Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 88 of 91 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 >
Topic Options
#1666748 - 04/26/11 09:03 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
fj_s Offline

Loc: Singapore
How much they fetch depends on their age, and how good they play! smile If you think the prices are too high, try bargaining.

Have you tried the other shops suggested in the thread? They may be worth looking at too. Whether you buy brand new or not is up to your taste, as well as your views on the warranty vis-a-vis perceived brand reliability.

Mozart: Sonata in D Major, k576
Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat major, Op 53
Berg: Sonata in B minor, Op 1
Bach: Partita in C Minor, BWV 826

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1667438 - 04/27/11 12:15 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

got hand-me-down piano beri good aredi...hehe i;m thinking
test yr child to play all keys, major, minor harmonic, melodic, 4 octave hands together in similar motion... stacato, in lagato... if student can do that, sign of great interest of mastering the piano, time to get a good piano smile many good music waiting to be played at your home

just a thought

#1694106 - 06/12/11 12:00 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
windrider Offline

Hi everyone!

My interest in piano started a few months back and i have been practicing on a keyboard (DGX-620 Portable Grand). I'm looking forward to learning piano for grading up to diploma level

At the moment i am trying to convinced my parents on investing in an acoustic piano and was given a budget of 8-9k to work on. I'm currently looking at a few models namely the KAWAI K-8, KAWAI K-6 and YAMAHA YUS5. However, due to my budget constraint i m not able to secure a new set. Therefore, I hope you guys can shed some light on 2nd hand piano purchase and if possible answer a few question that i have:
1) Reliable second hand shop in SG that carries Kawai
2) What to look out for when buying a 2nd hand piano (or do i need to hire a piano technician?)

P.S I called Piano Gallery and enquired about a used K-8 and was quoted a price of 8k+ for a 2-3yrs old piano. Do advise on whether this is a good buy?

Thanks!

Edited by hehehahahoho (06/12/11 12:13 AM)

#1694375 - 06/12/11 02:16 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
By now somebody here could have been a concert pianist....

Norbert wink

#1695263 - 06/14/11 01:40 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
fj_s Offline

The K8, K6 and YUS5 are all quite nice. What the price for second hand should be really depends on the condition of the piano, which you should ascertain and play for yourself. You should go to a few places to look; the thread also suggests Asia Piano, Emmanuel, Pianomaster, etc etc, which is ok for your budget.

That said, the prices are such that you can start considering a small baby grand if you have space. They would have a weaker bass than the k8 and Yus5 (both of which are very powerful pianos if you have a small space), but usually a more responsive touch, and the sound is less in your face vis an upright.

#1696075 - 06/15/11 01:06 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
windrider Offline

Thanks fj_s, i shall go take a look at those shops. Due to space constraint i think i will still go with an upright piano.

#1707547 - 07/04/11 11:50 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Mugen Offline

Have anyone heard of Harrison Piano? Maybe would consider get Hailun 125 in which there is 10 years warranty & after 5 years there is buy back scheme from Piano Master.

Those 20-30 years old Japanese piano like Kawai, Yamaha cost like $4K to $6K in which wonder would it be a good buy.

#1712979 - 07/14/11 01:40 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Jay Online   content

Loc: AUD
last week i was at robert pianos, shock to find that he is no longer the steinway agent in singapore, who taken over?

#1713761 - 07/15/11 10:01 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Jay]
WCH Offline

Loc: SINGAPORE
You may visit Steinway Gallery (Singapore) at "Palais Renaissance" #01-02

#1715614 - 07/18/11 10:32 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: WCH]
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

shock ?? watts the voltage ?? ac or dc?

#1715978 - 07/18/11 09:48 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Jay Online   content

Loc: AUD
yeah... shock wave... i tot keller pianos (robert's father) started the steinway in singapore and later robert (son) took over the agency. not mistaken steinway pianos in singapore was doing not bad and knowing steinway doesnt change distributor often.... wonder what happened...

#1716170 - 07/19/11 06:10 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
WCH Offline

Loc: SINGAPORE
Clips of the opening ceremony of Steinway Gallery are in YOuTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JilwA85JgSc Enjoy the performance

Edited by WCH (07/19/11 06:17 AM)

#1723733 - 07/30/11 08:48 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: fj_s]
freezeat2 Offline

Hi
I am also looking around for second hand piano.
Was quoted $5k for a Kawai OP-32 model about 24 yr old. Anyone heard about this model? I searched the net but cannot find any information about this model.

Any comments?

#1731625 - 08/12/11 10:30 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
lww_my Offline

Loc: --select--
Hi,
Please feel free to visit www.pianomalaysia.com. There are quite a number of recon pianos (uprights & grands) for sale. Mainly Kawai & Yamaha brands. No problem exporting to Singapore.

#1744909 - 09/02/11 03:13 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
rayquek Offline

Hi!

This is the first post that I wrote. I had read some of the post but still having the same problem which faced by some.

I wanted to buy a new piano for my daughter and currently I had narrowed down to Kawai K3 or K5. Initially, I'm thinking of U1 Yamaha but the sound is brighter than Kawai. I have a few questions to ask and hope to hear some advices.

1) Is K3 enough for a beginner? I don't intend to change piano so hope that it can last her till Diploma level.
2) I had heard the sound of K5 which I prefer it than K3 but is it worth to spend 1k plus for it?
3) Any other brands which is as good or better than Kawai K5 worth to consider? I had heard of Bohemia, 'Petro' and Seuter. How are these compare to Kawai K5?
4) Where can I find those dealers for other brands in Singapore?
5) When is the best time to buy from Kawai or other brands? When will normally Kawai or other brands have promotion sales?

Hope to hear answers from the experts or experience people. Thanks in advance!

#1751575 - 09/12/11 09:18 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Tabomama Offline

Dear all, i hope to have some advice from all of the experts here. I was quoted US 4000 (Ard SGD 4200) for a Yamaha X series that is approx 35 yrs old (according to the serial number)
The condition is good, touch is good, just that at the side there is metal pole? where the end of the pole is a bit rusty.
Should i go ahead with this, the so called upright grand or get a cheaper HL125 or even a Perzina?

Thanks so much

#1751617 - 09/12/11 11:21 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
fj_s Offline

Ray

a. The K3 is enough for a beginner. The K5 is nicer to the touch though (less slippery keys) wink Whether a student gets to a Diploma level depends more on the student's attitude than the piano he/she is using. (Plenty of diploma students only have a U1 or K3, though they would get to practice on their teacher's grand frequently enough to get used to the touch.) However, a nicer piano would obviously allow for more sensitivity in touch and tone.

b. Bohemia, Petrof are also nice pianos. Sauter is a significant step up. I understand you also tried the Wilh Steinberg, which has a very very nice action. You may also want to try Seiler (at Cristofori).

c. Gramercy (Bohemia), Pianomaster (Hailun, Petrof, Grotrian), Cristofori (Bechstein, Seiler), Robert (Kawai, Bluthner), and of course Yamaha are good places to look. Asia Piano and Emmanuel and Sons are also good places to look for second hand ones. Promo sales happen in June and End of the year, though major holidays will have some sales too.

Tabomama

d. On warranties, it really depends who you are buying from and how comfortable you are with them. Also, it really depeneds on the condition of the piano you are buying, which there's no way of ascertaining on the internet. A new piano comes with a factory warranty though.

#1751673 - 09/13/11 01:18 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Tabomama Offline

I bought from Jesley...any reviews about this place?

#1753710 - 09/16/11 06:15 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Tabomama]
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

you've made a good choice ! laugh cheers

#1761457 - 09/29/11 01:24 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
rayquek Offline

Hi!

I had shortlisted some pianos but like to listen to your advice.

What is your opinion on these piano and after sales-service from the shop?
1) Bohemia piano (model:132 Concerto) - Gramercy
2) Petrof (model: P125) - Piano Master
3) W.Hoffmann (model: T128) - Cristofori
4) Whil.Steinberg (model: AC23) - Chiu Piano

Thanks!

#1772200 - 10/17/11 12:54 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Ryangel Offline

Are we allowed to post piano for sale here? If not pm me for info. Upright Hailun.

#1785283 - 11/08/11 12:41 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Physcentials Offline

Hi everyone,

I register myself after having read all your information hoping that I can benefit from all of you with so much knowledge about pianos.

I am planning to buy one for my kid who is diagnosed with ADHD. In short, she is super duper hyper in lay men's term. However, nothing interests her except music. The school teachers seems to have already given up on her cos they never managed to get her attention in class after so many years but the piano is the only thing that can control her actions. Plus her piano teacher told me that she is very good and picking up faster than many other kids that started the same time. So I would like her to develop herself from here if this is her passion, I want to help her develop further.

She started piano lessons 1 to 1 at her teacher's home 45 mins per week. Meaning she only touches a piano once a week. I hope to buy one so that she can practise more often. Being someone that knows nuts about piano don't make this task any easier. I hope to get a good enough piano for her but can't really afford a brand new.

My friend just bought one from Parkway Parade for 2k and it was a Korean brand. Sounds pretty good and looks good too. So I'll set my budget for 2k so at least it won't burn a whole in my pocket. I have 4 kids and also a single mom so I can't really dump everything into a piano but to spread out little by little to ensure all my kids have the essentials to develop their gifts.

Please advise me, with this little budget I have, where can I get a piano for my 8 yr old. She loves music and dance and is the only thing that can make her listen.

I read that there's a lot of brands from different makers or countries and even different height, sound, base, etc etc etc. All sounds too technical for me so perhaps one of you can tell me in simple terms what I should get for a 8 yr old that will be good enough to stay with her till she completes say grade 5-8. Not sure if this makes sense and if not let me know. She probably don't have any grades now since she started about 5-6 mths ago. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure.

I'm planning to shop around after work this Thursday plus Saturday so please let me know where is the one place that I can find many different piano shops so that with 1 trip I can visit a few and another trip with another few shops cos I don't drive either so have to leverage on their locations.

Sorry for the inconvenience cause if this is too much to ask and hope to get some really good advice soon.

Regards

Jenn

Edited by Physcentials (11/08/11 12:54 PM)

#1785491 - 11/08/11 07:26 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Physcentials Offline

Edited by Physcentials (11/08/11 07:32 PM)

#1805009 - 12/12/11 06:43 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
jjc12345 Offline

Hi all,

Has anybody been to the newly opened Steinway Galleries at Orchard? What are the price range like? Are the staff friendly?

#1805291 - 12/13/11 08:54 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
timbo77 Offline

jjc12345: I heartily recommend the Steinway Gallery. Celine is very friendly. Price-wise, I don't know what your expectations are but (for example) I believe a Model B will be closer to 200k than 150k. If you're serious about acquiring a Steinway, then don't bother seeking views on the forum: just head over there.

#1877263 - 04/11/12 03:40 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
bossie Offline

Hi everyone ...

I get my piano tuned every year around November/December since I have more time to play it and I realized the piano is out of tune. Since I switched the piano tuner from the normal one to others a few years ago , they always asked me whether I'd like to upgrade the piano. At first, I just thought to myself, this piano is still less than 10 years old. However having heard the same comments for the past three years, it is really a great temptation to upgrade especially when the Piano Book by Larry Fine for Spring/Summer had been published recently.

One brand that I'm interested to know more is Schulze Pollmann (SP). I called Music Galeria at Thomson road whether they have this brand. Unfortunately, they didn't sell it anymore. I remember they used to have good brand including Pleyel.

So I'm just wandering has anyone play SP before especially the new ones, especially the upright model, P126? I've been reading the old thread about SP for the past few days, I noticed one thing that concerns me is the touch - it is a bit stiff to some. I'm not sure if the new model with Renner action had solve this issue. Does have any experience to share?

Thanks.

#1887546 - 04/27/12 02:30 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
thepianokid27 Offline

Hi all,

Great to see so many piano enthusiasts around here smile

Glad I found this thread where most of us here are from Singapore.

I understand that having your piano prepped by a master technician can make a whole lot of difference in how well your piano can sound and play.

Does anybody know of any brilliant piano tech here in SG who can do a really stellar job at piano regulation and voicing etc?

Hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks in advance! smile

#1934020 - 07/29/12 07:48 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
@thepianokid27,

Check out Mr Tay from Pristine Piano. There's a website.

Also heard of Mr Kwan (from Emmanuel & Sons).

#1934277 - 07/29/12 05:13 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
I understand that having your piano prepped by a master technician can make a whole lot of difference in how well your piano can sound and play.

Master technician?

Must be a new species...

I know only those who do their job right - and those who don't.

Norbert

#1935261 - 07/31/12 12:07 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Jay]
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
Originally Posted By: Jay
last week i was at robert pianos, shock to find that he is no longer the steinway agent in singapore, who taken over?

Shocked or relieved?

I'm shocked the SKs are under the care of a master technician who's invisible.

Page 88 of 91 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (ando, ajames, *windowlicker*, 88 Fingers Jeff, AndreiN, 36251, 45 invisible), 1277 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157131 Topics
2307602 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission