Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 42 of 91 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#84221 - 05/20/08 03:05 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
didu Offline

Loc: Singapore
Looks like we have a choice here:
(1) Engage Mr. Kwan to get our piano up to scratch.
OR
(2) Trade it in for a better condition 20+ yrs similar range Japan piano.

Option (2) would incur an additional couple of hundred $.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#84222 - 05/20/08 03:11 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
didu Offline

BTW, would like to thank Mr. Kwan for agreeing to make the trip over to inspect our old piano, & his advice.
THANKS \:D

#84223 - 05/20/08 06:36 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by didu:
Looks like we have a choice here:
(1) Engage Mr. Kwan to get our piano up to scratch.
OR
(2) Trade it in for a better condition 20+ yrs similar range Japan piano.

Option (2) would incur an additional couple of hundred $. [/b]
Umm...how much will option 1 cost? What work needs to be done?

#84224 - 05/20/08 08:49 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
didu Offline

I was quoted SGD500. This includes transport, regulation, key bed refelt, key re-bush, hammer reshape, repin, voicing, spacing, a few string replacement, & tuning.

#84225 - 05/20/08 09:20 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm...OK. If you like the Kemble tone then I guess having it worked over could be worth a shot. Tough call. Did you like any of the pianos on Mr Kwan's shop floor?

#84226 - 05/20/08 10:23 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
didu Offline

Actually, the old piano has not much sentimental value. So our family is leanig towards option (2).
We plan to visit some piano shops to see what's currently available on the market, and to talk to the shop owners. I think it's going to be a learning experience. Until then can we make a proper decision on which option to take.

#84227 - 05/21/08 03:52 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
macdoc Offline

There is a nice Yamaha U5 at Emmanuel and Sons right now .....

#84228 - 05/21/08 04:29 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
didu Offline

Thanks

#84229 - 05/22/08 08:15 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
macdoc Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by macdoc:
..... is there any place that can audition Yamahas and Kawais side by side? [/b]
To answer my own question.

If you are lucky, you might find some equivalent Yamahas and Kawais at E&S, (well tuned and may even be better sounding than those you find at the Yamaha/Kawai showrooms respectively) that you may compare and get an idea of how they handle/sound.

Unlike some audio-video dealers selling different brands of equipment who may actually tweak the settings of different branded TV sets on display to maximise the impact of sets that sells with higher profit margin, Mr Kwan has no such motives. In my search for a piano, he was one of those that came across as knowledgeable, service oriented, courteous and trustworthy. And I guess his only business motive would be to re-sell as many pianos, new or used, to as many customers as possible.

#84230 - 05/22/08 11:45 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
macdoc Offline

Pssst ....... look here ...

http://piano-chronicles.blogspot.com/

#84231 - 05/22/08 12:03 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

#84232 - 05/24/08 07:41 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
didu Offline

Does anyone knows when did Kawai start producing their uprights in China?

#84233 - 05/26/08 10:14 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Davinci Offline

Haloha all,

Phew...Finally!!! i've finish reading all the post here. Well i have to say that this thread deserve a Big THUMB UP fm me coz it really educate me somehow or rather from knowing nothing to "i think i know something" and of course a great place for ppl of same interest to gather to discuss and share whatsoever.

As to which piano to choose etc, there's already a whole lot of feedbacks, informations and comments on different brands etc from the previous posts which i'm glad i've read them. And of coz will continue to read as much from LARRY FINE WITH UNDERSTANDING i hope!!!

However i do have some questions and need advise and help here.

1)It was mentioned on the previous post to hear what a good piano sound is and pay Raffles Piano a visit. It is viable even if i cant afford luxury? Was wondering what does German piano sound like thou.

2)Everyone's suggesting to get a technician if i'm serious getting a piano be it new or used. Does anyone have contacts of a good technician? are they willingly to check or competitors' piano rather than their own should i spot my potential elsewhere?

3)What should be the proper procedure? Do i select my intended purchase, place deposit then get a technician to view til he signal green light and then proceed full payment?

3)And of course what's the rate of engaging them? Do they charge per hour basis or per piano inspected? Most imptly how can i prevent issues such that the technician could probably known the dealers etc....

4) In all is it really necessary for someone who's relatively new like me to engage a technician? Or simply who can i turn to in my piano hunting? (Am sourcing for 2 piano: for me and my fren)

5) or anyone can share the whole hunting experience?

Currently I've to stop my piano lessons as each time is getting harder. And without a piano is really UNBEARABLE!

#84234 - 05/26/08 11:08 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
macdoc Offline

Piano technician in SG .... hmmmm

Good/reliable piano technician in SG ....... hmmmmmmmm

Independent good/reliable piano technician in SG .... hmmmmmmmm.

BTW what is your budget? Prob easier to start somehere other than to get a piano tech - your search may not even take off, unless you do have a good friend who happens to be a reliable piano technician.

German sound? Hmmmm ...... a well designed, impeccably crafted piano of carefully and stringently selected components lovingly put together and massaged tenderly to put forth the best possible sound ...... and of course quality that lasts ...... must this be German?

Does a German designed piano with German components and a German name put forth "German" sound?

#84235 - 05/26/08 11:18 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Go for page 100 folks!!

By then someone who has started reading this incredible thread could have been a pretty good player already...

[being able to anwser most of the questions here himself...]

Norbert

#84236 - 05/26/08 02:45 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Davinci, I have PM'd you.

#84237 - 05/28/08 10:44 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Davinci Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by macdoc:
Piano technician in SG .... hmmmm

Good/reliable piano technician in SG ....... hmmmmmmmm

Independent good/reliable piano technician in SG .... hmmmmmmmm.

BTW what is your budget? Prob easier to start somehere other than to get a piano tech - your search may not even take off, unless you do have a good friend who happens to be a reliable piano technician.

German sound? Hmmmm ...... a well designed, impeccably crafted piano of carefully and stringently selected components lovingly put together and massaged tenderly to put forth the best possible sound ...... and of course quality that lasts ...... must this be German?

Does a German designed piano with German components and a German name put forth "German" sound? [/b]
i maybe ignorance but seems german piano has given much attention as a ROLEX watch. Of course it doesnt have to be german everything to produce a german sound. Its just like having a normal watch, you probably interested to know what a ROLEX watch is. :rolleyes:

#84238 - 05/28/08 03:26 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
macdoc Offline

Chiupiano in Thomson Plaza has a wide selection of German pianos.

http://www.chiupiano.com.sg/home.asp

Same for Cristofori in Funan/Bedok. They also has a decent selection of MIC/MIK German pianos.

#84239 - 05/28/08 03:50 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
I sometimes don't know what people mean by "German sound"

But I'm an expert in "German made"

I am.

Norbert \:D

#84240 - 05/29/08 07:56 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
timbo77 Offline

I highly recommend Chiu Piano -- Ernest Chiu is very knowledgeable and has a good selection of German pianos. I bought my piano (Schimmel 124) from him about a year ago and have been very happy with the piano and the after-sales service.

#84241 - 05/30/08 03:56 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
RichterForever Offline

Check out SSO's latest season. Emmanuel Ax playing Chopin's 2nd on 27 June. Others include Marc-Andre Hamelin, Yefim Bronfman, Sergio Tiempo, Nikolai Demidenko, Vladimir Feltsman, Nelson Goerner, Boris Berezovsky, Barry Douglas. Fantastic line-up of pianists.

#84242 - 05/30/08 04:29 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
satay16 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by timbo77:
I highly recommend Chiu Piano -- Ernest Chiu is very knowledgeable and has a good selection of German pianos. I bought my piano (Schimmel 124) from him about a year ago and have been very happy with the piano and the after-sales service. [/b]
yeah, tried his 185 and 200(not in his store) b4. one thing about him is that he gives you a very close quote to his actual price directly.

hee hee, got once quite embarassing when i tried his piano with his door opened. the whole shopping center like heard me play. \:D

#84243 - 06/01/08 07:14 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Davinci Offline

thanks for all the feedback, will try to visit Chiu Piano. However, I think i can only get a used piano since "buying for lifetime" may not be approriate for someone buying the first piano.

Btw i saw the advertise that K3 is selling at sgd 7600. Will new K3 be comparable to those used piano of height abt 130? Am looking for taller piano with subtainability,deep base and clear treble etc.i played the shorter piano at the esplanade library. It sound ok but still i feel lack of something..but dunno what is that...

#84244 - 06/01/08 08:48 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
macdoc Offline

K3 is 121. There has really NOT been much advances in piano tech the last ?years in spite of the marketing hype. I would think it would be a bit difficult to compare a 120 to a 130 type piano for similar sound characteristics. As an analogy, the price of a brand new Camry may get you a second hand Audi A4. Or the price of a brand new Merc C200 would get you a second hand Lexus ES300.

Do try E and S at MacKenzie Rd for decently serviced/refurbished second hand pianos. Also Cristofori at Bedok seem to have a fairly large range, too.

#84245 - 06/01/08 10:35 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
neerod Offline

My U1 piano was delivered abt 1 mth ago, and one of the keys has a buzzing zzz-ing sound shortly after. My teacher said could be the pin is loose?

Told the tuner abt it when he tuned on Sat, but the buzzing returned again after he left..

Can anyone help? Thanks.

#84246 - 06/01/08 11:07 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Note which key it is and get the tech to come back to look specifically at that one, regardless of whether it is buzzing when he's there or not. \:\)

#84247 - 06/02/08 10:45 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Davinci Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Digitus:
Davinci, I have PM'd you. [/b]
Hi Digitus,

Ur private mailbox is full so i may as well write here. Have read your article, very detailed information and you hit the point... "increasing budget by some big number" I was even thinking of credit card loans beforehand. But after much thinking, instead of getting a new piano which i always thought to use it for lifetime. Proboably a 2nd hand would be a better bet for me. (in term of money, resale value, depreciation etc and of coz i wont be satisfied to just played one type and brand)

Whichever the case seems like i can only trust my judgements and knowledge and perhaps with some lucks as well.

#84248 - 06/02/08 11:10 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Davinci,

Sorry about the mailbox. Have cleared it out. A second-hand piano can be very satisfying too, if properly looked after and tuned. As long as in your mind you are happy with where you are in the balance between $$$ and satisfaction then whatever piano you get will be good.

Don't go the credit card route! \:D It's not worth it.

I hope you find a nice piano soon!

#84249 - 06/02/08 08:59 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
cmk Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Davinci:

However i do have some questions and need advise and help here.

1)It was mentioned on the previous post to hear what a good piano sound is and pay Raffles Piano a visit. It is viable even if i cant afford luxury? Was wondering what does German piano sound like thou.

2)Everyone's suggesting to get a technician if i'm serious getting a piano be it new or used. Does anyone have contacts of a good technician? are they willingly to check or competitors' piano rather than their own should i spot my potential elsewhere?

3)What should be the proper procedure? Do i select my intended purchase, place deposit then get a technician to view til he signal green light and then proceed full payment?

3)And of course what's the rate of engaging them? Do they charge per hour basis or per piano inspected? Most imptly how can i prevent issues such that the technician could probably known the dealers etc....

4) In all is it really necessary for someone who's relatively new like me to engage a technician? Or simply who can i turn to in my piano hunting? (Am sourcing for 2 piano: for me and my fren)

5) or anyone can share the whole hunting experience?

Currently I've to stop my piano lessons as each time is getting harder. And without a piano is really UNBEARABLE! [/b]
1) Whether you want to get a new/used piano, it is always good to have a reference point, so that you know what you are looking for. There are many variables with a piano, and Alvin will be able to guide you even if you do not buy.

I think the rest of your questions are inter-related. Since you are playing the piano, you should personally play/touch/feel the pianos. After the visit to Raffles, you will have a better idea.

Having a good tech is absolutely necessary to maintain the investment. Whether your tech goes with you to search is up to you, but really the decision on the piano should be yours, not the tech.

If this is your first piano, sticking with a "safe" bet would be a Yamaha, Kawai, Petrof, or Bohemia. Go and try each out and see which you prefer in terms of touch and sound.

The search is usually a very exciting time. Good luck.

#84250 - 06/02/08 09:59 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Piano
clustek Offline

quote:
Originally posted by neerod
--------------------------------------------------------
My U1 piano was delivered abt 1 mth ago, and one of the keys has a buzzing zzz-ing sound shortly after. My teacher said could be the pin is loose?

Told the tuner abt it when he tuned on Sat, but the buzzing returned again after he left..

Can anyone help? Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------

Neerod,

Personal experience with my piano that I bought last November, One particular key (high E) had the Buzzing zzz-ing sound as per what you had described. The technician came in to tune at least 3~4 times, they checked everything - tunning, sound board, hammer and strings but this buzzing sound just refuse to go away.

Finally, they sent an experienced Technician, after checking and hearing the buzzing sound. He reached for the ceiling light above my piano and remove the light bulb. Amazingly the next time I knew the Buzzing sound just disappeared. He said that this got to do with some frequency resonance produce by that particular high E with some of the surrounding objects - Be it Metal or Glass.

This might not be your case but if the Buzzing sound still exist after checking and tunning, maybe you may wish to check the objects around your piano.

Hope this will help.

Cheers

Page 42 of 91 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (36251, Almaviva, ADWyatt, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1168 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153597 Topics
2251159 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission