Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 67 of 90 < 1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 89 90 >
Topic Options
#1163502 - 03/16/09 09:30 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
Bihua Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi fogandflower,

I wouldn't choose (C) coz it has rusted pins although it is 7 to 8 years younger.

Are they both just imported from Japan one, or had been in Singapore for a while? Is it indicated that the first owner (at the warranty card) as Singapore?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1163536 - 03/16/09 10:57 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
fogandflower Offline

hi bihua, i think the pianos have been in Singapore for a while. The first owner are Japanese. The record is the tuning record.

#1163873 - 03/16/09 11:12 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
Bihua Offline

(B) is better. But remember, any piano cannot last very long in Singapore normal household condition, at around 20 years with just heating rod, piano cover and occassional aircon because of our weather here. So try to choose the one that had been least exposed to Singapore's humidity in terms of number of years.

Bottom line is, choose the one you like, and if you've bargained for the price you want, go for it.

#1163925 - 03/17/09 04:34 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
fogandflower Offline

hi buhua, do you mean the piano should with lesser years in singapore will be better?

#1163931 - 03/17/09 05:14 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bihua
But remember, any piano cannot last very long in Singapore normal household condition, at around 20 years with just heating rod, piano cover and occassional aircon because of our weather here. So try to choose the one that had been least exposed to Singapore's humidity in terms of number of years.

May I know your reasons for saying so? And why the 20-year life-span? Why not 10 years or 30 years?

I know that with a heater, full piano cover and no aircon, the RH inside an upright can be kept around 60% or even slightly lower in most locations in Singapore (except places that face secondary forests, e.g. Bukit Timah). 60% is within the range recommended for pianos by even European manufacturers. May I know why you would not consider this acceptable for long-term?

Edited by Roxane (03/17/09 05:15 AM)

#1164356 - 03/17/09 09:48 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Roxane]
Bihua Offline

20 years is just an estimate. Below is the link which I asked about humidity months back when I was deciding to buy my piano, and wat i was advised...so I am just sharing it here...

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/201534/Searchpage/1/Main/15063/Words/new+Hailun/Search/true/Re:%20New%20Hailun%20125%20vs%2026%20yo%20Ya.html#Post201534

#1164473 - 03/18/09 04:23 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
fogandflower Offline

after 2weeks? or 3 weeks searching, i finally place the order on yamaha U3H. It will be delivered soon.

#1164476 - 03/18/09 04:44 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fogandflower
after 2weeks? or 3 weeks searching, i finally place the order on yamaha U3H. It will be delivered soon.

Congratulations! The U3 is a nice piano. Did you buy used or new in the end? Kay-poh minds want to know... grin

Edited by Roxane (03/18/09 04:45 AM)

#1164586 - 03/18/09 11:42 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Roxane]
Bihua Offline

Congratulations! 2 to 3 weeks of searching not considered long lah. smile I also KAY-POH....which one you bought in the end?

#1164890 - 03/18/09 08:33 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
fogandflower Offline

hi roxane, I bought a used one in the end.

Bihua, i bought the (B).

#1165048 - 03/19/09 12:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: chihuahua]
Sheue Offline

Originally Posted By: chihuahua
Hi everybody,

Been busy practicing for lessons/exams bleh bleh bleh, got so many new songs to learn leh ... hiyah ... back to the topic lor, although I do not "love" the dealer (hint wink wink), I got to say the ABS action is far more responsive than say it's major competitor's piano action. IMHO, this is my opinion. Try it, then tell me if that's so. wink

Hello Senior!

I'm just a junior m'ber but would like to share my experience. I own a 3-mth old Kawai K8 (with ABS carbon action) and my sister owns a Yamaha U5 (no longer in sale but should be equivalent to YUS5). I tried Chopin's Black Key Etude (pretty fast piece) on both. Kawai does feel slightly more responsive but the difference is little. For pieces at moderate tempo, I bet you can't tell the difference. While Kawai may be superior in terms of repetitive action, it won't make a fast piece easier to play than say a Yamaha and nothing beats diligent practice in my opinion smile

#1165124 - 03/19/09 05:53 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Sheue]
fogandflower Offline

anyone knows why the there is a small red thing in the middle? Is it original?

This is yamaha U3H.

Edited by fogandflower (03/19/09 05:54 AM)

#1165125 - 03/19/09 05:54 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
fogandflower Offline

#1165210 - 03/19/09 11:08 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
tanjinjack Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Malaysia
That is the damper.

Usually, there's two dampers for each notes. But the plate is blocking the dampers to be positioned below the first visual-able damper, so the 2nd damper has to be installed at the top.

My poor piano doesn't have that and that note just likes to sustain. LOL!

But I may be wrong. What I say is just my guess when I play around with my piano only. But I guess it shouldn't be off too far also.

#1165240 - 03/19/09 12:01 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Sheue]
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
Yo Junior!

Yep, nothing beats diligent practice in my opinion too, and very little "things" beat my favorite few - Bosendorfer Phoenix and the SK-X. laugh

Nevertheless, a poorly regulated and tuned piano will definitely "beat" my practice and performance. LOL!

Hiyah, I'm no fan of Robert lah ... you like Yamaha just look for Alex from Tampines or the Alex from Plaza Singapura. One is older while the other is younger lah ... haha! (fei4 hua4 right?) My technician from RP just visit me less than one hour in six months to tune piano only - not free some more. Got to get my own concert tech to regulate and voice some more. You think I happy customer?

#1165533 - 03/19/09 08:34 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: tanjinjack]
fogandflower Offline

hello tanjinjack, thanks for the reply. Seems Kawai don't have this kind of design.

#1165544 - 03/19/09 09:17 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
Bihua Offline

hello tanjinjack, does that work the same way as the middle pedal of a grand piano. My poor piano don't have that function, only to make it softer to play at night.

#1165547 - 03/19/09 09:22 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Bihua Offline

hello fogandflower, the piano inside look nice leh, very clean. Can share more pictures? Hehe smile

#1165646 - 03/20/09 01:34 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
fogandflower Offline

only have two more. laugh

#1165703 - 03/20/09 06:54 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for sharing the photos! Looks very new internally. Btw, your lace piano cover will not help maintain the RH within the piano – for that you need the full cover. However, the synthetic material used in commercial covers might not be the best for high humidity because I had some mould on the cover of my previous grand, which was not in air-con. On the other hand, with the cover I made (by my own hands, I might add) using cotton for my U3X did not lead to mould, and the best thing was that I could wash it as often as I liked, unlike synthetic covers that usually require dry-cleaning. Just a thought...

#1165784 - 03/20/09 10:15 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Roxane]
fogandflower Offline

hello Roxane, thanks for reminding.

i am plan to change a table runner later, hope it will helpful.

By the way, normally what you guys use to prevent ants, insects in the piano?

#1165791 - 03/20/09 10:34 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
tanjinjack Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow, more than 2000 posts already. Geng leh!

#1165818 - 03/20/09 11:32 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: tanjinjack]
Bihua Offline

My technician says use the black color dried star star thingy (some dried food)and hang it near the hammers. Can prevent insects...

#1165819 - 03/20/09 11:34 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Bihua Offline

Don't use thirsty hippo inside the piano! I tried with my previous piano and it doesn't work, but actually make it worse...

#1165837 - 03/20/09 11:58 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
tanjinjack Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bihua
My technician says use the black color dried star star thingy (some dried food)and hang it near the hammers. Can prevent insects...

You mean 八角? A kind of food? I guess it's herb.. Not sure..

#1165842 - 03/20/09 12:05 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fogandflower]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fogandflower
hello Roxane, thanks for reminding.

i am plan to change a table runner later, hope it will helpful.

By the way, normally what you guys use to prevent ants, insects in the piano?

Table runner, as in long table cloth? Won't help with RH either – you need the full wrap around cover. In these economic times, you might actually be able to get someone to sew one for you cheap!

#1165862 - 03/20/09 12:50 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: chihuahua]
Sheue Offline

Yo Snr!

I can understand cos I share the same experience. Had my 1st tuning on my K8 done last week. The technician fr RP made 3 visits but still can't it right!

This is what happened: After 1st tuning, I spotted a couple of keys especially on the high octaves with inconsistent tone after his servicing. They were obvious cos those keys produced very piercing sound. I feedback to RP via email with the problematic keys identified. They sent him down a second time but he called me when he was at my place saying that he didnt find anything wrong (I was in office). We then arranged another visit when I was at home so that I could tell him exactly what the problems were. The way he resolved the piercing sound problem was to use a 2-needle tool and rubbed it against the hammer head to lossen it. While this may ease the piercing sound problem, it also tone-down the sound. In his kind intention to make the sound consistent, he did it on all the keys on the upper 2 octaves instead of just the problematic ones! OMG now I feel there's a dampener when I play the high octaves and the touch is horrible. I did feedback to him on spot but he said if he tone up those keys again (by using an iron), they will all be very piercing and said the sound should project again after few weeks of playing.

There was another problem with a key which had a foreign sound when being hit. It was obvious to me esp since the other keys did not have this foreign sound. But he couldn't hear it and insisted there was none. He nevertheless "trusted" my hearing and kept adjusting the tone/pitch of that key and asked me if I could still hear it after each adjustment! I kept telling him the problem has nothing to do with tone/pitch and after long investigation, we finally found the root of the problem which was the board rather than the string/hammer. He could finally hear the foreign sound by hitting the key with the musical sound fully muted!

I don't know what to do now except to trust him that all these problems with pitching, inconsistent tone are due to my piano being very new and it will improve with time. Its actually hard to convince myself cos the touch was so much better before his servce. This technician as I understand is the most experienced one in RP and to be fair, he's a nice guy and has been patient throughout. I just hope my upper 2 octaves will start to "sing" again soon...

Snr, u said the technician spent <1hr on your piano. That doesn't sound right cos this guy spent at least 1 1/2 hrs to tune mine which is consistent with what the sales person told me. Yours is a grand (you own RX right?) which logically should take longer than upright. Anyone with tunning experience to share, especially on new pianos?

#1165871 - 03/20/09 01:06 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Sheue Offline

I think the best way to prevent insects in piano is to play in daily! wink

#1166049 - 03/20/09 06:55 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
fogandflower Offline

hi bihua, may i know where to buy those black star star thingy?

#1166050 - 03/20/09 06:56 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Sheue]
fogandflower Offline

hi sheue, does it work? But anyway, we will have vacations sometime. So i'd better find some other solutions. wink

Edited by fogandflower (03/20/09 07:03 PM)

Page 67 of 90 < 1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 89 90 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (beeboss, Beemer, 36251, Al LaPorte, Atrys, Asmodeus, 17 invisible), 1174 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153494 Topics
2249228 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
04/16/14 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
04/15/14 11:58 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission