2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 136 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 135 136
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wzkit: a new piano shop? i wasn't updated!!! Where is Raffles Piano?

i took picture with a C steinbach baby grand at the Hyatt hotel at jb when no one was watching.... hehehe

"can't beat out the sound"? you can try to open the front cover to let out the tone, just like a grand.. could be overwhelming

poor dynamics? sianz right? especially when you go piano window shopping and "met" others more responsive ones.... time to upgrade soon, huh?

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's the place where I bought my Sauter. Its at Vitoria Concert Hall. Just outside the box office. Those who have been there have been mighty impressed - myself included. Totally no pressure at all. I was there every week for nearly 8 months before making my decision, and I never had any pressure. Alvin's a fantastic guy to talk to, and one of the best technicians in Singapore. Prices are typical of German pianos in that league, but with the quality of the product and the service you're getting, I wouldn't complain!

Sauter 185 Delta with accelerated action and burl walnut fallboard
Jay Offline
opss.. jarjar... sorry... ha got mistaken... hee hee.... my apology.... wink

I was told by the salesperson who distribute Kawai (New) that the GE is the entry level piano. The RX is a better of the Kawais. Anyways, I think they are nice piano.

As for maintenance it is the same for all piano. Under extreme conditions like in Malaysia or Singapore, I am not suprise many pianos need extra attention. But, how many owners actually do it!. confused
And IMO, Japanese piano tends have less problem with the action mainly because of the ABS materials in the action. Then again, you have other critical components such as soundboard, bridge, pinblock etc.. that are wood constructed which are sensitive to humidity. Something you cannot see even if is already damaged, yet the piano still sound :p

How old is the teacher's upright? And, eek wow.. she broke a string. I guess with this climate, many of the pianos have rusty strings. Also, the poor hammer contact and shape (regulation off) can cause broken strings too. (from www.ptg.org) It is normal to have broken strings.

Jay Offline
Originally posted by snoopycar:
jarjar, is the Challen made in malaysian company who also makes the C. Steinbach piano? How's the sound" good?
If I am not mistaken C.Steinbach have different models. They one I tried many years ago was the produced by Samick. It is the same piano as the WSU series. Nice.. for me. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
hehehe here goes....

[Linked Image]

Jay Offline
i took picture with a C steinbach baby grand at the Hyatt hotel at jb when no one was watching.... hehehe

"can't beat out the sound"? you can try to open the front cover to let out the tone, just like a grand.. could be overwhelming

poor dynamics? sianz right? especially when you go piano window shopping and "met" others more responsive ones.... time to upgrade soon, huh?
Maybe it is the piano or most probably it is the hotel. I know for sure hotels' pianos are the worst thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
then next time, you gotta record it with your cellphone and put it in the youtube for us to hear too ..... LOL

Jay, no problem laugh The GE supposes to be the entry level for Kawai but a lot of people think that the GE30 is comparable to the RX but just in a less elegant cabinet. You could tried it out at Chambers music in Sg.Wang. I like it very much but don't like the price. :b: I have checked out the petrof upright actually but don't really like the tone of the 131 in the showroom and the price is so expensive. However I like my teacher's petrof.

Kawai k8-as
Jay Offline
Originally posted by jarjar:
Jay, no problem laugh The GE supposes to be the entry level for Kawai but a lot of people think that the GE30 is comparable to the RX but just in a less elegant cabinet. You could tried it out at Chambers music in Sg.Wang. I like it very much but don't like the price. :b: I have checked out the petrof upright actually but don't really like the tone of the 131 in the showroom and the price is so expensive. However I like my teacher's petrof.
thumb
Early this month, I tried the GE was at RC. But when I compare to the RX and Shigeru, phew.. eek you know what I mean.
Btw, how much was the Pe 131? The last I checked was selling at RM 28K (USD 7500). Frankly, I prefer the Pe 125. But my gf thought the cabinet was nice, tone and the touch was better (full Renner). Well she's the queen ended up with the 131 laugh

Jay Offline
then next time, you gotta record it with your cellphone and put it in the youtube for us to hear too ..... LOL
:p maybe I should ask the pianist if he knows it is so darn out of tune. And how the heck you play beautiful music from this beast ha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
He is, in a way, a very determine pianist!!
When i go piano window shopping, i can't play a simple tune if i finds the piano out of tune... lost the mood to play. But with a nicely tune piano, it gives the mood to carry on testing. know what i mean? am i fussy?

This lounge pianist really deserves a promotion and with, the extra pay, he can then employ his own tuner !!! yeah !!! hehehe

Jay, the petrof 131 that I tested was selling at RM40k! And it was sold already! When did you check the 28k price? They have this Weinbach that selling for 20k but it is a 125 model if i'm not mistaken.
I think the little yamaha baby grand piano in The Curve sounds awful, so does the one in Metrojaya Midvalley.

Kawai k8-as
Jay Offline
Jay, the petrof 131 that I tested was selling at RM40k! And it was sold already! When did you check the 28k price? They have this Weinbach that selling for 20k but it is a 125 model if i'm not mistaken.
RM 40K eek that must be the retail price. The last I visited Wagner Piano (Petrof Agent) was sometime mid of this month. I saw the Weinbach too, 118 and 126. According to the dealer it is the same piano as the Petrof but less expensive.

Were you Sg. Wang last weekend? Yamaha had a booth there. I tried the new YUS or YSU. I think is better than the U series. At least to me the touch was better and the upper register sings well.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Digitus: Back from overseas yet - are you a air steward?? smile
Is your K8 has the sustenuto features? I tried out the GM-10 at CPt, small size, but large sound - junteh! Sound colourful and sweet. The dynamics response range is pretty good. it' s about $13,999. Sounds better that a Yammy GB1. Ai ya, why didn't you choose the grand instead huh? Price is quite same leh...
At my grade, i don't deserve to play a Steinway. But anyway i did manage to "massage" it... thanks to ms chia letting me try the "rolls roy" laugh It's very rich creamy chocolate taste - my upright is only van houten chocolate....

Sorry jarjar or jar(confusing leh), i for get to ask the price of the GE30, GM10 good enough leow - no duplex nebermind.

Jay, how could the retail price and the actual price so much difference? That's price given by Wagner when I was there in August. Oh, can I bring you along on my next piano purchase? Hehe. Nope, I didn't go to the Yamaha booth there. Not really interested in a yamaha. They might sounds good when new but the sounds gets really bright when it aged.
Snoopycar, the GE10 was selling at RM38k over here. Just a few K more expensive than in SG so I guess it is quite ok la. But is it the discounted price? I haven't played the GE10 b4, they don't have any in their showroom.

Kawai k8-as
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
snoopycar, yes just back a few hours ago. No, I'm not an air steward, but I do use Singapore Airlines like a very expensive bus service. Will probably be popping over to Germany on Wednesday night, then China next Tuesday.

It turns out that the K-8 imported by Robert Piano does not have the sostenuto pedal. It is fitted with a practice pedal instead. I was at first somewhat unhappy with it, but having the practice pedal in Singapore makes sense. In any case the sostenuto pedal is not used often that all.

no sostenuto pedal on K8?

How can it be not there when the specs in brochures and all international websites state it so clearly?

in your case, you don't need it so often but you STILL NEED IT!

it this one of the cost cutting measure disguised as oooh, s'pore market doesn't need sustenuto instead, want practice pedal instead. otherwise, may as well buy K6 and save thousands.

I would get a full refund if i were you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi guys,

hiak hiak haik.... you have to ask the right question. I was standing(later the stool comes by hinting i needed a seat) and testing the K8, pressing the middle pedal, aaaa?? how come no effect and can slide to the side??

Then i enqire about the sustenuto. Teacher says, "Have" ~$600 more... some ppl don't need so, "why-pay-more". And it also comes with the silencer felt activate by a level, i think below the left keyboard. You know, modern silencer are activated by bicycle cable type design, can mount the level anywhere.. Ah ha.....

Nebermind lah, buy means buy leow lah wink . Treat the sustenuto as a "cruise control" on a Honda Civic - don't have also can. don't tuwee, ok? Your "iVtec" (mill3) is the main attraction !!!
Got duplex, got aggraffe, got sound port. Not like my "lau uncle" K8(secret), Simitomo(what also don't have) - but got a good sound board.

cheers..

"Lau Uncle" looks young out side, young at heart - very fit. Must have gone through cosmetic surgery
[Linked Image]

Jay Offline
Jay, how could the retail price and the actual price so much difference? That's price given by Wagner when I was there in August. Oh, can I bring you along on my next piano purchase? Hehe. Nope, I didn't go to the Yamaha booth there. Not really interested in a yamaha. They might sounds good when new but the sounds gets really bright when it aged.
Snoopycar, the GE10 was selling at RM38k over here. Just a few K more expensive than in SG so I guess it is quite ok la. But is it the discounted price? I haven't played the GE10 b4, they don't have any in their showroom.
My guess is no piano company will sell at retail price. Usually you get a discount between 15-20% (also depends to brand). And when it comes to year end, you even get a better price. I guess is normal… look at the car dealers.
The only piano that sells with no discount is the Steinway dealer in KL. I went to inquire a Steinway B and it was selling at USD 100K nett.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just saw 2 K-8s over the weekend at Parkway Parade sostenuto pedal, side by side with a K-8 without the sostenuto. According to the salesguy, the price difference is about S$500. I preferred the tone of the unit without the sostenuto. For most of us, I think the practice pedal is more useful

Sauter 185 Delta with accelerated action and burl walnut fallboard
Page 9 of 136 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission