the consumer electronics industry, for example.

It looks like Yamaha has already been reacting to this market movement. My guess is that Kawai has also seen the writing on the wall, if the pricing of the K-8 in Singapore is anything to go by. According to jarjar the price of the K-8 in Malaysia is about double that in Singapore, but it's probably just a matter of time before Kawai Malaysia has to adjust their pricing downwards signficantly.

I was briefly intrigued by the imminent arrival of Brodmann in Singapore next January. But my personal feeling is that the price premium of the Kawai K-8 over the Chinese-made Brodmann BU132 is worth paying for. I appreciate the way Kawai has used technology in making an upright with great tone and a fantastic action that is better able to withstand our tropical climate.

There is a great deal of subjectivity of course, because there is a strong emotional component in the way a person reacts to any particular instrument.

#83102 - 11/13/06 09:51 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

I try my best not to post unfavorable comments to any shops. I've joked about style of sales, enviroment, experience... but i better not joke about imm. .... aaaa are you from imm??

Aiya, go and look-see-look-see lah - wah alot of nice ebony polish...
Aiya, go and press-press-massage-massage the sound lah .....

I have ask, aa? how come like this?? It's not XXXX leh. It's like this one, after you buy, then we XXXX it lor. So cold.......

Can Mendo volentier to go imm to check it out? just for fun and learning experience?

#83103 - 11/13/06 05:23 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
mendo Offline

which floor?
never see before even though have been there many times.

#83104 - 11/13/06 06:11 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mendo: you have to go to the "back lane" of 3rd flr. Semi warehouse-like area. Take the main wakalator, behind the swingdoor, beside the passenger lift. or see Sat classified ads for address. you gotta recky around man..... it's an jungle out there \:\)

#83105 - 11/13/06 10:44 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
mendo Offline

you are saying they got brand new kawais or yamahas over there?

#83106 - 11/13/06 11:21 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

No.... Japan imports.

#83107 - 11/14/06 12:20 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
No.... Japan imports. [/b]
So are these re-conditioned pianos or new ones?

#83108 - 11/14/06 02:33 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
artemov Offline

Haha ... I am not anxious lah.
Too busy these days with work.

Looks like I am the absolute beginner. Can't even play do-re-mi \:\(

Great to see that at least two Sg forummers have bought their pianos.

For me, might have to wait, but certainly not till next year! GST 7%!!!!

Got lobang to buy a used European piano \:\) Woohoo!

#83109 - 11/14/06 02:49 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by artemov:

Got lobang to buy a used European piano \:\) Woohoo! [/b]
Oh, I forgot about the GST increase!!

So which piano have you got the lobang for? Are you going to take lessons, or are you going to DIY?

#83110 - 11/14/06 03:11 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by artemov:
Haha ... I am not anxious lah.
Too busy these days with work.

Looks like I am the absolute beginner. Can't even play do-re-mi \:\(

Great to see that at least two Sg forummers have bought their pianos.

Got lobang to buy a used European piano \:\) Woohoo! [/b]
Have...
http://www.pianoforte-sg.com
They have nostalgical European used/recondition grands and upright. Give Mervin a e-mail, very nice and honest guy.

Page 4 of 91 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (ADWyatt, Almaviva, ando, 43 invisible), 1790 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153629 Topics
2251694 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CA95 noisy front rail
by lolatu
49 minutes 30 seconds ago
It's not so simple as the 10,000 hour rule.
by Brad Hoehne
Today at 10:43 AM
Day brightener
by Chuck Behm
Today at 10:09 AM
Paris Atelier
by Beemer
Today at 09:20 AM
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
Today at 09:12 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission