Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
108 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, Almaviva, Anita Potter, ando, 32 invisible), 1342 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#833595 - 11/26/04 05:23 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
Bernard, you just don't like me. That's *your* problem, not mine, or anyone else's.

Piano & Music Accessories
#833596 - 11/26/04 05:29 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
Haven't you been moderating the PF already?

#833597 - 11/26/04 05:33 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
We're talking about the Piano Forum, not the Coffee Room. The only one who could moderate that is someone who knows the business intimately. People who have sold pianos, played pianos, rebuilt pianos. I can think of maybe only 10 people who have ever graced our presence to be qualified (and maybe not even 10). Larry is one of them.

All we ask is a little transparency. Heck, sales "weasels" can post, too, as long as everyone is clear about just who is doing the talking.

The opportunity to mislead is much more important and cause for much more concern and scrutiny on a forum called Piano Forum in a place called Piano World. Don't forget many people go there to start their research process in making a MAJOR purchase. Someone ought to be making sure the information is fair and opinions are labeled as such. In fact, Larry (and a few others) has been doing this for years, anyways.

What this gains us is the opportunity to nip some of these ridiculous thread wars in the bud. (Of course, it kind of kills all the fun for us old-timers who wait for Larry's next target to open mouth, insert foot!).

penny

#833598 - 11/26/04 05:42 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
For what my two cents worth is worth - I think Larry would use good judgement in getting rid of the CR___, without being overly censorious (right word?) I'm sick of all this stuff!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#833599 - 11/26/04 05:43 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ooops! Double Post. Thanks for calling it my attention, Renauda. I was getting that message about the forum being flooded and ended up double-posting! But - it was worth saying twice. \:D

#833600 - 11/26/04 05:46 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

You can say that again, Teachum. ;\)

#833601 - 11/26/04 06:17 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
kathyk Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
He'd sure as heck get rid of me right off!!!

\

Fox gaurding the chicken coop? AKA - time for all liberals in CR to expire - for good!

#833602 - 11/26/04 06:28 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Kathy..... dear...... sigh..... pay attention.

This isn't a political issue. It isn't about the Coffee Room. It isn't about telling you what you or anyone else can or cannot say. It's about helping keep four letter words, explicit pictures, and stalkers from running loose on the PF. If you haven't posted any lude pictures, used a stream of 4 letter words, or stalked anyone in the PF, you wouldn't be the slightest bit affected.

Geez.......

#833603 - 11/26/04 06:45 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And if it's any consolation KathyK I would be the first to protest anyone who would zap you for your views. Larry is being sincere as is everyone else who has contributed to this discussion. Please to bury the hachet for this *meeting* and think constructively.

#833604 - 11/26/04 06:57 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Larry,

That's a nice offer.

However I love you

(in a....

,...and.....

[img]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=516/2407100_01331-med.JPG[/img]...kind of way)

much more as you are now. That is, with your unequaled BS meter helping out the people visiting the PF and asking questions without getting misinformed.

I have the feeling this valuable service might be more restricted "moderated" if you were in a "moderating capacity."

#833605 - 11/26/04 07:04 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
katie_dup1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I believe the piano buying public would benefit knowing an experienced & former dealer is moderating the PF ... IMO, it's reassuring, and also lends credibility and objectivity to what the PF has come to represent.

IMO, Who else but Larry?

I'm also wondering what Frank thinks ....

#833606 - 11/26/04 07:18 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
xuser Offline

Loc: Zug, Switzerland
Reading this post of Larry in the PF (not the CR) you may think about if he would not ban this member after he gets the power:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry:
... because I'm tired of having to deal with people like you who don't understand or appreciate the value of those with industry credentials and years of experience. I'm tired of spending part of my day reading through threads to help keep misinformation out that gets put up here by new members. I'm tired of having to go from a simple correction to an argument just because some new member decides to get an attitude because someone dared question his ignorant input. I'm tired of helping you sort out the salesmen with an agenda hiding their bias and giving you twisted sales pitches.

#833607 - 11/26/04 07:22 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
kathyk, xuser - Larry would be a great choice. Check out nipon and a few other stalking trolls in the PF - they are making some threads unreadable and harrassing those who have some knowledge of the topics. Larry would be quite fare, from what I have seen.

#833608 - 11/26/04 07:24 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Ben D. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I agree with CJQ: I see no problem as long as there is a fair appeals process!

#833609 - 11/26/04 07:35 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

Larry gets my vote too..... I would like to see some sort of very simple appeals process!

#833610 - 11/26/04 07:37 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Keith D Kerman Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
So far, I see three suggestions offered.

1. Do nothing. With this, we lose valuable members such as KB, and others, who aren't interested in being dragged into pointless " I know you are, but what am I" type discussions. To me, this would lead to an eventual attrition of all knowledgable contributors.

2. Larry becomes moderator. This has my vote. Although Larry has ruffled many feathers, and is certainly biased,( at least from experience ) he has the knowledge of the industry, the high level BS meter, the respect of many of us, and he cares enough to have offered.

3. Several moderators. This could be the best solution, but who else is offering. Not me. When I get fed up with the nonsense, I just go away.

So, unless anybody else is offering, or accepting a nomination, and if Frank agrees ( what do you think Frank? ) why not give it a try with Larry? It is just an experiment. And I hope people aren't reading anything into Larry's offer beyond his generously offering to pitch in.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#833611 - 11/26/04 08:03 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

KathyK - Larry's posts may sound a bit harsh at times, but there's no way he would ban you for holding different political views. As he said, only if you did the things we are all objecting to, not holding different political views. I'm fairly conservative and I too, would object to you being banned. \:\) After observing Nipon and a couple of others for awhile, I even like BEN D now. \:D He has WAY more class! And I've been known to smart back to him, to my great embarrassment. I really should stay out of all things politic.

#833612 - 11/26/04 08:13 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I think Larry would do an excellent job as a moderator. It isn't about censorship - it is about preserving The Forum as the place it is. Whether or not you get along with him personally, he definitely is interested in keeping the integrity of this place.

My 2 cents,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#833613 - 11/26/04 08:45 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
jodi Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Evergreen State (WA)
Yes, but who's going to moderate Larry?

;\) ;\) ;\) \:D Jodi

#833614 - 11/26/04 09:02 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
espresso Offline

Larry is not the best choice guys.

I agree some of the posts are getting out of hand, but Larry is not the guy to give censoring power to. The man already is already an ego-maniac...in a good way lol.
Giving that man any more power, or even a title would put him over the edge.

#833615 - 11/26/04 09:08 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
AKindWord Offline

Loc: Kentucky/Tennessee
I think that choosing any long time forum member who is known for being overly hostile and defensive when crossed (and no, I'm not just speaking of Larry) should never be considered as moderator.

There are many deservedly well respected members here that nonetheless, cannot handle the varying personalities and points of views on this forum. Simply because their own opinions are too strong and overwhelming to allow them to be unbiased.

If anyone is to be moderator, it probably should be someone Frank sees in person on a very regular basis.

Someone who is new to the forums and has not built up any personal vendettas against any members.

If it had to be a current member I would choose Irving Faust. Even if he is a dealer, he is one of the most fair minded posters I have seen.

Larry cannot even moderate himself. Let alone a whole forum.

-AKindWord

#833616 - 11/26/04 09:20 PM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
I think if Frank wants moderating help, Frank should say so and state how he'd like to receive comments. Until then, I'd say this discussion is premature.

Interesting, but premature.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#833617 - 11/27/04 02:31 AM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana
Larry has my vote. Like Penny said, there aren't to many here capable of doing the job.

The PF is permeated with trolls and sockpuppets of dealers. I posted a year ago that the PF would implode and no longer become a value to piano shoppers. It has almost reached that point.

An unbiased moderator is the only thing that can save what is left.

lb

#833618 - 11/27/04 03:23 AM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Mozart1969 Offline

Loc: Stresa, Italy
I vote NO to Larry being a moderator in the Piano Forum simply because he has had run-ins with quite a few regulars here and tends to have a heavy hand. A person new to PW would be a good idea and OBVIOUSLY a person chosen by Frank.

Personally I don't think this Moderater needs to be competent with pianos. We are all shocked at the foul personal attacks that are going on and it is that that we want to eliminate, no? It is up to us to moderate the accuracy of the information given/posted. In fact, rest assured, if someone posts inaccurate or incorrect information someone jumps in and corrects it thankfully. So we need a moderator that stops ugly posts containing bad language from these trolls getting onto the forums.

Just my point of view

#833619 - 11/27/04 04:17 AM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
sarah_blueparrot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by AKindWord:
Larry cannot even moderate himself. Let alone a whole forum.

-AKindWord [/b]
And your opinion would be exactly the same should you happen to be perfectly unbiased and if you didn't have the slightest problem with Larry, would it?

===Point being made===

#833620 - 11/27/04 05:20 AM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
johnmoonlight Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lancaster, pa
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mozart1969:
I vote NO to Larry being a moderator in the Piano Forum simply because he has had run-ins with quite a few regulars here and tends to have a heavy hand. A person new to PW would be a good idea and OBVIOUSLY a person chosen by Frank.

[/b]
I disagree. Larry may have a heavy hand, but that is exactly what is needed with some of the scumbags that try to mess the place up. I also disagree that the person should be new to PW. It should be someone who has seen just about everything here and who has a great deal of common sense. I think Larry fits the bill pretty well. I can think of others as well.
Maybe a sub-committee with veto power?
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.

#833621 - 11/27/04 05:21 AM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Freedom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
 Quote:
Originally posted by johnmoonlight:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mozart1969:

[/b]
I disagree. Larry may have a heavy hand, but that is exactly what is needed with some of the scumbags that try to mess the place up. I also disagree that the person should be new to PW. It should be someone who has seen just about everything here and who has a great deal of common sense. I think Larry fits the bill pretty well. I can think of others as well.
Maybe a sub-committee with veto power? [/b]
Well said John

#833622 - 11/27/04 05:24 AM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
If Larry wants to strap it on, by all means let him.

Penny makes the best point contained in this thread - most of us do not have Larry's knowledge base. I can't restring a piano, I have no earthly idea how to string level, or how to lighten an action. In short, in order to whack the weasels, you've got to know what you are talking about, down to minute details.

Larry fits that bill.

There are a few others, (Rich comes to mind), but Larry will not be hurt financially, if push comes to shove.

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

#833623 - 11/27/04 06:27 AM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
fmelliott Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Larry would be terrific as a moderator!

If there are some shrinking violets who fear him, let them put up a candidate for a co-moderator. They are extremely unlikely to find anyone as qualified, but I suppose it might LOOK better to have two votes against each troll.

Does that look like a troll?

#833624 - 11/27/04 06:33 AM Re: Ok - I volunteer to be a trash hauler in the PF - second wind..
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Ok, time for me to weigh in and correct a few wrong assumptions.

To those of you worried about my "heavy hand", and those of you whose opinions are colored by being guilty of such trollish behavior that you've experienced that "heavy hand" (Thank you, Sarah Blueparrot), pay close attention to this sentence:

I did not suggest, nor do I want, there to be a moderator in the sense that this person has censorship authority over every post, where your every post is screened and "approved" by a moderator. Not at all. Maybe I should have used a different word than "moderator". All I have suggested be done, and all I have offerred to do - is help watch for the vulgar, vile stuff like what went up yesterday, and be given the ability to remove it before it is seen by anyone. Frank can't possibly be here all the time, and it would be good to have several people actually, who can remove those kinds of posts when we spot them.

That is ALL I'M OFFERING TO DO, AND IT IS ALL I THINK NEEDS TO BE DONE.

A few of you apparently didn't see the thread I'm referring to. One troll, inside of a few minutes, had started a thread, and posted in two others, two in the PF and one in the CR, containing vulgar pictures with the "F" word in huge letters, and it was obvious that he had every intention of hitting more threads with this filth. I checked to see how many people had viewed it, and in the short period of time it had been up when I first saw it, only about 3 people had viewed the thread. If I could have removed it, only those 3 would have seen it. By the time it had been called to Frank's attention, nearly 20 people had viewed the thread. Frank cannot be here every minute of every day, and because of this, a thread like that could stay up for hours if he isn't available. Giving someone else the ability to edit out threads and posts like that would take a burden off Frank, and help keep that kind of thing off the forums.

So to those of you who are worried that I'm suggesting that I be given the right to dictate your political views, or run roughshod over you with my "heavy hand", rest your little minds. Unless you were to post filthy pictures, use the "F" word, or things along that line, nothing at all would change. What I'm suggesting is not a "Moderator", but simply a way to allow at least one, and preferrably more than one, have the ability to take down extreme vulgarity. That's all. Nothing more. Your normal arguing and bickering, your normal power games, would continue as usual.

What is it that's hard about this to understand? If I had a child who read this forum and had discovered that thread yesterday, it would have made me afraid to allow my child to read this place any longer. We don't need that, and Frank doesn't need that. All I've offered to do is help watch for and remove that kind of post.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Tuned a 1960's Kranich and Bach Studio upright
by Paul678
12/22/14 09:18 PM
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
12/22/14 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160070 Topics
2350690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission