Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 91 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#83141 - 11/22/06 10:40 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
maybe kenna "entice" by the beautiful sound of a grand..... \:\)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#83142 - 11/23/06 12:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wzkit:
Crane would have cost me at least $5K, last I heard...

Anyway, here're the photos of the Mother of all Deliveries...
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/13815.html [/b]
Wizkit: I saw a de-humidifier in your room. Where did you get it from? I saw 2 types at mustafa last friday midnight shopping... ~$700. need external air intake and hot air outlet, right?
\:\)

#83143 - 11/23/06 01:04 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Wzkit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No need for external intake or hot air outlet, for mine at least. Just a normal box set up in a room. Mine was donated for free, so I got lucky \:\)

#83144 - 11/23/06 02:53 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

oohh... the ones i saw was actually air-con with dehumidify function.. thanks

#83145 - 11/23/06 03:00 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wizkit: i saw a old 2nd hand sauter upright for sale in the yahoo auction. Went to see... sianzz, 1 strings broken, all very worn out, thought i could get a good deal, gave up. The beauty is the 4 legged foot.... easy to vacuum the floor, hehehe

#83146 - 11/23/06 06:04 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Hi Jay, I didn't buy the Yamaha U1, Erwandy is the one who bought the Yamaha U1. My piano is a Challen. Petrof is nice but I think it needs a lot of maintenance and voicing to get the best tone out of it. My piano teacher used to have a Petrof upright, she broke a string of it infront of me. Hehe.

#83147 - 11/23/06 06:14 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

The GE30 (5'5") is not really an entry level. It has got the Millenium III action and duplex scales. I tried the one at Chambers Music and like the tone and touch very much.

#83148 - 11/23/06 09:04 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

jarjar, is the Challen made in malaysian company who also makes the C. Steinbach piano? How's the sound" good?

wow! GE30, gotta go down to roberts this weekend to "check it out"....

#83149 - 11/23/06 09:40 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

snoopycar,
Yup, the Challen is made in Malaysia. Their website is http://www.viennamusic.com.my/. The tone is ok, not much dynamic and I don't like the action. Well, with that kind of price, nothing much to expect from it.
Yeah, could you please help me to check out the price of the GE30 in Sg?

#83150 - 11/23/06 12:09 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Wzkit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Snoopycar: There's a nice 2nd hand Sauter upright in excellent condition at Raffles Piano. Well worth a visit. If I had space and money, I would take it as my second piano!

#83151 - 11/23/06 06:01 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wzkit: a new piano shop? i wasn't updated!!! Where is Raffles Piano?

i took picture with a C steinbach baby grand at the Hyatt hotel at jb when no one was watching.... hehehe

"can't beat out the sound"? you can try to open the front cover to let out the tone, just like a grand.. could be overwhelming

poor dynamics? sianz right? especially when you go piano window shopping and "met" others more responsive ones.... time to upgrade soon, huh?

#83152 - 11/23/06 08:46 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Wzkit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's the place where I bought my Sauter. Its at Vitoria Concert Hall. Just outside the box office. Those who have been there have been mighty impressed - myself included. Totally no pressure at all. I was there every week for nearly 8 months before making my decision, and I never had any pressure. Alvin's a fantastic guy to talk to, and one of the best technicians in Singapore. Prices are typical of German pianos in that league, but with the quality of the product and the service you're getting, I wouldn't complain!

#83153 - 11/23/06 10:18 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Jay Offline

Loc: AUD
opss.. jarjar... sorry... got mistaken... hee hee.... my apology.... ;\)

I was told by the salesperson who distribute Kawai (New) that the GE is the entry level piano. The RX is a better of the Kawais. Anyways, I think they are nice piano.

As for maintenance it is the same for all piano. Under extreme conditions like in Malaysia or Singapore, I am not suprise many pianos need extra attention. But, how many owners actually do it!.
And IMO, Japanese piano tends have less problem with the action mainly because of the ABS materials in the action. Then again, you have other critical components such as soundboard, bridge, pinblock etc.. that are wood constructed which are sensitive to humidity. Something you cannot see even if is already damaged, yet the piano still sound :p

How old is the teacher's upright? And, wow.. she broke a string. I guess with this climate, many of the pianos have rusty strings. Also, the poor hammer contact and shape (regulation off) can cause broken strings too. (from www.ptg.org) It is normal to have broken strings.

#83154 - 11/23/06 10:35 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Jay Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by snoopycar:
jarjar, is the Challen made in malaysian company who also makes the C. Steinbach piano? How's the sound" good?
[/b]
If I am not mistaken C.Steinbach have different models. They one I tried many years ago was the produced by Samick. It is the same piano as the WSU series. Nice.. for me. \:D

#83155 - 11/23/06 11:44 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

hehehe here goes....

#83156 - 11/24/06 12:11 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Jay Offline

Quote:
i took picture with a C steinbach baby grand at the Hyatt hotel at jb when no one was watching.... hehehe

"can't beat out the sound"? you can try to open the front cover to let out the tone, just like a grand.. could be overwhelming

poor dynamics? sianz right? especially when you go piano window shopping and "met" others more responsive ones.... time to upgrade soon, huh? [/b]
Maybe it is the piano or most probably it is the hotel. I know for sure hotels' pianos are the worst

#83157 - 11/24/06 02:34 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

then next time, you gotta record it with your cellphone and put it in the youtube for us to hear too ..... LOL

#83158 - 11/24/06 08:05 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Jay, no problem \:D The GE supposes to be the entry level for Kawai but a lot of people think that the GE30 is comparable to the RX but just in a less elegant cabinet. You could tried it out at Chambers music in Sg.Wang. I like it very much but don't like the price. I have checked out the petrof upright actually but don't really like the tone of the 131 in the showroom and the price is so expensive. However I like my teacher's petrof.

#83159 - 11/24/06 08:13 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Jay Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jarjar:
Jay, no problem \:D The GE supposes to be the entry level for Kawai but a lot of people think that the GE30 is comparable to the RX but just in a less elegant cabinet. You could tried it out at Chambers music in Sg.Wang. I like it very much but don't like the price. I have checked out the petrof upright actually but don't really like the tone of the 131 in the showroom and the price is so expensive. However I like my teacher's petrof. [/b]

Early this month, I tried the GE was at RC. But when I compare to the RX and Shigeru, phew.. you know what I mean.
Btw, how much was the Pe 131? The last I checked was selling at RM 28K (USD 7500). Frankly, I prefer the Pe 125. But my gf thought the cabinet was nice, tone and the touch was better (full Renner). Well she's the queen ended up with the 131 \:D

#83160 - 11/24/06 08:15 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Jay Offline

Quote:
then next time, you gotta record it with your cellphone and put it in the youtube for us to hear too ..... LOL [/b]
:p maybe I should ask the pianist if he knows it is so darn out of tune. And how the hell you play beautiful music from this beast

#83161 - 11/24/06 10:39 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

He is, in a way, a very determine pianist!!
When i go piano window shopping, i can't play a simple tune if i finds the piano out of tune... lost the mood to play. But with a nicely tune piano, it gives the mood to carry on testing. know what i mean? am i fussy?

This lounge pianist really deserves a promotion and with, the extra pay, he can then employ his own tuner !!! yeah !!! hehehe

#83162 - 11/25/06 10:13 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Jay, the petrof 131 that I tested was selling at RM40k! And it was sold already! When did you check the 28k price? They have this Weinbach that selling for 20k but it is a 125 model if i'm not mistaken.
I think the little yamaha baby grand piano in The Curve sounds awful, so does the one in Metrojaya Midvalley.

#83163 - 11/26/06 08:11 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Jay Offline

Quote:
Jay, the petrof 131 that I tested was selling at RM40k! And it was sold already! When did you check the 28k price? They have this Weinbach that selling for 20k but it is a 125 model if i'm not mistaken.
[/b]
RM 40K that must be the retail price. The last I visited Wagner Piano (Petrof Agent) was sometime mid of this month. I saw the Weinbach too, 118 and 126. According to the dealer it is the same piano as the Petrof but less expensive.

Were you Sg. Wang last weekend? Yamaha had a booth there. I tried the new YUS or YSU. I think is better than the U series. At least to me the touch was better and the upper register sings well.

#83164 - 11/26/06 09:37 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Digitus: Back from overseas yet - are you a air steward?? \:\)
Is your K8 has the sustenuto features? I tried out the GM-10 at CPt, small size, but large sound - junteh! Sound colourful and sweet. The dynamics response range is pretty good. it' s about $13,999. Sounds better that a Yammy GB1. Ai ya, why didn't you choose the grand instead huh? Price is quite same leh...
At my grade, i don't deserve to play a Steinway. But anyway i did manage to "massage" it... thanks to ms chia letting me try the "rolls roy" \:D It's very rich creamy chocolate taste - my upright is only van houten chocolate....

Sorry jarjar or jar(confusing leh), i for get to ask the price of the GE30, GM10 good enough leow - no duplex nebermind.

#83165 - 11/27/06 04:45 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
jarjar Offline

Jay, how could the retail price and the actual price so much difference? That's price given by Wagner when I was there in August. Oh, can I bring you along on my next piano purchase? Hehe. Nope, I didn't go to the Yamaha booth there. Not really interested in a yamaha. They might sounds good when new but the sounds gets really bright when it aged.
Snoopycar, the GE10 was selling at RM38k over here. Just a few K more expensive than in SG so I guess it is quite ok la. But is it the discounted price? I haven't played the GE10 b4, they don't have any in their showroom.

#83166 - 11/27/06 01:02 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

snoopycar, yes just back a few hours ago. No, I'm not an air steward, but I do use Singapore Airlines like a very expensive bus service. Will probably be popping over to Germany on Wednesday night, then China next Tuesday.

It turns out that the K-8 imported by Robert Piano does not have the sostenuto pedal. It is fitted with a practice pedal instead. I was at first somewhat unhappy with it, but having the practice pedal in Singapore makes sense. In any case the sostenuto pedal is not used often that all.

#83167 - 11/27/06 05:41 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
mendo Offline

no sostenuto pedal on K8?

How can it be not there when the specs in brochures and all international websites state it so clearly?

in your case, you don't need it so often but you STILL NEED IT!

it this one of the cost cutting measure disguised as oooh, s'pore market doesn't need sustenuto instead, want practice pedal instead. otherwise, may as well buy K6 and save thousands.

I would get a full refund if i were you.

#83168 - 11/27/06 06:34 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi guys,

hiak hiak haik.... you have to ask the right question. I was standing(later the stool comes by hinting i needed a seat) and testing the K8, pressing the middle pedal, aaaa?? how come no effect and can slide to the side??

Then i enqire about the sustenuto. Teacher says, "Have" ~$600 more... some ppl don't need so, "why-pay-more". And it also comes with the silencer felt activate by a level, i think below the left keyboard. You know, modern silencer are activated by bicycle cable type design, can mount the level anywhere.. Ah ha.....

Nebermind lah, buy means buy leow lah ;\) . Treat the sustenuto as a "cruise control" on a Honda Civic - don't have also can. don't tuwee, ok? Your "iVtec" (mill3) is the main attraction !!!
Got duplex, got aggraffe, got sound port. Not like my "lau uncle" K8(secret), Simitomo(what also don't have) - but got a good sound board.

cheers..

"Lau Uncle" looks young out side, young at heart - very fit. Must have gone through cosmetic surgery

#83169 - 11/27/06 08:31 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Jay Offline

Quote:
Jay, how could the retail price and the actual price so much difference? That's price given by Wagner when I was there in August. Oh, can I bring you along on my next piano purchase? Hehe. Nope, I didn't go to the Yamaha booth there. Not really interested in a yamaha. They might sounds good when new but the sounds gets really bright when it aged.
Snoopycar, the GE10 was selling at RM38k over here. Just a few K more expensive than in SG so I guess it is quite ok la. But is it the discounted price? I haven't played the GE10 b4, they don't have any in their showroom. [/b]
My guess is no piano company will sell at retail price. Usually you get a discount between 15-20% (also depends to brand). And when it comes to year end, you even get a better price. I guess is normal… look at the car dealers.
The only piano that sells with no discount is the Steinway dealer in KL. I went to inquire a Steinway B and it was selling at USD 100K nett.

#83170 - 11/27/06 09:09 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Wzkit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just saw 2 K-8s over the weekend at Parkway Parade sostenuto pedal, side by side with a K-8 without the sostenuto. According to the salesguy, the price difference is about S$500. I preferred the tone of the unit without the sostenuto. For most of us, I think the practice pedal is more useful

Page 6 of 91 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1773 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252750 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under £1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission