Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
112 registered (acoxcae, anamnesis, accordeur, ando, ABC Vermonter, 36251, 35 invisible), 1420 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#832541 - 10/28/04 06:47 AM Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
or do they think the oil for Food scandal to be a figment of the Republican imagination? Do they still believe that George's blustery persona turned off the genteel sensibilities of the countries of Europe, or do they know those countries were bought by Saddam?

Just wondering.. None of the liberals ever comment on this very significant issue.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Piano & Music Accessories
#832542 - 10/28/04 06:56 AM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
No one from the DNC has given told them what to think yet.

#832543 - 10/28/04 07:26 AM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Kofi Anan is a sanctimonious hypocrite who has the temerity to lecture the US about morality. The UN is lining his - and other "world leaders" -pockets while thousands are dying in Sudan.

The UN has all but outlived its usefulness.

#832544 - 10/28/04 11:07 AM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
MLT Offline

Asking a liberal what they beleive right now is like trying to pin jello to a bulletin board.

Good luck,

Kirk

#832545 - 10/28/04 11:18 AM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
Originally posted by MLT:
Asking a liberal what they beleive right now is like trying to pin jello to a bulletin board.

Good luck,

Kirk [/b]
I'm often called a "liberal" here. You won't find much equivocation in what I posted.

#832546 - 10/28/04 11:29 AM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
I don't comment on it much for several reasons.

See, I believe it is largely beside the point. A world leader is supposed to lead the world. There will always be resistance to anything a world leader would like others to do. That's where the whole "leading" part of "world leader" comes in, see? Therefore, I believe other countries probably had lots of reasons -- some legitimate and some less so -- for not wanting to support the U.S. in the Iraq war. It was Bush's job to pull them into the boat through *negotiation* and persuasion. He failed. Period.

The other problem I have with the whole "Oil for Food" thing the wingers keep raising is that it fits a theme -- a very disturbing theme of this presidency.

That theme is, "Hey, whaddaywant from me, I'm just the president?!" Everything is a bunch of excuses with this guy. Nothing is ever his fault. Nothing could ever be done better. Mistakes are never made. It's very transparent, and it's getting old.

So go ahead and hide behind "Oil for Food" as the reason for the abysmal situation in Iraq. Or hide behind blaiming the UN for all your problems. Or blame little green space aliens, OK? *Bush* started this war, and *Bush* was wrong about the very premise of why we needed to go to war when we went to war, and *Bush* botched it badly once we got there.

He's on his way out. And he richly deserves it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#832547 - 10/28/04 11:32 AM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
apple* Offline

there's my answer...not of consequence

#832548 - 10/28/04 11:42 AM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Cindysphinx Offline

[deleted]

#832549 - 10/28/04 11:44 AM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
apple* Offline

your perception of the situation is totally clouded by liberality.

#832550 - 10/28/04 12:16 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Cindysphinx Offline

Hey, you edited your post again, Apple!

I guess I will have to delete my post, as my meaning has now been distorted.

I guess I'll just start copying your original replies into my responses to protect my meaning in the future. . . .

#832551 - 10/28/04 12:20 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
apple* Offline

I told you it took me 5 minutes. I swear I didn't try and trick you. That's why they have those little quote things at the top of the page.

sorry.

#832552 - 10/28/04 12:30 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
.rvaga* Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Let's see, which group do I want to belong to:

The "wingers" blame the U.N. for everything.

The "lefties" blame the U.S. for everything.

#832553 - 10/28/04 12:32 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Cindysphinx Offline

Apple:

I told you it took me 5 minutes. I swear I didn't try and trick you. That's why they have those little quote things at the top of the page.

sorry.[/b]

I'm not saying you can't edit. I just think you shouldn't conceal that you have done so. Especially if someone answered you directly.

I'll just take steps to make sure my meaning isn't distorted and copy your entire post when I reply to it. Or just think twice about replying at all.

#832554 - 10/28/04 12:43 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
cindy,

I do very much agree with you on that point! In fact, I think I said it in my very first post on politics here in the coffee room.

For crying out loud, that is what negotiation is all about, as I would imagine you well know from being an attorney (and I from negotiating teaming arrangements on bids and contracts).

Is Bush a good negotiator himself? I really don't know. Is Cheney? That's hilarious. He'd be the first to admit he's not. Rumsfeld? I think he's an arrogant loose cannon (e.g., that a**hole remark about "the Old Europe.")

Powell? Yes, that's one of his long suits. But we know he was muzzled by the administration. And my understanding is he is not really a strategist which is part of the reason he was ignored.

So I'm voting for Bush on the assumption he's going to dump all his direct reports. Just kidding.

But to me it is a very gray situation. Just once I'd like to hear someone from the "left" say much the same thing. But, believe me, I won't hold my breath for that.

#832555 - 10/28/04 12:47 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Cindysphinx Offline

MM, I'm afraid I can't admit that there's much grey in this situation.

I mean, if Bush were strong on the economy but had messed up in Iraq, there's be some grey.

If Bush had stormed into Iraq and found a nuclear bomb with "Destination: Cleveland" printed on it, maybe I could forgive the bungling and see some grey.

If Bush had not run up this huge deficit all the while insisting he's going to dole out even more tax cuts, I'd see some grey.

And that drug program that he tries to pass off as a health care initiative? Sheez.

Bush's record is *awful,* MM. It's really breathtaking, it is. Not much grey there, I'm afraid.

#832556 - 10/28/04 12:48 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
markjpcs Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Why are the righties wingers and the lefties just lefties?

This is Righty: (yes, he is my only beanie)

He has no wings.

I would think it would be easier to get a jack@ss to fly than an elephant based on the weight issue and of course the hot air emanating from it's orifices. \:D

Of course there is always Dumbo to consider I guess. ;\)

#832557 - 10/28/04 01:01 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

See, I believe it is largely beside the point. A world leader is supposed to lead the world. There will always be resistance to anything a world leader would like others to do. That's where the whole "leading" part of "world leader" comes in, see? Therefore, I believe other countries probably had lots of reasons -- some legitimate and some less so -- for not wanting to support the U.S. in the Iraq war. It was Bush's job to pull them into the boat through *negotiation* and persuasion. He failed. Period.[/b]

This shows a profound lack of understanding both the situation and what negotiating entails.

You cannot negotiate with countries regarding their getting involved with dealing with another country when they are lining their pockets off the country in question. What *is* it about this you don't understand? Secondly, those of us who support the war have been trying to get it through your collective heads that your antiwar crap is doing harm. No one can negotiate with *anyone* when the enemy is being emboldened by the knowledge that we are not united in our effort to defeat them. What is it about *this* you don't understand? Kerry couldn't have negotiated any better in this situation. Too many of the countries we should have been able to count on were on the take.

The other problem I have with the whole "Oil for Food" thing the wingers keep raising is that it fits a theme -- a very disturbing theme of this presidency.

That theme is, "Hey, whaddaywant from me, I'm just the president?!" Everything is a bunch of excuses with this guy. Nothing is ever his fault. Nothing could ever be done better. Mistakes are never made. It's very transparent, and it's getting old.[/b]

I am simply stunned by the absolute emptiness of your logic. I don't even know where to begin to correct such a warped view.

So go ahead and hide behind "Oil for Food" as the reason for the abysmal situation in Iraq. Or hide behind blaiming the UN for all your problems. Or blame little green space aliens, OK? *Bush* started this war, and *Bush* was wrong about the very premise of why we needed to go to war when we went to war, and *Bush* botched it badly once we got there.[/b]

Geez...... I mean, really..... do you *ever* open your eyes?

He's on his way out. And he richly deserves it. [/b]

Sorry Cindy. It ain't gonna happen.

#832558 - 10/28/04 01:11 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I mean, if Bush were strong on the economy but had messed up in Iraq, there's be some grey.
[/b]
Yeah, these low interest rates, rising home values, low unemployment numbers and glowing quarterly earnings are just KILLING me.

penny

#832559 - 10/28/04 01:16 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Cindysphinx Offline

Consider yourself lucky, Penny.

And Larry?

Like Kerry says, just because Bush couldn't do it doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

Gotta run folks. You've been swell!

#832560 - 10/28/04 01:20 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

cindy,

c'mon be fair. You know as well as I do that our economic problems are a result of the burst market bubble that effectively preceded Bush's administration. And you also know that, apart from that incurred by the Afghan and Iraq war, the deficit is a result of the decreased tax revenues from the resulting economic problems.

Your playing games here. I ignore others when they pop off about the economy because their ignorance is so obvious I don't even bother explaining. But I know you know about what I just said ... oh yes you do! \:D

Regarding tax cuts, history has shown that the "signal" provided to the big investors who drive the market is what counts ... much less so the actual increased spending by people like you and I.

In particular, the cuts have to be for the wealthy for this "signal" to work. The administration's "excuse" about small businesses is BS. The tax code could be changed to help small businesses without rewarding wealthy individuals.

But can they tell the general public what the reason really is, as sound as it is for ALL of us ultimately? Are you kidding? And, by the way, wasn't it you who asked somewhere else about when is the market going to go up? Hey cindy, you can't have it both ways. You want the market to go up just like all of us do, you have to do what you have to do, whether you think its' fair, in some idealistic sense, or not

Regarding the Bush drug policy, I do agree it's a joke. What to me was especially hilarious was Bush's "solution" based on generic drugs which effectively negates the other justification for high drug prices, namely the cost of R&D for new drugs. (I'm not spelling out the conflict here. I suggest it's obvious after some thought. I'll just leave it for the Bush-is-always right crowd to figure it out.)

And last but not least, why did you choose to change my spelling of gray to grey? Huh?

#832561 - 10/28/04 01:34 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Larry,

By defending the faulty diplomacy of this administration, you lose credibility for Bush supporters. I disregard what virtrually all the other kerry supporters say in the Coffee room. Most of them are airheads. But cindy does make decent points ... now and then.

Although it was a different time with different conditions, Nixon and Kissinger knew how to play the diplomacy game well. When you are dealing with rational regimes, however despicable, there is a basis for compromises, economic offsets, etc. The premise here is that the main UN parties involved, including France, are rational regimes as was the Soviet.

Hitler's Germany was and the Islamic fascists are NOT rational. They can not be negotiated with, only destroyed. We need a General Sherman over there, not some of the pussies involved. I'm counting on Bush taking off the friggin' gloves and doing it right in his second term -- screw the media, the left, and world opinion!

#832562 - 10/28/04 01:36 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MusicMagellan:
You know as well as I do that our economic problems are a result of the burst market bubble that effectively preceded Bush's administration. ? [/b]
Actually, I think who is in the White House has little to do with the economy (unless we're getting taxed to death). Clinton shouldn't take credit for the go-go late-90s, nor should he take the blame when the bubble burst. Both those economic swings had to do with a little something we called Y2K, coinciding with the explosion of the internet. Companies went nuts updating their computer equipment to avoid some prophesized disaster. That churned our little economic engine quite well for awhile (ah, remember the good ole' days, when the Nasdaq went over 4,000).

Then, the scare was over. And etailers hadn't quite learned how to make a profit yet. Thus the bubble.

It was fortuitous for Bush that the "recession" was only the short dip that it was. Perhaps Greenspan should take the credit, but we know that he is beyond partisan politics.

So, to paraphrase Dems from earlier times: "It's not the economy, stupid."

penny

p.s. I hope this little tidbit: Your playing games here. I ignore others when they pop off about the economy because their ignorance is so obvious I don't even bother explaining.[/b] wasn't directed at me.

#832563 - 10/28/04 01:46 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

As they say, Penny, we are in violent agreement about that. But actually, Greenspan, in a way, might deserve some of the blame.

Recall him saying, after the series of tax increases, that we need better measures of the impact of technology on productivity? Several investment professionals I know (with long experience) claim Greenspan overreacted with his tax cuts.

But at least he deserves credit for, in effect, pointing out that the problem was really with determining the right economic measures to use to analyze the condition of today's, not yesteryears', market.

P.S. No I certainly didn't mean you Penny. However, I have to tell you that I so rarely find fault with what those on the so-called "right" post that I have to accept that I'm not nearly as objective as I'd like to think I am.

P.P.S. Also, don't take my posted "insults" very seriously. In a way, I'm just joining in the fun of talking that way in this room. It's very cathartic. ;\)

#832564 - 10/28/04 01:50 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Agreed (but you meant interest rate increases, not tax increases, right?).

penny

#832565 - 10/28/04 01:52 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(edited my last post)

#832566 - 10/28/04 01:53 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

oops, yes, I meant interest rate increases.

#832567 - 10/28/04 01:53 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
apple* Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MusicMagellan:
However, I have to tell you that I so rarely find fault with what those on the so-called "right" post that I have to accept that I'm not nearly as objective as I'd like to think I am.

[/b]
well, just because a clear understanding of financial reality veers you toward the right, it doesn't mean you need to apologise.

#832568 - 10/28/04 01:54 PM Re: Do liberals believe that countries were bribed?
MusicMagellan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

thank you, apple. You never fail me! \:D

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
12/22/14 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Is this now real enough?
by Philip_Johnston
12/22/14 04:21 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160067 Topics
2350651 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission