Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
107 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, anamnesis, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1414 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 89 of 91 < 1 2 ... 87 88 89 90 91 >
Topic Options
#1935265 - 07/31/12 12:12 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: chihuahua]
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
This happened a long time ago. The new Steinway gallery is on the ground floor of Palais Renaissance, facing Orchard Road. You can't miss it!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1935523 - 07/31/12 09:58 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: chihuahua]
Jay Offline

Loc: AUD
Originally Posted By: chihuahua
[quote=Jay]
I'm shocked the SKs are under the care of a master technician who's invisible.

maybe not, likely the mpa does the piano prepping when we were asleep, in the middle of the nite..

Edited by Jay (07/31/12 10:10 PM)

#1935608 - 08/01/12 01:50 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
This thread is growing cold.

Digitus used to hold piano parties - parties where we can soil his Sauter Omega with curry sauce and oat meal. But since he'd gotten a domestic helper to take his Omega out for walks, retreated to a life of solitude ...

Snoopycar now frequent Geylang ... ahem ... JB 5 foot ways tuning people's lives and minds.

Roxane is busy earning $$$.

WzKit continues to exercise his pinky like Schumann smile

And Robert (ah ah ah HAH-CHIU!!! sorry, I've got an allergic nose so I'm sensitive to bullsh*t) needs a hearing test in the geriatric ward.

#1936294 - 08/02/12 11:06 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

oh ya hor, i saw chiwahwah there too eating expansion durian .. hehe

#1950301 - 08/28/12 10:16 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
nfshp253 Offline

Hi all. I currently have a Kawai K50-E from about 6 years ago and my tuner said that it seems like the wear-and-tear has taken quite a huge toll. The felt on the hammers are thinning away and the piano is getting gradually less and less refined. I'm doing my Diploma this year so I'm also hoping to get a better piano.

Because of space constraints (I live in an apartment where a grand piano would never fit in the elevator or the stairwell), it is not feasible for me to get a grand piano even though I would really like to get one. Anyway, they are also quite out of the price range because I'm looking for something, at the very least, comparable to the Yamaha C3.

Therefore, I'm looking for a great upright that matches my demands and needs. I've tried the Kawai K8AS and I must say the sound is absolutely stunning for an upright but I'm quite disappointed with the light touch and not very responsive touch. I've also tried an Albert Weber AW52 (made by Young Chang I think) which blew me off because of its responsiveness of the keyboard, unlike the Kawai. However, I'm a little skeptical about it because it has an extremely low price tag of $7000. I'm really tempted by its Renner action and hammers though. The sound's quite good but not as good as the Kawai. I've tried a few of Yamaha's YUS Range and I'm quite disappointed with the touch as well.

Can anyone recommend me some uprights (preferably about 52 inches tall) that I might be able to get locally? I know Steinways and the Bosendorfer 130 is good but I'll never be able to afford them as they retail for at least $70000.

Thanks in advance!

#1950324 - 08/28/12 11:05 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
Can anyone recommend me some uprights (preferably about 52 inches tall) that I might be able to get locally? I know Steinways and the Bosendorfer 130 is good but I'll never be able to afford them as they retail for at least $70000.

Ever tried some Sauters at Alvin's?

Norbert

#1950333 - 08/28/12 11:11 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Norbert]
nfshp253 Offline

Who's this Alvin everyone's talking about? Sorry I'm new here.

#1952441 - 09/01/12 05:48 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Wzkit1 Offline

After a disappearance of almost 5 years, I'm finally back! And now with a Shigeru SK-6 to accompany my Sauter as well...

Recordings on the Ibach and Sauter here: https://soundcloud.com/kit-wei-zheng

#1952449 - 09/01/12 06:20 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Wzkit1]
jazzzzville Offline

Originally Posted By: Wzkit1
After a disappearance of almost 5 years, I'm finally back! And now with a Shigeru SK-6 to accompany my Sauter as well...

Don't you like the Sauter anymore?

#1952466 - 09/01/12 07:43 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Wzkit1 Offline

Oh no, I love both! When I *was* first selecting my grand piano back in 2005, it was a close fight between Sauter and Shigeru. In the end the Sauter won out because of superior tone (to my ears), and I still feel that way. But I do think the touch of the Shigeru is more comfortable to play. So both have their strengths, and are ultimately very different pianos that suit very different kinds of music

Edited by Wzkit1 (11/18/12 10:57 AM)

#1952482 - 09/01/12 08:41 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Wzkit1]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Wzkit1
So both have their strengths, and are ultimately very different pianos that suit very different kinds of music

What kind of music do you play on your Sauter, and what kind on the Shigeru?

#1952607 - 09/01/12 02:15 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Wzkit1 Offline

Chopin, Debussy, Ravel and Mozart work very well on the Sauter's clear, sparkling, yet warm tone. For the Shigeru, its darker tone works particularly well for Rachmaninoff I think

#1987984 - 11/17/12 10:50 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
visually_blu Offline

Hi guys, my 1st post here. I'm totally new to piano playing but so looking forward to getting my 1st upright piano. Well budget is controlled as I'm a beginner hence seeking some input from the more experienced folks here.

My budget is 4K or less, cannot stretch anymore. Was crazily thinking of shelving out 9K for a new U1 but more level headed now haa.

I wonder if anyone had hands on experience with the Hailun uprights?
They certainly are within my budget bracket and had read some good reviews about them in the net. Thks in advance for your kind advices!

Regards,
V_blu

#1988008 - 11/18/12 12:40 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Norbert Offline

Quote:
Oh no, I love both! When I first selecting my grand piano back in 2005, it was a close fight between Sauter and Shigeru. In the end the Sauter won out because of superior tone (to my ears), and I still feel that way. But I do think the touch of the Shigeru is more comfortable to play. So both have their strengths, and are ultimately very different pianos that suit very different kinds of music

Thinking this is fair description.

For those interested: this was our last delivery of a new 6'1 Sauter grand few weeks ago:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1982840/3.html

Norbert smile

Edited by Norbert (11/18/12 12:43 AM)

#1988113 - 11/18/12 10:59 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Wzkit1 Offline

Nice sounding Sauter. Mine is maturing quite nicely, very beautiful, pure treble with an incredible sustain smile

#1988179 - 11/18/12 01:42 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Why does this thread have 266 pages? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Edited by ClsscLib (11/18/12 01:45 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1988451 - 11/19/12 09:22 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: ClsscLib]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
Why does this thread have 266 pages? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

It's a unique market. Singapore has a strong concentration of well-heeled and discriminating piano buyers, many of them semi-permanent foreign professionals with wallets and a love of classical music. A number of European makers who don't have much of a presence in the US now (like Sauter) have a bigger presence in Singagore. A large number of budget Chinese brands are available too, many of which are not sold in the US at all. Filling out the mix are the Japanese brands and the usual grey-market delicacies.

Even though the population of the island is only 5 mil, many piano shoppers from neighboring countries (like Malaysia) check in there when their limited local markets don't satisfy.

I thik it's more of a sub-forum than a thread, mostly locals in the know helping people not in the know. IMO one can learn a lot about trends from just lurking there.

#1988456 - 11/19/12 09:41 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

@Turandot:

You've got it exactly right! smile

#1991251 - 11/26/12 08:50 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
froufrou06 Offline

Have been referring back to this thread once every few months and I'm glad to see it has been "resuscitated" again! smile Never knew there were so many piano enthusiasts in Singapore.

My German piano is about 20+ years old and I've always loved it for its warm tone but it's been going a bit wonky of late(it's got this loud creaky sound whenever I hit a certain note) and I'm not sure if I should be refurbishing the insides(the soundboard?) or just consider getting a grand piano. I've started playing the piano quite a bit again of late so I'm seriously considering getting one, only budget-wise a bit tough cos most of the pianos I really like are beyond 30K frown 2nd hand piano wise, which pianos should I be looking at, does anyone know?

On a side note, I've tried out a few pianos previously and I think the brand new Grotrian has a lovely sound and touch.... but it's way beyond my budget of course..having said, if you guys are interested, the new Yamaha C3X(which has Bosendorfer hammer action or something, similar to the Steinway and Kawaii hybrid Boston I reckon) is worth giving a go.... i tried the C3 previously and always felt the keys felt plasticky.... but this one seems a bit different and it has a rounder tone as well.

Does anyone know where I can try for a 2nd hand grand other than Emmanuel and Sons?

Thanks!

#1991276 - 11/26/12 11:27 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
fj_s Offline

You can try Asia Piano (@ Macpherson) and also Pristine Piano (at Jurong). Pristine Piano has restored Steinways, while Asia Piano would have an assortment of second-hand grand pianos depending on what is on hand.

Mozart: Sonata in D Major, k576
Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat major, Op 53
Berg: Sonata in B minor, Op 1
Bach: Partita in C Minor, BWV 826

#1997516 - 12/10/12 06:56 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
juliet08 Offline

Beginner in Singapore just bought a 42yo yamaha U1 from Jesley Piano yesterday. As an after-effect after paying $3k for it, she can't stop thinking about the age of her first piano!

Mr Lim said during those times (1970) Yamaha will keep their piano for 5 years first before selling - true?

#1997661 - 12/10/12 11:36 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Norbert Offline

Quote:
My German piano is about 20+ years old and I've always loved it for its warm tone but it's been going a bit wonky of late(it's got this loud creaky sound whenever I hit a certain note) and I'm not sure if I should be refurbishing the insides(the soundboard?) or just consider getting a grand piano.

Not likely, just give it plain good service.

By description your piano appears to suffer from the all-to-common 'under-service' syndrome.

Not that rare in your neck of the woods...

Norbert smile

#2007818 - 01/02/13 06:27 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Acca Offline

Hi Singapore Pianoworld regulars,

I have a situation that I'm wondering if the local Singaporeans here can shed some light on.

I am from Australia on vacation in Singapore, and am interested in buying a new Yamaha N1 Avantgrand. I went into the Plaza Singapura Yamaha dealer last week and was treated very kindly, and allowed to sample a lot of pianos including the Avantgrands for a long time. I noted that there was a sale on, which made it attractive to consider buying a piano locally and exporting it back to my home.

However, today (2nd of Jan), I go back to the store and the guy says that the "sale" has ended as of 31st of Dec (2 days ago, with New Year's being yesterday), and they can no longer sell it at that price. The best price they can offer is about $1500 MORE than the old sale price... ("Retail" = SGD$13.4k Sale = SGD$9.9k, now they want SGD$11.4k)

My question: is this really normal? Are sticker prices in Singapore carved in stone with no negotiation, and sale prices really limited to strict times? I already checked with the guy last week, and there were 3 available in the warehouse, so it's not like they have to order new ones in specially. I've always viewed "sales" as gimmicks anyway, and if you can make money at a price that was advertised, why would you refuse to sell at that price a mere 2 days later? Morever, from a search on google, this piano was offered for an even lower price earlier in March 2012 at SGD$9.6k and offered in August 2012 SGD$9.9k, so it's not like this "sale" price is very unusual.

I also tried to shop around but all of the Yamaha stores seem to be under the same "ownership" and will not compete against each other. Are there any independent stores I should be looking at who could get the piano for me at a competitive price?

Thanks for any insights.

#2008738 - 01/03/13 09:01 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
fogandflower Offline

Hello Guys,

Anyone can recommend a good piano tuner in north area?

#2008794 - 01/03/13 11:58 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Acca]
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I believe that Yamaha itself owns the store in Plaza Singapura. Those cut-off dates for their 'sales' are pretty much cast in stone. The sale periods are always the same every year, so buyers wanting to save money always hold off their purchases until sale time.

#2008919 - 01/04/13 10:27 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Digitus]
Acca Offline

Originally Posted By: Digitus
I believe that Yamaha itself owns the store in Plaza Singapura. Those cut-off dates for their 'sales' are pretty much cast in stone. The sale periods are always the same every year, so buyers wanting to save money always hold off their purchases until sale time.

Thanks for the info Digitus. Strange that they prefer to sell more pianos only at certain times of the year. In any case, the manager did come back to me in the end with a much closer price. However in the meantime I've tried out some baby grands and am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get an acoustic... crazy Decisions, decisions... cursing

#2016015 - 01/17/13 09:55 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
silvermavis Offline

Hello! I'm selling my Samick JS-115 piano which is still under its 8 years warranty. Kindly email silvermavis@gmail.com if interested! Thank you:)

My apologies if it is not the right thread to post in!

Edited by silvermavis (01/17/13 09:56 AM)

#2112629 - 07/04/13 06:04 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
amber76 Offline

I noticed that this thread has been left cold for quite some time so hopefully someone will take notice of this new post. I am seeking inputs from Hailun piano owners especially from those who has been playing the piano for several years. Any conern on the quality? Is H122 or H125 better? Recond pianos in Malaysia are mostly above 20 years old. Interested in a U3 but a recond U3 price is close to RM10K (20-30 years old), almost the same price as a new Hailun. Resale to me is not important as I plan to keep the piano for a long time therefore I am hoping to get one that will last the kids till gr8. Budget is between RM6k to 10K. Thanks.

#2132165 - 08/13/13 08:21 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: artemov]
Athdara Offline

Hello! I've been scouring this thread and forum and have read good reviews about Sauter pianos from Raffles piano... Am scouting around for a piano for when I move to my new house next year, and am trying to contact Alvin but have not been able to for the past week. Just wondering if anyone here might know if he's overseas or when I should call so I can catch him? Thank you:)

#2132545 - 08/13/13 11:02 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano [Re: Athdara]
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just tried to call him. Didn't pick up. He travels quite a bit, so I have sent him an SMS. I will PM you if I get a response.

Page 89 of 91 < 1 2 ... 87 88 89 90 91 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Kawai's CS series are hard to find..
by vcsel
12/19/14 06:14 AM
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
12/19/14 04:39 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159979 Topics
2349334 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission