2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 136 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 135 136
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Where exactly are you from doremi?

Singlish is quaint. The English spoken in Malasia is similar. English in Singapore and Malaysia has long been classified as a dialect, officially known as ESM, the English of Singapore and Malaysia.

You are right, Singlish is a mish mash of English, words from various Chinese dialects and Malay. One endearing aspect of Singlish is to express things as economically as possible. The grammar is often mangled. See Features of Singapore Colloquail English . laugh

Originally posted by doremi:
I like Singlish with lah, lor, paiseh, etc although I don't know exactly what the words mean and can only guess at the meanings. Is it a mix of English, Malay, and Chinese? It amuses me to no end.

G
G
I would like to request for assistance from anyone out there with a yamaha piano to open up the base of the piano and take a look to see if there is a serial number on the soundboard, and compare that to the serial number that is stamped on the gold coloured plate (on the top right).
Is it the same number?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Perhaps snoopycar can oblige with his U1A. smile

Originally posted by golfer:
I would like to request for assistance from anyone out there with a yamaha piano to open up the base of the piano and take a look to see if there is a serial number on the soundboard, and compare that to the serial number that is stamped on the gold coloured plate (on the top right).
Is it the same number?

Originally posted by Digitus:
Where exactly are you from doremi?

[b]I like Singlish with lah, lor, paiseh, etc although I don't know exactly what the words mean and can only guess at the meanings. Is it a mix of English, Malay, and Chinese? It amuses me to no end.
[/b]
Digitus, my guess is he/she is not from Hong Kong and definitely not from Indonesia. I think he has heard of the lahs, lors, paisehs (and more) often in his daily life. He doesn't use them himself but is amused by them. As he doesn't know Malaysia uses them too, he must be a foreigner (maybe a PR) in SINGAPORE!!! laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am so happy laugh that this mysterious person (me) can amuse you all too laugh mutual amusement is good for the soul laugh just like playing Mozart on the piano laugh

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Digitus:
Perhaps snoopycar can oblige with his U1A. smile

Originally posted by golfer:
[b] I would like to request for assistance from anyone out there with a yamaha piano to open up the base of the piano and take a look to see if there is a serial number on the soundboard, and compare that to the serial number that is stamped on the gold coloured plate (on the top right).
Is it the same number?
[/b]
Hello ... Hoo Say Boo...

Yah I check leow... the soundboard serial is different for piano serial. My U1 is 39xxxxx, soundboard is 190xxx

hehehe

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
J.C Offline
hmm can pianos be made for tropical climate? lol i thought they jus add a heater in. hmmm

J.C Offline
erm hey people. let me ask a crazy question. my dad wants to put my piano beside the 6 feet fish tank. with just a gap of a few inches. and i'm freaking out. will it be tooo humid? or smth like dat. my teacher told me to put it away from auqariums, tiolets etcetc.

he said it will be okay. -.-''' i don't believe him.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There's been lots and lots of discussion about this in many threads. The answer is half a yes. There are things that a manufacturer can do to help a piano be more resilient in a tropical climate. But you still need to take care. smile

Originally posted by J.C:
hmm can pianos be made for tropical climate? lol i thought they jus add a heater in. hmmm

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When in doubt, don't do it! But if he insists then I guess he's got to accept the risk. :p

Originally posted by J.C:
erm hey people. let me ask a crazy question. my dad wants to put my piano beside the 6 feet fish tank. with just a gap of a few inches. and i'm freaking out. will it be tooo humid? or smth like dat. my teacher told me to put it away from auqariums, tiolets etcetc.

he said it will be okay. -.-''' i don't believe him.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You are SUCH a teaser! laugh And I'm spending too much time on PW again.... help

I am so happy laugh that this mysterious person (me) can amuse you all too laugh mutual amusement is good for the soul laugh just like playing Mozart on the piano laugh

Jay Offline
Get a moisture meter and see what it reads.

Personally, I won't put a piano anywhere near a fish tank because it will be too humid. What I was told is the water level in the tank drops daily. Just, imagine where it goes?

E
E
i'm guessing not lar... fish tank? ouch!!
anyway yesterday i decided to drop by Emmanuel and Sons and they are moving!! so if anyone wants to go pay Mr Kwan a visit, please don't do so until... maybe after Jan 2nd, after he has managed to move everything across.
he is moving to MacKenzie road, i don't know very well, but what i can tell you is that it is very near the old Rex theatre, turning towards Bukit Timah Road (which means, besides Rex, the two nearest landmarks i can think of are Tekka Mall and KK Women and Children's Hospital)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ah! Getting a hygrometer is a good idea! You can pick one up from any Homefix store for about $10. They are accurate to about +-5% or so, but that's enough for you to get a good idea of the RH near the fish tank. Slightly pricier ones even record the lowest and highest readings in the last 24 hour period.

Originally posted by Jay:
Get a moisture meter and see what it reads.

Personally, I won't put a piano anywhere near a fish tank because it will be too humid. What I was told is the water level in the tank drops daily. Just, imagine where it goes?

doremi:

well, you still haven't answer our question. smile

eFatz:

Thank for the info. smile The last time I visited E&S in early dec, he still hasn't decide where to move to. I think E&S is the dealer for Estonia in S'pore, but there wasn't any Estonia grands in his showroom. I hope he will bring in some models once he settles down in the new location.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am not important lah! smokin

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Heheh...he/she's learning fast. laugh

I am not important lah! smokin

Jay Offline
indigo... I thought Estonia in Singapore is distributed by Chiu Pianos at Upper Thomson Road.

OTH, can anybody tell me Chiu Piano and Music Plaza are they same? My old notebook tells me that they share the same address.
I remember long long years ago, Music Plaza was part of Yamaha Singapore only distributing European pianos?

Jay, I think your info may be wrong. The namecard Mr Kwan gave me has an Estonia logo on it. He has recently responded to a thread in PW quoting the price for Estonia 168 and 190: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/20444.html
Chiu piano's website doesn't mention anything about Estonia so I suppose they are not Estonia's dealer.

I tried searching for Music Plaza's address at eguide.com.sg and it showed the same address as Yamaha at Plaza Singapura. I didn't see any European pianos there. Maybe, they have another showroom on the same floor which I didn't notice?

Jay Offline
Thanks indigo for correcting me. Maybe it is now Mr. Kwan. I got the information from Singapore Buying Guide 2005. I guess it must be out-dated and is about time to sell it to the newspaper collector for some money. laugh

Page 48 of 136 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission